The Break Up

❣ My Best Friend ❣

(Park Jinhye - You)

"Bye Jinhye!" Sehun said, waving goodbye. I hugged him quickly as he left, then stood in the school hallways by myself. 

"Jinhye!" a deep, familiar voice called to me.

"Chaneyol?" I said, without even turning around to see his face. I could distinguish his voice from a million others. I hadn't talked a lot to him recently though... Because of... Minjung.

"Jinhye... I need to talk to you. Please. Privately," he pleaded. I nodded immediately and took his hand, walking with him until we reached a small, empty park. 

"No one really comes here. It's one of my favorite places," I explained to him. We sat underneath a large tree.

He took a deep breath. 

What was happening?

"A-are you okay, Chanyeol?" I asked.

"I... I... No. I'm not okay, Jinhye. My heart's broken. Minjung... Minjung broke up with me. Just now. I don't know what to do. She said she just didn't like me at all anymore. Her feelings are just... Gone. Just like that! How is that possible? After all of those dates, hugs, holding hands, words, skinship and love, how could she just throw all of that away?! HOW?!" he cried, breaking into tears.

My heart shattered seeing him like this. He was usually so jubilant. So happy.

"Chanyeol..." I murmured. I held his hand as he continued crying. Jo Minjung... She had always been a brat. A liar. And especially a betrayer.

Fumes of anger arose in me, but  I kept it hidden. For now, I needed to make Chanyeol feel better.

"Hey, Yeol, guess what?" I asked him.

"What," he said unenthusiastically.

"You're an incredible person, okay? Any girl would be so, so lucky to have a guy as amazing as you," I told him honestly, looking into his big eyes. "Look at you! You're funny, cool, cute, easygoing, fun to be around, kind, sincere, and hot. If Minjung dumped you, it's her fault. She doesn't deserve someone as awesome as you."

"Well..." he started, taking a deep breath and wiping away his tears. "I am pretty hot." And he laughed.

I saw his beautiful smile again, which made me smile too.

"Thanks, Jinhye. Thank you. I know you'll always have my back, thanks so much for being here for me. This is why you're my best friend," Chanyeol said.

Best friend.

We were still best friends.

Nothing less.

Nothing more.

~*~

"Jinhye!" a squeaky voice called me. That voice could only belong to one person, Jo Minjung.

"Hi Minjung," I greeted, faking another smile.

"Hey, I need to have a girl talk with you..." she said, taking my arm roughly and dragging me somehwere in the school less crowded than the halls.

"What is it?" I asked, slightly impatient.

"Well... I'm dating this guy named Peter now," she bragged. "I actually liked this other guy named JoSoo and we dated for a while but I broke up with him a few days later, cuz I liked another guy, but now I'm dating Peter."

"... Wow," I said, in shock. I felt awful for all of the guys she had ever been with. "Wow."

"I know right! It's awesome, I love Peter, LOL!" Minjung squealed. "Well, I'm glad I broke up with Chanyeol. He just got boring, you know? I just don't like people like him."

"Oh..." I said, trying to hold back the explosion of anger in me. "So you just left him for someone else?"

"Yea," she replied proudly. "Oh! I gotta run! See you later! Thanks for listening, I know you'll always listen for me."

Ugh.

This girl was awful.

I covered my mouth with my sweater sleeve and screamed. 

Then I ran to my next class.

~*~

"Jinhye... I need to tell you something," Chanyeol told me over the phone. We were both at our homes, and I was about to go to sleep. His tone was serious. Even though he was a very humorous person, Chanyeol could also be incredibly mature at times. "There's this girl... That I really like."

I paused for a minute, then took a breath and faked the enthusiasm in my voices saying, "Oh my god! That's awesome! Who is it?"

"It's... One of your good friends.TaeHee," he told me. "Please don't tell anyone. I trust you, Jinhye. No one else knows about this."

"O-okay," I replied, my voice faltering. "I promise."

"She's just so awesome! Isn't she?" he asked me.

"Yeah. She is." And I hung up.

TaeHee?

Chanyeol had a crush on TaeHee.

Of course. She was absolutely beautiful. She was so pretty and funny, too. 

She was also a lot skinnier than me. I knew that some people were naturally skinnier, but TaeHee was like a stick. I wished I could be as skinny as her...

I wished Chanyeol would have a crush on me.

No.

No, I needed to stop.

He was my best friend, for god sakes.

I needed to stop right away.

I had NO feelings for Chanyeol.

I would love Sehun.

Sehun was great.

I would love Sehun.

And Chanyeol would never, ever be anything more than a friend.

I promised myself.