Side: Hyeri

Typical Arranged Marriage(Not)

Hyeri strolled along the pavements, admiring the morning view. Yesterday when she moved into Sehun's house, it was already night time and she did not manage to recee the place at all. There was a nearby park too around here and the sounds of kids with their families makes the corners of her lips curved. The cheerful giggles warms her heart each time.

She found a bench under a shaded tree, facing a small lake. Crossing her ankles and folding her arms behind her neck, she stared into the fluffy white clouds, thinking. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the sky stays blue forever? Like me. 

"Hi. May I sit beside you?" Hyeri flinched in surprise when a voice interrupted her train of thougths. She stood straight up immediately and nodded. 

"Hey, uh hi. Yea sure. Of course you can." Hyeri couldnt hide her amusement when the kid tried jumping a couple of times before she could finally manage to sit next to her. Hyeri carefully adjust the small girl's dress. Using her fingers, she combed her fringe lightly before giving a satisfied subtle smile.

"Thank you." The little one politely say and Hyeri hummed," Mmm."

"Are you alone?" The small girl asked, smiling sweetly up at her and tilting her head. 

"Yea. What about you?" Hyeri's turn to ask.

"I'm with my grandma. She's over there." Her hands pointed to the white bun haired woman sitting on a wheel chair.

"I see." Hyeri stated. She observed the melted ice cream dripping off the little girl's cone and onto her pink floral dress. Reaching inside her pocket, Hyeri took out the usual hankerchief which she had always carry around.  

"So, What's your name? You can call me Nini." She continued her ice cream mindlessly while Hyeri help to wipe the drips. "Thank you." The little beamed. 

"My name is Hyeri. Nice to meet you Nini. " Introducing herself, Hyeri reached out for a handshake. 

"Hyeri Unni. Nice to meet you too." The girl greeted back with ice cream filled mouth, smiling happily at her newfound friend. "I never see you before. Are you new here?" 

"Yes, I am." Hyeri asked, observing the girl's carefully braided ponytail. Her mum used to tie her hair when she's small too with colourful pins decorating her hair as if they're going to some party. But that was way back then. Hyeri touched her own wavy curls, they're dry unlike the small girl's healthy ones. 

"I come here often so... we could meet here again tomorrow okay! Then, I'll have friends to play with! But now, I have to go, if not granny will be worried! Goodbye Hyeri Unni!" She bid goodbye quickly then hop down before running back to her grandma. 

...

"You' ll fight then in the end both of you will fall in love. It's cliche like that." Chanyeol piped in when the rest was busy calming Sehun down. The boy was showing tantrum as he paced back and forth, continuously ranting and they were getting tired of hearing him out. 

"Those are just stories! This is real life hyung! Come on, give me some idea how to deal with her!!" Sehun whined, collapsing on the couch with his face burried into the pillows hopelessly.

"You're an idol. Just mingle with the other girls and forget about her. You're going to break up with her after five months anyway." Kai shrugged, one hand filled with chicken drumstick while the other was hugging onto a bolster.

"That's right." Suho added, nodding his head in consensus.

"In fact, it's not like you come home often. We're 90% practising almost everyday at the building." Kyungsoo boringly says, scrolling the online shop to add more item to his black fashion sense. 

Knock! Knock!

"I left my wallet." Hyeri mumbled to Suho, who open the door. Within less than a minute, she was back out the apartment, not sparing any glance towards anyone in the room.

"In. And poof. Out. Again. That's.. fast." Baekhyun commented confusedly.

Sehun squint his eyes and sighed," She's so weird.."  

...

"Hyeri Unni!" Nini rushed towards her in an open arms. Hyeri froze on the spot when the small arms hug her waist tightly. She gulped, nervous to move a muscle. 

"Well hi again, Nini. I came back to buy some fruits. We can eat together... If you like." She replied tonelessly.

"You did?! Yes yes yes! Come on!! Granny will love to see you! I told her about you already!" Nini grinned as she tugged on Hyeri's arm towards the laid out picnic mat. 

The woman on the wheel chair turned her head towards Hyeri. She offered the softest smile to her before making a sign language to Nini. 

"Granny says you're pretty! She can't speak to us but don't worry! She understands, right granny?" Nini kissed her grandmother's cheeks lovingly. Hyeri was speechless for a moment. Then she muttered a "Thank you." with a respectful bow towards the ahjumma who smiled back. 

"You did this by yourself?" Hyeri asked curiously. The floral mat was displayed perfectly with a basket filled with sandwiches and juices. It was neat and well arranged. Who would have guess this little girl could do it all by herself.

"Mhm." She nodded happily. Munching on the grapes Hyeri had brought, her eyes sparkled suddenly the minute she took a bite out of it. "It's so delicious! We never had fruits before! Thank you Unni!" She hugged Hyeri again, leaving the older girl stunned. She's not used to skinship ever since.. she can't actually recall when was the last time someone sincerely hug her. 

"You never had fruits before?" Hyeri's voice came out as a whisper, it's unbelievable how someone had never tasted fruits before.

"Yea. It was expensive for me and granny." Nini answered casually, popping another grape into then to her granny then to Hyeri who awkwardly ate it. 

They stayed at the park for a few more hours, with Nini resting her head on Hyeri's lap. Hyeri was playing with the curls of the adorable girl's hair while she tell her the shapes of the clouds. Halfway through it, her voice trailed off and Hyeri realised that she had already fallen asleep. Nini's hand was interlocked with hers as she held it close to her cheeks like a supporting pillow. Hyeri glanced at the Ahjumma who was fascinated with the two girls. 

"Nini's a sweetheart." Hyeri complimented quietly.   

Gazing at the innocence, melts the cold that lies within.

 

 

**Thanks for reading. (: