the story begins

Your Happy Ending

 Europe is definitely the best place to distract oneself and just enjoy the majestic scenery, rich culture, cold temperature and delicious delicacies. Actually, it not only helped me take my mind of my heart-break but also it paved way to being a research for me and Sooyoung Unnie through tasting different cuisines that we can incorporate with our dishes in Korea. 2 months is not enough for us to fully enjoy the experience but given that we can’t stay any longer because of our family and work, we are already grateful for being able to spend those 2 months here.

2 days before our flight back to Seoul, I was not able to escape the interrogation that was set to happen even before we boarded the plane to London.

 

After a long hot bath, I came out of the bathroom with my hair still dripping wet and a bathrobe to cover my nigthies. What shocked me is that after coming out, the girls grabbed my arms and dragged me towards the living room and pushed me to sit down on the lone chair in the middle.

The funny thing is, they even have popcorn and soda prepared at the end table near the couch where they are now sitting at in front of me as if anticipating a very amusing show. I mean come on guys! My story is not some kind of movie ok! Or maybe it can sort of, kinda pass as one with all of the drama in it.

With the 3 unnies sitting on the couch and maknae on the carpet, they looked at me with questioning eyes as they await for the bravest to start. And being the most vocal within the 4 of them, Sooyoung unnie was the one to break the silence.

“Okay Yoong! Enough stalling and spill! Right now!” She demanded earning nods of agreement from the others.

“What exactly do you want me to tell you guys?”

“Everything. From the start up to the ending which is when you got to the airport.”

“Alright.”

I sighed a very deep sigh before I begun sharing to my closest friends everything that happened that led us here.

--------------------------------------------------------

After our serendipitous meeting, Jiyong and I continued to bump into each other at the coffee shop. We became very close with the time that we spent together in the corners of that caffeine filled place. Unconsciously, the two of us started this unspoken agreement to have coffee after office hours. During those rendezvous’, my hobby of viewing other people begun to rub on him that we spend hours of making up stories about the people that we are observing.

“You see that girl?” he pointed to the lady with clear glasses who was wearing a blue cardigan over a white tank top and white pants along with a not higher than 3 inch sandals.

“Oh? What about her?” I asked as I examine his expression.

“What do you think she’s doing?”

“Hmmm.” I hummed while tapping my chin with my right index finger. “Since she’s at a place near the entrance and that she’s wearing something casual, I’m guessing that she’s waiting for someone, probably a guy younger than her. As soon as that guy comes, they’ll leave and go for a date in some restaurant within the area.”

After voicing out my guess, I took a sip of my drink and waited for things to transpire at that girl’s table.

“How can you even come up with such deductions?”

“Well, like what I told you, I’ve been at this business for a long time now.” I laughed.

“As your protégé, I think you’re wrong.” He said matter-of-factly.

“Oh please do enlighten me why I’m wrong my dear student.”

“Yes master.” His left palm and right fist met and he gave me a small bow receiving a light slap on the arm from me making the both of us laugh.

“Silly guy! Just tell me your own theory. We don’t have all night you know.”

“Alright alright master.” I gave him a sharp glare after using the word master once again and that shut him up.

After clearing his throat he begun, “I don’t think she has a boyfriend because judging from the way she dresses and her glasses, she’s someone who takes more priority of her job than socializing and being in a relationship. Even her posture screams workaholic.”

I laughed at his theory. Not because it’s funny or impossible but because it’s exactly what a newby will say. I’ve learned to never judge a person’s personality based on their clothing, though sometimes it does help deciphering a person’s character it doesn’t always work that way.

“Why are you laughing? I’m sure that I’m right. I even bet a month’s worth of coffee that I’m right.”

I looked at him with a smirk and said, “Call!”

Rubbing my hands together I confidently taunted him. “Free coffee for a month will be wonderful. Thank you in advance Jiyong.”

“Don’t be too confident. Let’s just watch and see who will get a month of free coffee.”

“Oh but I am confident Jiyong. If there’s one thing I’m more confident than my cooking, it’s this.”

And exactly after I finished talking, a young lad entered the premises and guess what, he went to kiss blue cardigan girl.  

With a triumphant smile I looked at a dumbfounded Jiyong and finished my coffee.

“Wait. How will we know that he’s younger and that they’re going to go on a date and eat at a restaurant within the area? Until we confirm all of that no one’s getting free coffee!” he whined like a little kid that I can’t help but laugh my heart out. Who would’ve known that Kwon Jiyong has this side to him?

“But you just bet that you’re right and it looks like you’re not. So free coffee for me.” I grinned at him. “But just to prove how right I am, do you want to go on an adventure and follow them?”

He was sceptical but he’s seriously thinking about it.

“Come on! Decide! They’re leaving!” I rushed him while fixing my things as I’m sure that he will agree.

“Fine let’s follow them.”

And with that, we followed the couple. A big smile was plastered on my face as we saw them entered a restaurant, which by the way I own, not far from the coffee shop. And what brought a wider smile on my face is the look on Jiyong’s face after witnessing the fulfilment of my deductions.

“H-how did you do that?” flustered, he asked. “It was spot on, like you know the couple and how they think.”

What he said made me double over in laughter because he’s right! I do know the couple.

“Wait! You do! You tricked me!” and I can’t help but laugh harder with his face looking so defeated. Well it’s not like I tricked him. After all, he was the one that initiated the bet and I just took the opportunity to get some free coffee and also to have more reasons to meet him.

“No I didn’t. You are the one who started the bet. I just agreed to it.” I stuck my tongue out.

“B-but you know them! It’s not fair!” he said stomping his feet just like a child throwing tantrums. Oh Jiyong! How can you be so adorable?

“What does the little kid want to stop sulking?” I mocked him using my aegyo voice. “Does the little poor baby want to eat?”

Right after seeing him nod while pouting, I dragged him inside the same restaurant where the couple entered but he pulled me back making me halt in my steps.

“Why?”

“It looks expensive here. I didn’t bring my wallet with me.”

Hearing his lame excuse, I continued dragging him inside without even waiting for the maître d to seat us. Well why would I? I own the whole place so I scanned for an empty table and made him sit.

“What’s your favourite food?”

“Aglio olio.”

“Just stay there ok?”

In a flash, I left the thunderstruck Jiyong and dashed towards the kitchen to cook for him. Sooyoung was very much surprised to see me working in the kitchen after my shift, but after hearing what I instructed Jungsu, which is to attend to Jiyong’s needs, she didn’t ask anything and just gave me a knowing smile.

Personally, I served the dish to Jiyong and beamed at him.

“Aglio olio for one sulking big baby.”

“H-how? W-why?” he stuttered, as words are failing him at the moment.

“Welcome to Im Yoona’s very own playground.” I giggled. “Opppsss. I mean restaurant.”

“You never fail to surprise me Yoong.” And he laughed along with me. “I can’t wait to see more of what you have to offer Im Yoona. I can predict how you’ll always get me on my toes in the near future.”

With that being said, I pushed the dish nearer to him and said, “Just eat up you choding!”

 

The meetings during the night were extended to morning meet ups and weekend trips until we became the best of friends. And as if I’ve saved a country in my past life, we didn’t stop at just being best friends, after 2 years of our friendship during one of our trips, he confessed to me.

 

                Trips to the beach are my favourite because it soothes me to just stare at the unending view of the ocean and to just hear the waves by the shore. Jiyong knows this that’s why whenever we are having our weekend trips we frequently choose a place near a beach.

                Actually even before I met Jiyong, I went on trips even if I’m by myself. It’s my way of rewarding myself for a week’s worth of hard work. 

                It was almost time for the sun to set and Jiyong and I just finished playing in the water and we were just sitting under our beach umbrella watching the waves and the kids who were having fun under the sun, when he asked if I can join him for a walk by the shore.

                “Yoong, would you like to join me for a short stroll?”

                “Sure! Let’s go.” I agreed excitedly as I quickly stood up and grabbed his arm.

                “Hey, why are you in such a rush?” he asked bewildered but he didn’t stop me from dragging him.

                “It’s just that the sunset will start any minute now and I want to watch it.” I pouted.

                “You’ll get to watch it at the greatest spot here in the beach. I promise.” he ruffled my hair which made me pout even more. “So stop pouting you choding!”

                “Look who’s talking!” I stuck my tongue out and left him.

                I heard him calling out to me but I ignored him and just continued walking feeling the sea breeze on my skin. After a minute, he was able to catch up to me and block my way. He was wearing that tantalizing smile of his that makes my heart skip a beat each time I see it and because of that I can’t stop myself from smiling back.

                “Look!” he shoved a pretty pink seashell on my face and smiled wider. “Pretty right?”

                I took it from him and admired how a small and simple thing like it can exude such beauty.

“Where’d you get this? It’s wonderful.”

“It caught my eye while it was lying on the sand and I can’t just leave it there.”

Hearing that such a treasure was just lying around somewhere, while continuously walking, I searched my surroundings if I can spot another seashell that’s as beautiful as this. I can feel Jiyong following my lead and after a while, I heard him yell.

“Yoong! Look! Look!” he screamed excitedly with his right hand up in the air as if holding something. I ran to where he was and checked what it was that he was yelling about.

“What is it? Is it really more beautiful than the one you showed me earlier?”

“Yes.”

The excitement in his tone vanished and it was replaced by seriousness. He handed me what it was that he was holding and it was a clam. It’s not even close to the beauty of the seashell and I was about to complain but he stopped me.

“Open it.”

And like a dog to its owner, I obeyed without questions not knowing that I will get the shock of my life. Inside the clam is a silver ring.

“Jiyong! There’s a ring in it!” I exclaimed in shock. But surprises just won’t stop as Jiyong took the ring from my grasp and placed it on my finger.

“Im Yoona.” He paused. “Yoong.”

Oh my God Jiyong! Stop stopping and just tell me what’s going on! My heart is already beating to fast from the surprises and now from the anticipation of what you’re going to say.

“I love you.”

With those 3 words, time stopped but my heart begun erratically beating. He loves me. The man that I have been in love with ever since the first time we met loves me too.  

“It was inevitable that I would fall for you in the span of our friendship. How can I not when you’re one of the best persons in the world. You’re not only extremely beautiful but you’re also very witty. Your smile makes me smile and your laughter makes me laugh even if I’m going through tough times.” His tense tone became lighter after stifling a laugh. “I’m sorry if I’m freaking you out with my cheesiness, but the bottom line here is that, I love you Im Yoona.”

His confession was indeed cheesy but I don’t mind because all I needed to hear is that he loves me and I want nothing more. Without a moment of hesitation just after he said my name, I pulled him in for a kiss. A kiss that will let him know just how much I’m thankful and glad that he loves me. And a kiss that will make him feel the intensity of my love for him.

“Does that tell you what I think about your cheesy lines?” Breaking away after that passionate kiss that we shared I teased.

“Be mine Yoong.”

“Only if you’ll be mine Jiyong.”

And with those being said, our lips met for another round of lip-locking and just like a movie, the marvellous sunset started making the moment even more romantic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Wait!”

My trip down memory lane was cut by Yuri Unnie’s scream. Now, everyone’s eyes are on her while groaning in protest as she interrupted my story.

“What?!” She shrugged to the girls’ groans. “Well it’s getting too long! And we already know those parts because you asked for an abrupt meeting the day after he confessed just to spazz about it remember?”

The girls’ nodded their heads in agreement right after Yuri Unnie’s statement.

“But you asked to start from the beginning until the end and those are all part of the whole story.” I scratched my nape in confusion of what they want me to actually do or tell.

“Is it?! Then Jiyong Oppa’s your problem?” Taeyeon Unnie exclaimed with wide eyes.

I nodded meekly.

“Did he hurt you?!”

“What did he do?”

“But you two were perfect for each other.”

One by one they blurted out their reactions.

“If you would just let me continue then you’ll know. So take a chill pill guys and sit back and listen. Arasso?”

After fixing their positions and returning their attention back to me, I started with how my whole begun to crumble.