o n e

Keep On Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Thank you for coming and taking part in my video.’ I bid goodbye to everyone who came and sacrificed their time to help me. I really needed all those people in my video. They were acting as a crowd, maybe you have expected something more sophisticated, sorry for disappointing you, they were the crowd in my video. It was a cover of 寶貝(In the Day) by 張懸 (Deserts Chang). After everybody left, I sat loudly on the couch and sighed heavily.

‘I finally have everything I need to edit the video.’ I smiled at Dan and Ellie, my best friends.

‘Um… we need to tell you something.’ Ellie stared at me. I nodded, slowly closing my eyes and leaning back on the couch. Must not fall asleep – I repeated in my head as I felt my breath stabilising and my whole body becoming heavy.

‘I… we, together with Dan, we sent a video of your singing to SM Entertainment.’ She stated and then covered her face with a pillow, using it as a shield. I quickly stood up and glared at them in disbelief.

‘You did what?’ I didn’t believe they did it for real. Maybe they’re just messing around, but no – their faces were so serious, I couldn’t doubt that they indeed did it.

‘We… sent your video to SM.’ Dan repeated what Ellie said a couple of seconds earlier. I blinked slowly, averting my gaze from them and focusing on my phone.

‘B-but… they haven’t called me. When did you send it?’ I asked. Now they have to tell me everything.

‘Three days ago. Maybe you just have to wait a few days?’ Dan smiled at me, relieved that I didn’t make a fuss about their sending the video.

‘Which one? Which video?’ I frowned. Oh please, not anything in Korean, cause I don’t feel that comfortable speaking Korean. Although my father is Korean I’m more fluent in Chinese, because of my mother, than in Korean. My family is a perfect example of melting pot, that is so often used in the US. My dad is Korean, my mum Taiwanese and we live in San Francisco, California. Theoretically I should be able to speak three languages and I am, I just make some stupid mistakes when it comes to Korean and then the whole family is poking fun at me for the rest of the meeting. It’s called love I suppose.

‘Dirty Paws by Of Monsters And Men.’ Ellie spoke. Well, at least they didn’t pick a bad song. SM hasn’t called me, cause I’m just not talented enough, that’s simple. I could live without being famous, it’s okay to have a small audience on my youtube channel. It’s really heart-warming that there are people who support my channel and always send me messages, telling me how they love my voice. What a pity SM doesn’t like it.

 

***

 

I was sitting in the cafeteria, munching on my sandwich, thinking about the English test I had ten minutes ago. It was pretty easy, I had some problems with naming more than three of Shakespeare’s plays, but generally I was satisfied. Could have been worse, right?

‘Meili, bad news.’ I heard Dan’s whisper. I raised an eyebrow at him wanting to know what happened.

‘Jay has a girlfriend.’ He patted me on the shoulder. My crush had a girlfriend and I couldn’t do anything about it. He was popular and I wasn’t THAT popular. I mean, I’ve never had problems with befriending people and I think I’m a cheerful person, but well I’m not a hot, blond cheerleader. Dang it. But well, I have twelve boyfriends in Korea, they  don’t know about my existence and probably never will. But hey, I’m not complaining, I know that I’m alone at the moment, just to find a proper guy in a while. I just need to wait a bit longer.

‘Stop spacing out, your phone is vibrating.’ Ellie waved her hand in front of my face and then, when I finally snapped out of my daydreaming, she leaned back and again put her hand on Dan’s palm. Yup, they’re dating and I’m like a third wheel, but I suppose they don’t mind. At least they’ve never complained.

I looked at the screen and the number was private. Probably some bank offer. I picked it up just to hear Korean.

‘Ah, yes, it’s Lee Meili. Ah, yes, I’m half Taiwanese, half Korean. Yes, currently living in the United States.’ I started bowing unconsciously. I’m too Asian I guess. ‘From SM?!’ I almost squeaked. The couple looked at me and they started grinning creepily. ‘Ah, yes, I will. Thank you. I will. Ok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter