Chapter Five

Snippets of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part Five

 

“In the case of this function…”

 

Yoona looked out of the window, bored. It wasn’t really the math that bored her, it was probably the teacher. Or maybe, it was because she already understood what the teacher was trying to explain.

 

Rain clouds floated by lethargically, darkening the sky bit by bit as though reflecting her state of mind.

 

Letting her gaze fall back to her desk, Yoona picked up the pen and continued writing. Nothing mathematical was written on the paper, except the newly added sentence:

 

…I’m stuck in math class right now, it’s almost like 10x10= 100 and teacher is seriously boring, but she’s better than the history dude who’s crazy about bombs.

 

Yoona penned that down, satisfied with her live update.

 

“That’s all for today, remember to do these question on the board as homework over the weekend.”

 

Muted groans rang out as pens scratched to copy down the questions, but even with all the silent complaints, the atmosphere was considerably chirpier than before. Math class was the last for the day, of the week. At the sound of the bell, scrambles to pack up and loud conversations took over.

 

Middle school, where things happened. Maybe?

 

Yoona put the letter into a folder, taking extra care to prevent creasing the sheet, and reminded herself to attach a picture she took with Jessica once she gets home. Weeks ago, Sooyoung had written that she missed Jessica when Yoona mentioned how their unnie was dying in her first year of high school.

 

She could almost see Sooyoung’s curious eyes and playful claps at Jessica’s predicament through her written words. Months after they started exchanging letters, Sooyoung had laughed at how well Yoona was doing too. 

 

Didn’t you say you’d die? You’re still alive! Or am I writing to a ghost?

 

Almost a year down the road and they had remained friends. She was thankful that distance didn’t break them up, even though she still missed that presence beside her.

 

“Yoona!”

 

Yoona’s head snapped up at the call, a few boys were making their way over to her desk, similar toothy grins plastered to their faces.

 

“Yeah? What’s up!”

 

Responding with a grin of her own, Yoona jabbed one of the boys in the stomach only to laugh at the friendly knock on her head in retaliation.

 

“Hang out with us later? Grab some food and maybe video games?”

 

“I think I promised the girls,” Yoona gestured towards the small group of girls four tables down, “that I’d go with them.”

 

“Damn, we should’ve asked you earlier!”

 

“Where are you going with those fellows?”

 

One of the boys threw a measured look to that group of girls, which ended with slaps on the back from the rest of them. Yoona pondered for a moment, where exactly? It’d actually be more fun with the boys, but just hours before had Yoona being pestered by the girls into accompanying them.

 

“Uh, I don’t know?”

 

“What? Then skip out on it!”

 

It was an (extremely tempting) option, but the girls might hate her for it. Wrath of girls in her class was something she didn’t want to experience again especially when the boys were more easygoing in comparison. At least the ones she hung out with were.

 

“Too many people want a piece of me,” Yoona laughed and wiggled her brows, “I think I need to start charging you guys.”

 

The boys roared with laughter, friendly shoves were exchanged, and the girls looked over. Questions were permeating their stares and Yoona knew she couldn’t possibly dump the girls and run off to play with those boys.

 

Even though she’d like to do that, very much.

 

“Hang out with you guys tomorrow?”

 

“Deal, no backing out!”

 

“Or we’re throwing all the balls at you during physical ed.”

 

The boys walked away, making faces at her. Yoona did a thumbs up and continued packing. It wasn’t a hard decision, her friendship with the guys was fluid, and they liked her because she wasn’t just a pretty face, to quote them. Group of Special Brotherhood, they called it, and they had included her.

 

Girls were more complex. They had been mysterious pre-middle school sans the two main females in her life. Unfortunately, neither were beside her— one being across oceans and the other trying to survive high school without people asking her “how was America like” every few days.  But, at least, Jessica unnie was physically in her world.

 

Thunder rumbled, making its presence known as a throaty shudder across the sky.

 

Yoona looked out the window. It was summer, and the clouds were out of place.  

 

Summer rain.

 

Yoona hastened her packing and made her way to the girls once she was done.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hi, Yoona! Ready to go?”

 

“Yes,” this decision was easy as well, she’d take the girls getting annoyed with her any day, “but I can’t go with you all.”

 

“What? Why? Are you going to hang out with those boys?”

 

“No, I need to get to my unnie.”

 

Displays of confusion greeted her words and one of them was about to question her, but Yoona cut in before she got the chance.

 

“Sorry, girls. I really gotta go,” Yoona smiled apologetically but she’d make it up to them another time. “Unnie’s too lazy to even bring an umbrella. She said the occurrence of rain in summer is as rare as… uh, I forgot. Anyway, gotta go!”

 

Yoona waved a quick goodbye as she left the bewildered girls, and before she exited the classroom, shouted a loud bye to the boys as well.

 

Summer rain was a rare occurrence.

 

Fishing her phone out of her pocket, Yoona sent a text to Jessica.

 

***

 

 

Jessica looked out of the windows at the far end of the classroom, positive that it was summer.

 

What the hell was up with this rain cloud choked sky then?

 

Her phone silently vibrated in her pocket with surprising intensity. It was such occasions that she was grateful for her old teacher that was rather visually impaired. She took out her phone stealthily. Yoona, the screen said.

 

Hey hey hey~ unnie~~ See the clouds? Hehehehe. Are you dying in school yet?

 

Jessica rolled her eyes at the cheeky tone that was present even over text; it was so Yoona, and really, she conceded, cute.

 

Yes. I believe they will drift away, no rain! Besides, how many times have I told you, school’s fine. I’m surviving very well.

 

A speedy response lit up her screen.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter