Fourth Equation: The Search

Y+M=I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s been fifteen days since that café incident. I was so close to getting the vital information but she’s always one step ahead of me. She’s able to block my move and then I have to start from scratch. It’s like a rookie trying to win over the computer in a game of chess. I’m always on the losing end. Before I can think of my next strategy, she’s already got me check mate.

I can’t let this go on any longer, otherwise, I’d lose her. My leads have been promising so far and with the way she manages to thwart my attempts only means I’m getting closer. Fifteen days felt like fifteen years but that doesn’t mean I’m going to give up. Not now. Not ever.

I wrote down notes, called some contacts, and went back to my laptop. I considered hiring a private investigator since every other effort so far has failed, but decided against it. I don’t want her to think I’m breaching her privacy and I did say so myself that she is worth the trouble I’m going through right now.

I was focused on so many tasks, phone calls, and chatting up some possibly relevant people when I heard the living room door opened and in came a bright and cheerful Jung Soojung. Uri Minhyukkie’s girlfriend. She’s like the little sister I wish I had.

“Oppa, don’t forget your Sunday evening schedule! Today’s Tuesday so you don’t have any excuses left since I told you five days earlier.” Soojung reminded.

Or not. That blind date. Again. That woman who keeps ditching me every chance she gets. Soojung continued to speak happily.

“My unnie finally agreed to meet up with you!” I could hear Soojung’s excited voice but I wasn’t really paying attention. My focus was on my laptop and the papers that were scattered around it.

“Like that’s something new. This unnie of yours ALWAYS agrees to meet up with uri hyung. The question is, will she SHOW UP this time?” Jungshin snorted. I wasn’t surprised to see Jonghyun smack his head.

“Yah! How can you be so insensitive?!” Jonghyun scolded from the background.

“Ey, hyung! Soojungie’s a tough girl. She’s doing fine and it’s not like I said anything that isn’t true.” Jungshin playfully ruffled Soojung hair who then stomped his foot and glared at him.

If this happened before, Soojung would’ve cried and then the three of us would all panic since there is a huge possibility that things would be blown out of proportion. However, she’s been on the road to recovery and so far, there hasn’t been a relapse. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that she’s doing fine, now that she can argue with Jungshin like she used to before everything else happened.

“She’s going to show up this time! I didn’t even have to convince her. She’s the one who said she’ll meet up with you. You have to thank Fany unnie for dropping in a life-changing compliment that made my unnie rethink her decision.” she said proudly.

I wheeled around to face them with a smug expression on my face.

“Who’s Fany? Ah. That girl who has this peculiar obsession with the color pink? She must’ve gushed over my superior looks and your other unnie, a.k.a, the one who kept ditching me, must’ve been shallow enough to believe that, hence, the voluntary act of wanting to meet up with me.” I bragged.

Soojung rolled her eyes as she took a seat.

“Really, oppa. You think so highly of yourself. Superior looks? In what angle?” she teased me.

“YAH!” I pretended to be hurt and mad. The three of them just laughed at my failed “acting.”

“Aigoo, oppa. I was just kidding. I think you look decent. Now before you complain, you should take that as a compliment. All guys are ugly in my eyes except for Minhyuk oppa, so you are lucky enough to be in the level of “decency.” You and Jonghyun oppa. Jungshin oppa does not count.”

“Hey! Me?! Ugly?! JUNG SOOJUNG!!!!” Jungshin protested. Soojung just ignored his rants and looked at me once more.

“You do know that I wouldn’t even think of setting you up with my unnie if it wasn’t for Minhyuk oppa, right?” she asked.

“And you do know that I wouldn’t put up with being ditched for 2 years if not for my dongsaeng, right?” I back. All of us laughed.

“I know, oppa. This is why I keep telling Minhyuk oppa that you and my unnie are like fire and ice. Oil and water. Yin and yang. Most of all, the two of you are total nerds at heart. Your conversations would probably be all about who quoted the most authors and those boring books. I think I’ll fall asleep when you start debating, which would probably occur just ten seconds after you’ve been introduced to each other.

I don’t know why Minhyuk oppa insists to let you two meet. He thinks he’s some awesome matchmaker just because the two of us got together.” Soojung smiled absentmindedly as she was probably recalling fond memories of her and Kang Minhyuk.

“Yah, Jung Soojung. If that sunshine pabo was really a genius matchmaker, then he would’ve spared the two of you from unnecessary breakups by going after you the moment he realized you were meant to be!

Besides, have you never heard of the term “opposites attract?” I couldn’t think of any other reason why uri Minhyukkie fell for a spoiled brat like you! Aside from the other possibility that you hired someone to poison his mind!” Jungshin butted.

“Mwo?! Spoiled brat? Yah! Just in case you forgot, we were childhood sweethearts! I’m the one who couldn’t think of any reason why he’d be friends with a clingy dude like you!” Soojung replied angrily.

Jungshin was going to say something else but Jonghyun and I looked at him and said,

“Shin-ah, geumanhae.”

His shoulders drooped and he sighed.

“Ahrasseo, hyungs.” He stuck his tongue out at Soojung who then rolled her eyes and laughed at him.

Soojung came over to where I was and started sifting through the papers.

“Hey!” I tried to snatch it back but it was too late.

“Oppa, what is this? Who’s this girl? Are you, perhaps, stalking someone?” Soojung asked as she read my notes.

“Oh that. I doubt your unnie would still have a chance with my hyung because two weeks ago he met his dream girl and splashed coffee all over her dress. You should’ve seen that scenario

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter