Chanyeol

Apartment 23 | 2.0 || hiatus

Emotion
n, \ ɪˈməʊʃən\
1. a mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by phychological changes
2. a complex and usually strong subjective reponse, such as love or hate
3. something that should be locked up in drawers, or simply kept in your pockets

26th of April, 2009

A wicked grin played along his lips, not wide enough to showcase his flawless rack of teeth but the mischievous glint in his eyes spoke book folds.
 
“You can’t afford another afternoon of detention, you know that right?”
 
The grin remained but the corner of his mouth twitched up so his lips created half a smile. Sighing, his friend shook her head and pulled her eyes back to the infamous book filled with numbers and letters that didn’t quite make sense to her. But as of now anything was better than being dragged down into the mess Chanyeol was about to create.
 
“He’ll have your head but you already know that.”
 
He slowly pulled his finger back, not taking his eyes off his target as a deep chuckle rumbled in his chest. “We’ll see,” he somewhat responded and subtly ran his eyes over the classmates occupying the seats in the room. His tongue peeked from between his crescent lips to wetten them and rest in the corner of his mouth. “How are you so sure he’ll know it’s me?”
 
“He always knows it’s you!” Hana instantly countered with a harsh whisper but slowly slid down her seat a little, lowering her voice. “I don’t know why you even bother being subtle.”
 
His grin widened.
 
“Thrill.”
 
And following his words, a snap of a rubber band sounded, followed by a smack against something firm yet mendable and a bloodcurdling scream that had the heads of the whole student body look up from their books and eye the source of disturbance.
 
“Headshot,” she heard Chanyeol mutter under his breath beside her and Hana knew he was done for. She patiently waited for the—
 
“Park Chanyeol!”
 
Followed by the—
 
“Detention!”
 
And once again shook her head but this time a subtle smile tugged at her lips. Typical.

 
Dangling her legs from the brick edge of the bridge, the seventeen year old Hana watched how colorful blossom petals drizzled through the air until it reached the still surface of the pond near her school building. The sun stood low against the horizon, casting a rosy twilight across the sky until it spread into the blanket of clouds. Subconsciously, her small frame shuddered in discomfort when a gentle yet icy breeze met with her bare arms, a wave of goosebumps washing over her skin.
 
“Damned rebel,” she muttered and curled her fingers over the edge of the brick railing. She had lost count of how many times she had sat here because she was waiting for Chanyeol but she was sure she wouldn’t be able to count it on two hands. Today, however, the amount of times she had spent counting the branches on the trees surrounding the pond was cut short. The constant shifting of gravel caught her attention as the sound seemed to come closer. Hana pivoted her head to the side and instantly spotted the familiar lanky figure making his way towards her. When they met eyes, his smile widened and he spread his arms.
 
“I guess a well-meant sincere apology is in order,” he boomed satisfied and hopped over to the girl, balancing the strap of his sling bag on his shoulder as he did. Hana merely rolled her eyes with a subtle smile and swung her legs over the edge, managing to safely land on her feet. “I never doubted you one second,” she emphasized and lightly punched Chanyeol’s shoulder as she passed him.
 
“That’s not really an apology but I’ll take it.”
 
Hana glanced over her shoulder and just in time spotted Chanyeol’s grin before he pressed his lips together. Focusing on the gravel under her feet again, the girl felt a smile of her own grow onto her lips but Chanyeol didn’t see. She wondered what would happen if he ever did.
 
“Want to grab something to eat?” Chanyeol heard his friend ask and his eyebrows fell into a frown as he thought of his plans. When he was about to say yes, a perfect image blurred his words and he found his heart beating faster the longer he thought of her. “I can’t,” he instead answered, his voice obviously giving away whatever he felt because Hana let out a chuckle, somewhat lifeless. Chanyeol didn’t notice.
 
“Night with Mei?” Hana’s distant voice reached his ears and all he could do was hum in agreement. Settling with his answer, Hana nodded to herself and hooked her fingers behind her back. “Well, let’s not keep her waiting,” she said and slightly picked up her pace, striding across the park towards the parking lot. Even though Chanyeol was a tall boy, he sometimes still had a hard time keeping up with his tiny female counterpart. Because regardless of her vertically challenged frame, Hana could agilely make her way around things like a squirrel and it often worried him.
 
The list of quirks of knowing people for a long time was endless; Chanyeol, however, managed to filter out a few of these that would seem utmost important in their further life together. Hana didn’t like strawberries and surprisingly, that damn type of fruit could be found in almost everything Chanyeol loved. So often the boy had to deal with disgusted faces and subtle comments regarding it. It were small things like this that made life together with Hana a little more exciting.
 
But as was clear—to every good thing, a bad thing was connected.
 
It had to be because it created balance in times of distress. But sometimes this Yin and Yang formation created worry because how strawberries fed Chanyeol’s energy, so did emotions to Hana. He could never pinpoint the exact moment when it would happen but it were subtle changes in her demeanor that told him that something was off—her change in pace being one of them.
 
“Do you want to join?” Chanyeol offered when he had caught up with his friend and stuffed his hands into his pockets. There was a silence, one that told him that Hana was contemplating whether it would be wise or not to join a couple to hang out, but secretly Chanyeol hoped she would cave. Give in to the stereotype and just go with them.
 
She smiled and lightly shook her head. “Have your night with her,” came the answer and Chanyeol’s heart clenched the slightest when she uttered her last words.
 
“I’d only be a bother.”
 
Stopping in his step, the male frowned and pressed his lips together—as he always did when he felt doubt or happiness—whilst clenching his fists inside his pockets. “You’re never a bother and you know that,” he silently spoke up when Hana had halted as well and turned to her friend, a questioning look in her eyes. This soon morphed into one of doubt when she heard this. “I just want you guys to—”
 
“—and I want you to join,” Chanyeol interrupted and finally met eyes with Hana, his brown orbs emitting a slightly fiercer form of affection. Hana’s parted lips slowly closed after her friend had cut her off and something inside of her stirred. She never enjoyed fighting with Chanyeol and neither did the latter, but the girl had a feeling what he meant with his words and frowned the slightest. She didn’t want to say it but—
 
“I don’t need a man in my life to keep me happy, Yoda,” she muttered the response she had feared to utter and instantly saw the change in Chanyeol’s expression. “You’re seventeen, what do you know?” he bit back and pulled his hands from his pockets to run a few fingers through his already tousled hair. He was right and Hana knew it—she didn’t know much about life yet but the way Chanyeol was treating her hadn’t allowed her to venture it. She was locked away by his dazzling smile and deep eyes that managed to make goosebumps appear whenever their gazes would lock. Whenever they were together it became harder for her to breathe and he didn’t know.
 
So she played along.
 
“Equations and subtracting.”
 
Even when she wanted to hide her current emotions, Chanyeol noticed. He saw whenever she was conflicted and it somehow amused him that Hana thought the opposite.
 
But he played along.
 
“Exactly,” he responded instead and, as expected, saw how Hana pulled her gaze away and clasped her fingers into the fabric of her skirt. Chanyeol’s expression softened at the frown that he spotted between his friend’s eyebrows. She couldn’t stand him right now and he knew—she never liked it when he won the argument because it would be one too many times that he managed to shut her up with one of his self-proclaimed smart remarks.
 
The sun continued to set, the wind picking up the slightest so when Chanyeol ran his eyes over Hana’s posture, her addicting dark tresses came to sight as they moved with the silent motion of the always present spring breeze. He felt the memory of her soft locks tingle at the tips of his fingers—it made him weaker. He would ruffle her hair in a form of endearment but was it really? Pressing his lips together, he stuffed his hands into his pockets and pulled his eyes away from the girl in front of him. Hana made everything harder for him and it almost amused him that she never noticed what kind of effect she had on him. But if a girl always keeps her gaze towards her feet, she will never notice what goodness is out there, waiting for her to grasp.
 
“Fine.”
 
Hana’s soft voice caught Chanyeol’s attention but he didn’t dare look at her for her voice didn’t sound as one that had settled with the situation. She hadn’t.
 
“I’m going home,” she spoke up again, her voice louder this time. “Say hi to Mei for me,” she added and Chanyeol could feel her finally look up at him, lingering—waiting—before he could hear footsteps in the gritty path moving away from him. When the constant sound faded, Chanyeol closed his eyes and let out a sigh. “Damnit,” he muttered and washed a hand over his face, dragging it down until he could rest it in the nape of his neck.
 
It happened again.


 
Frowning, the young woman slowly chewed on a bit of carrot as she watched on how her boyfriend picked at his food. “Is it too red?” she asked, catching Chanyeol’s attention at once. The man looked up from his plate, a small smile settling on his full lips when he locked gazes with his girlfriend. He shook his head lightly and held his fork tighter. “It’s fine, babe,” he said and, as quickly as he had looked up, averted his eyes again to his filled plate. Chanyeol knew Mei wasn’t stupid so the sight of him not devouring the nearly raw piece of steak in front of him seemed like an off picture. The clank of her utensils hitting the table next to her own plate was the first sign that she had noticed something.  
 
“What’s wrong?” came her question and Chanyeol felt his fingers tighten over his fork and knife even more. He knew it had become an unwanted habit of theirs to have a moment like this, and the worst part was that he was almost positive that he was to blame for its existence. Mei was always left in the dark—he knew that—but how could he tell his girlfriend of a few months that he was doubting.
 
Doubting whether his choices in life had been the right ones, or that he had taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way. Doubting whether whatever he was feeling right now would be deciding in future events, or that it was a phase.
 
Chanyeol mentally snorted. That would be an active lie and he knew it.
 
Mei sighed. “Chan, if you don’t talk to me, I can’t do anything to help you,” she spoke up softly and when Chanyeol looked up, he noticed that his girlfriend hadn’t been looking at him when she said this. She almost looked like a puppy that had been scolded, and all she could do was look down as to not anger her owner even more. He had seen this sight earlier today but unlike the weak sensation that had settled in his heart back then, right now he felt nothing but guilt. He couldn’t see Mei’s face but he was sure she looked hurt—hurt by her own boyfriend’s lack of words.
 
“Is it Hana?”
 
This uttered sentence resulted in Chanyeol’s heart to pick up its pace.
 
“I’m not an idiot, Chan,” Mei continued and looked up from her plate. She wore a small smile, but Chanyeol knew the girl. She only showed that expression whenever they had these type of serious conversations and the man had seen it far too much, to his own disappointment.
 
“If it is, I don’t want to hear it,” she said and slid back her seat to get up. She slightly slanted her jaw and neatly placed her napkin that had been lying on her lap next to her plate. “It’s something that doesn’t concern me because she’s your best friend, not mine,” she frowned the slightest, “but I think that that fact is probably something that is bothering you. Because if it is, then it does concern me. Our relationship, to be exact.”
 
She pressed her lips together as she watched how Chanyeol’s lips kept parting and shutting, as if he wanted to say something but then chose against it. The fact that he didn’t oppose of her words probably stung—Chanyeol knew—but what could he say that would make the tears that were b in her eyes cease? He couldn’t lie, so he remained silent.
 
Mei nodded to herself and walked past the table towards where Chanyeol was still seated, until she stood next to him. The man had followed her with his eyes, and pressed his lips together when he felt his girlfriend’s soft touch on his shoulder.
 
“Figure out what you want, Chanyeol,” Mei sighed, her voice shaky as she lightly squeezed his shoulder. “then come back to me.”
 
She paused for a moment, not removing her hand just yet. “Please,” she added softly and let go of her boyfriend as she walked away, leaving the room the two had been eating dinner just a few minutes ago. Once again, fading footsteps were the only thing Chanyeol could hear as he was left alone once more.
 
Closing his eyes, the man let out a defeated sigh and buried his face in his hands as he waited for the front door to close, leaving him alone in his home. Silence crashed into the room and all Chanyeol could hear was his own breathing, and the rushing of his blood in his ears. Alone with his thoughts once again, and Chanyeol hated it. For one, because he knew his so-called ‘wise choices’ always ended up being the wrong ones in his life. And once again, Park Chanyeol was left with an ultimatum which he rather had not have.
 
“Damnit.”  



4th of February, 2014

He had been like this for years, and he hadn’t taken what he wanted back then. Now, five years after that event, Park Chanyeol was a changed man and everyone had noticed. Hana had as well but this somehow bothered him—not enough to become noticeable but enough for him to feel unease whenever he thought about it.
 
Pulling his shoulder back, Chanyeol straightened his suit’s jacket over his body and walked up the ceremonial steps of his Grand Casino, counting them as he always did, and smiled when he reached number eleven. Call him strange but he liked uneven numbers; it meant he had something acceptably imperfect in his seemingly perfect surroundings.
 
“You got this,” he muttered to himself and nodded at Kyungsoo who was standing next to the entrance of the casino. Noticing that the shorter was missing his taller counterpart, Chanyeol frowned. “Where’s Jongin?” he inquired and glanced around the empty steps. Kyungsoo sighed and shrugged. “Probably late again but I shouldn’t be worrying about him if I were you,” he answered and leaned back against the door behind him with a smug smile. “The young fellow inside is far more interesting.”
 
