Chapter 1

Heart of the Story
Please log in to read the full chapter

Zelo found himself falling to the cold, hard ground in exhaustion. The room was practically spinning as he tried to catch his breath. 

His body was aching, suffering from the abuse inflicted on it.

At this point he was used to it. 

He let out a small whine, feeling a slight pang in his stomach from the lack of food for today. The last time he ate was a small meal several hours ago.

He sighed and closed his eyes, his mind racing so fast that he didn't even hear the door open and close. He didn't hear the sound of slow, familiar footsteps approaching him.

All he could hear was the sound of his own heavy breathing and his fast heart beat.

"Junhong," a deep voice said, causing the boy's eyes to widen as he jumped at the sound.

Zelo quickly sat up. "Hyung," he said in surprise as he watched Yongguk slowly walking towards him.

"Take this," Yongguk said as he handed Zelo a bottle of cold water.

Zelo was now sitting up on the floor, his back pressed against the wall. He was breathing heavily, sweat dripping from every part of his body. He had just spent a suicidal amount of time at the dance studio once again, against his hyungs' disapprovals.

"Thank you," Zelo said as he took the bottle from Yongguk's hand. He unscrewed the cap and quickly brought the bottle to his lips, practically finishing the whole thing in one gulp.

Yongguk sat down next to him. "You know that you should always drink plenty of water when you're practicing," he said. 

Zelo nodded. "I know," he replied, placing his head on Yongguk's shoulder. "I thought you and the others went home already?"

Yongguk nodded. "I did," he said. "But I came back to prevent you from practicing until 3 in the morning again."

That was the partial truth. Of course Yongguk didn't want Zelo to spend a dangerous amount of time practicing again.

But Yongguk didn't want Zelo to be by himself so late at night.

Zelo bit his lip at the statement. "I seriously lost track of time that day," he said in defense, pulling Yongguk from his thoughts. It was always his excuse. Yongguk always saw right through Zelo's defense; they all did. They all knew that the maknae was choosing to push himself unnecessarily all so he could be the best. It hurt them that Zelo couldn't see how great he really was.

"I need to get you home," Yongguk said. "You're done for tonight. No arguments," he added quickly when he saw Zelo open his mouth to say something.

The maknae pouted. 

"We have a day off tomorrow," Yongguk announced. "You should really use that time to get some rest." Yongguk stood up, offering a hand to Zelo to help him up.

Zelo grunted as he grabbed Yongguk's hand and stood up.

"You don't mind taking a cab home, do you?" Yongguk asked. "Manager Kang kind of fell asleep already."

Zelo shook his head. "I don't mind," he replied. 

Yongguk led Zelo out of the building. There are a few fans outside, a few of them squealing in delight as they see the two boys walk out. Yongguk tensed up a bit as some of them started pulling out their phones to take pictures and videos. They walked a few blocks before finally finding a cab. It was no surprise to Yongguk when Zelo started to fall asleep once the vehicle began to move.

"Thanks for coming to get me, Yonggukie Hyung," Zelo sleepily mutters. His eyes are closed as he lets out a yawn.

Yongguk smiles, allowing Zelo to rest his head onto the leader's shoulder. "I'll always come and get you, Junhong," he said quietly. "No need to thank me." Because he just wanted the satisfaction of knowing that his maknae, as well as his other dongsaengs, to be safe and sound.

He turns, scrunching his face in co

Please log in to read the full chapter