chapter 3

Hello (안녕)

      You slid on your new, crisp school uniform. How long has it been since you been to school? Ever since your parents died from a car accident, at sixteen your kind grandmother took you in. But she was too poor to support your education, so you dropped out of high school.

      From part-time jobs, to recommendations of music teachers you have known for a long time, you finally got into university. You will never truly know how, but maybe it was just that God was listening to you for once.

      You grabbed a piece of bread from the kitchen, and made your way for the first day of school.

      Ever since you were little, you always hated the first day of school. You didn't know anyone, and you had to adjust to a new environment with new kids.

      You looked down at your schedule, and you feel a bit confused on where to go; you were just plainly lost.

      Strangely, there were barely no kids around you, so you knew you were definitely doing something wrong.

      As if your prayers were heard, a young man walks by you.

      “Excuse me, do you know where this classroom is?” you point at your schedule and the young man pushes up his black-framed glasses up the bridge of his nose.

      “Ah, young lady, you are on the other side of the school. That is my class! I’m your new teacher!” he spoke excitedly and you laugh awkwardly. Great way to make a first impression for your teacher, getting lost on school grounds in the first five seconds of school. You honestly thought he was a student that was a year or two ahead of you, you would have never thought he was a teacher. “Come on, let’s go together before the bell rings, or else we will both be late.” he joked, and guided you to first period.

      You walk in before your teacher, and you make your way towards the corner seat, ignoring the rowdy kids. From the girls gossiping about you, and the boys catcalling you. Moments later, the teacher walked in. And within just three seconds, you see a whole crowd of loud kids sitting on their desks immediately calm down; that must be a new record.

      “Anneyonghasaeyo. My name is Kwon Jiyong, but that isn't important. Right? Of course, though, call me Mr. Kwon.” your teacher cooly introduced and you can already see the girls fawning over him. “I am here to teach you music, and if you disagree with me in anyway, I will totally understand your opinion. But if you disrespect music, you will need to leave this classroom. Okay?” he clarified and the class screams back an “okay” back. And you hear Mr. kwon clap his hands with approval. “Good, let’s start class!”

 

      After four periods, you already had to have one research paper about the creation of the janggu and the history of it, a notebook full of work for this new calculus class you are trying, take notes from the textbook about the introduction of physics, and an essay on traditional music has to do with you.

      You carry with a book piled on one another, and you made your way to the small, corner of the cafeteria. You plop down your homework, and immediately start getting to work.

 

      “Wah, did you see the new girl here?” himchan’s friend said amazed to the crowd of boys.

      “Why, what happened?” All the boys lean in to hear, but himchan absentmindedly listened while playing on his phone.

      “She was so pretty, I swear, I thought she was someone from girl’s generation!” himchan’s friend bragged, and everyone just exasperated.

      “Yah, you are lying.” everyone yelled but himchan’s friend stood stubborn.

      “No, seriously! I mean— Look!” the boy pointed towards you, and all the boys follow his finger.

      “Wah, dude, you really weren't lying!” one voice said in awe.

      “She is so pretty.” another voice added.

      “She is totally my style.” The other said, and himchan looked up to see what all the fuss was about.

      When himchan sees whom all his friends were fanboying over, himchan felt shocked, yet giddy.

      Himchan cooly stood up from his seat and started to make your way towards you, even if his friends were giving him weird looks.

      “Hey, what’s up stranger?” an annoyingly familiar voice says behind you, you forcefully look up from your textbook and you are met with an unusually too happy grin.

      “Hi.” you shortly say, and your attention returns back to your paper with scribbled notes on it.

      “I didn't know you were going to come here, why didn't you tell me?”  himchan asks curiously, and sits himself in the chair in front of you.

      “I didn't feel like it.” you shortly reply, and himchan took a deep breath of defeat.

      “You know, you are so hard to talk to sometimes…” Himchan said, a bit frustrated.

      “Then don’t talk to me.” Himchan’s lips slide into a pout but he shook his head.

      “I want to talk to you though, give me a chance to know me. Please?” Himchan begs, and you raise an eyebrow,

      “Fine, if that means you will leave me alone now to do homework.” you negotiate and himchan eagerly nods like a little kid getting ready to play a game.

      “It is a date then!” he cheered and you roll your eyes.

      “No, it isn’t” you muttered, but he didn't hear you.

      “After your shift at the coffee shop then, I will pick you up!” Himchan puts a thumb up, and immediately dashes away from you.

      You rub the temples of your forehead; you mumbled to yourself with a bit of agitation, “What have I gotten myself into?”

     

      The minute you took off your apron and walked out of the cafe, himchan was already outside waiting for you with his car.

      “You ready?” Himchan let out a bright smile, and you decide to return the smile. He opened the passenger seat for you, and he motions for you to get in his car.

      You smile as a thank you, and you slid into the chair. Himchan’s arm reaches across your chest and buckles your seatbelt for you; classic move.

      He still has that goofy grin plastered on his face, and he runs over to the driver seat and slides into it himself.

      “Where we going?” you asked blankly, and himchan shook his head.

      “It is a secret!” he said in a singing voice, and you roll your eyes.

      “What am I doing?” you began to question your motives now.

 

      The whole car ride was silent besides the quiet music coming from the radio. You would hear himchan hum along with it, and you had to admit, he had a nice voice.

      “We are here!” Himchan announced in an emcee-like voice, and you look up to observe your surroundings.

      “Such a fancy restaurant…” you looked at the place with amazement, and himchan let out a smirk.

      “Don’t worry, it is okay.” he acted cool and pulled open your door. “Shall we get going?”

 

      As you walked into the restaurant, you and are led into the back. Himchan pulls out a chair for you, and you begin to question his motives.

      “Here are the menus and call me when you are ready.” The waitress said, and before leaving, she gave himchan a heavy stare that disgusted you.

      “Anything you want?” himchan asked eagerly, he skimmed over the choices but it looked like nothing appealed him.

      Himchan’s leg bounced and shook, and it looked like he was distracted and not reading the menu.

      “Uh, are you okay?” you ask slowly, and he looked up quickly.

      “neh? Uh, well, just nervous I guess…” he laughs quietly to himself and he explains further on, “it is just, I feel like I am going to screw up.” He admitted and you raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

      “Screw up on what…” you ask, oblivious to his situation.

      “Just, ah forget it.” He muttered, and before you could question further, the waitress barged in the both of you.

      “Did you decide what to order?” she asked both of you, but she was looking at himchan.

      “Ah, not yet. Do you know what is the most popular here? What do you recommend?” himchan politely smiled up at her, and she looked so happy that a guy she doesn’t even know had asked her opinion.

      “I totally recommend to get the seafood pasta, but like you can get whatever you want. Everything here is good.” She tried to say seductively, but epically failed.

      “Ah, thank you so much.” He gave a casual wink to her and she swooned easily.

      At the sight before you, you felt yourself gagging at the greasiness of this man. Why did you agree to go to dinner with him?

      There whole flirt session went on for a while, and you knew you were easily forgotten, as if you weren’t here. You could hear their laughs and the way she playfully punched his arm made you want to throw up. You seriously had enough of this.

      You stand up from your chair and you bow a quick bow to himchan. You needed to leave this place because you honestly didn’t want to order from a girl who likes to throw themselves at good-looking men she barely knows. As well you didn’t feel like eating with a man who toys with girls as a past time. You see it everyday at work at the coffee shop; you know he is trying to play with your co-workers’ hearts.

      “Thank you for inviting me here, but I should go.” You quickly excuse yourself, and storm out of the place.

      “Wait!” himchan called after you, but you weren’t stopping for him.

      You pushed open the doors to let yourself out of that place, and you take in the cool, night air to refresh your mind.

      “Aish, I can’t take this.” You put your head down and started to make your way towards home.

      After taking three steps, you immediately walked into something super solid.

      Since you were so small, you almost fell to the floor because of the force, but luckily an arm caught you by your waist.

      “I’m sorry!” the deep voice instantly apologized and you looked up to be met with a familiar face.

      “Yongguk-ssi?” you ask, a bit shocked at the fate you two had.

      “Ah, anneyong.” He timidly acknowledged, he gave his infamous gummy smile.

      He still had his grip around you. You stare at his arms for a bit and you look back up at him, “you can let me go, you know…” you trailed off and he seemed a bit confused at your statement at first.

      “huh?” he raised and eyebrow, and he followed your line of vision to his arms still attached to you. “Oh that, I am sorry, like I mean, yea…” he stumbled the words out of his mouth, and you couldn’t help but stifle a laugh seeing how flustered he looked.

      “Aish, I must look so stupid…” he put his head in shame, and he felt completely humiliated that you were laughing at him.

      “No, you don’t!” you clarify, and he raises a bemused eyebrow at you, “I actually, think that you look cute,” you said so quietly, that yongguk could barely hear you.

      Yongguk gave his smile of approval and he gently grabbed your hand.

      “I will drive you home.” Yongguk offered, and he dragged you to his car without letting you oppose him.

 

      Himchan leaned against the brick wall of the restaurant and admired how well you and yongguk looked together, even though he was more envious.

      He coldly laughed to himself, and saw you retreating with yongguk; you both already looked like a couple.

      “Forget it, she likes yongguk more than me.” Himchan tried to explain to himself; but he just felt like he needed you more.

 

A/N: lol I am so sorry, this is all just like the past kind of thing… I am not up to the real drama yet… lol so consider the first few chaps the intro? LOL I am positive that the next chap will be the last chap that is in the past. Me sorry ;-; lol also my VIP heart just told me to add gd in here as a music teacher, bc like come on... he would be such an awesome teacher. lol im so VIP bias

sorry not sorry