At this, Chanyeol swallowed once and pressed his palm against his forehead to rid himself of the sudden drops of sweat that were running down. “I know,” he answered and lightly slapped his cheeks. He never felt nervous and a few minutes ago he felt more than confident in his shoes, but the moment his witty employee brought the issue up, he deflated.
 
A subtle smile began growing onto Kyungsoo’s lips when he heard Chanyeol’s somewhat shaky voice. “Could it be that infamous, fearless Mr. Park is actually feeling a little distraught?” he cocked an eyebrow and pushed himself from the door to take a few steps closer to his boss. Chanyeol frowned and scoffed. “As if!”
 
But the closer Kyungsoo came to him, the more he felt his remaining confidence seep away from his pores together with his sweat.
 
“Ok, maybe.”
 
“You shouldn’t be,” the shorter instantly countered and even pat the man on the shoulder. “You got this one in the pocket. He obviously is curious of what you have to say so I shouldn’t worry too much about it.”
 
Kyungsoo was right and he knew it. The man had become his right hand when he took the job as a porter and helped Chanyeol when his mind failed to provide him with a solution. Everyone in the business knew that Grand Casino’s manager was a smart and educated man—he could strike interesting deals and swoop the most important people on the market off their feet—but people also knew that Park Chanyeol was easily conflicted because of his emotions. He didn’t show it abundantly—only the best could figure out that he lacked a proper backbone—but it was noticeable, and Kyungsoo had noticed. He did but he wouldn’t ever take advantage of that knowledge. Sure, he threw it out once in a while to get his way but Chanyeol was also his friend, someone whom he would never ever in his life betray.
 
Hence, putting a little more effort into calming his boss was no biggie. It even amused him the slightest. So with a small smile, Kyungsoo took his position next to the door again and opened it for the man. “Go get ‘em, tiger,” he grinned and bowed politely, waiting for his boss to disappear into the building, not before receiving a thankful pat on the shoulder. The smile remained and Kyungsoo was satisfied. Another day served right.
 
“Soo, sorry I’m late!” a husky voice sounded from next to him, deep breaths hiding between the words. “Has the boss arrived already?”
 
Kyungsoo let go of the door so it closed, and turned to the younger yet taller that had just arrived. “You just missed him,” he smiled softly but moved in to flick Jongin on the forehead when the latter had straightened. A pained expression washed over his face, accompanied by a groan. “What the hell!” Jongin exclaimed and rubbed the sore spot. Kyungsoo sneered and pushed the younger’s forehead. “Buy a watch, idiot.”
 

 
“Mr. Kim,” a wide smile spread onto his full lips, showcasing his straight pearly whites. The short man wearing a neat navy pinstripe suit jumped the slightest in surprise at the sudden voice, and snapped his head to the entrance of the casino. Here he met eyes with the owner of the building and felt a grin of his own tug at his features. “Mr. Park,” he answered just as professionally and stepped closer to the taller.
 
“Glad you could make it,” Chanyeol smiled and held out his hand for Minseok to take. Blackjack’s manager grinned at this and eyed his hand for a moment before firmly taking it.
 
“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.”
 

AN; [29.3.15] oh my oh my, it has been some time, hasnt it! but im back with an all new chapter and this time it focuses on chanyeol who didnt have a very vital part in the first installment. but it seems that in this one he has a little bigger part than we all thought *wink wink hint hint* i hope that some of you mightve noticed the 'chanyeol knows' repetition that i put in there. i kind of summarized chanyeols personality in the last bit through kyungsoo and with the 'chanyeol knows' i wanted to show you that chanyeol actually doesnt know, he only thinks that he does. the man is sligtly more ed up than he thought hoho. also ive given quite a few hints of how the relationship between chanyeol and hana was during high school and how it might have shifted in the course of time. i actually hope to hear your thoughts on this one because it took me quite a long time to figure out what the perfect reflection was of this man, so pleaseee tell me what you think :) i enjoyed writing this because for me this was an 'out of character' chanyeol in this story because as i said earlier, mr park doesnt have it that easy. i hope i managed to shed some light on a few aspects but fret not, there will be a 'chanyeol 2' so if anyone is curious of what the future will hold for them, stay tuned~~ and of course i havent forgotten about sehun! ive gotten quite some comments on the last chapter about sehuns development, yes tears were shed because he didnt have it easy as well but i was happy to read your thoughts! i will reply to them as soon as im done with this note! i hope that chanyeol will receive just as much love because, yes again, i love reading you all's thoughts! thank you guys so much for sticking with me & until next time <3