I

후회 One Wish

I

She could faintly hear the buzz of life around her, running around to get her into the operating room. Her breathing was slow under the oxygen mask and the sudden, bright lights caused her to squint and furrow her brows. Her ears were ringing and it seemed like everything around her were blurring together. A sudden pain resounded in her chest and she knew, it was time. Trembling, her hand slowly lifted itself up to land on her heart. You did a good job these past 16 years…

“Sora! Hang in there, keep fighting!”

Her head turned towards the source of the voice. Yoojin…

Her lips quivered at the sight and her eyes welled up with tears before they slowly rolled down the sides of her face. No, she wasn’t scared of death, but rather, she was so apologetic towards Yoojin. She made her sacrifice time with her son and family to spend her days with Sora; all because of her own selfishness. She was supposed to simply be her nurse, but she ended up being the mom Sora never had. Her real parents abandoned her, only paying for her hospital bills. All the memories Yoojin gave her continued to flash before her eyes and her lips slowly lifted into a smile.

“Thank you…and I’m so sorry…” Her voice shook as she faintly said her last words.

“No, don’t tell me that as if it’s the last time! You can make it Sora, you always have!” Yoojin’s voice cracked slightly as she desperately said those words. Just like how Sora saw her, Yoojin thought of Sora as her own daughter after many years of being by her side. Sora may think she was being selfish, but Yoojin thought otherwise. She chose Sora over Sehun so many times because she knew Sora had a time limit. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she could only think of all the memories Sora gave her. 

The image of Yoojin crying while telling her to hang on continued to fade before she out.


 

That was the last scene Sora could remember before she became an angel. No, not like Gabriel, but someone who died with a sense of regret or guilt and couldn’t make it to heaven. That’s why God assigns them a mission to help give them the resolution to reach heaven.

“Hey Sora! Today’s the big day isn’t it?” An older gentleman flew over to her side, a grin on his face.

“Yeah…I’m finally getting my mission.” She looked down and softly smiled. Finally..

“I’m happy for you. Most people get their mission within six months, but you had to wait a year!”  He started to ramble before he looked over to see his wife a few feet away. “Oops, gotta go! Anyways, best of luck on your mission Sora,” He gave her one last smile before returning to his wife. He had this look of happiness, it made Sora wonder what his regret was.

The clock tower began to ring and signaled for Sora to head down to Earth. 

“I guess it’s now or never…” She whispered before she let out her wings and dived down. 

Her destination was Seoul, South Korea and she gracefully landed in front of an apartment complex. 

It was lightly snowing and a shiver creeped up her spine. She was only wearing a white dress; the uniform for female angels. Her breath turned into smoke in front of her and she rubbed her hands together to gather warmth. 

Her eyes glanced left to right to find a sign that simply said ‘ANGEL CO.’ placed in front of what looked like the entrance. She was nervous, but she was ready. Sora walked into the building and was welcomed by a gorgeous older woman sitting behind a desk.

“Park Sora I presume?” A smile playing on her lips. She loved getting new angels.

“Yes.” Sora muttered sheepishly. 

She motioned for her to follow and soon stopped in front of a door. The lady pulled out a set of keys and handed them to Sora.

‘You’ll be staying in room 303. You’ll find instructions and your mission in there. Best of luck.” And she turned to leave.

I guess it’s all up to me now…

Her hand placed the keys in front of the hole, slightly trembling. It’s okay. It’s okay. was all she thought as she calmed herself down. She’s waited a whole year for this.

The door unlocked and she quickly stepped in, the warmth surrounding her. She spotted an envelope placed on a table in front of her, with the words, “To Sora Park.”

She took off her shoes while closing the door behind her and made her way to the table. She quickly tore the envelope with nimble fingers, letting the contents fall out. 

“Park Sora, this is your mission. You have exactly one year today (12/25/2013) to complete it. Befriend Oh Sehun and mend the relationship between him and his mother. This room is for you to use during this year and all expenses are paid. We will send you money each month for food and other emergencies. You’ll also find clothes and your uniform in the closet. You are enrolled in Oh Sehun’s school and will be in his class. First day is next week so get your rest. Good luck on your mission.” 

Her hands fell and her mind was in a daze. She had an idea what her mission would be since she knew what she regretted, but she didn’t think it would be the son. The corners of her lips curled into a painful smile. 

Oh Sehun…I was most apologetic towards you. How many painful memories must have I caused? 


“Mom, don’t go! I want to spend Christmas with you and Dad this year!” He cried out, reaching his small hands out to his mother. She was getting ready to leave; she promised Sora she would be there for her on Christmas instead of being with her own son.

“"Sehun, you don't understand! You still have time... That girl doesn’t." She quickly turned back to look at Sehun. He could see the pain in her eyes for having to leave him, but he was still a child, he couldn’t understand. 

“It’s always about that girl! It’s like you don’t even love me mom…” His voice trailed off and his face fell as tears formed in his eyes. Yoojin’s eyes only widened at what her 9 year old son just said. “Yes, of course I love you! But I can’t leave her Sehun… Her life has a time limit. She might die anytime now, but you still have many years to come. I know it’s hard to understand, but imagine if you were her. She has no parents and her home is the hospital. She has no friends. No toys. Nothing. I’ll try to come home as soon as possible, I promise.” She kissed his forehead and left. Sehun could only cry, a chain beginning to form around his own heart.

“I wish I was sick too…” He softly muttered before making his way over to his dad. 

 

The alarm suddenly went off and Sehun’s eyes shot open. Why did I dream of that… He started to feel irritated as he remembered his childhood, or his lack of one. His mom was always at the hospital taking care of this girl and he was left to be with his dad. Yes, he loved his dad and loved being with him, but he couldn't replace his mom. He didn’t know anything about the girl either, except that she was really sick; but that was obvious since she was at a hospital.

He ruffled his hair and got out of his bed, having to get ready for school. A knock was heard at his door.

“Sehun? Wake up, it’s time for school,” a soft voice hesitantly said. She hadn’t heard him wake up yet and school started in 15 minutes.

“Don’t talk to me. I’m awake.” He curtly replied. Don’t act like you care now. 

He grabbed for his things and quickly made his way out the door, making sure he made no eye contact with the woman who calls herself his mother. 


First chapter ! Tell me what you think (: This story isn't a typical romcom aff fans seem to enjoy, but I've always wanted to write a darker story. This will be an emotional rollercoaster so be ready ! Thanks for reading. Please comment & subscribe ! It would mean a lot to me !