Seventh Equation: The “Date”

Y+M=I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I’ve been waiting for nearly half an hour. It wouldn’t be a big deal if I wasn’t sitting in the most coveted area in this restaurant. Give it to Vic unnie for reserving this prime spot for this nonsensical blind date. If Minhyuk’s hyung would randomly pull the same no-show stint that I often do to him on this particular night, I’ll never forget the humiliation of being stood up.

Is this the moment I ask for forgiveness for all those times I guiltlessly ditched him? I silently prayed that this man would be bothered by his conscience and have the decency to show up tonight regardless of how I treated him in the past. I knew this was a very selfish request but right now I couldn’t bring myself to think of anyone else other than me. I am not the least bit bothered by Fany unnie’s comments about him being a “hottie.” I’m eager for him to show up tonight so we can put an end to this charade.

I want to be freed from this promise and once and for all, prove to Mr. Eye Smile that he was wrong about me and his hyung. That the epic love story I’ve always dreamed of isn’t something that can be achieved through manipulated means or mere human efforts such as a blind date.

I checked my watch and had this gut feeling that I’ve been stood up already. It’s been almost forty five minutes. Regardless of this, I’m still hoping he’d come. I don’t want to look pathetic more than I do right this second. If this table was situated somewhere else private (like a secluded corner that even the waiters would find a hard time to locate), I would’ve ordered my dinner the minute I got here and leave as soon as I’m done with my meal.

However, it’s way up here. A glass corner that stands out amongst the rest. A freaking glass balcony encrusted with sparkly stones and the most fairytale-ish romantic setup even Disney would be ashamed to compare itself to. Deep inside, I was seething in anger. I knew it. I knew this design would one day be a b*tch to me. How many times did I tell Jo Kwon oppa to scrap this idea?

Outside work we’re great friends, but when it comes to projects, there’s a reason the company rarely teams up the head of the architectural (Kwonnie oppa) and head of the engineering departments (yours truly) respectively. It’s because our ideas clash more often than not. We’d usually pair up with other members from a different branch or somewhere else.

However, during those rare times we did collaborate on an assignment (which I can count on one hand), it turned out to be a massive success and considered to be a part of the company’s prime projects. This restaurant is a part of that short list. But then again, it wasn’t without going through one heck of a chaotic situation.

My irritation only grew when this waiter asked me if I wanted to order my dinner. That smug look on his face is not helping at all. I get it, okay? I get that I’ll end up a pathetic dateless woman tonight but no need to rub it in my face. I should speak to Vic unnie about this certain employee of hers. Not suggesting that she’d fire him but more like a disciplinary action or a verbal warning to treat customers with respect.

“Ma’am would you like to order your dinner now? You’ve been here for an hour. I suggest you try out our chef’s choice. It’s our best-seller.” He asked, still with that irritating smile plastered on his face.

Calm down, Seo Joohyun. Calm down. No matter how annoyed you are with him, just let it go. What if he’s the sole breadwinner of his family? What would become of the innocent people he is responsible for if you do something selfish and childish as asking the owner to fire him? No matter what, always be considerate. It’s not like he really did anything wrong other than to piss you off.

I tried to calm down myself for a couple more seconds before I forced the most genuine smile I could come up with at a time like this.

“Listen…” I took a quick look at his name badge.

“Hakyeon-sshi. I appreciate your over attentiveness but as you are aware of, I am waiting for someone. We just had some miscommunication regarding our dinner tonight and that’s the reason why he’s late. I’ll call you in once he arrives. In the meantime, I think there are other customers on that table who needs you more than I do.” I said as I pointed to a grumpy looking man and woman who are giving me the evil eye. What? It’s not my fault this particular waiter is so damn clingy. They can have him for all I care.

He finally left and I knew he wouldn’t be back until further notice, which won’t be anytime soon. I’d definitely request for a different waiter or perhaps a female one to take up my order. I was one step away from giving up hope when I heard the door open and a man was ushered inside the room. Him. Jung Yonghwa. Nurse Jung. Yo~ng. I felt my world spinning and my heart beating rapidly.

I could barely register what the waiter was saying (though I admit I am beyond relieved that it’s not that Hakyeon guy) as Nurse Jung took a seat across from me. Why is it that he looks extra handsome and breathtaking tonight? I’m hopeless. Dammit. I don’t think labeling this as a “crush” is even appropriate anymore. It’s something more than that and it’s frustrating because I can’t find the reason why.

After probably ten seconds of silence, we finally had the courage to establish eye contact. Damn. My bad. Those beautiful, intriguing, gentle, brown eyes. I feel like I’m drowning already. Ugh. What is happening to me? I cleared my throat and tried to speak.

“Hey/hi.” We said at the same time.

“You go first/ladies first.” Take two.

