IV

후회 One Wish

IV

Days had passed and Sora was still so excited about life outside the white walls and the distinct smell of medication and soap she was trapped in. She grew up with a mentality that she could die any day and it carried on even after she died. After school, she would walk around in a park or just wander around town. The sky from earth was so beautiful and she swore she could spend hours watching the clouds shift across the blue background. Flying in the sky was amazing, but laying on a field was just as exhilarating for Sora. The smell of the grass would fill her nose while her fingers would sink into the dirt. It would slowly crumble between her fingers, slightly staining them. But she didn’t care; at least she could get dirty if she wanted to now. 

Sometimes, she would jump into the icy winter waters from a river near her apartment, unaware of the looks she got. Her teeth would chatter and her heart would start pumping…but she loved that feeling. Tears of joy would flow from her eyes, but anyone who saw would assume it was just the water. 

That’s why right now was her favorite period of the day: Physical Education. Her hair was tied into a high ponytail and sweat ran down the sides of her face from running laps around the gym. She’s never sweated from exercising before, it’d always be sweat from a strain on her heart or heat during the summer. 

Her class was then split between boys and girls. Boys were playing field hockey while girls were playing volleyball. 

Sora was sulking on the bench; no one wanted to pick her for their team. It wasn’t because no one liked her, but she was terrible at all sports. Exceptionally terrible. Growing up in a hospital didn’t help the fact either.

“It’s okay Sora, I didn’t get picked either,” Hyejin patted her shoulder.

“That’s because you sprained your ankle…” Sora replied bitterly.

A giggle escaped Hyejin’s lips, “Sora, you’re so adorable. You mope like a child when you don’t get picked and then in class, you’re spouting out all the correct answers as if you graduated college.”

Sora let out a little laugh as well. “I’m the child? Who sprained their ankle trying to outrun a toy poodle?” 

“Those things are vicious! You know that!” Hyejin pouted.

Hyejin’s little outburst got Sehun’s attention and he turned his head to see Sora laughing; something he’s never seen before. 

“Sehun, concentrate! We betted buying lunch for a week and we’re down by two!” Jongin exclaimed, panting from running across the gym.

“You don’t need to tell me that! I got thi-“ 

Sehun felt the wind get knocked out of him. Someone from the opposite team tripped, swinging his hockey stick in the process. The tip of the stick struck him on the side of his head, breaking skin. Blood trickled down and he started to feel dizzy. 

Students started to surround him, the gym suddenly falling silent. No one was making a move. Girls didn’t want to help him, afraid he’d snap at them and the boys were absentminded from shock at what just occurred.

“Let’s go the nurse’s office,” Baekhyun spoke, breaking the anxious atmosphere.

“It’s fine, I can go by myself. You guys finish the game,” Sehun replied, trying to pick himself up. He thought he was doing fine, but to everyone else, he was wavering a lot, tripping over his own feet.

“It’s just a stupid bet, that injury looks bad.” Baekhyun felt irritation building. It’s always like this with Sehun. He just doesn’t let anyone help him.

“I’ll take him.” 

Everyone’s head turned to where the voice came from: Sora. Even she was surprised at what she just said, but she knew she had to get closer with Sehun for the mission. That…and she honestly wanted to know Yoojin’s son. 

“Over my dead body.” Sehun spat with disgust. Is the room spinning?

Sora ignored his comment and walked over to him, her hand reaching for his arm. He tried to avoid her touch, but he could feel his consciousness slipping. “Don’t touch me!” He weakly pushed her away.

“Sora, maybe we should let someone els-“

“No, I’ll do it. I’m on the bench anyways and the Sehun wants the boys to finish their game.”

Her head rotated towards Sehun once more, her eyes piercing into his. 

“Now, let’s go Sehun.”  He swore her eyes were his soul away.

“Whatever.”

She lightly held his arm and put it around her shoulder, to provide him with support. Sehun noticed. He could tell she was being careful and it bothered him. He’s been nothing but rude to her and she’s still treating him with extra care. His eyes glanced over to Sora as they slowly walked out of the gym. She was at least half a foot shorter than he was and he could feel her slightly tremble under his weight.  This girl… 

“Stare any more and you’ll burn a hole through me.” 

Sehun quickly looked away, his ears burning red. She noticed.

The rest of the walk was mostly silent, at least for Sora. Sehun was still suffering from embarrassment from what happened. 

“We’re here.” Sora narrated as she slid the door open. 

“Excuse me, is Ms. Choi here?” 

Silence.

“What the heck? Is she slacking on the job?” Distaste in his tone.

“Don’t assume anything. Maybe there was an emergency,” Sora quickly retaliated, personal emotions mixing with her voice. 


“Ahh I’m so bored!” Sora’s small arms flailed around in her bed. Sora just turned 7 and she needed to do something.

“I’ll call Yoojin with that thing they gave me!”  Her hand reached for the pager on the desk that had Yoojin’s number on it. “Send! Now Yoojin Ahjumma will play with me!” Sora’s face beaming.

Five minutes had passed and Yoojin still hadn’t replied. “Why isn’t she anwering?!” Her thumbs pressing to send another message. Her little patience had ran out and she continually sent out multiple messages to Yoojin. Another ten minutes passed with no answer.

“I bet she’s just having fun with other patients!” Sora shouted, angry and hurt. She got out of her bed and headed to the front desk, wanting to complain when she overheard a conversation. 

“Did you hear? Jaehyuk died. It was expected, but not so sudden. A lot of the nurses were called to help, but it was still useless.” 

Two nurses were huddled outside a room, whispering to each other. 

“…Jaehyuk died?” 

And though Sora was only a child, she knew. Jaehyuk was the only other kid around her age and she talked with him sometimes. It could be said that Jaehyuk was her only friend. Sora quickly turned around and went back in her room, crying for Jaehyuk and crying for being so self-centered. 

Yoojin was the nurse in charge of Jaehyuk before Sora. 


Sehun’s face fell. A girl has never embarrassed him like this and she’s done it twice.

“Well, she’s not here so there’s no point in staying, I’m going to leave.” 

Sora pushed him back down. “Just wait.”

She searched the cabinets looking for some supplies: alcohol, swabs, towel, water, bin, bandages, etc. Sora did grow up in a hospital, she at least knows how to wrap a wound and do a concussion test. 

With the bin filled with some water and a towel in her hand slightly wet, Sora took a seat in front of Sehun. Slowly and gently, her hand patted the area with blood. Sehun winced, but he knew better than to complain again. He decided to just look at the girl in front of him. 

“I’m not going to thank you,” He muttered, his eyes looking for any hint of emotion in her hazel ones.

“I never asked for you to,” She calmly replied, her eyes focusing on his bloody forehead.

“Why won’t you ask for it?”

“Why should I? I’m helping you because I want to. Not because I want to hear you say ‘thank you.’ ” She could see the wound a little better now. She put the towel in the bin to wash the blood off and wrung it out. Her hand raised once more to clean the area. 

Sehun didn’t know what to say. He’s never met someone like her - crazy.

The wound was clearly visible now and Sora breathed a sigh of relief. It was bad, but not as bad as she thought. Her hand reached for her hair tie and took it out, letting her hair fall down. She ran her fingers through her hair; her attempt to comb it out a bit.

She reached for Sehun’s bangs and tied it up so she could bandage the wound. Sehun was still speechless from her last comment to care. 

Grabbing a swab, she dampened it with some alcohol. “This is going to hurt, but bear with me.”

She slowly patted the wound, trying to clean it with the least amount of pressure, but Sehun groaned when she made contact; it still stung so bad. He felt himself boil as he tried to keep himself calm. Sora reached out her free hand.

“Here, you can squeeze my hand.” 

Sehun desperately grabbed on to her small hand, squeezing as he shut his eyes. Sora could feel his fingernails digging into her skin, her hand turning white from lack of circulation. She quickly finished disinfecting the wound, but he still didn’t let go. Her hand made him feel safe for some reason. It brought him a sense of security that he’s only felt with his dad.

“Sehun…I need to bandage your wound.” She was hoping he would get what she was trying to say. She felt him slowly let go, but his eyes remained shut. I should treat my hand after I bandage his injury.

She swiftly bandaged him up and took out her hair tie so that his bangs would fall over it. She hid her left hand behind her when she saw him open his eyes.

Sora then asked him a few questions to see if he had a concussion. He replied a little slow, but he did alright.

“You have a mild concussion so I suggest taking it easy for the next few days. Go head home for now, I’ll tell the teacher everything.” 

Sehun bit his lower lip. I can’t believe I’m saying this. “Thanks Sora…” 

But Sora didn’t look surprised at what he said. She simply smiled. “You’re welcome.”

“Why would you do all this when I treated you like trash. I just don’t understand.” Sehun blurted out. He wanted to hate her — he really did — and he tried to make her hate him back so that she’d stay away, but it felt like it only brought her closer.

"Why? Because I want to know you, Sehun. I want to be your friend.” She kept her eyes aligned with his, unfaltering. “You can say anything you want to me, but I won’t believe that’s who you truly are. Everyone has their story and I know there’s more than just a hate for women behind your words.”


A/N:

I know it's a pretty long chapter for this one scene...but this scene's pretty important. Like the fact this kinda foreshadows the whole story lololol. Kind of. Maybe.

Thanks for reading please comment & subscribe !