Brown

☙Blue World❧

The weather was cloudy but there were no traces of an upcoming rain. The sun was trying to peek through the thick clouds and sometimes even succeeded. The classroom was as always noisy and everyone was in need to finish their stories or gossips before the bell rings, and the teacher ends their chatter.

Of course I was an exception to this ritual since my group of friends included only one person and that was Lee Hyukjae. The blonde boy was now preoccupied with listening to my classmates´ stories and telling his very own. Hyukjae wasn´t an exception you see. And I didn´t mind because I would blame myself if I were to drag him down to the depths of being an outcast together with me. I was content with having him for myself during our afternoons and the café or during the lunch breaks.

“The class is starting, brats!” Kangin roared and everyone was back to their seat in only three seconds. Smooth, teach.

“Are you happy to see me?” He laughed because the reaction was just as he had expected. Who would want to have this brute when we could have our beautiful math teacher? Even I was grumpy even though I like the guy. “Calm down, brats. Mrs. Kim is sick so I and Mr. Choi will take after her lessons this week,” Kangin said but this time the reaction was slightly better. Of course the change was thanks to Mr. Choi Siwon, one of the most popular teachers at school. He doesn´t have our class this year so seeing him again after some time will be a huge uproar in the female section of the class. I on the other hand don´t care at all.

“Are you listening, Donghae?” Hyukjae´s voice suddenly woke me up. It was our lunch break and as always we were sitting alone in the classroom.

“I´m sorry, I was daydreaming,” I apologised and bit into my sandwich.

“What were you thinking about?” Hyukjae asked and forced a spoonful, which was way too big, into his mouth. Unexpectedly it fit.

“Actually about nothing. When Mrs. Kim Sunkkyu is there, I can at least stare at,” I paused, “but with Kangin I just naturally fell asleep. It´s not like he can see it through my glasses.”

“That´s lame,” Hyukjae chuckled, “Who is this Mr. Choi?”

“Mr. Choi Handsome Siwon is kinda superstar at our school. He has the looks, money and personality too. He teaches just for fun but he´s too religious for my liking,” I explained as best and short as I could.

“That sounds strange,” Hyukjae chuckled, “I´ll see for myself tomorrow.”

The school then proceeded and before I knew it, it was already afternoon. I decided to go from school right to the café since Hyukjae´s shift starts soon. I´ll hang out with him for a bit. Our relationship was back to normal and neither of us opened the topic from this weekend again. We would wait for it to settle naturally I guess.

We sat down at the table in the corner and chatted. Hyukjae was trying to explain the colours to me but I was still unable to grasp it. Hyukjae should become a psychologist in the future.

“I don´t understand, Hyuk,” I whined and the blonde was almost giving up by now.

“Let´s play a game then!” Now that´s sounds interesting. “You might understand better if you try it in a real life. When a new person comes to the café, try to guess his favourite colour. I´ll then ask during my shift and if you are right, you get a point,” Hyukjae challenged.

“Fine! And if I score three points by today, you have to give me a prize!” I tried.

“But if you fail more than twice, you´ll get punished,” Hyukjae smirked but there´s no way, I wouldn´t accept.

“Call!” I said and we shook our hands. Then Hyukjae brought his skinny to the kitchen to prepare for his shift and I nervously tried to remember all the stuff, Hyukjae told me for these past weeks.

I turned to right and saw Hyukjae clap his hands. Race start! And as if it was a magic the doors to the café opened swiftly, the small bell dangling. I scanned the newcomer and scribbled something on a piece of paper and showed it to Hyukjae. The boy just rolled his eyes at my response.

“Leeteuk hyung, the usual?” Hyukae asked and threw me a glance. One point!

After the white loving Leeteuk left another customer came. This time it was a teenage girl in pink dress. I scribbled pink and Hyukjae smirked. Was I wrong? The blonde went to take her order and then bowed slightly and I knew, he was asking for her favourite colour. Hyukjae laughed again and on his way to the kitchen he put his thumb down. One miss.

For some time it was calm and I had to order another ice-tea. At least Hyukaje had time to explain that I can´t judge only by the colour of the clothes but wait a bit and look at the behaviour. That sounds reasonable. The bell rang again and the café welcomed a pair. I´m sure it wasn´t a couple just friends, although the girl looked perfect next to the boy. First I wrote my answer to the boy. In the meantime Hyukjae took their order and came to check.

“Of course Sungmin hyung is pink! I can´t believe your luck,” Hyukjae sighed, “what about his friend? I already asked for her favourite colour and it matches her personality just fine,” my friend grinned and I was sure I would fail. The blonde was confident and of course, it wasn´t white. I just don´t have the right judgement.

For the rest of the afternoon, no new customers entered the café so I went to sit with Sungmin and his friend. See? I´m socializing. Just when I was about to call it a day, finally someone new arrived. The tall man went straight to the counter and it seemed like he would take the order with him. I had less time to judge and Hyukjae´s giggling didn´t make it any easier. How can you laugh at his surely cheesy jokes when I´m here in a trial. It´s either prize or a punishment.

“Donghae?” Hyukjae called from the counter and both he and the tall handsome man looked at me. Does he too want to know my guess? That´s so embarrassing. Nevertheless I wrote down my answer. And it seems like this is my win! Hyukjae´s head fell on the counter and the man laughed heartily. My winning celebration brought laughs to Sungmin and even to Hyukjae.

“Okay, what do you want as your prize?” The blonde asked me when the game was over. At first I wanted to ask him for that huge piece of cake that ruined my wallet but this would only bring the memories of that unfortunate night.

“I want to go to the aquarium!” I finally said. I haven´t been there for a long time because I was embarrassed to ask my mom. It´s kinda childish to go there with your parents instead of a girlfriend. And Hyukjae is my friend so it counts too. Would he want to go though?

“I didn´t expect this honestly,” Hyukjae was thinking for a bit making me nervously squirm at my seat, “but it sounds good. Let´s go on a date, Donghae!” Hyukjae called aloud and once again everyone around turned to look at us. I heard Shindong hyung laugh from the kitchen too. Hyukjae, you bastard! The blonde was giggling in the safety behind the counter already and I at least stuck my tongue at him. Childish? I don´t caaare!

_________________________

The next day at school I sat down on my seat and quietly waited for the teacher to come. I had to laugh when I noticed all the girls put on their best make-up and styled their hair. Yeah, today we have Mr. Choi for math. Exactly with the sound of the bell the teacher entered the classroom. The handsome tall man with the most charming dimpled smile and perfect body features.

“Ouch!”

Something landed on my head which I later identified as rubber. I looked around the classroom to find the culprit but to my surprise it was Hyukjae, who threw it at me. He was turned to me with a scowl on his face. He looked cute but I pretended to be intimidated by his expression.

“That´s cheating, Donghae!” Hyukjae announced to me during the lunch break.

“It´s not, I didn´t know his favourite colour,” I retorted but didn´t dare to look him in the eye without my glasses.

“You had two first points for free since Leeteuk and Sungmin were customers but I let it go because it´s hard to guess one´s favourite colour. You should have told me that the guy was Mr. Choi!” Hyukjae was angry and I kinda understood.

“It doesn´t matter, I told you I didn´t know his favourite colour,” I argued instead of giving up. Hyukjae was right but I had to be stubborn again. Stupid me.

“You might know, I wouldn´t find out anyway. And it´s not fair because you already knew him for a long time and then it´s way easier to guess right,” Hyukjae was getting annoyed by my behaviour. “And you should have warned me beforehand too. I wouldn´t have joked with him if I knew he was our teacher.”

“I don´t have anything against joking around with my students,” a voice coming from the door interrupted our heated conversation. Choi Siwon was standing there smiling brightly. “Were you talking about  yesterday´s bet?”

“Yeah, I was mad since Donghae won without even using his fish brain,” Hyukjae shamelessly answered and even pouted.

“I see, if I knew you it, I wouldn´t have come,” Mr. Choi laughed.

“That wouldn´t be good either since I would lose a customer,” Hyukjae smartly retorted and then they both laughed. What´s going on here? The atmosphere is strange.

“Right. So you are new here, Hyukjae?” Siwon changed the topic and came closer to us.

“Yeah, I changed schools this year but I like it here,” the blond male beamed like a sun. Don´t tell me he got caught by Siwon´s charms too.

“I saw you with bunch of kids around but you are staying here alone for lunch?” The teacher than asked and I wanted to hit him with my sandwich. I believed he was smart so how could he ask such a stupid question. I felt offended.

“I like Donghae the best though so I rather stay with him for the lunch,” Hyukjae didn´t hesitate to answer and once again I felt that blissful feeling in my stomach. That was until I realised that everything was back to normal. Hyukjae was as always defending my pitiful self while I was only uselessly getting angry. Confidence, Donghae. Man up!

“Let´s do this, Hyuk,” I turned both male´s attention to me, “I would be really, really sad if you wouldn´t give me the prize,” I threw my best puppy eyes which always work on the blonde.

“What is it?” Hyukjae sighed. I told he can´t resist. Mr. Choi chuckled, good he doesn´t know what the prize is.

“I´ll take the punishment.” This might work because I myself felt bad for winning the game this way.

“Hmm, that sounds reasonable,” Mr. Choi agreed and Hyukjae pretended to think about it but from his playful eyes I knew, he was already thinking about my punishment.

“I got it! Wait here, I´ll be right back!” The blonde suddenly stood up and sprinted out of the classroom. I and my teacher were left there dumfounded, as always when Hyukjae pulls some kind of a stunt.

The atmosphere became awkward. Choi Siwon wasn´t a bad person but for some reason I felt like he didn´t fancy me very much. The handsome male might be a bit distressed with my blue eyes thanks to his overly religious nature. Mr. Choi is sometimes way too frugal and uptight. It seemed like the tall teacher would say something finally when Hyukjae came rushing back.

“Sorry for the wait!” He yelled and skipped to my desk. “Here´s your punishment for the rest of the day. You can´t break it though, it belongs to Sulli and she wants it back tomorrow,” Hyukjae opened his palm and I hissed. Mr. Choi started laughing.

“I can´t wear that!” I tried but I knew the entire struggle was futile. On my desk were lying sunglasses but I´ve never seen something like this. The glass was tinted pink and the frame was white covered with at least twenty little flowers and sparkly stones. Golden chain was connected to the frame and five little bears in different colours were attached to it. Hyukjae was choosing by colour, just the shape so he doesn´t see how dangerous object I am about to put on my head.

“What are you waiting for, hurry!” Hyukjae pulled of my shades and put them into his pocket. Making sure I wouldn´t switch them again later. Smartass.

But I finally found out why Mr. Choi has always been quietly ignoring me. The moment Hyukjae uncovered my blue eyes; the man stopped laughing and even gasped. He didn´t look at me until my eyes were once more hidden by Sulli´s sunglasses. I was already used to the fact that the students are not the only ones trying to distance themselves from me. I wasn´t as affected by it as I expected. Is it because now I have Hyukjae by my side? Probably.

“You look absolutely adorable, Donghae!” My blonde friend was sporting one of his famous gummy-teeth smile and the teacher too relaxed.

“Why aren´t you laughing at me? You are scary, Hyukjae,” I shivered seeing the blonde in some kind of spazzing state.

“Because you look so cute!” Hyukjae cooed and went pinch my cheeks. Shisus, save me please!

“I´m going back, I have to prepare for the next lesson,” Choi Siwon announced and walked out of the classroom. Betrayer! Saving only your own when I´m about to get squeezed to death.

“C´mon, forget about him. Brown people like Mr. Choi are usually conservative, I´m sure he didn´t mean to act this way towards you,” Hyukjae suddenly said and ruffled my hair. How did he know? I didn´t know he noticed the glance Siwon gave me a while ago and that he would even know my thoughts. I couldn´t decide whether I was delighted or scared by his mind reading.

“Thanks, Hyuk,” I gave him a smile. That´s the right thing to do.

“Aigoo, so cute!” The blonde exclaimed seeing my smile and went to pinch me again. At that moment students started pouring into the classroom and guess what? Again Hyukjae was praised for bullying me! The blonde rolled his eyes and I secretly laughed at that.

My new shades caused quite uproar in the class. Many spiteful remarks came flying at me and the blonde bastard only grinned.

“Hyukjae!” Unfortunately very familiar voice called. “Nicole?” Hyukjae answered with a smile on his lips and I felt my stomach turn. Is this what they call business smile?

“I told you to meet up during lunch, where have you been?” The pretty girl scolded. The classroom went silent apart from whispers and giggles.

“I´m always here during my lunch, get used to it Nicole,” Hyukjae retorted but tried his best not to sound too rude. His false smile still decorating his pale face.

“I think you promised something to me, didn´t you?” The girl warned and my friend slightly shivered. Hyukjae did agree to go along her plan but in no way he would skip our lunchtime for her. I felt pity and terrible guilt. If I let Hyukjae be in the shop, he might have ended the situation with Nicole for good. Now he had to pay for my weakness. I´m a horrible friend.

“Or I could tell them your secret, hm?” Nicole provoked. And everyone started asking Hyukjae about his secrets. The situation is getting dangerous. If it continues like this, someone will surely dig into that and find out about Hyukjae´s colour-blindness.

Hyukjae was sitting silently on his seat. His smile was long got and he was becoming flustered. He wouldn´t spill his own secret in panic, would he? What am I waiting for? This is exactly the moment when he needs me. I´m not sure if I´m confident enough yet but I want to do it. I want to protect Hyukjae.

“Let him be! I´ll tell you the secret!” I stood up and took down the funny shades. My bare blue eyes caused everyone to shut up and look up to me.

“D-Donghae?” Hyukjae breathed out completely freaking out. His eyes were full of fear so I gave him a reassuring smile. Never in my life I would tell them, Hyuk.

All eyes were on me and even Kangin who was about to enter the classroom froze on his way. Nobody even noticed him there. Nicole was trembling too, probably out of anger. And so I did it. I dropped the bomb.

“We´re going on a date this weekend. Me and Hyukjae.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brown definitely isn´t a dreamer, with a colorful imagination. Brown is honest, down-to-earth and wholesome, salt of the earth people with both feet planted firmly on the ground. Brown is steady and reliable and quietly confident, friendly and approachable, genuine and sincere. Colour brown has a keen sense of duty and responsibility -  take obligations very seriously.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here´s the next chappie a bit earlier. I´m going to a concert next week so I´m not sure íf I can post in time the next one. :) I hope you like it. I just realised that in almost every my fanfic is spilled strawberry milk. This joke just never disappoints. Eunhae (the living ones) look so handsome and hot these days, it´s incredible. The 7th jib will be daebak. Don´t forget to watch Mr. Simple MV on youtube o increase the views (fanproject for the jib if you haven´t heard yet). Thank you so much for reading and especially for your awesome comments - PandaHero