VII

후회 One Wish

VII

“When was skiing a ‘hot spot in Seoul’? Are we even in Seoul right now?” Sora asked with a bit of sarcasm. It was obvious she was ecstatic about this situation; was stretched into a wide grin and her eyes sparkled with excitement. The pain from this morning was no longer there and already long forgotten. At least, for now it was.

“I changed my mind on the way here. I thought you’d like to go skiing, but if you don’t want to…” He started to turn around before Sora desperately grabbed at his arm

“I was just kidding! Just a joke, I’m super happy!” Sora exclaimed. 

Sehun laughed and tousled her hair, “I was kidding too. Come on, let’s go in.”

After getting two passes and stopping by the rental shop to pick up some ski’s and clothing, the two stood on the white expanse.

“So, when was the last time you skied Sora?” Sehun innocently asked.

“I’ve never gone… I used to live in an area that didn’t have a mountain nearby…” Her hand found her other and gripped on it, trying to find security because her words were short of it. She hated lying and she was terrible at it, so she always tried to at least tell the half-truth and find stability by holding onto something.

But Sehun could see through her.

The obvious lack of confidence in untrue words were his specialty, after all. He grew up spiting his mother that he never actually hated. There were many times he said things he didn’t mean and made up for his lacking resolve with anger. Sora made up for it by gripping on some part of her body.

“Where did you live before Sora?” 

He was going to press her. Sora was shrouded in mystery and the only thing he really knew about her was the story of the girl who his mom cared for and the fact she’s crazy over nature and feeling super cold. He didn’t even know how Sora was related to the girl since the story said she had no friends. Sehun knew it wasn’t the best time to ask either; it hadn’t even been that long since she stopped weeping. But curiosity ate at him. Why would she open up to him about such a heartbreaking story, but lie about something like why she never skied?

Sora pursed her lips. It was a reasonable question to ask after what she said, but Sehun’s tone and expression were saying so much more. Is he really trying to dig at this when this trip was meant to get my mind off of it?

Her fingers ran through her dark locks and she sighed, her eyes falling to the untouched snow on the ground.

“I don’t really want to talk about it. Let’s just go ski, okay?”

“Okay, yeah..Sorry.” He was sincere in his apology, but he couldn’t mask the disappointment and the tinge of bitterness in his voice. Only Sora could force such contrasting feelings to flow in him. At times he would feel liberated when with her, yet right now, he felt constricted and exasperated.


Sehun really tried to keep his thoughts at bay, but his mind constantly drifted. It was funny, Sora was right next to him on the ski lift, but he kept zoning out to think about her. Why won’t she talk to me about where she was before? Why doesn’t she contact her parents about how she’s going to be out for a while? She hasn't pulled out her phone once. Does she really even want to be my friend?

Sehun, come on. We have to get off.” 

Sora tugged on his jacket, waking him from his daydream or whatever was going on in his mind. Since their conversation, he’d been a bit quiet and it bothered her. Maybe she was getting used to him being nice to her, maybe she had become greedy. If he was going to act like this, maybe it would have been better if he had never grown to be kinder to her; then she would have never felt the pain and fear of having him slip away. She was drunk in his friendliness and she was growing sober with each silent moment. I’m so stupid. Spending time with him like this…I’m just stealing from Yoojin now. How could I…

The two stepped off the lift and stood at the top of the slope. Wind started to pick up and the frosty breeze pricked at Sora’s face, a smile soon sprouting on her face. The view was out of her world; the trees in the distance that were blanketed in a glittering white and the happiness on the faces of the people near her were so different to the expressions of the people in the hospital—or at least the people in her wing. The terminally ill.

Her legs began to wobble and the skis began to slide forward. She instinctively grabbed onto Sehun, all previous thoughts vanishing at the sudden predicament.

“Sehun, how do I stop? I-I’m about to fall!” Sora’s knees buckled trying to stop from moving.

Sehun fell out of his trance at the sight in front of him. A chuckle escaped his lips. She looks ridiculous.

“Pizza to stop. French fries to go.”

“What? What does that even mean?” 

Sehun felt himself moving as well and knew they would have to go down now.

“Make your skis into the shape of a pizza to stop. French fries to go! Now try it out!” Was the last thing he said before he pushed her a bit so that she would go.

A blood curdling scream escaped from the depths of , soon turning into a silent cry as she picked up speed. She tried to avoid hitting someone in her path rather than stop since that seemed to be more dangerous, and she was soon racing down the slope.

“Sehun! Help me!!”

“Pizza! I said pizza!!”

Sora closed her eyes and pigeon-toed her legs to make the skis look like a pizza. It’s all or nothing.

She felt herself slow down, but not before she tripped on something and tumbled forward and landed on her back with her feet in the air, propped up by the skis. Sehun soon skidded next to her, panic on his face.

“Are you okay?!” He frantically asked as his eyes searched for anything unusual about her body.

Sora was silent before she started to giggle. Which then turned into a fit of laughter. She opened her eyes and grabbed at Sehun, making him fall down next to her.

“Wha-Hey what are you doing?!” He shouted as he tried to get back up before Sora’s voice stopped him.

“Stay down. Try closing your eyes. Listen and feel around you.”

He was confused, but he went along with it. His eyes shut immediately and he took off his gloves. The snow was biting at his fingertips and it felt like there was a mist surrounding his body. His ears picked up on the crunching or scraping of snow around him as people walked around and slid down the mountainside. The wind was slightly howling and there was a distant sound of people laughing and talking. His senses felt heightened and it almost felt like a dream.

“Now open your eyes.”

His eyelids fluttered open and the broad sky greeted him. The clouds were wispy and plentiful, yet he could see hints of a beautiful azure peeking through. Light showered down, almost blinding him and he turned his head to meet eyes with a smiling Sora.

“Beautiful, huh?” A chuckle danced on Sehun’s ears. It was a beautiful sound; Sora’s laugh. It was pure and honest, like she was truly and simply laughing because her soul was in glee and it was overflowing in good feelings. Child-like and innocent.

“Yeah…” Why was I even frustrated in the first place? I’m so stupid. This was supposed to be her day, a day to forget about sad times. “Sorry Sora…”

“You don’t need to apologize. Now, let’s go and ski some more!” 

Sora realized, it wasn’t only about mending his relationship with his mom. It was about mending his heart and how he’s closed off not only Yoojin, but all the other girls around him. Something about her got Sehun to at least spend time with her, so she was going to spend this time to heal. She must have given him so much pain and anguish, she wanted to take it away. It could have been selfish thinking or narcissistic behavior, but that didn’t stop her. Only one thing was on her mind: to be what Yoojin was for her, for Sehun. 

A saving grace.


They skied for a few hours more, leaving the cloudy, depressing thoughts behind and thoroughly enjoying themselves. Sora could finally get down the slope by herself and even advanced to the next level.

“Why don’t we take a break and grab something to eat?” Sehun suggested. The kimbap from before was definitely not enough to last them any more.

“Sounds good.”

The two took off their gear and headed into the cafe. Sehun found an empty table and headed straight for it.

“You stay her and watch our stuff. I’ll buy some food and come back, alright?”

“No! At least let me give you money for food. You already paid for so much already and I really don’t want to make you spend even more.” She took out her wallet and handed him some cash.

Sora hated being indebted to someone, especially if it had to do with money. It only made her think of how her parents “solved their issue” with their wealth. She was always on the receiving side and it irked her to no end. She wasn’t a charity case.

“Alright alright. I’ll be back soon!” 

About five minutes passed before someone creeped up to the table. Thinking it was Sehun, Sora looked up to see a stranger. A bit scruffy, male, mid-30s?

“What?” She simply asked. Sora wasn’t one for small talk.

“Sorry to bother you, but do you think you could lend me a few thousand won? Just enough for some food…I’m starving but I have no money.”

With little hesitation, Sora reached for her wallet. A couple thousand won wasn’t much money and he needed help. She’s never been in this kind of situation so she was glad to be of service to someone. Maybe make a new friend along the way.

“Sora, what are you doing?!” Sehun yelled from a few feet away.

Sora turned her head and before she could react, the guy snatched her wallet and took off.

She was left speechless. Sora didn’t even think to be suspicious of him. Why would she? Why would someone lie to her like that? She couldn’t understand.

Sehun quickly set down their food at the table and sprinted after the guy. I was gone for five minutes and this is what happens? 

