t h r e e

Keep On Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up and felt that I was being carried. I blinked a couple of times to readjust my vision and looked up to see Lay. All of a sudden I felt aware of the touch, of his hand under my thighs and another one on my back. I gasped, terrified.

‘Um… L-Lay… you can put me down.’ I murmured stammering. He looked at me and smiled gently.

‘Not until you ask properly.’ His smile widened and his eyes didn’t leave mine. I closed my eyes for a second and then thought how I should ask so that it would be in a proper way.

‘Please, put me down…’ I smiled cutely, but he didn’t react. ‘Lay!’ I raised my voice a bit, but he just frowned slightly at me. What am I supposed to say? I asked politely and it didn’t work. Then it clicked. Should I really call him oppa? ‘Lay… oppa.’ I glanced at him and he just chuckled, but put me down. I shook my head in disapproval; it’s really funny that such stupid gestures can mean so much to him. Nevertheless, I dusted off my jeans and bowed slightly. ‘Thanks.’ I turned and started walking in the direction of my room.

‘Ungrateful brat!’ I heard Lay and he caught up to me. ‘Do you have anything to drink in your room?’ He put his hands in the pockets and walked with me. I shot him a questioning look. What is he trying to do? As far as I know, we aren’t allowed to stay in one another’s rooms.

‘What? Why are you asking?’ I furrowed my brows and observed his facial expression. He was relaxed and somehow happy. I felt at ease as well and that’s all thanks to him. But right now, also because of him, I felt nervous and my stomach was living its own life.

‘I just wanna know. You don’t invite people over when you have nothing to eat or drink, you know.’ He said casually and I started choking on my own saliva. Was he serious? I straightened up and stopped walking, staring at him. His eyes were glimmering and he sent me an amused look.

‘It’s forbidden… to visit other people’s rooms… especially when it’s the opposite .’ I murmured, looking down. I heard him chuckle and then it became louder. His chuckle was replaced with a wholehearted laughter. He placed his palm on the abdomen and looked at me once again. ‘What?’ I raised an eyebrow at him.

‘Especially when it’s the opposite …’ He mimicked. ‘Are you afraid I’d do something inappropriate?’ He burst out laughing again. I was so embarrassed, my cheeks were probably dark red and I wanted to hide in my room. I will probably avoid Lay for the rest of my life.

‘No! No! That’s not what was on my mind, you !’ I shook my head and waved my hands in defence, but it was too late. I looked at laughing Lay and couldn’t help but laugh along with him. Then we heard someone clear his throat.

‘Can’t you be quieter?’ I heard Baekhyun’s voice and trembled. I looked at his annoyed facial expression; his eyes were glued to me and I felt guilty, even though I knew I didn’t do anything wrong.

‘Uh… yeah.’ I mumbled and wanted to pass by him, but he stood in front of me, blocking the passageway.

‘Can’t you sing as loud as you’re now screaming with Lay?’ He furrowed his brows at me. Lay looked at me surprised, but didn’t say anything. I have no idea what I did to him that he’s treating me like this. If he’s got some issues with me being around him, then okay, I can avoid him. I can even ask Lay to help me with singing. Baekhyun, now officially, lost the first place on my bias list.

‘I’ll try.’ I managed to say. ‘Um… Lay, I’ve got a question.’ I turned to Yixing, who was now giving me a questioning look.

‘Yes, Meili?’ He spoke. I heaved a sigh and got myself to say what was on my mind.

‘Do you… do you have time to practise with me not only dancing but also singing? That way Baekhyun would be free…’ I smiled weakly. This would be the best option for everyone. Baekhyun would be off the hook and I wouldn’t have to listen to his insults.

‘No!’

‘Yes, sure.’ I heard both of them say. I looked at Lay, who was now as dumbfounded as I. I raised an eyebrow in disbelief and looked at Baek, who was as surprised by his words as both Lay and I.

‘I mean… even if I wanted, this won’t do, cause the company wants me to keep the puppy image. Next week they’re gonna announce that I’m such a good person that I’m even helping SM trainees.’ He said plainly and turned to walk away.

‘I wouldn’t tell anyone. I’d tell everybody that you’re helping me. Isn’t that a perfect plan for you?’ I asked. There was something in the air, that made me nervous. I felt like Baek would turn to face me and say something that could kill me. I know, I’m overreacting (again) but after I’ve spent so much time with him, I still haven’t mastered interacting with him, and what’s more, I still don’t understand him.

‘No.’ Was the only word he said before walking away. I stood there, unable to make any sound. Was I really stuck with him? I thought that he’d at least thank me, I tried to free him from my annoying presence and he just refused.

‘Soo… do you have anything to eat?’ Lay came closer. I was still staring at the spot where Baek was standing two seconds ago. What’s wrong with him? I wonder if he acts like this when around EXO and other people. Maybe it’s just a matter of feeling superior, I wondered. ‘Meili, food… your room…’ Lay repeated and I finally woke up from my daydreaming.

‘Oh… I don’t think so… only like a hundred water bottles.’ I smiled at him and brushed off the topic of Baekhyun. Yixing nodded and both of us headed to my room.

 

‘Wow the room’s pretty comfy.’ He commented when we entered the room and I sat loudly on my bed, whereas he sat on the mini sofa in the corner. We spent like this a minute or two, just staring at random objects, not bothering to start a proper conversation. It wasn’t awkward though, with him everything seemed natural and relaxing. I could practise dancing with him for a whole day and it would be fun, I would sweat like a pig, but I wouldn’t mind at all, cause I know that Lay’s my friend and he’s not the kind of person who would dislike you on the basis of your smell. What’s more, he’s a dancer himself so he knows that a good practise is a sweaty practise.

‘So are you ready for the first performance?’ He asked and I didn’t know what he meant.

‘Hm? I don’t have anything established yet.’ I smiled and took two bottles, handing him one. He took it and smiled in thanks.

‘You heard Baekhyun talk about the next week happenings?’ He asked and I nodded. ‘Every trainee has to perform at least once a month in the main SM building. It’s just to check if one’s improved his skills or not.’ He explained. ‘It’s only for the main choreographers and staff that’s responsible for choosing rookies to be in a band or any other career path. If they think you’re ready, they’re gonna pick you and you start your official career.’ He smiled again and took a sip of water. I needed a second to understand what he just said and accept that I have only one week till I’m somehow examined.

‘But there’s only one week left.’ I panicked.

‘Yeah, I’m pretty surprised you haven’t done that before, because you’ve been here for a while now.’ He’s got a point here. It’s already two months and they didn’t bother me with any performances and let me practise in peace.

‘Oh…’ I murmured, not knowing what else to say. It wasn’t very eloquent of me, but I didn’t mind, Lay didn’t seem to mind either.

‘Are you tired? You look somehow pale.’ He stared at me. I got pale because of Baekhyun, who’s weird. He scares me, but at the same time I want to spend more time with him, hoping that maybe he’s a nice person deep down and all of his actions toward me are just acting. That’s why I feel disappointed after every singing practise with him, because he stays the same.

‘Yeah, kind of, I suppose. I should go to sleep.’ I smiled weakly at him. Yi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter