5: Leaving Home

Heavens Reflected

A/N: I'm sorry for the wait! >.< I wasn't going to post until tomorrow, but I saw a new subscriber *gasp* and I had to post today :) This isn't edited, please point out any mistakes if you see them!

Idek what even happened to the plot actually hehe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meet me at the airport. –Lu

“That’s it? That’s all he does? He disappears for hours and hours and hours! And this is what we get?” Jongdae flails his arms everywhere.  He nearly misses Minseok, who is barely paying attention. The airport is miles away. He would have to leave that very minute.

“I’ll see you later, Chen.” Jongdae makes to protest, but his friend is already in his car and starting the engine. He sits down on the side of the sidewalk, not sure whether he should be relieved that Lu Han is still okay or worried about what’s coming.

He stares at his hands, shaking and barely visible in the dim streetlight.

“It’s all my fault. It’s all…my…fault.”

~~~~

Lu Han is standing at the edge of the sidewalk that circles around the airport. His hands are in the pockets of his oversized sweater, blue and covered with English words he obviously doesn’t understand. He looks up and smiles painfully. Before Minseok knows what is happening, Lu Han has dragged him inside and pulls out a small rectangular book.

“Lu Han.”

“Yes?”

 “What is that?” Minseok knows exactly what it is.

“Your passport. I can explain-”

“How did you get my passport, Lu Han?”

“Your back door was unlocked. You always hide things in the back of your medicine cabinet. Your passport was under the headache medicine. Come on, Minseok, I’ve known you 15 years.”

The airport is still filled with the mixed murmurs of frustrated travellers. The ceilings are high and the acoustics of the room bounce the voices around into harmonies of agonized words.

“But that’s not the point. The point is that the two of us have to go to China. In two hours. And we have no choice.” Lu Han’s voice is shaky. “You can’t tell anybody. Both of us have to disappear now.”

Minseok shakes his head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t know why you decided to frighten around 30 people who care about you today. But I’m not going to China. That’s crazy. And I think you owe…you owe Sehun an apology.”

“No, Minseok, listen!” Lu Han’s eyes seem to dim at the mention of his boyfriend.

“No, Lu Han, you listen. Police are out looking for you. Your mother is going crazy. Jongdae and the rest of them are crazy worried right now. I don’t know what you think you’re doing, but it’s wrong. Let’s go home now.” Minseok turns to leave, but the shoulder of his jacket is grabbed and jerked backwards. He turns to see Lu Han’s eyes, eyes which used to reflect the heavens but now just scream fear. He stops, short of breath. That’s not right. That’s an image he never wanted to see replaced.

“If we go back home now, both of us will probably get hurt.” Lu Han whispers just loud enough for Minseok to hear him. “Really badly hurt. We need to leave. I’ll explain on the plane. We’re going to my parent’s house.” Minseok never knew Lu Han was Chinese. He must have begun to learn Korean from a very early age.

Minseok follows Lu Han all the way around the airport. He lets him talk to the staff, and hand in the tickets that he bought for them.

Finally, as they exit security, he speaks. “Lu Han? I really think we have to go back. Jongdae is so worried-”

“Jongdae is worried because he thinks that it is his fault that we’re leaving. But it’s mine. I put us in danger and now I have to keep us away from it. Keep going, the gate closes in 10 minutes.”

Minseok decides not to speak again.

They don’t speak a word until the plane has long past taken off. Lu Han takes out his earbuds and begins to explain.

“This is going to be really hard to explain, so please deal with me. What you have to understand first is that my father has a lot of enemies. He’s doesn’t run a very reputable business and he’s committed crimes against many people, like stealing money and whatnot. I’m not proud of him. But a few months ago everyone took it too far. A group of people who had lost millions to my father attempted to break into our house and take me in exchange for the money back. Luckily my parents woke up and stopped them, but my father ended up in a rage and killed two of them with his shotgun. I know it’s hard to believe, but this is why I’ve never mentioned my parents to anybody. This is why I’ve never asked you over to my house, even though you’ve been my best friend for most of my life. Being associated with them is dangerous.”

Minseok hadn’t realized that Lu Han thought of him as his best friend.

“Recently, these people have been making threats again. They’ve been monitoring me at school and my father at work. We don’t know how. We don’t know what they look like. The last few months have been hell. They noticed me talking to Jongdae once, and contacted him pretending to be my close friend. They asked him who I was closest to at school, and of course he said you,  as you are my best friend. And now they want to get both of us. They believe they will also be able to get money out of your parents as well as mine, and that the guilt of putting two children in danger will be enough to get my father to pay them.”

“Wow.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know how to tell you.”

“What are we supposed to do now?” Minseok tries to hold in the panic in his chest. He’s never been to China. Heck, he’s never been out of South Korea. He doesn’t know a single person in China. China is…not for him. No.

But now he has no choice.

“We’re going to visit my parents. In Beijing.”

“I still can’t get over the fact that you’re Chinese.”

“I was born there, but I moved here to live with…I moved to Korea because of several unforeseen circumstances. In fact, I met you the second week I was here. We were three, remember?” Minseok doesn’t. “But that’s not the point. My parents will keep us for a few weeks. Hopefully nobody will come looking for us there and we’ll be able to go back. I know it’s a lot to take in. I know it sounds crazy, and impossible, and like something out of the movies, but you have to believe me.”

“I do. But Lu Han, that’s weeks of school missed. That’s weeks of life missed. And how are we supposed to contact people back in Korea?”

Lu Han looks dejected. “We can’t. Any messages sent will be tracked.”

“But- what about our friends? My parents? They’ll be worried as heck! They won’t be able to sleep at night not knowing where we are. It’s too cruel not to contact them.”

Lu Han sighs. “Okay, you win. When we get there, we’ll call your parents and Jongdae. That’s it.” Minseok feels slightly better.

“Thank you.”

They sit in silence for another few minutes, staring at the seat in front of them or out the window. Minseok wishes he knew the exact moment that they crossed over to China, to see if he felt any different.

“Lu Han?”

“Mmmhm?”

“What’s China like?”

Lu Han’s face lights up. “Oh, you’ll love it. China is amazing! The cities are busy but the countryside is beautiful. My parents will love you because you’re so nice. They’ll give us lots of good Chinese food!” His eyes wander off happily, and then widen as he realized something. “Wow. That’s strange.”

“What’s strange?”

“I haven’t seen my parents in 15 years. Not even on Chinese New Year. I had kind of accepted it before, but now it feels strange. What if they don’t know me? What if they don’t love me anymore?”

I’ll still love you, Minseok thinks, but the words just don’t come out.