Variety to Reality

✤Amazons✤ | 아마조네스

 

“Yah, Baek Nayoung, lower your voice!” Jungah pressed.

“Come here” Nayoung fumed, grabbing Daeseok’s arm and dragging him to a room that was empty.

 

“What the hell are you doing here and what do you want!? Who even let you in?” Nayoung asked, getting straight to the point.

“Look Nayoung, I found out you were going to be here by looking at the schedule that’s posted on Amazons website. There was no other way to meet you so I thought I would just come here to see you myself” Daeseok explained.

“Yeah, that doesn’t sound creepy in the slightest, but guess what Daeseok? I don’t want to see you, so get lost!” she spat, turning around towards the door “Wait!” Daeseok called, holding onto her shoulder.

“hands off!” she ordered. He nodded and put his hand down. “Nayoung, can we please talk? I can’t just let you leave me like this. After all those years of being friends and dating? How can you leave me this easily!?” Daeseok asked, sorrowfully.

Not a hint of pity was on Nayoung’s face, she just shook her head at him “Daeseok, it’s over. You know what will happen if I forgive you? You’ll act like a good boyfriend for a month tops and then once something doesn’t go your way you’ll probably throw another object on the floor in anger. I’m so sick of your tricks!” she raged.

“Nayoung, I promise that won’t happen anymore. Please, just give me another chance!” he begged, taking her hand. “Don’t waste your breath,  it’s never going to happen” she spat, pulling her hand away and leaving the room.

Daeseok’s hands clenched in anger and frustration. He desperately  wanted Nayoung to forgive him, and not for the CEO’s plan, but because he missed her. He told himself that he wouldn’t help the CEO anymore if she forgave him, but since she didn’t, his thoughts were only filled with negativity.

 

Meanwhile, Youngmi was at the grocery store since their fridge had quickly become empty and it was her turn to go shopping. She looked at the long list the girl’s had left with her “fatties” she mumbled under her breath “although half of this list were written by me” she chuckled.

After running around the store a few times she had finally managed to get all of the items. She smiled and made her way towards the checkout. That was until she spotted someone. “Is that…Taekwoon?” she grinned. She quickly walked over to him, leaving her cart behind.

“Taekwoon-ah, you’re here grocery shopping too?” Youngmi smiled. But he just looked at her with a frustrated expression on his face. He quickly took her arm and pulled her in an isle where nobody could see them.

“What the heck is wrong with you?” Youngmi asked confused. “I should be asking you that question. We’re out here in public and you’re coming up to talk to me… People could misunderstand. Don’t you know, being an idol yourself?” he asked.

“Uhmm… I never knew you cared so much about your image... I also never knew talking to someone in a grocery store could result in dating rumors” Youngmi laughed.

“Well, they can. People jump to conclusions quickly in this industry” he explained. “Why do you always come up to talk to me anyways?” he questioned, a little frusterated.

“Because, I like you” Youngmi said without hesitation, shocking him. “W-what? How can you can say that so easily?” he asked, scratching the back of his head, embarrassed. “Yeah, sorry I don’t really play hard to get. If I like someone I show it, end of story. But if it bothers you so much, then I’ll stop. There’s lots cute guys in this industry anyways” Youngmi smiled and bowed before she walked away.

“I- I didn’t mean it that way” Taekwoon muttered in regret.

He was so taken aback by Youngmi’s character. It was as if she came from a completely different planet. Deep inside, he liked Youngmi always comfortably talking to him, but it was just something he wasn’t use to. He wanted to be friends with her but, he just didn’t know how to talk to her… and maybe that was because he secretly liked her too.

 

“Aish, where did my cart go!” Youngmi whined. “Crap, now I gotta do this all over again” Youngmi groaned as she went to go grab another cart.

 

“Youngmi-ah, I know you’re not shy in the slightest and you’ll have no problem on this show but please, don’t over do it” Jungah begged. “What do you mean? Isn’t this show supposed to be funny” Youngmi asked innocently. “Yeah, but…”

“What? Are you worried I’m going to flirt with all of the guys there?" Youngmi laughed. "Unnie, don’t worry, I would never do such a thing” Youngmi calmed making Jungah let out a sigh of relief “Well, unless they're hot” Youngmi smirked.

“Youngmi! Remember, you only get one partner on this show, not five!” Jungah scolded. “only one? But what if I get bored with him? cant I choose another one then? I saw this show online, you can’t trick me” Youngmi laughed. “What, is the CEO still set on making our image seem innocent while we have a y concept?” Youngmi asked, rolling her eyes.

“No, that’s not it. It’s just that, as your manager, I’m supposed to limit the amount of antis you have” Jungah revealed. “Antis is something you’re bound to have no matter who you are, so why bother?” Youngmi shrugged.

“The show will be starting soon, we need all cast members on set” one of the staffs told the two. They both nodded in understanding before the person left.

“Well, either way, I bet all these guys will be ugly so you don’t even have to worry” Youngmi consoled, making Jungah laugh “I sure hope so.”

 

Youngmi walked onto the set, while Jungah stayed behind the cameras. She greeted and introduced herself to the female idols who were already standing there.

“Hello I’m Melody from Amazons, but my real name is Youngmi” she bowed. “Ahh…Amazons! I love your song” a girl with dark brown hair said “I’m Nine Muses' Kyungri” she introduced. “and I’m Crayon pop’s Ellin” a girl sitting beside her greeted.

“Is it your first time on this show?” Youngmi asked the two girls. “Yeah, I really have never been on a show like this before so I’m kind of nervous” Kyungri confessed. “What if the male idols are all not good looking?” Youngmi worried, making the two girl’s laugh. “You have to act like you’re interested in them just for mere entertainment purposes” Ellin sighed.

"I really can't do that though. I'm an open book" Youngmi confessed. "My CEO is seriously an idiot for putting me on a show like this" Youngmi added, making the girl's laugh more. "Wow, you really are an open book, i like you" Ellin smiled. "thanks, i get that a lot" Youngmi joked.

"You know my manager already told me who to like before hand" Ellin confessed. "Wow, really? Who?" Youngmi asked. "Vixx's N. She said it'll add drama to the show since there's another female idol here who actually has a thing for him..." Ellin explained quietly so no one could hear her. 

"I feel under prepared now" Youngmi fretted.

 The girl's continued to chat together until suddenly the male idols finally came on set.

 

“Youngmi?” someone called. She quickly turned her head in the person's direction and her eyes widened in surrpise.

“Taekwoon- I mean Leo, who would have thought!” she exclaimed, beginning to laugh.

Taekwoon stood there shocked by her unexpected appearance. His fellow member, Hakyeon, was also there with him and had to pinch his arm to get him back to reality. “Taekwoon-ah, over here” he said, pulling him into his seat.

“You know him? Do you two have a thing going on?” Kyungri asked curiously. “Haha, no, not at all. He just goes to my company sometimes for vocal training, that’s all” Youngmi explained, and although she was telling the truth, it felt like a lie to her.

“Does he like you? He can’t seem to get his eyes off of you!” Ellin laughed. “Really? That’s strange, he doesn’t want anything to do with me” Youngmi confessed “this should be interesting though” Youngmi smiled.

"What do you mean he doesn't want anything to do with you? Is he mean?" Ellin asked. "No, at least i don't think so... he's just really shy and well...soon you'll find out that i'm the complete opposite." Youngmi explained.

 

Filming finally began and and it took about an hour just to shoot each of the cast members introductions, as well as their personal talent segments. Youngmi decided to do a free style rap in English since the company wanted her to show off her english skills. Although Youngmi couldn’t bring herself to purposely do stupid these for sake of entertainment, her very direct character made people laugh and that made her feel incredibly satisfied.

“Youngmi-ssi, out of these idols, who captures your eyes the most?” one of the MC's suddenly asked her.

It didn't even take a second for her to reply “The one over there” she grinned, pointing directly at a shy Taekwoon.

“You seem to have decided beforehand” the MC chuckled in surprise. “I know what I like” Youngmi replied, making everyone laugh.

 

When it came time for Youngmi to choose her partner, she was nervous that no one would kneel in front of her. She slowly turned around in her seat and was surprised to see 4 people kneel in front of her, one of them being Taekwoon. Youngmi blushed and knew he was only doing it for entertainment purposes. Youngmi pretended to hesitate for a moments before she got up to take the rose from Taekwoon's hands, making them a pair.

Each pair was then forced to do a number of very awkward games. Youngmi, being the fearless person she is, wasn’t the least nervous and was even determined to win all of them. Takewoon on the other hand, looked very indifferent.

The most awkward game was of course the game where you had to pass a small piece of paper only by using your mouth. "Isn't this show rated 12 and over? I think this game is a little too much" Youngmi joked. Taekwoon really didn't seem up for it, but since Youngmi was determined to win, he decided to bare through it. Surprisingly, they were the couple who was able to do it the fasted, making them the winners. After that game, Taekwoon began to loosen up a little. He began to feel safe and relieved that Youngmi was his partner because she was able to add humor to every and any awkward situation. He felt comfortable with her being by his side.

Throughout the whole show the cast laughed at their interactions since they were like oil and water. Even though Taekwoon seemed uncomfortable throughout the show, he ended up choosing Youngmi as his preferred partner, making them one of the few lasting “couples” by the end of the show.

The show finally ended and Youngmi quickly said goodbye to everyone there. She ran over to Jungah so that they could hurry to their next schedule. Taekwoon looked at her regretfully and wanted to talk to her but he couldn’t bring himself to. He just watched her leave the studio in silence.

 

It was the next morning and the girl’s were getting dressed for a performance on M Countdown. They were all half asleep and could barely manage to put on their heels.

“I seriously don’t know how we’re going to wake up and perform for the next 4 days. Why are all these music programs after one another?” Sunhee complained. “Why are they shot so early?” Soojin whined. “Why do they even exist? I mean one is enough. Aren’t their rating’s really low too? What’s the point” Nayoung sighed. “Our CEO just wans to torture us” Youngmi replied.

“You girls sure are annoying today… well come to think of it, you’re always annoying” Jungah commented as she played a game on her tablet.

“Look at her in her track pants and sneakers, totally comfortable and enjoying our pain” Youngmi said, making the girls laugh. “My job is harder than it looks!” Jungah shot back.

“You’re on in five” one of the staffs alerted them. The 4 girl’s got up grumpily and made there way to the side of the stage. “Hey look, it’s Vixx again” Soojin alerted. “Cool” Youngmi replied plainly. “You don’t seem so excited anymore, find someone else to like?” Nayoung asked. “Basically” Youngmi laughed. 

As the members of Vixx began to make there way down the stage stairs, Taekwoon suddenly turned to face Youngmi.

“Youngmi…” he began.

“What is it? Good work yesterday by the way. We put on a good show” Youngmi smiled.

“I wasn’t acting yesterday” he suddenly brought himself to say

“What?” she asked confused.

“I wasn’t putting on a show. I- Ireally like you, Youngmi.”