Victory slip

Catch a falling star

Jae Hee looked up from her books. Woohyun just got home from work.  “Oppa, Minhee and Chanmin will go home with us to the province next week.” Jae Hee told her brother.

Woohyun looked puzzled.

“Why are you giving me that look?”

“I just met Minhee and Chanmin downstairs. They were both bringing bags. They told me they were going home to the province already because their exams were finished.” Woohyun explained to her sister, taking off his shoes.

“What?!” Jae Hee bellowed. “They told me they will go home with us.”

Woohyun gave her sister a shrug. “Maybe they changed their minds.”

Jae Hee stomped her feet and rolled on the floor. “Don’t tell me I’m the only one left here, burying my head in my books while they are already enjoying winter break?” She whined, rolling again.

“Seems like it.” Woohyun went inside his room to change his clothes.

Jae Hee has been cooped up in their flat for almost a week now, reviewing for her exams. The last time she went out was the time when she went to the café to take a chance to see Jongup. She hasn’t gone out after that in pursuit of concentration. She really needed to concentrate on her studies. But, that doesn’t mean she hasn’t been thinking about Jongup. The warmth of his hand. The. Aish! Stop it already.

Woohyun looked at his sister like she was about to go crazy. “Take a break, will you? I feel that you’re going crazy because of those books.”

She nodded and covered her face with a blanket.

“Have you eaten dinner yet?” Woohyun asked her.

“What did you bring?” Jae Hee’s head appeared beneath the blanket.

“Ramyun.”

Jae Hee threw the blanket and ran towards the kitchen.

 

“Let’s go somewhere.” Woohyun announced after they have finished eating.

“Next time, oppa. There are still many things that I need to review.” Jae Hee was washing the dishes.

“But it’s Saturday!” Woohyun whined.

“Go somewhere yourself. You can also ask Sunggyu oppa to go with you.”

“The grandpa is on a date.”

“Date? Sunggyu oppa is on a date?” Jae Hee was so surprised, the bowl almost slipped from her hands. A knot formed on her forehead. “What about you oppa? When are you going on a date?” She asked her brother.

Woohyun stood up from where he was seated and opened the door to Jae Hee’s room.

“What are you doing?” She crossed her arms on her chest.

“Let me borrow one of your books.”

Jae Hee could only shake her head at her brother.

“Let’s go eat ice cream, oppa.” She told her brother when Woohyun got out of her room, bringing a book of his choice.

“My treat.”

“You don’t have money.”

Jae Hee snorted. She was the thrifty one. How could she not have enough money to treat her brother to ice cream?

“Get your coat.” Woohyun pushed her and ran towards the door laughing.

-----------------

“I’m free!” Jae Hee ran out of the classroom immediately after passing her test paper for her last exam.

She looked up at the sky, grinning. “Omma, Appa, I’m going home.”

She searched her bag, raising her hand phone when she finally found it. She dialed her brother’s number. “Oppa, I’m finished with my exams.”

“How did you do?” Woohyun asked on the other line.

“Good? I guess.”

Woohyun laughed. “I’m with Sunggyu, Sungyeol, and Sungjong. Come here with us if you want to go crazy.”

Sungyeol snatched the phone away from Woohyun’s hand. “Jae Jae! Hurry up in getting here. We’ll go to the KTV bar after eating dinner.” He hung up.

Jae Hee winced. Unlike her brother, she wasn’t musically blessed. Hell, sometimes she can’t even distinguish what’s in tune or out of tune.  Must she really go?

She shrugged. “I’m free!” She did a victory dance.

And slipped. How could she miss that with all the ice around her?

She opened her left eye, wondering how in the world she didn’t feel the cold pavement underneath her. She squinted to see a grinning person.

“Be careful.” Jongup pulled her up.

She bit her lip and smiled. “Thank you.”

“You’re dancing was good.”

She gave him a glare. He really didn’t need to rub it in her face.

Jongup raised his arms, laughing. “Why are you celebrating?”

“Exams are already finished.” She walked ahead of him.

“Jae.”

“Are you going somewhere?”

Jae Hee stopped on her steps. What was he saying?

“I mean, do you want to go somewhere with me?”

Jae Hee turned to look at him, surprised. But at the same time, she felt relieved. She doesn’t have to go crazy with her oppa’s at all.