He returned with Sora’s wallet a few minutes later after a few other guys tackled the criminal when they saw him running with a female’s wallet.

“Why would you just hand out money like that to strangers Sora? It’s dangerous, plus wasn’t it obvious he was lying? How could he even be at the ski resort if he had no money?” Sehun sighed.

“I don’t know…I just didn’t think someone would do that. He looked like he was really hungry and I…Why would someone in his right mind do that to someone he didn’t know? It’s not like I did something mean to him…I can’t wrap my head around this.” 

Sehun’s jaw dropped. In the back of his mind, he had seen Sora as almost angelic. He couldn't admit it but he thought she was beautiful inside and out; like an ideal person. To think she was so naive and sheltered from the filth in this world. To him, that was all he saw, yet Sora’s practically saying she’s blind to it. 

And to be honest, it kind of annoyed him.

“Sora… people are selfish. They only think of themselves and how they can be happy and comfortable. If that means stealing money from strangers, then they’ll do it. Don’t think the world is all clean and beautiful because it isn’t. It’s dirty and disgusting.”

She paused at his statement, not really liking what she was hearing. “I don’t know Sehun… I don’t think we can just say they're selfish without knowing anything. Maybe the man desperately needed money for his family? Maybe he was actually starving?” Sora didn’t want to believe in this world that Sehun was talking about. She wouldn’t.

“Even if he desperately needed money, he should have gotten it in a legal and healthy way. Don’t rationalize his actions like that.” His tone harsh and frigid.

Sora frowned at his words. He was right, but it was so cold-hearted for some reason. Maybe she was just too sympathetic for these people. He stooped so low to obtain some money from an unsuspecting girl, that just shows how much he needed it, right? He could be laid off from his job and has a family to feed, but no one’s willing to lend him money. 

“Anyways, we got your wallet back so let’s not talk about such a heavy topic. Let’s dig into the food!” 

Sehun, once again, felt bad for his choice of words. Why do I always let my emotions talk for me? He knew he was being a bit cruel; he always regretted it when this happened. It was hard for him to calm down and speak his thoughts like an adult. In reality, he’d been throwing a tantrum for the past 17 years. He really needed to work on this aspect, especially when with Sora.

He made sure to take note of that.

The two slowly ate their meal, starting out quiet after Sehun’s outburst, but soon escalating to light-hearted exchanges.

“Sora, has your eyes always been kinda hazel?”

“Yeah, the doctors say it was melanin deficiency. I used to be teased for it, but a lot of people say they like it.”

“It kind of looks like there’s sunflowers in your eyes.”

“Really?” A smile spread on her face. “That’s my favorite flower.”

Sehun quietly laughed. “Why?”

“Because they kind of look like the sun and they even follow the sun throughout the day! So when I had a sunflower with me, it felt like I had the sun with me as well.” A warmth spread in her chest at the memory of having a garden of sunflowers right outside her hospital window. It was her haven since there were days she wasn’t allowed outside.

“Couldn’t you just go outside and bask in the real sun?”

A moment of silence passed before Sora responded.

“Yeah, but it felt nice to have my own mini sun with me.” Her expression beaming while her hands gripped one another. Half-truth.

What about you? Do you have a favorite flower?”

“No. I’m a guy!”

Sora cocked her head to the side. “What does that have to do with anything?”

Sehun paused before chuckling at her remark. It was true; it had nothing to do with her question really. “I guess I like the lotus. It’s cool how it sprouts from dirty water, kinda symbolizing growing out of dark times?”

“Did you know it also means estranged love?”

They didn’t know they were thinking about the same thing: that Sehun’s dark moments sprouted from an estranged love. How ironic that his favorite flower would symbolize that.

“Announcement: We apologize for the inconvenience, but there seems to have been an avalanche nearby and a sudden blizzard is heading this way. Due to the danger from this situation, we have provided accommodations and we hope that all visitors stay overnight until things calm down. Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.”


A/N:

Sigh...I'm so sorry for such a late update, and it's such a crappy one at that OTL. I seriously only have the ending and one other scene in my head that's definite to the story so I find it hard to figure out how to progress the story on the spot. Character development is the death of me. I should've planned this out better...sorry guys T_T