Quatre

The Sparliest of Gifts

SeKai: どうして君を好きになってしまったんだろう/ Why did I fall in love with you?


“Sehun, let me feel you up.”

The comment got Sehun to finally turn away from the TV screen as he stared, wide eyed, at his best friend.

“W-what the did you just say?”

“Let me feel you up.” Kai repeated, getting up from chair and plopping down on the couch, next to Sehun, failing to ignore the younger’s crimson red cheeks. “I haven’t touched anyone in two weeks, ever since Lay broke up with me.” He proceeded to lift up Sehun’s shirt, who immediately slapped his hand away.

“First of all, it’s only called ‘feeling up’ when you do it to a girl. And second of all, two weeks isn’t that much of a long time. So…NO.” Sehun said in an annoyed tone, before turning back his attention to the movie he had been watching.

“Well, you’re basically a girl since you don’t even remove your shirt in public. Like, ever.” Kai said, rolling his eyes. “And I’m gay, so guy abs are basically like s to me. PLEASE, Sehun. I’m tired of ing, there’s only a certain level of forever alone a guy can take.”

“You’d still have been with Lay if you weren’t such a addict.” Sehun said, switching off the television. “You know, you should really try to commit to a relationship for a while. Like, instead of always looking at your partner’s pants and wonder about how you’re gonna get them off, look at their heart and think about what really lies in there.” Sehun smiled a bit as he saw Kai stare off, as if he was really contemplating on his ways. That was, till he opened his mouth;

“So, is that a yes or no?” Sehun took a pillow lying on the ground and hit Kai with it. The boy cried out and angrily looked at Sehun, rubbing his cheek.

“That hurt!”

“Serves you right,” Sehun said, sticking out his tongue. “For being such a biscuit.”

“Whatever,” Kai said, picking up his backpack from Sehun’s bed. “I’m gonna go and see if Jongdae wants to go out for a drink…since my best friend is too much of a to even sip beer.”

“It’s called caring for your liver,” Sehun said as a matter of factly. “Bye, then!”

“Bye.”Kai answered, before shutting the door on the way out.

 


 

“Seriously?” Sehun asked, before taking another sip of his chocolate bubble tea. “I can’t believe it. You’re in another relationship already?”

“Yup,” Kai said, grinning widely. “His name’s Kyungsoo, and boy is he fine.”

“What if he doesn’t want to do it with you soon enough?” Sehun questioned teasingly, wiggling his eyebrows. Kai just smirked.

“We already did it.”

“Wha…? But you said you only met him yesterday?”

“Yeah. I met him at the bar and we were both pretty drunk, so….I guess one thing led to another, and then next day we were both lying next to each other, stark . And then as soon as he was getting ready to leave, I asked him if he’d be my boyfriend, and at that he replied saying that he was only interested in , and I was like ‘me too!’ and then we just got together.”

“Wow.” Sehun said, setting his bubble tea down. “How romantic.”

“I know right?” Kai then glanced down at his watch. “Oh, I got to go, I have a date with Kyungsoo.”

“Kai, going to your boyfriend’s house and having is not a date.”

“Maybe not for you,” Kai said, grabbing Sehun’s cup and taking a swig before setting it down. “But for someone as as me and Kyungsoo, it’s the best date ever.”

Sehun just rolled his eyes.

Why was Kai his best friend again?

Could it be the fact that he had been hopelessly in love with the guy since ninth grade and that he had no balls to confess so he tried to be pretty happy with only being a friend?

No, that wasn’t it.

Not even close.

And it was hard too, being in love with your best friend, who only liked to talk about the different people he hooked up with.

 


 

“Oh Sehun.”

The stern tone snapped the boy out of his reverie and he looked up to see where the comment had come from. He widened as his eyes came in contact with a very angry face staring at him.

 


“You again? What happened Sehun? I thought you were a teacher’s pet.” Sehun just shrugged as he handed his detention slip to the teacher and quietly shuffled into the classroom, sliding into a seat next to a rather irritated looking boy. He wasn’t supposed to be here, but lately every teacher seemed to send him to detention. He knew it wasn’t their fault though, because he was the one who was zoning out during all their lectures. He couldn’t help it…the truth was that he was worried about Kai and Kyungsoo’s relationship. And the reason he was worried was not that the relationship was breaking, but that it was becoming stronger. For some reason, Kai always seemed to be with Kyungsoo now, not only for . He was falling in love with the boy.

He’s bound to realize sooner or later, Sehun glumly thought. He’ll think about why this particular relationship of his is lasting longer than the others and then he’ll realize that he’s in love with Kyungsoo and then he’ll confess and then they’ll both marry and live happily ever after.

Sehun knew that he was supposed to be happy for his friend, but he couldn’t be.

This was harder then hearing Kai talk about his hook ups.

 


 

He didn’t know how right he had been.

“Thanks for coming, Sehun.” Kai hugged the younger, grinning from ear to ear. “It’s really awesome you could make it, with your studies and projects and what not.”

“Well, you were my best friend before my decision to become a lawyer, so there was no way I was going to miss your e-“ He struggled to say the word, but seeing Kai raise an eyebrow at the pause, Sehun continued. “engagement. Congratulations, Kai.”

“I didn’t believe that I could ever fall in love.” Kai said in disbelief. “Me! Like seriously!” He laughed, the same laugh Sehun had fallen in love with years ago.

“But I am glad I could fall in love. And I’m glad that Kyungsoo fell in love with me too.” Kai’s eyes went over to his fiancé standing on the other side of the room and he smiled. “Five years together and now we’re getting married. I’m glad too. I don’t ever want to be separated from him.”

“Right.” Sehun struggled to speak. “I’m sure, Kai. You’ll always be together.” Kai looked over at his friend and lightly patted Sehun’s shoulder.

“Anyway, I have to go and talk to Kyungsoo, so you just get comfortable and grab Hors d'oeuvres or something from the table.” Kai leaned closer, and winked at Sehun. “And maybe if you’re lucky, you can get with someone from here. That guy, over there,” Kai pointed to a rather cute boy standing in the corner. “He’s been eyeing you for quite some time. His name’s Luhan and he’s Kyungsoo’s best friend. Imagine if you get with him…my best friend with Kyungsoo’s. How cool would that be?!”

“Very cool.” Sehun said. “Now go, Kyungsoo will be looking for you.” Kai nodded, and with a wave, was off. Sehun wiped off a tear and looked down at his wine glass, before taking it down whole. He saw Luhan’s, who indeed had been eyeing him, eyes widen, but he didn’t care.

All this wouldn’t have happened if he had just let Kai ‘feel him up’ on that day. He would never have gone to that bar, he would’ve never have gotten drunk and he would’ve never have met Kyungsoo.

Stupid me. Sehun thought. I was so intent on making Kai fall in love with me and then I was going to let him do things only when we got together. Sehun kept his glass on the nearby table and started walking toward Luhan. He desperately needed to get these feelings off his chest and the only way he could was a one night stand.

I was so intent, that I didn't even realize, Sehun waved a hand at Luhan, who waved back, smiling widely. The smile didn’t change anything though.

Kai could never love someone like me.

 


 

I'm sorry, Sparlie!!! I know you wanted SeKai, but I made it sad SeKai instead Idk I just started typing and then...bam! This crap comes up!

I did spend a lot of time on it, so I really hope you liked it. 

Oh, the reason the title's Japanese is because the inspiration of this fic was a song called that, and that song was in Japanese...so yeah. I'm obsessed with it right now. It's by DBSK. :D

You should check it out, it's pretty darn good.

(HunHan in the next chapter!)

Happy Birthday! ^_^