Warm

Catch a falling star

Jae Hee couldn’t believe how much of a coward she became. She ran away from the man she likes, hid from him, didn’t reply to his messages, and wouldn’t meet his eyes. What should she do to have the guts?

She picked a book and started to read it. After a minute, she put down the book again without even finishing the first line. Now, she couldn’t even understand what she was reading.

“I should go home already. I’m not even doing something productive here.” She mumbled. She fixed her things and left the library.

Outside, she stopped in her tracks when the rain poured. “Great. Now the heavens are in sync with what I’m feeling.” She looked for her umbrella, opened it and ran towards the bus stop.

-----------------

Jae Hee was nearing their apartment when she saw a familiar figure. She stopped to study who it was and recognized it to be Jongup. She ran forward and put the umbrella above his head. Then, she opened her bag to look for her handkerchief.

“Do you want to get sick?” Jae Hee angrily asked Jongup, wiping his face. “You didn’t even find somewhere with a roof and just stood here soaked in the rain.”

Jongup looked at Jae Hee, smiling. “I didn’t know what time you will go home.”

“And now you’re smiling?” Jae Hee slapped Jongup’s shoulder.

“You didn’t run away.”

“And leave you here like a dog? Aish.” She pulled Jongup inside the building. “Are you cold?”

Jongup shivered.

Just the answer she needed. She grabbed Jongup’s arm and started to climb the stairs. When they reached the Third floor, she rapped on the Park’s door.

“What?” Minhee grumpily opened the door. “Jae Hee?” she looked at the soaked man beside her friend. “Jongup?”

“Min, can you let us in?” Jae Hee asked Minhee. “Oppa will surely throw a fit when he sees Jongup in our place.”

Minhee moved aside and let the two enter their place.

Jae Hee made Jongup sit down on the couch and went for the door.

“Where are you going?” Jongup stood up, following her.

“I’ll get you dry clothes. I’ll be back.” Jae Hee closed the door and went to their place.

Five minutes later, Jae Hee entered her friends’ flat bringing a sweatshirt and jogging pants. “It’s my brother’s.” she handed him the clothes. ”The comfort room is on the right.”

Jongup went to the comfort room to change. Jae Hee sat down. She was surprised when she saw Minhee sitting beside her. She forgot that this was her friends’ place.

“Min, can we stay here for the night?”

“You two stay here in the living room. I’ll be in my bedroom. No monkey business.” Minhee wagged her finger at Jae Hee. “I’ll just get you two blankets.”

Jae Hee laughed. “Thank you.”

It was time she face Jongup now. No more running away. Even nature’s forces were conspiring to make sure of that. She laughed. Or was it just her who was thinking it was fate?

After putting on the dry clothes Jae Hee gave him, Jongup sat down beside her and rested his head on the crook of her neck. Jae Hee’s eyes widened in surprise at the sudden contact. She looked at Jongup and saw him sleeping. She furrowed her eyebrows sensing something wrong. Jongup felt hot. She touched Jongup’s forehead and winced. He was having a fever. She carefully laid him down on the couch and went to the bathroom to get the medicine kit.

After getting the medicine kit, she then checked his temperature: 39ºC.

“Up?” She shook Jongup’s shoulder. “Have you eaten dinner?”

Jongup shook his head.

Jae Hee stood up and went to the kitchen to prepare porridge. How long was he waiting for me to catch a fever? she thought.

Minutes later, she came back bringing a bowl of hot porridge. She woke Jongup up and assisted him to sit.

“I made you porridge.” Jae Hee took a spoonful of porridge, blew on it and fed it to Jongup.

After finishing the food, Jae Hee made him drink medicine. She made Jongup lie down again, set aside the utensils on the table and stood up.

But Jongup held on her hand and pulled her on top of him. He held her tightly in his arms.

“Where are you going?” He whispered.

“I- I’ll get you a blan-ket.” Jae Hee stammered.

“Didn’t your friend already bring us blankets?”

“Let me go.” She pulled away from Jongup.

But Jongup just held her tighter. “You’ll run away again.”

Jae Hee sighed. “Aren’t you cold?”

“It’s warm enough with you by my side.”

“But…” Jae Hee protested.

“Shhh.” Jongup whispered, burying his face in her hair, inhaling her fragrance, savoring the moment and thinking how well she fit in his arms.

This time, she just felt his warmth. Felt his assuring presence. Felt the happiness blooming inside her because Jongup was at her side. Felt the butterflies in her stomach. Her growing feeling for Jongup, she thought, was enough to make this right.

She didn’t press the issue any more. Instead, she snuggled herself in Jongup’s broad chest. And just like that she had fallen asleep, warm in Jongup’s arms.