09

[Series] Let time decides

 

"Junho-ya." 

"Yes?" Junho turned his back to see his older sister and a baby in her arms, his niece. 

"Can you please babysit Eunmi?" his *noona asked, rocking her baby softly. Junho chuckled. (noona = male calls older female, older sister)

"What? Noona can't be serious, right? I'm not used to take care of baby." Lee Hyoyeon showed her serious expression. She wasn't kidding. Junho's face turned into scowl. 

"Noona! I have meeting with friend later!" 

"Help your noona please! Urgent thing came up. Omma is not around too..." Hyoyeon pleaded. She immediately passed Eunmi to Junho. "I've left a note on the fridge wall with "when is the time to feed her milk", "bath, sleep and play time" and everything was there.”

“Thanks Junho.” Hyoyeon kissed his cheek and Eunmi's cheek before leaving. 

"Tch, noona surely really prepared everything..." Junho mumbled. "Eunmi ah, today *Samchon babysit you okay?" And the baby replied with happy laugh. Junho took out his phone and texted someone. (Samchon = uncle)

Hey, can we just do the report at my house? I have to babysit my niece... -Lee Junho

Less than a minute, a text came in as reply.

Sure! Give me your address! ^^ -Kim Nana

Door ring was heard. It was Kim Nana. The door was opened, revealing Junho with Eunmi in his arms. 

"Hi!" Nana greeted with a wide smile. 

"Hi, come in..." 

"Thank you..." she said. 

"Your niece is so cute! Can I hold her?" Nana's face was bright and cheerful. She blinked cutely. Junho smiled. 

"Sure..." and he passed Eunmi to Nana. Nana was about to say something but- 

"Her name is Eunmi and she is 7 months." 

"Wow how do you know I was going to ask that?" she looked him in amaze. Junho ruffled her hair and said, 

"Your body language told me." He smiled and left to upstairs. Nana laughed and looked at Eunmi. 

"I know your samchon was just kidding." 

 

"I hope Eunmi's presence doesn't bother you..." Junho said worriedly. Eunmi was seated in baby walker and she was playing by herself under Junho's and Nana's monitor. 

"It's okay. She doesn't bother us though...yet." Nana chuckled. "Let's finish these reports as soon as possible." 
30 minutes passed without any disturbance from Eunmi. Junho would sometimes play with her. Nana too. But exactly a minute afterward, Junho took her into his arms and rocked her softly because she was crying. 

"I think she's hungry," Nana said and smiled to Eunmi. "Are you hungry?" she said in babyish tone. 

"Abababa," Eunmi mumbled in her baby language but still crying. 

"Can you hold her? I want to make some milk." Junho said, passing Eunmi to Nana. Junho made the milk following the instruction given by his noona. 

"Here we go-" Junho was about to feed her. 

"Wait a minute," Nana stopped him. "Have you tested the milk?" 

Junho looked at her in confusion. 

"Don't you ever see what mother usually does before feeding baby with formula? Your noona for example?" Junho shook his head blankly. Nana rolled her eyes. "No wonder."

She put Eunmi on her laps, taking the formula bottle from Junho. She poured some on her back hand before giving Eunmi the formula. 
The way she did all those makes me remember someone...Clearly that someone.... Junho thought. 

 

Flashback

They were 9 years old at that time. Nana was told to take care of her little brother who was in baby stroller while her mother was cooking. Junho was always coming over to her house. So, he was beside Nana, playing with little Kim Eunjo. 

He even played peek-a-boo with him and Eunjo laughed happily. Out of sudden, Eunjo started to make noise and then cried, and Junho went panic.

Nana laughed looking at him. She ran to kitchen and back with a bottle of formula milk. She lifted up her little brother and put on her laps. 

Junho who was told to hold the bottle, wanted to feed Eunjo but she stopped him and told that he needed to do it in right way. 

End flashback

 

The way Nana did to Eunmi was the same with his Nana. Is she my Kim Nana? This is not the first time…but...
Shoving the thought, Junho smiled looking at Nana feeding her niece. 

“You look like a mother,” he complimented her. “You handle baby well.”

“Aw, thanks Junho. When I was little, I used to take care babies. So, I'm used to baby a bit. I love kids a lot. I always wanted to have my own kids but my mother said I'm still too young for that." 

Junho chuckled and ruffled her hair. "You're really an ambitious future mother. You'll make a great mom to be honest." 

"Ey, do you always say like this to girls out there?" Nana asked, wiggling her eyebrows. 

"Um...no..." 

"Don't lie. Words like these are men’s sweet talk," she had sly smirk on her face. Junho blinked innocently, confused about what Nana told him.

Frankly, he really didn't understand. 

"Men’s sweet talk? I don't understand. I barely talk to girls, so I-" 

"So, the rumors were true?! Wow unexpected," Nana said in surprise. 

"What rumors?!" Junho immediately asked. Nana laughed hysterically but thinking of Eunmi, she slowed down. 

“What is it? Tell me!” He was frustrated. 

“Come closer.” And Junho did. “Rumors saying that you're a gay.” Nana continued to laugh. Junho's face was frozen. 

"WHER-" 

"Shhh...Eunmi is sleeping!" She whispered. 

"Where did you hear this? I'm not a gay. I just don't talk to girls!" 

"What about me? You think me as a boy?" They had whisper battle right now. 

"No, I think you as a girl of course. How can I think you as a boy? You don't even fit to be a boy." 

Nana scoffed. "That doesn't mean that you're not a gay." 

"I'm not! Why you're insisting that I'm a gay?" 

"Then, why you're insisting on telling me that you're not?!" 

"Because I like you!" 

"You...what?" Nana's eyes widened. Junho sighed. His secret was no longer a secret. 

"Because I like you."

Confession was done but they had yet recognize each other. But that didn’t really matter. Because the really matter was the present time. But however, would they able to recognize each other as they were childhood friends before? Let time decided.