Ninth Equation: The Solution

Y+M=I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“The most useful form of straight-line equations is the slope-intercept form. So that should be something like…y = mx + b. M is the “slope” which would then render B to automatically make the y-intercept. So then it’ll have to be

y = mx + b

(–6) = (4)(–1) + b

–6 = –4 + b

–2 = b

Then the line equation must be "y = 4x – 2". So if it’s y= 4x – 2, then how does that equate to Y+ M = I??!!!! Does this equation even exist?!!! Aish!!!!!” I screamed my head off and threw the papers to the ground. That’s it. I officially give up. Maybe I’m not as smart as I think I am. It was at this moment of self-pity when my unnies conveniently walked in on me. 

They looked at each other and sighed; not the kind of sigh that pities me but one that is coupled with those silly grins and twinkling eyes. Before they could enhance my torment, I raised a hand and spoke.

“I know what you’re thinking so before you ask, I’ll give you the answers. Yes, I’m desperate. Yes, I do miss him. I haven’t seen him since he gave me this piece of crap that’s responsible for the dark circles under my eyes, which was, by the way, just twenty two hours and forty eight minutes ago. Nope, I’m not counting. Not at all. 

And yes, I am clueless. I don’t even know where to begin, which solution I should use to solve this thing. I mean, I’ve tried every possible one I could think of – from basic calculus, algebra, geometry, etc etc. I still couldn’t figure it out. 

Yes, I’m an Engineer alright but screw those preconceived notions that all engineers are hella good at Math because right now, these three letters prove otherwise!” I was literally almost out of breath after that speech.

By this time, they all let out a hearty laugh before coming over to give me a comforting hug. 

 “That guy’s cheesier than I thought.” Yoona unnie commented upon reading the letters written on the paper.

“At least he’s got a neat handwriting.” Hyoyeon unnie added.

They took turns inspecting the paper, making several comments here and there, but none of what they were saying made any sense to me. I was focused on completing this puzzle and any minute now, I might actually solve it…or not. I tried once more to come up with a solution but I am at my wit’s end. I threw the calculator across the room and hid my face in the pile of papers.

“Oh, Hyunnie. I’m sure you already know the answer. You’ve probably solved it the minute you first laid eyes on that paper. You’re just overthinking things.” Yuri unnie said. 

“It can’t be that easy.” I insisted.

“Of course it can and it is. You’re the only one who’s making everything complicated. You know what you want and that’s him. This man you’re currently so enamored with. I’ve known you since we were what? Five? Four? We basically grew up together. We saw each other grow into the kind of person we are now, and with that, I can assure you, I swear on all food there is or whatever lipstick ETUDE can create, that you, Seo Joohyun-ssi are head over heels in love with this man who you have yet to introduce to us, let alone, mention his name….” Yoona unnie began.

“And it’s not the kind of love that just fades over time. It’s the kind of love us, your unnies crave for. It’s that kind of love we all want but not everyone could have. You’re so damn lucky you got everything right on the first try.” Taeyeon unnie continued.

“Oh, and by the way, it pays to take a second closer look.” Hyo unnie winked.

My mouth was left hanging and I tried to come up with a witty remark but there was none. There was nothing because I knew what all of us knew: they’re right. They smiled at me before heading off to the living room and go on with their marathon of the latest trendy drama as if they didn’t just make me realize what I should’ve a long time ago. I lifted the piece of paper back up, focused it on the light, and finally smiled. That sneaky Nurse Jung. I should’ve known there’s more to this piece of paper than meets the eye.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone, and this time, I have decided to step out of mine.

 

 

 

 

I lied still as I watched the minutes pass by. I had no qualms about her being able to solve that stupid equation in no time. She probably knew what those letters stood for the minute I handed that paper. What I’m worried though if she missed the extra detail I hurriedly included in that single piece of note. Was she able to see it or did she discard the paper already? After all, it was just a worn out receipt I was able to fish out of my pocket. 

“Hyung, just end your misery and go to her. It’ll make it easier for all of us.” Jungshin whined. 