“Okay/Sure.” Take three.

“I mean it this time. You go first/I’ll keep my mouth shut. Like I said ladies first.” Take four. Cue the cheesy love song playing in the background. I feel so giddy and I’m not the least bit ashamed of trying to cover it up. Aish.

He gave me that ten thousand watt smile as he did this cute gesture that meant he’s going to zip his mouth shut and allow me to do the talking first. Somebody give me a life vest or something because I’m drowning in these feels.  

“I can’t believe this.” I admitted, trying to keep the smile to myself. A futile effort I must say.

“Neither do I.” He replied, also with a smile decorated on his gorgeous face. Did anyone hear my plea awhile ago? I really am in need of a life vest.

“Does such a thing really exist? Am I supposed to take this as coincidence or perhaps, fate? Forgive me for being rude, but did you know who I am before you approached me? Before everything else?” I said in one breath.

“To answer your questions one by one. Yes, Engineer Seo, these things do exist in real life too. Coincidence or fate? I’d say it could be a little bit of both, but I choose to believe in the latter. Did I know who you were before I approached you? Yes.” he admitted.

I didn’t really know if I should feel disappointed or betrayed. I just felt awed, and incredibly guilty. So all this time, he’s the guy I’ve ditched.

“I still can’t believe it’s you.” I said. Truthfully, I was going to apologize, but more than that, I am still in a daze with this newfound knowledge.

He started fidgeting in his seat and he scratched the back of his head.

“Uh…actually, uhm…I..I-it’s not me.” He answered back.

“Huh?” Now I’m confused.

“I’m supposed to meet my little sister’s unnie..” he started.

“Your little sister’s unnie? Doesn’t that make her your sibling too?” I sought for clarification.

“No. My “little sister” or dongsaeng isn’t actually my sister. She’s my best friend’s girlfriend…”

I grimaced upon hearing the “best friend’s girlfriend” thing and I could picture all the ugly dramas that surrounded the world of unrequited love.

“It’s not what you’re thinking, Hyun. I really do treat her as a younger sister. It was a joke at first because we happen to have the same last name. I do not see her that way. Besides, she’s too in love with my best friend and vice versa. I’m more of their hyung/oppa/parent in some kind of way.” he explained.

“I see.” I don’t even know why I feel so relieved.

“It’s a blind date. I’m not keen on meeting this woman for some personal reasons but I promised both my dongsaengs that I’ll grant this request of theirs. It’s a long and complicated story but I’ll tell you when we have time. Just not now. I’m sorry, Hyun. Forgive me.” he said.

“What are you apologizing for?” I asked.

“For agreeing to put up with that request even if I’m keen on pursuing you.” he reasoned out.

“What?” Now I really am confused. And giddy. Oh what the hell.

“Aigoo. I guess I wasn’t clear enough on my intention then. I really like you, Engineer Seo. You captivate me in every single way you could think of. It feels like you were the part of me that I didn’t know was missing until that day we first met.” He said sincerely. I could tell from his body language that he’s nervous about this admission.

I am rendered speechless, to be honest. It feels like my mind is no longer capable of coming up with a decent sounding reply which could cover up all these feelings. Am I? Is this? Ani. It’s too soon to utter that four letter word. It’s not it. Maybe it’s just attraction. Maybe this is just because I’ve never encountered someone like him. Maybe I’m just being weird. Or maybe I’ve been single for too long. I have to keep telling myself to be cautious, otherwise, I will hurt myself from the fall. But then again, there’s this annoying gut feeling that time will run out if I won’t step out of my comfort zone. It’s either now or never. I feel like I’ll regret it if I let this go on any longer. I can’t think of anything to say when I heard him speak.

"Hakuna Matata is a Swahili phrase that literally translates to "There are no worries”." He started. Well, that was a good enough of an icebreaker.

"I know what it means, Nurse Jung. I've watched The Lion King a thousand times. I even got the song stuck in my head." Finally! I think the aliens haven’t abducted my brain after all. It’s still safely tuck inside my skull.

"But I bet you didn't know it's a Swahili phrase." He countered. He winked and threw a flying kiss at my direction. The aliens have arrived and took my sanity with them back to whatever planet they live in.

"Ugh. Such a know-it-all. I think we should just order our dinner. I’m starving.” I replied.

I saw him raise his hand possibly to get the attention of the nearest waiter nearby (who, unfortunately, is that Hakyeon guy) when I reached over and grabbed it. The two of us immediately let go when we felt that weird, yet very strong static. We massaged our own palms in an attempt to recover from the unwarranted reaction.

“See. Even science knows that we have chemistry. Did you feel the spark?” he winked at me as he laughed.

Help! Somebody help me! I’m afraid there isn’t enough space left

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter