Awkward

The secret of the music box

Youngjun’s POV

 

 

«Youngjun! Youngjun?»

 

I opened my eyes slowly and- as I tried to move- an intense pain crossed my back.

 «Ouch!» I mumbled and tried to move again.

 

Where am I sleeping…?

 

«Youngjun? Are you alright?» the knock on my bedroom’s door was repeated.

 

 I groaned something, but my body is still so stiff and my head so sleepy that no result came out.

 

The door slighlty creaked open and a ray of light brightened the darkness of my room. Our oldest maid, Eunsun, stepped slowly in; I can see her through my half- opened eyes smiling at me.

 

«Youngjun, yah, why are you sleeping on the floor again?» she asked me, more cheerfully than such a question should probably be asked.

 I tried again to move my numb body. I was about to place my hands on each side of my body- to help myself- when I accidentally hit my acoustic guitar, which I had forgotten that it was lying on my extended legs. I gasped, my eyes now wide open and immediately grabbed and hugged it.

 

«Aigoo, aigoo. Here, let me help you…» Eunsun rolled her eyes and then offered me a hand.

«Thank you, nana.» I finally got up with her help, all of my body muscles in terrible pain.

I looked around in the darkness, holding my waist with my hands.

 

I fell asleep on the floor again. *sighs*

 

Nana (that’s how I call Eunsun) headed for my window and opened abruptly the shutters, pure sunlight being diffused in every corner of my bedroom.

Me, just like a vampire, yelped and covered my now also aching eyes.

 

«Yah! Nana! I just woke up!» I whined and fell on my bed.

She sighed and didn’t pay attention to me, dusting some of the books on my desk.

«It’s a burning August, Youngjun! How can you keep your shutters closed day and night? It’s not healthy!» she murmured as she was quickly tidying up around.

I remained speechless and comforted myself better on my bed.

Ah, so soft and nice.

 

I like darkness. I like working in the darkness.

And she knows that already. So, no need to ask me really. Or, alternatively, no need for me to answer.

 

«Don’t comfort yourself, mister… Get up! Get up because… Yah, Youngjun! What a mess is this again?»

I looked, completely expressionless, at the spot that I had fallen asleep last night and that nana is now pointing at.

Next to my guitar, hundreds of music notes and two pens are scattered on the floor.

Ooops~

Hehe, I was working a lot yesterday. Lots of inspiration.

 

I closed my eyes again and grinned with sleepiness.

«I’ll tidy everything up once I wake up, nana… Now, let me sleep, I need it.»

I received a pillow on my head.

 

«I said, you have to get up, young master!» she raised her tone.

«Who says that??» I raised mine, too.

«Your parents! They sent me to wake you up, otherwise I wouldn’t bother your dark nirvana…» she whined and bent to collect the music notes from the floor.

«Ugh, leave them aside, I said I’ll do it!» I finally held her wrist firmly and lifted my upper body from the mattress. «And why do I have to wake up, according to my parents?» I raised an eyebrow, feeling my nerves tensed.

«Because in an about half an hour, guests will be here for brunch and probably lunch. And that’s the ONLY thing I know, little one.» she patted my head and pulled my ear gently.

 

I growled and got up, still my whole body in pain.

«Little one»??? Jesus, I’m ing 23!!

 I’m already pissed enough that my parents are telling me what to do! But they will see… The time is coming that I’ll be independant.

I don’t need their money. I don’t need their anything.

 

I collected the last papers from the floor and left them on the desk. I looked at them for one more time and gasped.

 

«Wait. When did you say that they are coming?» I turned abruptly to nana.

«In half an hour…?» she half- closed her eyes.

«Oh, damn it!» I cursed and kicked my chair.

 

I have practice with my band in an hour!!!

The rest of LEDApple will kill me and the problem is that I’m the leader!!! What will they do without me, then?

 

Nana looked at me with the corner of her eyes.

 

«You have something to do?»

 

I bit my lip and then sighed, trying to act cool.

It might go in vein, because nana knows me very well. I grew up with her. But let’s try.

 

 I moved my head negatively.

 

«Aniyo. I… I just wanted to sleep a little more and definitely more comfortably.» I rubbed the back of my neck.

 

She didn’t stop looking at me suspiciously and coughed a little.

I can’t let her know about LEDApple. At least for now. Even though, I’m sure she knows I’m going somewhere every day to do something with my guitar.

But that’s what I’ve been doing my whole childhood and adolscence.

 

«I’ll just believe in your words without any further request.» she finally sighed and handed me the last of my music notes from the floor. «Now, change clothes and come downastairs. You missed breakfast anyways.»

 

 I huffed- rolling my eyes- and palmed my face.

 I just want to sleep.

 But I’m more bored to talk further about it; there’ll be no positive outcome anyways.

 

 As nana was leaving the room, I remembered to yell: «Wait, who’s coming?», but, after a few seconds of silence, I realised she was gone.

 

Cool. Now, I don’t even have an idea who’s gonna ruin my practice.

And my comfortable sleep.

 

I dragged myself in front of my wardrobe and opened it with the slowest movements ever.

I’m sick and tired of doing things for my parents’ popularity’s and money’s sake. Because I know that every meeting of theirs has something to do with these.

But however bothersome they might be, they are the best way to keep my parents calm that I’m doing what they want. I usually appear to their meetings when they ask it, say or do nothing, then our guests leave and everyone is happy.

This is what my parents always expected me to do anyways. To follow them, listen and learn their business things.

But boo-hoo.

What a shame.

I always hated this kind of . And this will never change.

 

I pulled the pair of my white jeans and a marine blue shirt.

Nothing too much for this occasion. Just usual stuff. Something casual, to be comfortable for the practice.

 

 What?

Did you think that I’m gonna really miss my practice?

Hell no.

 

I sighed and pulled my t- shirt a little violently.

I just have to endure a couple of boring-to-death hours.

--

 

As soon as I got dowstairs, I met my mom in front of the main stairs of our house.

 

«Ah, you are here, finally!» she exclaimed.

«Ehm, yes?» I sighed with boredom.

«Perfect. Wear your shoes and meet your father at the back garden. This is where we will host our guests. And hurry, because they will be here in any minute!» she slightly pushed me towards the side patio door.

 

«Hey, wait… Who’s gonna be here?» I tried to ask her, but as Eunsun passed behind her, my mom’s attention was immediately distracted.

«Eunsun- ah! Prepare the lemonades and make them cold, huh? Youngjun, fix your hair!» she moved her hands hurriedly and ran behind Eunsun to boss her more around.

 

 My hair? MY HAIR?

I always take care of my hair!!!

 

I gasped and hurried to check myself at a mirror.

Lol, everything is fine.

My mom simply can’t get used to me dying my hair dark blond. I also did it without asking her (I’m a 23- year- old man, what a surprise, huh) and that’s another reason that she was intensely bothered. And now, everytime she sees me, she’s telling me that my hair needs to be fixed. I usually don’t pay attention to her comments, but today, sleepy and tired as I am, I just thought she was commenting for something real/ serious.

 

 Once in the garden, I found my father, wearing his glasses and reading a bunch of papers, seated under the pavilion, next to the pool. I drew my breath and approached him.

 

«Good morning.» I said without coloring my voice and found a seat on the other side of the table.

«Come to sit next to me. My guest will also sit next to me, so you’ll be able to hear our talks.» he patted, not with a really friendly look, the chair next to him.

«I’m fine here.»

«Come here, Youngjun.» his voice sounded stricter this time and I simply got up and sat where he told me.

 

Do as they say, buddy. It’ll be over sooner or later…

 

I extended my hand to grab a sandwich, but my father looked at me again in the same way.

 

«I’m hungry.» I moved my shoulders and got my sandwich, he, huffing with dissatisfaction.

«You act like a child, you know that?» he commented bitterly.

«It’s not my fault. Besides… My friends always consider me extremely serious and rarely playful. I think they know me better than you do…» I added, already half of my food in my mouth.

«Which friends?» he raised an eyebrow and I gulped roughly.

«Why do you ask? As if you know any of them.» I managed to remain calm and return the eyebrow- raising.

«I wish I could meet them, to see what kind of persons have such a bad influence on you.»

«Aish, I don’t want to start a fight with you, so stop it here, please…» I protested, feeling my patience slowly ruuning out.

 

Ding, dong~

 

Oh, great. Our mysterious guests are here.

 

My father got immediately up and looked at me, of course to imitate him.

I can hear all the giggles and greetings from the entrance, approaching the garden.

 

I ate the last bite of my sandwich, clapped my hands to clean them from the crumbs and finally got up.

This is when our guests set their feet on our garden.

 I placed my hands in my pants’ pockets and turned to face them.

 

Ah.

The Parks.

Good. At least, they aren’t annoying.

 

 

 

 

Reader’s POV

 

 

Hanbyul, having warmed up his voice enough, grabbed a chocolate and quickly unwrapped it. Kyumin and Hyoseok are playing around with the piano, while the first is trying to teach the latter one how to play it right. Kwangyeon was trying to tune his bass, but suddenly he sighed and stopped his efforts.

 

It’s difficult without Youngjun.

He knows how to conduct everything around and always effectively.

So, without him, things can easily become like they are now.

 

Kwangyeon looked at Hanbyul and smirked.

 

«Aish, control yourself with chocolates! Ivy is going to abandon you if you are fat!» he finally started laughing and hurried to approach the vocalist.

 Hanbyul frowned and made his chew slower for just a second.

 

«We both love chocolates, as you already know, so there’s no such fear. Besides, this is a gift; a Belgian chocolate from a fan. I can’t leave it now that I’ve started it…» he grinned and started chewing normally again.

 

«Then, share it!» the bassist extended his hand and Hanbyul sighed with disappointment.

«Ugh, OK. You’re lucky, because I have a good heart.» he momently whined, but afterwards cut half of his chocolate and gave it to Kwangyeon, who smiled happily and hugged his friend.

«Thanks, hyungie.»

 

A knock on the door of their practice room interrupted their pleasant break and they all stopped what they were doing to look at the newcomer.

 

Their manager, Chusang, got in, with his usual friendly smile on his face. He, however, paused his happy route once he noticed his band’s corrupting image.

 

«Guys! What are you doing here? Is that what you call practice?» he placed his hands on his waist, trying to act strict.

«Ehm… We’re… waiting!» Kyumin smiled, without even looking at the manager, his eyes not leaving his keyboard.

«Waiting? Waiting what?»

«Youngjun hyungie…» Hyoseok murmured happily, imitating Kyumin.

 Chusang huffed and brushed his hair with his fingers.

 

«Youngjun isn’t here? Where the hell is he?» he immediately protested.

 

«We don’t know. We called him once, but he didn’t answer.» Hanbyul stated calmly, but with a still full of chocolate mouth.

«So, what? Call him again! «Let the Wind Blow» won’t be produced magically!»

 

«Aish, don’t shout, hyung. We will call him again! We know that we have to work for the new single. Do you consider us that irresponsible? For God’s sake.» Kyumin had stopped playing the keyboard and was now looking at the manager, frowned.

 

«Ah, I don’t know what you are going to do. Just solve this out, as quickly as possible, because CEO said that he might pass from here later on. And you know what that means…» Chusang moved his finger and left, banging the door behind him.

 

Hyoseok whistled with dissatisfaction and Kyumin rubbed his temples.

 

«Great, huh?» Kwangyeon bowed his head, completely abandoned from his energy.

«It’s quite serious that CEO is coming, isn’t it? We have to find out about Youngjun as soon as possible.» Hanbyul wrapped up the rest of his chocolate and got up from the floor.

 

«Do you have anything to suggest? Because if he doesn’t pick up his phone, I can’t see what else we can do.» Kyumin commented, getting up from his piano stool also.

«Let’s try calling him and sending him some texts again.»

 

«And if this doesn’t work out? Which is quite possible, since Youngjun i obviously still sleeping…»

 

«If it doesn’t work out, I might pass from there to check what is going on.» Hanbyul moved his shoulders.

 

Hyoseok laughed.

 

«You won’t do this. He has told us not to go to his house without asking him first, right?»

 

Hanbyul did the same movement.

 

«Still, we can’t let him get exposed to the CEO like that… We have to let him know. If you have anything else to suggest, you’re welcome to do it.»

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjun’s POV

 

I tried really hard to swallow and intense yawn.

 

My dad is talking business with Mr. Park for what seems like centuries. I look at them from time to time, just to pretend that I’m paying attention.

 

Of course I don’t~

 

And that’s why this is tiring and BORING.

 

Mom is talking with Mrs Park and her daughter.

Her daughter, A… Apeuril. No. April.

 

They are talking about female stuff, which is as much boring as business.

 

I turned my attention to them.

 

«… and you know, my dear Anna, I’ve been asking from the designer to make the garden full of roses, because I like roses a lot, but he ended up using chusanthemums, because the colors are more harmonical with our house’s style and…»

AISH, my mom is blabing uncontrollably!

 

Mrs Park, though, doesn’t seem annoyed. Instead, she shakes her head in agreement, exclaims stuff and such. However, she seems much less crazy than my mom.

 

I noticed her daughter blowing her bangs and- unconsciously- I smiled.

I’m not the only one bored here, then.

 

Mrs Park is a foreigner. But she speaks fluent Korean; as far as I know their story, Mr and Mrs Park met in the USA, where both of them were for business then, got married and had their daughter, which was born and grew up in Korea.

She doesn’t seem fully Korean, concerning her appearance though. And it’s kind of sensible.

 

I breathed slowly, trying to hide my annoyance.

UGH, I’m so boooored! Haelp meee! =_=

 

«I like tullips, to be honest.» Mrs Park finally managed to talk in between of my mom’s words.

 

«Oh, yes, some particular kinds from Holland are amazing!» oma responded with super excitement.

«I’d go for jasmine, if I were you, Mrs Seo.» Apeu…, NO!, April commented, smiling to the two moms.

«You like them dear?»

«A lot really. This smell and beautiful shapes… Even my perfume has a jasmine smell, you know.»

 

Ah, something on which I can agree.

Jasmine is discreet in appearance and smells perfect.

 

«What do you think, Youngjun?» my dad’s voice was heard.

I looked at him with the corner of my eyes and gulped.

«Jasmine.» I automatically said and immediately bit my lip.

 Both men raised an eyebrow, while I heard a giggle from the girl’s mouth probably.

 

«What are you talking about?» appeoji looked at me, in a way that made me feel pissed.

«I’m sorry. I wasn’t paying attention.» I admitted and sighed.

«I’ve told you to pay attention to our words, young man! Business talks will be useful for your future!»

«It’s fine, Sungjong.» Mr Park patted my dad’s shoulder.

 My mobile vibrated and I hurried to get it in my hands.

 

«Byeol boy calling…»

 

 

Ah, great! They already started searching for me…

 

Something is wrong probably… Otherwise they wouldn’t call me, just because I’m a little late for practice. They know that with my parents’ annoying plans, I can’t really predict when I can be in time and when not.

 

He insists… I can’t answer now, though. Everybody is looking at me!

 

«Son, why don’t you go a walk around the side garden, at the small fountain, with April?» my mom tried to break the ice of the moment.

 

Ugh, no.

Boring.

 

I looked at the girl and sighed as discreetly as possible.

No.

Wait.

If I go to the side garden with her… I can escape and go to practice, without anyone scolding/ whining/ or whatevering me!

That’s it!

 

«OK, why not?» I moved my shoulders and got up from my chair with impressive speed, making my parents widen their eyes with a pleasant surprise.

 

«Oh, how nice it must be, go April!» her mom patted her shoulder and she got up hesitantly, her eyes looking low.

«Let’s go.» I simply said and started walking.

 

I felt her hurrying a little to catch my pace, until she appeared next to me.

 

Look, she isn’t that bad… I mean, we have exchanged some words during their visits or our visits to each other, these last 2 years. And she isn’t an annoying person.

She’s 18 years old, I think. If I’m not mistaken she finished school just this past June.

So, she’s a little one.

But she’s smart. She seems a little scared, hesitant always, though.

Probably it’s her parents to blame.

They’re always: «Do that, do this, this is good, this is bad, no, yes», etc.

Reminds me of myself a little.  But I don’t and never paid attention. From what I have understood, however, she did and she paid it that way.

She must be feeling very trapped.

 

«Here’s the fountain.» I pointed and she smiled and breathed slowly.

«it’s so nice…» she whispered and hurried to approach our small fountain.

 

She’s medium height, not extremely thin. She has a couple of big, not so Asian eyes and lips and a roundy nose. Her hair is a natural light brown, short, a little longer than her shoulders and wavy, while her bangs hide her forehead’s right side.

She seems a little «fragile» .

 

«I like playing the guitar at this spot.» I admitted and joined her left side.

«Is it helpful for your inspiration?»

«Yeap, a lot, seriously.» I nodded.

«I don’t wonder why…» she bit her nail, looking at her reflection on the tremulous water.

 

Today she’s wearing a white, lacy dress.

I don’t know why I thought of this now, but, she looks… fresh? Yeap, she looks fresh in white.

 

«So, you finished school?» I asked, playing with my mobile in my hands.

«Yes…Thankfully. This last year was a nightmare.»

«Why was that?»

«Complicated to explain.» she looked away.

 

Oops~ Wrong question.

 

«I suppose better things will start from this September.» I rubbed the back of my neck.

«Not so sure… My parents… I’m not sure they want me to study. But I’m not sure if I want to study either.»

«It’s good to be honest with yourself.»

«It’s not only good. I think it’s essential.» she smiled to her reflection and gently splashed with the water.

 

I barely know Apeu… YAH! April!

 

But, really. She isn’t that bad.

 

 

 

 

April’s POV

 

 

I tried to clean my throat and wiped my hands with each other from the fountain’s water.

 

I can’t believe that my parens keep on doing this! Bringing me to a boring place with boring people, just because these latter ones might me their future business partners! AISH~

 

Youngjun scratched his head awkwardly, looking at his mobile screen.

 

OK, Youngjun isn’t that boring.

 

He’s 23 years old, I think.

What I only know about him is that he has been denying to work in his father’s business. He had once told me that there’s a better life outside all these stuff that our parents are allowing us to see. But he doesn’t talk often. There are sometimes that he makes me wonder if he’s listening or not.

Not very talkative, really.

 

He’s a little weird, I have to admit it.

But, at least, he isn’t annoying or snobbish.

Because many persons from our (STUPID) «class», are really annoying, snobbish, almost unbearable.

 

But it’s so annoying that my parents go like: «Have a walk with Youngjun, that’s so good, Talk to Youngjun» and blah blah. I feel so awkward when they do that.

At least he isn’t reacting or acting somehow because of this.

 

Generally, this person doesn’t have almost any reactions. He seems emotionless.

 

«Did you change your hairstyle?» I asked, not looking at him.

 

He always manages to pass me his impassivity. I feel completely emotionless/ thoughtless when I’m hanging out with him.

 

He nodded and looked at his mobile again.

 

«It looks nice.» I sighed. «If my mom allows me, I’ll dye mine, too.»

 He looked at me, his cat-like eyes a bit rough.

 

Ouch. His eyes can be piercing. And I can’t really identify the meanings behind this cold look.

 

«I think this color you have is nice.» he moved his shoulders and pressed a button on his device.

 

Wow, Youngjun expressed an opinion! WOW!

 

«Thanks… I’ll think of it…»

 

He put his mobile in his pocket and then rested his hands in them.

 

«Apeu… Ah… Apeur… Aish…» he rubbed his temples, causing me to smile a little.

 

«I have a Korean name, also, if it is easier for you…» I hurried to say, but he moved his hands.

«No! I’ll say it! Apeu… APRil!» he breathed heavily and closed his eyes, tightening his lips, as he swalloed.

 

I tried not to laugh.

Youngjun has always difficulty in saying my name. Because this is my foreign name and not my Korean one and the combination of «P» and «R» is pretty challenging for his only Korean speaking tongue.

 

«Well?» I dared to look at him.

«I have to go. It’s important for me to go… You can escape from this luxurious trap along with me, if you want to.» he said, with the same cool expression, making me not so sure if he is joking or not.  

 

I felt something ticklish in my stomach; I’d love to so something crazy, but… no. Let’s leave it.

 

«Nah, it’s OK. Do go… I’ll go to the bathroom first, before returning to our parents, so that they realise it later on that you left and you have more time to go away.» I winked and he slightly curved the left side of his lips.

 

Is this a smile?

 

«OK, thanks. Let’s say I owe you, huh?» he moved his hands, in an obviously awkward way.

«No problem.» I moved my shoulders and he left, walking slowly, even now that he’s supposed to be in a hurry.

 

I remained on my own and sighed deeply, diving my hand again in the waters.

 

 

I barely know this guy. But… I don’t think he’s that bad.

 

 

 

Reader’s POV

 

 

Mr. Seo pulled out a cigarette and put it in his mouth, while offering another one to Mr. Park, who kindly denied.

 

«Now, that the kids are absent… I think we can freely talk about it, right?» Mrs Seo smiled, a little nervously to the rest of the company.

«Our businesses will do great if we co-operate. That was confirmed by my accountant, too.» Mr Park said, with a slightly husky voice.

«I have no doubt about that. I had been telling you from the begginning!» Mr Seo smiled and patted the other’s back.

«I know… And I couldn’t be more sure than I am now.»

«So… we will proceed to this part of the idea and…?» Mrs Seo half- closed her eyes, with her smile now becoming happy and a little naughty.

«And to the next one, of course.» her husband and Mr Park said at the same time and shook their hands.

 

«But… what if the kids?» Mrs Park was about to say, but her husband moved his hand and frowned.

 

«It’ll be the best for their future. They can’t say no.»

 

 

 

From misschoi: Hi people of earth! Checking in with my beloved Youngjunnie this time!! An exciting story (at least for me, hahaha >.<) starts here! Thank you in advance for your kind attention, with the couple of subscriptions and the amount of views~ Hope this will be fun for all of you and me! Comments are welcomed already, of course! Take care til next time! ^^ <3