“I’m not miserable.” I replied casually, to which the two of them just snorted at.

“You look like crap since you last saw her and it hasn’t even been a day. Ani. You’ve been looking like that for some time now.” Jungshin added again. Before I could reprimand him, Jonghyun said,

“No offense hyung but you really look unwell. Are you okay?”

I saw the worried and nervous look on their faces. We’re not in a medical-related field for nothing. I knew what they were suspecting but even I don’t want to dwell on it right now. I shrugged my shoulders and tried to convince them that this isn’t what they think it is. It can’t be. It just can’t happen to me. 

“It’s just a viral infection. A flu or something. Nothing that needs serious attention. I’m fine.” I waved my hand off and tried to act all cool even if I feel like I’m being ripped into pieces from the severity of this pain. 

I knew they were unconvinced but I gave them this look which meant “back off” so they knew better than to insist on this topic. I smiled weakly and in between coughs, I said,

“It’s just that…I really do miss that engineer so bad. Perhaps you’re right. I should go see her.” 

I got up and changed my clothes. Just before I made my way out the door, I stopped and decided to just lounge on the couch for a couple more minutes. Jonghyun smiled mysteriously as Jungshin rolled his eyes in annoyance. 

“Aish hyung! Make up your mind. Either you go to her or you won’t!”

“Relax, Shin. All is well. I’ve done my part. I’ve chased her and I caught up. It’s a done deal. This time, she’ll be the one running to me.”

The two of them look unconvinced. Was my nervousness that blatant amidst this flashy display of confidence?

“Psh. Yeah right hyung. As far as this engineer is concerned, I don’t think your record would speak so highly of you. How long has it been since you began the chase? How many attempts have you taken and how many times have you been rejected?”

“She didn’t reject me. She’s just not ready at the time.” I said defensively.

“And what makes you think she’s prepared now?” Jonghyun teased.

I shrugged my shoulders and just waved it off as if it’s not a big deal. To be truthful, I don’t really have any concrete evidence that would support my statement other than my gut feeling.

“I have all the right to be confident….” I began.

“Jinjja? What makes you say so?” the two of them chorused.

Without hesitation or so much of a second thought, the words were out of my mouth:

“She’s in love with me.”

By this time, as embarrassing as it is to admit, I couldn’t prevent myself from smiling and perhaps, even turning a shade of red. That Engineer Seo and her damn effect on me. I could’ve been lost in my daydream but then the boisterous laughter and snorts were enough to shatter the illusion. 

“Ah jinjja hyung. You’re so hopeless…”

“A hopelessly delusional pabo…”

“In love!!!”

The two resumed their laughter and even went as far as rolling on the floor. I had this urge to smack their heads to get some sense and consideration in it but decided it wasn’t worth the effort. When these two pabos fall in love, I swear, I’ll give them a taste of their own medicine. 

“She really is in love with me.” I emphasized. 

“Really? She said it herself?” they taunted.

“Not yet.. but she will. SOON.” I stressed.

“Well, when that “SOON” finally materializes, inform us again hyung.” Jungshin laughed.

I playfully slapped their backs a little harder than what they expected. I just shook my head as I made my way out the door. It’s almost time. She’s probably on her way there. 

“Oh and hyung! Don’t forget to introduce us to this engineer! Wouldn’t want to miss out on our hyungnim’s wedding!!! You promised me I’ll be the best man!” Jonghyun shouted.

“Ahrasseo!” I yelled back. 

Before I closed the door, Jungshin argued,

“YAH! HYUNG! YOU Promised ME that I’ll be the best man!!!”

“You two marry each other then!” I laughed as I made my way out the door.

 

 

 

“Is there something I can help you with?” I heard the store clerk ask. 

I looked towards her way and shook my head apologetically. 

“It’s okay. I’m just looking around. When I need something, I’ll definitely inform you. Thanks for the concern. I hope more employees would be as attentive and helpful to the customer as you are.” I smiled. 

The store clerk’s face lit up with that simple compliment. She must’ve had a tough day in school and another hellish one at work. Throwing in a word of encouragement would help ease the burden somehow. At least, that’s what it’s like for me.

“Hi there, Hyeri. How’s your day? Professor Ahn giving you a hard time?” 

Instinctively, I turned my head towards the direction of his voice. I arched an eyebrow as if to mock him, but to my surprise (and slight humiliation), he ignored me. He just passed me by as if I didn’t exist. As if we were strangers.

I didn’t even hide the fact that I was intently watching their conversation. He looks so chummy with that store clerk and I swear I almost puked with how affectionate he was towards her. Okay, I’m trying not be dramatic, but what the hell. Fine. I’m affected as it is. Why does she get his attention and not mine?

I just picked a random pair of glasses and brought it to the counter. Unleashing all the jealous fury I had within me, I smiled forcefully while asking some random question that I knew wouldn’t necessarily address my concern. Nurse Jung continued to be oblivious to the fact that I was trying hard to catch his attention. Or maybe he is aware that I am trying to make him notice me and that’s why he is prolonging this. Time is something I deem as valuable and that is why I am going all out and shamelessly end this once and for all.

“Invisible ink, huh?” I said as I tapped his shoulder. I knew he was pretending not be so obviously triumphant but to my chagrin, he failed. 

“I never doubted your Sherlock skills, my lovely Hyun.” He smiled. 

Damn it. I’m melting again and it hasn’t even been a minute since we started a conversation. Seohyun-ah, you’re supposed to be mad at him, remember? Before my blushing face could embarrass me any further, I tried to recall what it was he wrote on that paper.

“I don’t know how you were able to come up with such tricks even at a crucial time like that. Invisible ink, a riddle, and the specific piece of paper you used, which, by the way, is a receipt of this shop. Didn’t know you wore contacts…and here I thought you’ve got pretty eyes.” I laughed.

“Jonghyun’s the one wearing contacts. He asked me to buy that since I was on the way to grab something to eat. Oh and I think your eyes are prettier. In fact, they sparkle so beautifully whenever they look at me.” He explained.

The deadpan look on his face followed by that cheeky grin of his was enough to shut me up. How could I just blurt out that I think he’s got pretty eyes?!

“By the way, Hyeri’s my aunt. Nothing for you to worry about. I know it’s unbelievable for us to be nephew and aunt but well, we’ve got a complicated family history. The point is, we’re 100% blood-related.” He said as he introduced me casually to the store clerk. 

“So there’s absolutely no need for you to be jealous unnie. Even if we weren’t relatives, I wouldn’t go after him. He’s not my type.” Hyeri said. 

“Her type are men twice her age. Like that ahjussi professor she’s been crushing on for a semester.” He chuckled, much to the embarassment of his young aunt. Men and their oblivion to such sensitive topics.

“You should know how to respect your elder.” Hyeri huffed.

“Oh so now you’re using the “Imo Card…”” 

Before the teasing could go on any further, I elbowed his side and gave him a glare. A girl’s got to defend her fellow female. I thanked her for the help and made my way outside. Nurse Jung obviously lagged behind me. 

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” He said mischievously as we entered a coffee shop.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t it be? You’re free to go, by the way. I don’t remember inviting you in.” I replied. I momentarily ignored him as I placed my order. He didn’t waste a second adding in his own choice of coffee.

“I said you’re free to go.” I repeated when he kept following me as I chose a seat next to my favorite corner.

“And leave you here on your own? No thanks. I think a fifth cup of caffeine wouldn’t kill me just yet.” He teased.

Five cups of coffee. Just…wow. How could he even sleep with all that caffeine running in his system? Wait. Coffee. Nurse Jung. Me. It all makes sense now. He recognized the look on my face and started laughing.

“I know what you’re thinking but trust me. I’m perfectly accident-free today. I promise I won’t waste my dear Americano on your designer shirt.” He said.

“It’s not a designer shirt actually…” 

I don’t know why I’m more concerned over correcting th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter