VI

후회 One Wish

VI

The sun had risen, veiled by a curtain of gray clouds. Light was showering the streets, but the frigid weather seemed to stay stagnant, not caring that the sun wanted to share it’s warmth. The two had sauntered down the rugged road for a few minutes when they soon faced Sehun’s apartment building.

“Wait here, I’ll be out soon.” 

Sora nodded, “I’ll be at the playground.” 

Apartment buildings in Seoul came with a miniature playground for the children and to Sora, it was what took up most of her memories as a young girl. Her heart couldn’t handle running around and playing tag. She was outcasted by the other kids and she found fortitude in the playground. That’s why she would sit on the swings for hours, sluggishly swinging back and forth. It was the only thing her nurses and doctors allowed her to do so she did it until her became sore and her hands would discolor from the rust.

Sora ran to the familiar circle of artificial bark and gaudy contraptions kids so loved. Wiping away the morning dew from the swing, she seated herself; it was a bit small, but she still fit. Her fingers carefully ran over the rusty chains that creaked whenever she moved and her thoughts wandered to her past from the familiar touch. A smile lit up on her face as she closed her eyes; it was like she was still alive and just a small child. She felt little, like a single star in a galaxy. It was strange to her though. 

People pass by each other, not realizing that each is a lone star, so desperate to burn bright. They go through each stage in life hoping to never grow dark when in desolation, but to continue to light up their surroundings.

But people don’t understand that they only blaze brighter because of the darkness that is suffering and insecurity. Fluctuations push individuals to transform and swell into someone more radiant.

That’s why only gratitude filled her mind towards the big man in the sky who let her enjoy life one more time in a healthy body. To shine brilliantly after living in the desolate black hole she thought she couldn’t escape.


Sehun frantically rushed to his home on the 7th floor, unaware that these feelings bubbled in him since he didn’t want Sora to wait in the cold, and quickly stepped inside. He didn’t have time to catch his breath before he noticed his dad on the couch, sipping coffee, waiting for Sehun.

“Where have you been.” His voice was stern and didn’t sound like a question at all. 

“I went out to the riverside…” His voice quivered slightly. His dad doesn’t get angry often.

“You could have told us before you left.”

“I didn’t plan to be gone this long. I ran into a friend.”

“Even if you planned on leaving for a minute, you should still tell me or your mom.”

Sehun bit his lower lip and looked away. “Sorry.”

A sigh escaped from his father. “It’s fine, but your mom has been crying. She’s been crying more often lately and it worries me.”

“I know…I’ll talk to her later today… I actually need to leave right now.”

“O-oh okay. Stay safe and don’t come home late.”

His father stuttered in shock. Sehun talking to his wife? He’s always made tremendous effort in avoiding her, but he’ll talk to her now? 

A huge smile plastered itself on his face after Sehun passed by towards his room. That rascal is finally moving forward.

Sehun quickly grabbed his wallet, phone, and an extra jacket for Sora and hurried back to leave.

“Bye dad, I’ll be home by tonight,” he hastily said before storming out the apartment.

His steps neared the playground and for some reason, he couldn’t call out to her. Words were lodged in his throat as he stared at this girl in front of him. Her eyes were closed while her extremities were a vivid crimson, but, she had this warm smile on her face that made it seem like it wasn’t that chilly after all. 

He didn’t want to interrupt that moment.

Sora’s ears perked as she heard someone stop in front of her, his breath a bit hurried. She looked up and made eye contact with Sehun. His ears flushed unconsciously. He cleared his throat before lifting his arm with the extra jacket to hand it to Sora.

“I don’t want you to catch a cold. Wear that.” 

Sora slowly nodded and put it on. It hung loosely on her and came down to her mid thigh, but the large size only kept her warmer. 

“Thanks.”

Sehun ruffled his hair, a habit of his, and blurted out, “It’s no big deal. Now let’s go.”

“Wait, where are we going?”

“Somewhere fun.”


The two headed towards the subway after riding the bus for a bit. They stepped down the flight of stairs and headed towards where the platform would be when Sora paused at the sight in front of her. 

“Sehun, are all subway stations like this?”

Sehun turned around to see Sora standing in the middle of the hallway, awing at the many shops and stores lining the way. It was like one of those games where one created their own boutique and tried to put everything about themselves into the store. Each shop had it’s own personality, striving to appeal themselves to the crowd. Small restaurants were also in the vicinity and the various smells wafted through the air.

“You’ve never been in a subway station Sora?”

She simply shook her head, not taking her eyes off the rows of mannequins and apparel. It baffled him to see Sora be so amazed at such mundane things. The riverside, school, his mom, the subway. She forced Sehun to revisit these things that he thought he knew so well and see something else. 

He was torn, he wanted to let her explore but he knew he couldn’t waste time here.

“Sora, we can’t stay here too long, it’s a long ways to get to where I want us to be.”

Sora began to move slowly at Sehun’s words and the two made their way along the subway after obtaining subway cards. Sehun also stopped by and got some kimbap for the long journey ahead.

“Sehun, we’ll have to ride this to return too, right?”

He turned to look at Sora who had the most hopeful look on her face. A short laugh escaped his lips before he covered his mouth with his hand. She’s like a baby. 

“Yeah we do Sora. You excited, huh?”

Sora furrowed her brows, “Why are you laughing? Is something funny?”

“Your face.”

Sehun quickly found himself in pain and his arm throbbing from Sora’s punch.

“Why’d you hit me?!”

“You need to ask?”

Silence overtook the two as Sora pouted and Sehun sulked. How immature, they both thought.

“Sorry…” Sehun mumbled reluctantly.

Sora quietly giggled at the sight next to her and peered up towards him. “I’m sorry too. Did it hurt that much?” Her voice slightly teasing.

“Wha- No way! That weak punch didn’t hurt at all!” His ears heated red once again and Sora quickly took notice.

“Did you know your ears get red when you’re embarrassed?”

“Did you know I’m embarrassed because I’m sitting next to someone like you?” Sehun grumbled. Damn, what a lame comeback, me. You couldn’t think of something better?

“Stop pouting, you’re like a baby.”

He was flabbergasted and could only laugh at how they just happened to think the same thing. Her first impressions on him of what she’d be like was so far off and he actually felt remorse for how badly he thought of her. It’s hard to explain but, each moment with Sora, even when he hated her, felt so much longer to Sehun. Like a dream that only lasts seconds, but to the dreamer, a lifetime had gone by. That’s why, even though it had only been a month since his first encounter with Sora, he could’ve sworn he had known her for years and something tugged inside him that was alerting him that she was going to change his life. 

But he didn’t know that yet.

“Now why are you laughing?” 

“It’s nothing, don’t worry about it,” he said as he flicked her forehead.

Sora rubbed the spot and smiled; it kind of felt like the times she was with Yoojin. She was the one that taught her about life outside of the hospital and here her son was doing the same thing.

The smile Sora flashed Sehun filled him with relief. Her eyes were still a bit red from the tears, but she was smiling. 

And it was all that mattered to him in that instant.

The rest of their mini adventure was spent eating the kimbap and sleeping. A few bus rides and some walking later, they finally reached their destination.

“Sehun, we’re going skiing?!”


A/N:

thanks for reading! Sorry it took so long to upload this one... I wasn't sure as to where I wanted this story to be headed.

please comment & subscribe (: