Say What?

✤Amazons✤ | 아마조네스

 

“Your debut date is in a few days, I hope you girl’s are ready because things are going to start getting really hectic.” Ms. Lee alerted the girl’s who sat in front of her.

“The netizens are already tearing us apart.” Nayoung said, taking out her phone. “What are they saying? I was too scared to look.” Soojin asked.

“You know, the usual shaming.” Nayoung said, unimpressed. “Wow, I’m so surprised!” Sunhee exclaimed, sarcastically.

“Who cares, did you see our MV teaser? We look hot. The netizens can stay pressed.” Youngmi laughed.

“Well I’m happy you girl’s are handling everything well because a day before your debut date you’ll be holding a press conference” Ms. Lee revealed, shocking the girls.

“A press conference? But do reporters even care about us?” Sunhee asked, confused. “Yeah, what kind of reporter would waste their time on us?” Soojin questioned.

“To you girls’ surprise, there is quite a lot of anticipation surrounding your comeback, all thanks to me of course.” Mrs. Lee self praised. “Everyone wants to find out more about the 4 idiots who left their CEO only to go to his sisters company.” Ms. Lee explained, making the girls laugh.

“That’s good to hear, but now I feel really nervous about this press conference.” Sunhee confessed. “Yeah, I feel like something might go wrong. Your brother isn’t going to just sit there and watch, he’s obviously going to take this chance to do something…” Nayoung said.

“You’re right, he will probably do something, but I’m going to try my best to stop it. But still, be prepared for any question to be thrown at you.” Mrs. Lee said, the girl’s nodding unsurely. “By the way, the track list for your album is due today. Have you girl’s chosen the tracks you want yet?” Ms. Lee asked.

“Oh right, I almost forgot.” Sunhee said taking out a USB from her bag and handing it to their CEO. "It includes a track i wrote... you don't have to include it but i just wanted you to hear it."

“Perfect, i'll look it over." Ms. Lee acknowledged. "Everything should be ready then. The conference will be on Friday at 11AM, don’t be late. This is your first public appearance since the lawsuit, don’t mess it up.” Ms. Lee said before leaving.

 

“We’re so screwed. The only good talker's in our group is Nayoung and Youngmi!” Soojin worried.

“Hey, I’m good at talking, right?” Sunhee pouted. “You’re good at talking when you’re angry, not when you’re nervous.” Soojin said.

“What’s the worst that could happen? It’s not like they’ll ask something out of the blue, right?” Nayoung dryly laughed.

“Let’s pray.” Youngmi sighed.

 

It quickly became the day before the press conference and the girls' nerves were beginning to kick in. they had already practiced the day before and decided to leave a day to just relax before things start to get hectic.

“Who you texting?~” Soojin asked as she peaked over Youngmi’s shoulder. She sat on the couch Youngmi was sitting on and gently rested her head on her lap.“That Leo guy, I heard Vixx won first on a music program so I was just congratulating him.” Youngmi revealed “But he only replied me with one word…how boring, and annoying...” Youngmi pouted.

“He seems so shy, maybe you should just leave the kid alone.” Soojin recommended. “All I’m doing is talking to him though?” Youngmi said. "You're right... why does he act like you're harassing him or something... maybe he has social anxiety?" Soojin supposed.

"Hmm... maybe you're right? If that's the case then maybe i really should stop talking to him so suddenly." Youngmi sighed.

“Why are you still chasing after boys anyways? We’re about to debut soon dummy!” Sunhee scolded.

“There she goes again.” The 3 girl’s said in unison. “Sunhee, you berry yourself in that book and don’t mind us.” Nayoung said patting her Unnie on the shoulder.

“Sunhee, can you go get me some orange juice? Soojin is resting on my lap and I don’t want to disturb our precious princess.” Youngmi requested.

“Make the maknae do it!” Sunhee whined. When Nayoung was about to get up, Youngmi shot Nayoung a strange look.

“Bathroom! I need to go so badly!” Nayoung pretended. “Jeez… fine, I’ll go get you it.” Sunhee said, getting up.

“Grab me her phone, quick!” Youngmi ordered Nayoung. Soojin quickly sat up in anticipation. “Unnie, what are you scheming?” Soojin asked as Nayoung handed her the phone and sat beside her.

“I’m going to get this grandma a date.” Youngmi grinned. “ugh I knew it, 5 missed calls from Jongin!” Youngmi said, shaking her head.

“Wow… that guy must really be interested in our grandma. Let’s call him and set them up!” Nayoung chirped.

“Way ahead of you.” Youngmi said as she pressed the call button on Sunhees phone.

 

“Sunhee-ah, I mean Noona, you- you’re actually calling me?” Jongin stuttered.

“Oh boy… you must really like her. Whats your game, huh?” Youngmi asked suspiciously.

“Yah- who is Youngmi talking to, and wait, is that MY phone?” Sunhee put down the orange juice and charged towards Youngmi.

“Give me my phone you thief!” Sunhee yelled, but Youngmi pulled her arm far back out of Sunhee’s reach.

“Yah!” Sunhee yelled.

“Hello? Hello?” Jongin said, confused. He shortly began to laugh as he realized what the situation was.

Youngmi quickly pushed Sunhee off of her and ran into the bathroom, quickly locking the door behind her.

“Ok, finally away from the nut job. Now answer my question, What’s your game?” Youngmi asked.

“I- I don’t know. I… enjoy talking to her and just wanted to meet up with her to repay her favor.” Jongin managed to say.

“Do you have feelings for her? I mean you barely know her so it’s clearly her face you’re attracted to.” Youngmi said.

“Well she is pretty but I swear that’s not the only reason why I’m attracted to her!” Jongin defended.

“So you do like her!" Youngmi said, satisfied. "...okay maybe i do... but like you said, i don't really know her, that's why i want to meet up with her..." Jongin sighed.

"Yeah- yeah, either way, you like her! I can get her to meet with you if you want. This is your last day to make an impression on her, after today we’re debuting, and she’ll have no time to make any knew relationships.” Youngmi explained.

“You can really get her to meet me?” Jongin asked in disbelief. “Don’t underestimate me. When do you get off work?” Youngmi asked. “Uh, whenever she’s free..” Jongin said. He knew he had a late shift today, but he was willing to skip it to meet Sunhee. He was eager to meet her in a way that wasn’t so sudden and short.

“what do you mean whenever? Do you perhaps work late today?” Youngmi questioned. “Yeah, but it doesn’t matter. I can ask Jihoon to take my shift. I’ll wait for her by the park near my restaurant at 9pm.”

“Okay, you better give me free food next time at the restaurant for this. Do you know how hard she’s gonna beat me right now? Gotta go!” Youngmi said before hanging up.

 

Youngmi slowly opened the door and found an angry Sunhee standing in front of her.

“Sunhee, or should I say queen of the universe? Do you want me to give you a massage?” Youngmi smiled.

“You want me to kick your ?!” Sunhee said grabbing her phone back. “Who did you call?” Sunhee asked.

“Uhh… your ex-boyfriend! I wanted to yell at him for what he did to you since you never let me! I had to let it out, okay?” Youngmi made up.

“Eh!? how could you call him? we broke up months ago!” Sunhee yelled.

“I’m sorry. Anyways, I have plans at 9PM, can you drop me off? I would take the car by myself but parking is so annoying in this area!” Youngmi lied.

“Fine, but don’t you ever do this again, got it?” Sunhee scolded.

“Got it sweety! Now let’s go eat lunch.” Youngmi said, changing the subject.

 

“What happened?” Nayoung whispered to Youngmi “Plan get grandma a date is well on track.” Youngmi said, winking to both a curious Nayoung and Soojin. They both giggled in reply.

“What are you 3 losers laughing at?” Sunhee said crossing her arms.

“Uhh… Leo sent Youngmi a text back just saying “okay” to her congratulation-message.” Soojin made up.

“How’d you know he replied like that? Did you look through my phone?” Youngmi asked, surprised. “He seriously replied you with Okay?” Soojin asked, laughing at her lie coming true.

 

“Youngmi-ah, hurry up and get in the car!” Sunhee called.

“Alright, alright!” Youngmi said as she sat in the passengers seat “Why are you in a rush anyway? It’s not like you have any plans, right?” Youngmi asked.

“I want to find out what happens next in this drama I’m watching!” Sunhee said with a distressed expression, making Youngmi laugh. “Wow Unnie, what a dilemma!”  she joked.

 

As Sunhee drove to the park, Youngmi worried about the few ways she could trick Sunhee into getting out of the car. “If I can’t get her out then I will just pull her out myself” she thought, smiling to herself.

“okay, we’re here. Who are you meetng anyway?” Sunhee asked. “Uhh, I’m not meeting anyone actually, I’m just picking up a package…a really big package, I’ll need your help to carry it!” Youngmi made up.

“Eh? You mean I have to get out of this car and move?” Sunhee groaned. “Yeah lazy, just go park at that curb so we can quickly get the package before we get a ticket.” Youngmi ordered.

As soon as Sunhee got out of the car Youngmi held onto her hand tightly. “Why are you holding my hand so tightly?” Sunhee asked suspiciously, “Because, I’m scared. It’s night and all the creepy ajussies are probably out looking for some young girl to look at.” Youngmi cringed. "You're young?" Sunhee joked as she followed Youngmi. "you're one to talk grandma!"

“So what package are you picking up anyway? A TV, a couch? A horse?? What is this big package that I have to help you with?” Sunhee questioned impatiently.

“Uhhh…” Youngmi panicked and started walking faster. She spotted Jongin and smiled in relief. “I can’t wait to see the look on this grandmas face!” she chuckled to herself.

“Noona!” Jongin called.

“Jongin? What the hell, why do I keep running into you?” Sunhee asked, a little creeped out.

“Running into me? Youngmi, she has no clue does she?” Jongin asked worriedly, afraid of the soon angry Sunhee that was going to erupt.

“Well, gotta run!” Youngmi locked Sunhee and jongin’s arm’s together and snatched the keys out of Sunhee’s hands. “Hold on to her tightly! She might rip your arm off though!” Youngmi yelled as she ran away.

“Yah! Kim Youngmi!” Sunhee shouted. She tried to escape but Jongin’s grasp was too tight.

“let go of me, right now.” Sunhee ordered, looking into his eyes. Seeing that Sunhee’s expression was serious, Jongin quickly obeyed her orders.

“Wait!” Jongin called as soon as Sunhee was going to walk away. “Please don’t leave. Can’t we just hang out like friends at least once? Just think of it as me returning a favour.” Jongin requested.

“Look Jongin, you seem like a really cool guy but you should go hang out with people your age. Why would you even want to hang out with a 26 year old? And don’t you have school tomorrow?” Sunhee asked.

“Okay let me clear some things up. I’m not a high school student, I graduated years ago, I’m 22 years old. Why do I want to hang out with a 26 year old? Why does your age have to matter? You just so happened to have saved my job and my main source of income so is it that weird that I want to get to know you?” Jongin let out.

“You’re 22!? You look like a high schooler...Sorry." Sunhee said, rubbing the back of her head. "So does this mean you’re in University or...?”

“No… I can’t afford that right now. I got into an arts university but I couldn’t pay the tuition fee so I’m currently saving up to maybe start next year.”

“Let’s sit down…” Sunhee said, walking to a bench.

“Here, take this.” Jongin said handing her coffee. “You didn’t have to buy me anything, I should be treating you since I’m older…” Sunhee said, embarrassed. “It’s just coffee, don’t worry about it.” he smiled.

“So…I heard you’re debuting soon.” Jongin brought up. “Yeah…after tomorrow the album will be released. I’m excited but really scared at the same time. What if it flops like our last single?” Sunhee worried. “I’ll support you, Noona~” Jongin said cutely, making Sunhee laugh, which gradually made Sunhee’s cheeks turn red. “Don’t do aegyo with me!” Sunhee said, pushing his shoulder lightly. “You wouldn’t expect me to be good at it, right?” Jongin laughed.

“So how long have you been training for?” Jongin asked curiously. “6 years or so… I trained in Thailand for a few years and then came here to try to become a trainee.” Sunhee revealed. 

“Thailand? Why Thailand?” he asked, surprised. “Oh, I grew up there. My mom lives there now… it’s kind of a long story.” Sunhee said, taking a sip from her coffee.

“Can you tell me? I don't mind long stories.” Jongin asked. 

“Well my mom’s first marriage was a failure. She got a divorce when I was 3 years old, which sounds sad but it’s really great because I was too young to care.” Sunhee said. “Then my mom met this Thai guy who was here on a business trip. They fell in love and got married so we eventually moved to Thailand. I was 6 years old so i'm fluent in the language” Sunhee explained.

“That’s so cool! So you left your mom and step dad to come here to pursue your dream? Must be hard...” Jongin sympathized.

“Actually they got a divorce a few years ago” Sunhee revealed.

“Oh… sorry to hear that.” Jongin said, regretfully. “It’s no big deal. It was a mutual agreement. My mom just doesn’t have luck with men.” Sunhee chuckled.

“If they divorced, then why doesn’t she move back?” Jongin asked. “Well because she loves it there. She has a job and really great friends over there.” Sunhee explained.

“You two must be really close… like my mom and I.” Jongin smiled warmly. “Yeah we are… on the topic of it, shouldn’t you get back home? You said your mom can’t rest without you in the house.” Sunhee said, standing up.

“Huh? It’s really alright!” Jongin reassured. 

“No, no. go to her, I’ll feel bad if you don’t.” Sunhee insisted.

“Alright but… will I see you again?” Jongin asked worriedly.

Sunhee hesitated for a moment. She didn’t know what she was getting herself into befriending this boy, but at the same time, she couldn’t come up with a good enough reason to reject him anymore. “Sure, if you promise to head to your mom now.” Sunhee said.

“Then I’m off.” Jongin replied happily.

 

 

The morning of the press conference finally arrived and he girl’s were all getting their hair and make up fixed. Although they had prepared months for this, they couldn’t get ride of the butterflies that lay in the pits of their stomachs.

“Okay, if someone is asked an awkward questioned and they stay silent for 2 seconds, what do you do?” Sunhee asked her members.

“Speak up and say something related to the question, but in complete avoidance.” Nayoung replied. “Good.”

“Keep that in mind especially when I get asked a question because I can’t think on the spot at all!” Soojin said worriedly.

 

“Okay girl’s, are you all mic’ed up and ready to go?” Jungah asked.

“Mic’ed up, yes. Ready to go? No.” Soojin answered. “We’ll be fine. Come on, aren’t we supposed to be female warriors not female wussies?” Youngmi encouraged. “Whatever, let’s just get this over with.” Sunhee said, trying to hide her nervousness.

The girl’s all proceeded to walk outside where the press conference would be held. Sunhee led the way and as they walked to their seats, cameras flashed and questions were already beginning to be yelled.

The girl’s all brought the mic’s to their mouths and gave a powerful introduction, just like they practiced in their dorms. They then all proceeded to sit down. Some of the girl's had a poker face on while others gave a forced smile.

Sunhee slowly brought the mic to “Thank you all for coming today and having interest in Amazons. Our debut album will come out tomorrow at 12am, please anticipate it. We’ll now be accepting any questions you have to ask.” She said.

Questions began being asked and they were all the ordinary typical things people ask in interviews, which made the girl’s relieved. But soon that bliss was gone and the girl’s began to receive more difficult questions.

“Why did you girl’s choose this company? Wouldn’t you want to avoid this kind of situation at all costs?” a reporter asked

Youngmi quickly began to speak “At first, yes. We all discussed this offer together seriously several times before we came to a decision. We realized that who the CEO is related to doesn’t really matter in this kind of field, what mattered was the contents of the contract and on that behalf we were very satisfied with it.” The girl’s let out a sigh of relief at Youngmi’s answer, knowing that now they’d be safe from any more questions regarding their decision to join the company.

"How are your feelings on the y concept?" another reporter asked. Soojin decided to answer this question "Well truthfully, we hated it at first, especially me. It was mostly due to the backlash we'd get from it, but we decided to just forget about  peoples opinions and do our best."

The press conference was soon coming to an end and the girl’s were finally on their last and final question. “I have a question!” a reporter called. The reporter had a mischievous look on his face, which made the girl’s feel really creeped out. “I have a question for a specific member, is that okay?” The reporter asked with a smirk.

“Uhh… sure, which one?” Sunhee asked.

“Baek. Na. Young.” The reporter slowly replied, making the girl’s nervous.

“What do you want to ask?” Nayoung said, forcing a kind smile on her face. “I heard that you have a boyfriend, is it true?” the reporter asked, making all of the members hearts drop.

“code red, code red.” Soojin said pinching Sunhee’s thigh from under the table.

“You girl’s look confused. Should I show a picture to get your memory jogging?” the reporter said with a devious smile on his face.

The girl’s all looked at each other and knew that this was it, they were completely screwed and their was no way to get out of it.