3: Left Behind

Heavens Reflected

A/N: Thank you to all my subscribers :') I get so happy every time I see the 'New Subscribers!' icon when I log in. Thank you for all the comments. I am open to constructive criticism, as well. Please point out any grammatical errors or spelling errors so I can get that fixed :)

~~~~~

Minseok hates art class.

He steps into the classroom, feeling hurt and angry. At this time, just yesterday, he had walked in without the pressing weight on his shoulders. He doesn’t even have Jongdae, who is for some reason missing today.

He sees that Lu Han has switched desks with Kyungsoo to sit next to Sehun. He pretends not to notice, and moves across the room to his desk. As he is setting his books down, he hears his name called.

“Minseok! Where did you go yesterday?” Lu Han smiles cheerfully and waves.

Just the sound of his voice makes Minseok happier. He smiles back, and shakes his head. “I forgot some things I had to do. Don’t worry about it.” He sits down, still grinning, until he hears Sehun’s voice.

“Lu Han, where are we going after school today? Just the two of us?” Sehun’s voice sounds oddly high pitched, perhaps tinged with jealousy?

“Uh…I was planning on visiting my mother today, actually, but I suppose we can go to buy bubble tea later.”

“Awesome. I love bubble tea.” Minseok glares at his desk. He loves bubble tea, too. It should be him going with Lu Han. He can barely concentrate for the rest of class, focused on scribbling a drawing in the corner of the page. He doesn’t notice when the bell rings.

Jongdae is out of school today, so Minseok leaves on his own. He has barely taken two steps out of the classroom, however, when a strong hand pulls him around the corner and into the stairwell. He looks up to see that the hand belongs to Lu Han. Minseok stares into his eyes, unable to look away. He can see the stars, and Saturn, and perhaps Mars as well. Lu Han looks at him guiltily.

“I’m sorry about Sehun. He gets really jealous when I speak to any other guys. I don’t want to ruin our friendship, but I cannot really be in touch with you much anymore. I’m really sorry.” Minseok’s heart rate jumps.

“Not in touch? At all? But what about-”

“Not in Art. Not in the halls. Not at lunch. I can’t even text you or message you, because Sehun will probably find out. I know his intentions are good, but it can be frustrating. Please forgive me, but I cannot talk with you anymore.” Lu Han stares into Minseok’s eyes one more time. And then, turning on his heels, he walks out the doors and disappears from sight.

Minseok stares at the door for what seems like hours. He hates him. He hates Oh Sehun. He hates him for being the one in Lu Han’s heart. He doesn’t ever want to see him again. If he does, he might not be able to keep his calm. Minseok imagines himself finding Sehun and making him pay for being so possessive of Lu Han. Lu Han realizes how much better Minseok is for him, and promptly tells him that it has been him he has loved the entire time.

Minseok kicks open the door and looks out into the hallway. It is empty, so he starts to head towards his locker to collect his textbooks.

Another strong hand grabs him from behind and drags him back into the stairwell. Minseok gasps, confused, and turns to see the glaring eyes of not Lu Han, but Sehun.

Not him again. Is this guy everywhere?

“Listen. I know how you feel about Lu Han. I can see it in your face every time you look at him. I’m here to tell you to back off, or there will be consequences. I don’t want to see you look at him, let alone talk to him. Lu Han is the only one I’ve ever really loved. Don’t you dare take him away from me.”

“How could I? He loves you. He doesn’t love me.”

“You don’t know? Lu Han used to really like you. He gave up because of the way you always treated him like a friend. But it doesn’t matter now, because you’re right. He loves me. So stay away.”  

~~~

Minseok wants to hit himself. How could he not have noticed?

Why was he so stupid?

Why?

~~~

Jongdae still hasn’t returned. Minseok wishes he was there, so he could have somebody to talk to, about anything. Anything to take his mind off of the terrible feelings rising in his chest.

He’s made his choice. He is going to get Lu Han back. It might be the worst decision he has ever made, but he is going to try. He knows it might hurt him. It might hurt Lu Han. It might hurt Sehun. But he has to try. Otherwise he will never be able to forget what he threw away all those months ago, trying to ignore his feelings.

But what to do?

He messages Jongdae.

--Where are you? Is there anything wrong? Should I come over?--

He waits.

There’s no reply. Perhaps he should phone Jongdae instead? Maybe he’s just gone to a doctor’s appointment. Perhaps he went to visit relatives. Perhaps he lost his phone?

Wait.

Minseok thinks back to the night before, when he had visited the restaurant with the rest of the group. Jongdae had said he would be late. But Minseok didn’t remember him actually coming.

In fact, when he remembers the image of the group turning the corner to the table, he cannot pull Jongdae’s face out of the crowd. And he only remembers there being 8 in the group. He hadn’t noticed at the time, because he was too focused on Lu Han. Too focused on him to even bother to remember his best friend. Where was Jongdae?

An eerie feeling falls over Minseok. His phone lies still.

It’s probably nothing. Something came up and Jongdae just couldn’t get to the place in time. Perhaps Jongdae arrived after he left. And today is just a fluke. But still…Jongdae would never ignore Minseok’s texts without a good reason.

His phone vibrates. The screen says he has received a message from ‘Chen’.

He sighs, relieved. So Jongdae is not dying in a secluded alley somewhere. Thank God.

--No.--

What? Just ‘No’?

--It’s nothing. Don’t worry. Don’t come over. I’ll see you soon.--

Minseok feels…angry. What’s wrong with Jongdae? Why is he being so secluded? It isn’t like him at all. And especially now, when Minseok needs him the most, he isn’t there?

Something flashes through his mind. Another friend, Byun Baekhyun, lives only a few rooms away from Jongdae in his apartment. He might be able to see if there’s anything going on. He pulls out his phone and quickly texts him, asking if he can see anything strange outside of Jongdae’s apartment.

--Whoa…that’s weird…There are tons of people outside his door. Looks like there might be his family, and a few police officers as well. I’ll ask what’s going on. Hold on a sec.--

--They just pushed me away. I can’t get in to see what’s going on. But I’m sure he’s fine. Don’t worry about it. I’ll text you later if something else happens. -Baek--

Something is very wrong. Baekhyun pretends not to be worried in the text, but Minseok is sure that he is just as confused and concerned as he is. What’s wrong with Jongdae? Where has he been?

Just then, Minseok’s phone vibrates again, and this time, it’s from ‘Chen’. He fumbles with the phone, nervously pressing the passcode numbers.

--I changed my mind. Come over immediately.--

--Oh, and bring your phone. There’s something I need on it. Love, Chen.--