Fifth Equation: The Introduction

Y+M=I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fifteen days passed by and so far, there has been no traces or signs of “Drake.” How could there be when I am able to predict his move and block his attempts before his search goes any further? I thought it’ll be easier for me to get to know his name and search his profile, but the guy is clever enough to cover up his tracks. He transferred the money to one of his friends’ accounts and used that one to forward it to Taeyeon unnie’s and then to mine.

Taeyeon unnie “conveniently” deleted her transaction files and she couldn’t recall the name of Drake’s friend to make my search easier. Every time I’d close in on his identity, he blocks my leads and vice versa. Touché. If this is what he wants, this is what he gets. Two can play this game.

 “This week has been exciting, don’t you think, maknae?” Yoona unnie teased me.

“Huh? I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve been busy with work and everything’s just like how it used to be.” I replied coolly, though deep inside, my mind was screaming, begging, pleading, that they let this topic go.

Hyoyeon and Taeyeon unnies snorted. I kept my fingers crossed and pretended to be busy with some paperwork when Sunny unnie came in with Tiffany unnie.

“So, how’s Drake, Sophie? Any new encounters of some sort? Come on, sweetheart. I think the push-and-pull is enough. It’s been two weeks. He did pay for the dress anyway and left an extra $500. Now that, is one generous namja.

Not to mention, he’s cute too. We all know he’s totally your type and that you were head over heels the minute he started quoting that boring book of yours and the other ones he mentioned after that.” Sunny unnie laughed.

Thank you, unnie. For reminding the other three and then recruiting another one into this madness.

“Drake? Sophie? I’ve only been to Thailand and so much has happened? Maknae! You owe your favorite unnie a story! Spill!” Fany unnie squealed excitedly as she hauled me over to sit in the couch.

“I’m her favorite unnie!!!” the others chorused. Like I said, this favorite unnie argument never gets old.

I gave her a simple run-down of the events. The other four unnies who were there with me (Taeyeon, Hyoyeon, Yoona, and Sunny unnies) were the ones who added the exaggerated info (about me blushing, being an expert in flirting, etc etc). I tried to deny, but the more I did, the more obvious it became that I really am attracted to this namja who calls himself “Drake.”

Fany unnie complained that the others should’ve at least taken a picture. They said they were enjoying the show so much to even think about pictures or videos. They tried to compensate by showing off my embarrassing photo instead. The only image they were able to capture during that fateful encounter.

“What about Minhyuk’s hyung? You know, your blind date? How are you going to explain this to Krystal?” Fany unnie asked me.

“I promised her that I’ll meet him this Sunday. That’s just a couple of days from now. I do owe the guy an apology. I doubt he’d want to meet me again after what I did to him, the ditching and all, and it’s not like I want things to work out between us. I’m not exactly keen on arranged setups and Krystal said she understands. It’s just one meeting she’s asking for and whether Minhyuk’s hyung would still want to meet with me or not, that is up to us. We talked about this already and I….” I started explaining.

“She doesn’t want things to work out with her blind date because she’s smitten by that Drake guy!” Yoona unnie cut me off.

“UNNIE!” that’s all I could say. Denial and witty remarks, where art thou?

“Aw, that’s too bad. I really thought you’d make a cute couple with Mr. Eye Smile’s hyung.” Fany unnie said.

“What’s his name, anyway? And how did you get to meet him, Hwang Miyoung?” Sooyoung unnie asked as soon as she arrived.

“I didn’t really meet him, like meet him. I was actually in the car when I saw Krystal approach this guy. We all know how she’s still hung up on Kang Minhyuk so thoughts about that namja being her rebound or so were easily dismissed. They looked like long lost siblings from the way they interacted and I don’t know. I got that feeling that he’s the one Mr. Eye Smile was talking about.

I asked her about him and she denied about him being maknae’s blind date but you know how persistent I can be, so in the end, she told me the truth. HOWEVER, she refused to tell me his name. Anyway, the important thing is, from one glance, I can totally profile him as Seo Joohyun’s type.” Fany unnie rapped.

“UNNIE!” I screamed. Hyoyeon unnie covered my mouth as I started my protest. I knew this conversation about ideal types wouldn’t end until I do something about it.

