Hello, Ms. Diligent

Catch a falling star

“When are you getting a girlfriend oppa?” Jae Hee asked her brother, reading the book Sunggyu gave her.

“When you graduate.” Woohyun answered her sister, stirring his coffee.

“I’m serious, oppa.” Jae Hee told her brother, not even bothering to look away from what she’s reading.

“I’m serious too.”

This time, Jae Hee looked up from the book she was reading. “Don’t be such a martyr.” She threw a pillow at her brother. “It doesn’t suit you. It’s not as if you’ll get married already.”

Woohyun laughed. “I was only kidding, Jae.” He sipped his coffee. “When will you get a boyfriend?” He asked his sister, wriggling his eyebrows.

“When you already get one.”

“Get a boyfriend?” Woohyun looked at her sister as if she had grown three heads.

Jae Hee glared at him. She hated it when her brother gives her a retort like this.

Woohyun laughed. He eyed the book Jae Hee was holding. “You told me you were going to study?”

“I do.”

“Then why are you slacking off, reading a novel?”

“I’ll go study after I finish this chapter.”

“You should go outside and find a peaceful place to study. Sunggyu, Sungyeol, and Sungjong will be waking up anytime now. This place will be bustling with activity and noise when they do.”

Jae Hee closed her book and stood up. “Arasso. Stop shooing me out of our house oppa. I’ll just go change and get my things.”

 

“Where’s Jae?” Sunggyu rubbed his eyes, walking towards the kitchen to drink a glass of cold water.

“Studying.” Woohyun was switching channels on the television.

Sunggyu pointed at Jae Hee’s room. “In her room?” He asked Woohyun.

Woohyun turned his head from the television to look at his friend. “Ani. She went out. I told her to find a peaceful place.”

Sunggyu has his head inside the refrigerator, looking for something to eat. “Isn’t your place peaceful enough?”

“It is, when you guys are not here.”

Sunggyu threw an apple at Woohyun’s head. “Jerk.”

-----------------

Jae Hee yawned and laid her head on top of her books. She kept on clicking her calculator. She looked outside the café she was in, only to realize the sun was already setting. It was tiring to study, really. She closed her eyes, and rested for a while. She will continue studying after taking a nap, she thought.

 

While Jae Hee was sleeping, a man made his way towards her table, pulled the chair across her and sat. He sipped his coffee latte and looked at her sleeping face, carefully studying every feature. He ran his eyes from her forehead, to her closed eyes, lingering for a while to scrutinize her long eyelashes, then her small nose, and stopping his gaze at her pink, heart shaped lips.

She’s pretty. He smiled at himself. He already noticed that the first time they met, but he was too busy picking her things to study her features.

The man leaned back and continued sipping his coffee latte, looking outside.

Jae Hee stirred from her sleep and looked up to find a man sitting across her. I don’t remember sitting with anyone, she thought. She rubbed her eyes and looked up again.

She looked at him and studied his side profile. She ran her eyes along his blond hair, closed eyes, staring hard at the mole on his sharp nose, and stopping her gaze at his full lips.

He’s handsome. She smiled at herself. What would he look like up front? Just as handsome too? She thought.

The man glanced at her and grinned. “Were you planning how to eat me just now?”

Jae Hee sat up straight and dropped her jaw. “Co. Co. Coffee stain!” She stuttered, cheeks flushing red. “I was not.” She looked away, embarrassed.

The man continued laughing at her. How adorable can she get? “Okay. You weren’t.”

She snorted.

The man reached for her book and opened it. “Were you reading this?” He asked, holding it up in the air. “This book is so thick.”

Jae Hee snatched the book from the man’s grasp, hugging it. “I was, and will read it.”

“Why?” The man looked confused. Why would someone want to read such a book? His head hurt just by looking at it.

She was scanning the pages. “I need to.”

“Why?”

“I’m studying for my exams.” She reached for her calculator and pencil.

“Oh. You’re in college?” The man leaned forward, looking interested.

Jae Hee nodded, not looking up from her book and clicking numbers on her calculator.

“Is it hard?”

“Yes.”

“Have you eaten yet?”

Jae Hee sighed. She came here to study, not be bombarded by questions from a man she didn’t really know. He’s handsome, but he’s annoying her. “I’m not hungry.” But just as Jae Hee finished her sentence, her stomach grumbled.

The man laughed loudly. “Your stomach doesn’t agree with you.” He wagged his finger.

Jae Hee looked down, cheeks flushing red. Why must she be doing embarrassing things now in front of this man?

“I’ll get you food.” The man stood up and dashed at the counter.

He’s nice. Just as the thought crossed her mind, she shook her head. A while ago, he was annoying. Now he’s being nice. Just what was he doing?

A moment later, the man ran back at her table.

“I forgot.” He stood in front of her, extending his hand. He flashed her a smile. “I’m Jongup. Moon Jongup.”