Triumphant maknaes

Catch a falling star

She looked up at him. “Nam Jae Hee.” She shook his hand.

“What do you want to eat?” He asked her.

“Huh?”

 “Nevermind .” He turned and went to the counter to order.

“He sure is really weird.” Jae Hee shook her head. “Jongup. Jongup. Jongup.” She tapped her pencil on her cheek. “Where have I heard it before? Or have I read it somewhere?” She closed her eyes and thought hard. “Never mind.” She shrugged and continued reading her book.

 Jongup came back carrying a tray laden with two plates of pasta and banana smoothies. He carefully put the food on the table and sat.

“So, Jae Hee.” Jongup started.

“Hmmmm?” She looked up and was startled. “You brought food?”

Jongup grinned at her, passing her the food.

Jae Hee looked puzzled. “You’re weird.”

Jongup laughed at her remark. “Eat up. You must be hungry.”

She nodded and started twirling the pasta on her plate.

Jongup eyed her and nodded. “You’re weird too. Are you always that clumsy?”

She choked on her food. Jongup passed her the banana smoothie. “What are you talking about?” She sipped her drink.

“Our last two meetings were filled of your mishaps. Though I barely remember the first one, the coffee stain was evidence enough. The second one, well you have the grocery bags to remind you.” Jongup leaned back, grinning.

“You’re always laughing. It’s creeping me out.” She munched on her food, hiding the blush that was creeping on her cheeks.

Jongup looked away and stared outside. “You make me feel refreshed.”

“Huh?” Jae Hee looked at Jongup, confused.

Jongup looked at her, smiling. “Usually, I’m shy with people. But I feel at ease and comfortable with you.” He sipped his banana smoothie. “I don’t know why. I mean, I barely know you.”

“You’re nice.” Jae Hee smiled at Jongup.

Jongup chuckled at her comment. “Eat.”

“You too.”

Silence followed. But strangely, it felt nice. Nothing like any silence they’ve ever experienced before, and it felt warm. Like the first breath of spring. Only it’s weird, because it’s winter.

“Are you going straight home after eating?” Jongup asked Jae Hee after finishing their food.

“Ani.” Jae Hee shook her head. “I’m going to finish another chapter or two before I head home.”

“Do you have exams coming?”

“Yes. Two weeks from now. Before winter break starts.”

“You should start now.” Jongup nodded at her things.

Jae Hee looked confused. “Aren’t you going to go home?”

“Later.” He smiled. “I won’t make a noise.”

“Are you sure you’re not going to be bored?” Jae Hee asked Jongup.

He shook his head. “No.”

Jae Hee arranged her things on the table and opened her book. “I might not make a noise too.” She smiled at Jongup.

Jongup laughed.

-----------------

“How much was the food?” Jae Hee asked Jongup.

They were already making their way out of the café when Jae Hee remembered that she wasn’t the one who paid for she ate.

“Don’t think about it. That was my treat.” Jongup opened the door for Jae Hee.

“What for?”

Jongup just shrugged and walked ahead of her.

Jae Hee ran after him. She looked around her. “This was where I got lost when I was following you.” She said, falling in stride with Jongup.

“When?” He took a peek at her.

“The day I spilled coffee on you. I followed you because I wanted to say sorry. But, I lost sight of you and found myself here, a place I don’t know.” She explained.

“But you came here today.”

“I don’t know how. I just came here because I was looking for a peaceful café.”

“So that means you don’t know your way home?”

“I came that way.” She pointed at the opposite direction. “But I came here on foot. So I don’t know what bus to ride.”

Jongup was already walking ahead of her.

“Jongup!” Jae Hee shouted.

Jongup looked back at Jae Hee, smiling. “Follow me.”

 

 “Thank you for taking me home.” Jae Hee told Jongup.

They were already in front the building where Jae Hee’s flat was located.

“You’re welcome. You should get inside already, its cold.” Jongup motioned at her to go inside.

“I will. Be careful on your way home.” Jae Hee waved at Jongup.

Jongup smiled, waving back.

-----------------

Zelo jumped at Jongup as soon as he closed the door to their dorm.

“What?” Jongup was trying to get Zelo off him.

“Don’t ask me what hyung.” Zelo wriggled his eyebrows suggestively at Jongup. “What happened hyung? It’s already late.”

Jongup walked to the kitchen. “I took her home.” He was pouring water to a glass.

“Really? So you talked to her?” Zelo sounded excited.

Jongup chuckled. “How could I take her home when I didn’t talk to her?”

Zelo nodded. “You have a point hyung.”

“Are the hyungs asleep?” Jongup asked Zelo, drinking water.

“All of them.”

Now you might wonder how B.A.P’s maknae Zelo knew about Jae Hee. Was he stalking Jae Hee and Jongup earlier at the café? Did he, by chance passed by that same café and saw Jae Hee and Jongup?

-----------------

Jongup and Zelo entered a café to finally find some peace and quiet after a tiring day.

“Hyung, what do you want to drink?” Zelo asked his hyung, lining up at the counter.

“……..”

“Hyung?” He followed Jongup’s gaze and found a girl, nose buried in her book, clicking on her calculator. Zelo smiled knowingly at his hyung.

He tapped Jongup on the shoulder. “Hyung, what do you want to drink?” He asked.

Jongup finally woke up from his dazed state. “Coffee Latte.” He said to Zelo.

“Okay. Go find a seat hyung.” Zelo instructed Jongup.

Zelo arrived at their table to find Jongup looking again at the same girl. “Who is she hyung?” He asked, sitting down.

“Just someone.” Jongup took a sip of his coffee latte.

Zelo raised his eyebrow. “Just someone?”

Jongup nodded in agreement.

“Go to her.” Zelo pushed Jongup.

“What?” Jongup looked at Zelo, confused.

“You look like you wanted to go talk to her.” Zelo grinned.

“Am not.” Jongup shook his head in denial.

“Don’t deny it. Just go already. Do you want me to drag you over there?” One more word of denial and he would really drag this hyung of his away from his seat.

“I don’t know her.” Jongup stated.

 Zelo stood up and true to his words, dragged Jongup to where Jae Hee was sitting. He pulled a chair and pushed Jongup to sit down.

“I’ll get going now hyung. Don’t be such a baby. Fighting!” He went out of the café, waving at a worried looking Jongup.

-----------------

“How was it?” Zelo wasn’t quite finished with interrogating Jongup.

“Good.”

“Good? Just good? You went home this late and you tell me that it’s just good?” Zelo looked like he could kick Jongup any second now. “Come on, hyung.”

Jongup laughed at Zelo. “You don’t really need to know everything.”

“But I want to!” Zelo whined. “I helped you get near her.”

Jongup stood up and made his way to his room. “Privacy.” He grinned at the maknae.

“Tch. Privacy my face.”