“What exactly is Seo Joohyun’s type?” Sunny unnie started.

Too late for escape. It’s not like I can’t pretend I don’t know what will happen next. Might as well just it up and let them remind me of all the things I listed in that silly ideal guy checklist they all made me write when I was drunk (when I didn’t even know it was an alcoholic drink).

“Oh, you know. The nerdy, good-looking, charming, type.” Fany unnie recalled.

“The kind who quotes poetry or literature or anything that is boring to mankind.” Jessica unnie remarked.

“Height doesn’t matter as long as he’s still slightly taller than Hyunnie even when she’s wearing killer heels.” Yuri unnie said.

“As for looks, the “eyes are the windows to the soul,” as Seo Joohyun loves to quote, so that’s the most important feature she looks at. Uri maknae would fall for a guy with pretty eyes. Brown eyes, to be specific.” Taeyeon unnie recounted.

“You mean chocolate brown eyes. The kind that makes you feel warm and fluffy inside whenever you stare at it.” Hyoyeon unnie teased me.

This is the reason you shouldn’t write anything or post on SNS when you’re intoxicated. Chocolate brown eyes? Warm and fluffy inside? I swear I can’t even recognize myself for writing such things.

“It would be a bonus if he loves and can take care of kids since Seohyun can barely even hold a sleeping infant.” Sooyoung unnie said.

“Hey!” I was just about to tell them that I can hold a baby properly but they shut me up and continued on with “the ideal guy checklist.”

“Fashion sense matters too but as long as he’s decently dressed and looking all clean and neat, then it’s a go. Hairstyle is preferred if he has his bangs set down. Seo Joohyun loves it when a charming, intelligent, and good-looking namja can do a hairflip better than her.” Sunny unnie joined.

“Let’s not forget that a fragrant namja is a total turn on for Seo Joohyun. What was that description she wrote on that checklist?” Fany unnie began once more.

Oh no. That was the absolute worst! Andwae! I opened my mouth to put an end to this but Hyoyeon unnie raised her hand and screamed out loud saying,

“This is the best! Seo Joohyun likes a guy with a masculine scent, most preferably one who uses a Hugo Boss perfume so it could complement and embrace her femininity. That was hilarious! Seriously, Hyunnie? Embrace femininity?” she laughed.

Ugh. It’s confirmed. I was out of mind during that time. I swear, I’ll never let curiosity win over me. Just because those cocktail drinks looked so innocent, cute, and inviting. This. This is what I gained from it.

“Uh oh. Sounds a lot like Seohyun’s “Drake.” Or should I say, Sophie’s “Drake?”” Yoona unnie laughed.

“Minus the kids part. We don’t even know if he can change a diaper, but that’s beside the point.” Sica unnie giggled.

“Omo! Uri maknae is going to get caught up in a love triangle!” Sooyoung unnie exclaimed.

By this time, I successfully got out from Hyoyeon unnie’s grasp. They still teased me about my ideal type. They even went as far as dividing themselves into groups such as Team Hottie Blind Date vs. Team Drake.

I received a message on my phone that I needed to be back in the office for an emergency. For the first time since I landed my job, I’ve never been this delighted to be asked to report back to work. I saw my chance to escape.

“I have to go, unnies. Duty calls.” I said as I waved my phone, hurriedly stashed my stuff in my bag and headed towards the door.

I bumped into Krystal in the hallways and she gave me a reminder that I text the details of this Sunday’s blind date. Apparently, I’m the one who gets to pick the time and location, and so far, I have nothing in mind. I promised her that I will but that I’m in a hurry right now so I’ll just keep in touch.

I ran towards the office since the message did state this was an emergency.

“Hi, Eunji. Am I late? Where’s sajangnim? I got caught up in traffic. I’m so sorry.” I said in one go, still feeling breathless from using the stairs (damn that elevator maintenance schedule!).

“Sajangnim left an hour ago. He talked with the client over the phone and I think it’s all settled. Unnie, about the man waiting in your office…I am so so so sorry. I thought he’s the same client that’s why I let him in.

He said it’s a matter of life and death and he used all this medical ter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter