Newton's 3rd Law

Dragon's Nest series

Title: Newton’s 3rd Law
Pairing: Krisho
Genre: Romance
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I own nothing beside this fic
Word Count: 2,169
Age settings: Sehun 16 years old
Summary: For every action, there’s a reaction

 

A/n : too lazy to think about an appropriate summary HAHAHA enjoy!

 

 

Sehun is at Jongin’s house that afternoon.

 

They have a group assignment and the students got to choose their own pairings. Sehun and Jongin are attached to each other most of the time, so once the teacher told them to pair themselves, they immediately sent each other meaningful stares and here they are, paired up once again.

 

Both of them are sitting across each other at the dining table. Actually, Sehun wanted to do it in Jongin’s room, but there’s a maintenance guy who’s fixing the room heater, so they had no choice but doing it in the dining room. They’re facing they own laptops, and while Jongin is busy typing, Sehun is only staring at the screen.

 

“Yah,” Jongin calls after a while, tired of seeing Sehun doing nothing. “Why aren’t you typing something?”

 

“Writing a poem isn’t as easy as you doing pirouette,” Sehun grumbles. “I really don’t know what to write.”

 

Jongin decides to drop the subject right away because he knows Sehun still needs some time to think so he continues on typing. The air is filled with the sound of Jongin’s fingers against the keyboard. Sehun who’s out of creativity only sighs, eyes fixed on the on the empty document. Maybe it’s because he hasn’t been writing poems lately, his time has been used for stacks of school assignments and dance practices.

 

During their silence, Jongin’s father walks out of the room and goes to the kitchen for a glass of water. The old man stands beside Jongin and takes a look at his son’s laptop screen.

 

“Is that for school assignment?” he asks, tone isn’t laced with curiosity—he just wants to have a small talk.

 

“Yeah, Dad,” Jongin answers almost nonchalantly and he lets out a short yelp when his father messes his hair. He mumbles in annoyance but the man ignores him. Sehun stares at him before looking at Jongin.

 

“Your dad didn’t go to work this morning?” Sehun asks, purposefully lowering his voice. He spares Jongin’s father a glance when the man sits in the living room and starts reading a newspaper.

 

“He didn’t feel well this morning, so he takes a day off.”

 

“My father also didn’t go to work today,” Sehun mutters quietly, he doesn’t expect Jongin to hear that, but Jongin does.

 

“Which one?”

 

The question makes Sehun snickers. “Chinese one.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“He has a fever.”

 

“I didn’t know giants can have fever.”

 

“Me neither.”

 

They laugh together, and by the time their laughter subsides, they get their attention back to their laptops. After five minutes of silence, Sehun finally has something in his mind and starts writing. Jongin realizes this and unconsciously smiles.

 

The house is quiet for half an hour. The boys are too immersed with their assignments and the man squints at a certain news he’s reading. The silence then slowly filled with a light roar of a car. Sehun doesn’t need to ask to know that Jongin’s mother just arrives from work. They don’t bother with her and continue with what they’re doing. Jongin’s father sits up to meet his wife and he stands before the front door.

 

“Hey,” the man greets cheerily, “how was work?”

 

“Great,” the woman answers while taking off her shoes.

 

“You don’t sound great.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Did you just tell me to shut up? I asked you how your work was!!”

 

“Yeah I know and I answered that already!”

 

“Is this how you’re supposed to greet your husband? Not smiling and yelling?”

 

“Do you even know what happened at work?! You don’t so shut up!”

 

“That’s exactly why I asked how your work was!”

 

Sehun has his eyes at the couple, and he catches the annoyance in Jongin’s face as his friend says something under his breath which he doesn’t manage to hear. Their concentration has faded away with all the yelling and they don’t seem to want to continue their work unless the condition is as steady as how they started. Luckily, the maintenance guy appears from the stairs and Jongin’s smile blooms rightaway.

 

“The guy’s done. Let’s move to my room,” Jongin says while lifting his things in his arms and Sehun follows. Jongin’s parents stop yelling at each other to pay the maintenance guy before the air turns awkward and Sehun doesn’t even think he can handle a situation like that.

 

“You always make things worse,” the wife starts again, and Jongin groans and tells Sehun to be quick.

 

“You just don’t wanna be blamed!”

 

The yelling continues like frying pans smashing against each other, and Sehun glances at them for the last time before following Jongin upstairs, his grip on his bag somehow tightens.

 

--

 

When Sehun arrives at his house later in the evening, his ba greets him with a wide grin on his face. Sehun doesn’t really answer him since he’s tired and he wants to get some rest.

 

“Where is your hyung?” Yifan asks as he leans on the wall behind him while his youngest son is taking off his shoes.

 

“He has a night class today. Usually it ends around 8 or 8.30 so he’ll be a bit late.”

 

Yifan only nods as an answer and walks back inside. Sehun follows after he’s done putting his shoes in the rack, but he stops in the middle of the house because it’s really empty and feels so quiet.

 

“Where’s dad?” he asks after realizing what makes the house feels so.

 

“This afternoon he went to the office because of an important call from the chief editor?? Editorial meeting? Something like that. So we have no food in the kitchen and if you’re hungry I’ll go outside and buy some chicken from the shop across the apartment?” Yifan answers (even though literally ends his sentences with question mark) while sitting down at the dining table where Sehun recognizes a new novel and his reading glasses are on the wooden surface.

 

“Nah. I’m good,” Sehun rejects because he’s not that hungry. He can wait. Takeouts are good but his dad’s cooking is a whole different story.

 

“Did you eat at Jongin’s house?”

 

“No. Something happened so we didn’t eat.”

 

That’s the last thing Sehun says before entering his room, changing his uniform to tee and shorts. He puts his bag beside his desk, taking his phone with him and walks out of his room to lie on the couch. With both ends of his earphone attached to his ears, he opens Youtube right away and taps on the Popular Music playlist. He doesn’t really have something specific to stream right now.

 

Today is really full of silence, Sehun thinks as the first music video he watches ends, and both he and Yifan don’t move from their very places, busy with their own worlds. The video switches to another one and he watches it with an unimpressed stare on his eyes.

 

The front door swings open somewhere at 7, and both males turn their head at the door to see who it is. Once they notice that it’s Junmyeon, Sehun pauses the video and exits Youtube, while Yifan closes his book and puts his glasses on the desk. His Chinese father walks to his husband’s direction and Sehun watches quietly.

 

“Hey, Babe,” Yifan greets and even though his back is on Sehun’s, the boy knows that the man is grinning widely. Junmyeon, however, doesn’t say a thing and only pries off his shoes with a visible frown on his face. “How was work?”

 

Oh? Sehun lifts his eyebrows. Those words bring back to what happened earlier in Jongin’s house. I’ll see how this one goes.

 

“So so,” Junmyeon answers, hands still busy untying the shoelaces.

 

“Really?” Yifan bends a bit to take a look at his husband’s face. “You don’t look okay.”

 

“I don’t want to talk about this.”

 

This isn’t normal. Junmyeon is the kind of a person that can easily fake a smile even during the darkest storm to make everyone around him feels safe and alright. The perfect smile on his face is the result of living his life with a heart made of silk and cotton candy—all sweet and kind. So when he can’t even tug the ends of his lips to put on a smile, that means there’s this emotion in his head that’s tickling dangerously like a bomb, ready to blow up anytime soon.

 

“Honey,” Yifan calls as Junmyeon puts his shoes in the rack. The smaller man chooses to ignore him and walks inside quickly. However, Yifan is faster and he manages to catch Junmyeon’s arm to stop him. “This isn’t how you’re supposed to answer me.”

 

The similarities are coincidence, coincidence... Sehun thinks to himself as he feels the atmosphere turns to a tense one. His heart starts to beat faster, curious about what’s going to happen before him.

 

Yifan grabs Junmyeon’s shoulders and turns his body to face him. The look on his eyes is sharp, eyes seeking for answer. The temper Yifan has in his head is really bad and he can yell as fast as he blinks. “What happened at work?”

 

Junmyeon is quick to shake his head. “Nothing, Yifan, I—”

 

“Who hurt you?” Yifan asks again, this time cupping both of Junmyeon’s cheeks, and Sehun can tell from one look about how soft Yifan when it comes to Junmyeon, handling him like he’s a fragile piece of a rare diamond—you touch it the wrong way and it breaks. “Did someone say mean things to you?”

 

That’s when Junmyeon’s wall of defense falls apart, crumbles down to tears and he buries his face in Yifan’s chest, clutching the front of his husband’s sweater tightly. Yifan hugs him, welcoming all the warmth and tears in his arms without saying a thing. The sobs are light and short and somehow sound wet, and somewhere inside his heart, Sehun hears a small crack because it hurts to see his father crying like that.

 

Yifan decides that Sehun doesn’t need to see this, so he slowly drags Junmyeon to their room. He looks at his youngest son, arms still wrapped tight around Junmyeon’s body.

 

“Go buy the chicken. 4 servings. My wallet is near the TV,” he says softly. Sehun glances at the TV and notices his ba’s wallet there, and he looks at Yifan again before nodding. Both of his fathers then disappear behind the door, and no sound follows. Sehun stands from the couch and goes to his room to grab his jacket. After taking out some bills, he walks out of the house and aims for the elevator.

 

He presses the button, it feels cold on his finger but he stays silent. The door closes and today’s events start playing in his head. Jongin’s parents’ fight... actually it was almost the same with what his fathers just did, but the endings are nowhere near.

 

Where is the difference?

 

Even though he doesn’t know Jongin’s father that well, but he knows that the man’s temper is maybe just as bad as his ba. They can explode their anger anytime, raise their voice to the point it scares people, and shoot terrifying glare.

 

This must have something to do with ba’s evergreen love to dad, Sehun thinks to himself as he smiles a bit. He then remembers something he read in the science book about Newton’s Laws. To be exact, it’s the third law. “For every action, there is a reaction.”

 

The elevator arrives at the first floor and the door opens for Sehun to step outside.

 

How Jongin’s mother and his dad’s acts were the same. They were stressed by work, they were too tired to have a proper conversation and all they needed was a place to rest in somewhere comfortable. In the end of the day, a problem won’t be solved by scolding and yelling. It needs a heart to heart talk, soft and low voice, gentle and affectionate touches.

 

It’s not about the action. It doesn’t matter how bad you acts, because it’s about the reaction of people around you. Junmyeon’s tiredness is his reaction of work, and arms spread out for him to come is Yifan’s next reaction. Nothing goes wrong after that. Sehun is sure as hell his dad will smile ear to ear when he gets home later. He believes the strong bond between his fathers, no matter how hard it is for them. He knows they will always there for each other, no matter what the situation is.

 

The problem won’t be there in the first place if you react well, Sehun thinks as he pushes the door of the chicken store open, bright lights which blare at his face makes him squints a bit, but he walks to the counter with confident steps.

 

 

A/n: I'm sorry is my writing rusty already TT
But still, thank you for reading! ^^

 

 

ask.fm