Of Time

[HIATUS] Red

That thou among the wastes of time must go,
Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsake
And die as fast as they see others grow;
And nothing 'gainst Time's scythe can make defence
Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.

-- William Shakespeare, Sonnet 12

 

                The first order of business was to pester Yi Fan (again) today. Yi Xing needs to make sure that Yi Fan would do whatever it is that they’ve planned to do. They’ve both reached a compromise about this particular couple. Yi Xing promised to follow whatever it is that Yi Fan wants to do with this couple as long as they end up together in this lifetime and this time Yi Xing wants it for keeps. No matter what Yi Fan wants to do to the both of them, Yi Xing wants this lifetime to be a happy ever after for the two since he’s going to be there to witness it. Yi Fan can decide to make them wait another hundred lifetimes to be together after this.

 

                He just hopes that Tao’s cheesiness and penchant for sickly-sweet-gag-worthy happy endings doesn’t rub off of Yi Fan. Yi Xing is fine with any type of happily-ever-after (not the proposal on the beach please, that’s not even remotely romantic) just as long as this couple finally gets what they deserve in this lifetime. As much as he wants to do everything in his power to make everything smooth sailing for the couple (because they’re cute and stupid and cute) it’s still up to Fate and circumstances. He sighs at being powerless, it to only be a matchmaker and it more when you’re friends with Fate and it big time since Fate can’t be bribed and told what to do regardless of what sacrifices you promised to do for him.

 

 

                But, oh well, as long as this goes according to plan. Now the only problem is how to tie the other end of the string. The barista never leaves his post and even if he does how would he be able to tie the string without looking suspicious? He made an idiot of himself the first time he tied the other end of the string, he doesn’t want a repeat of it. It was easier before when they used to tie the string on the couple’s ankles but one of them got kicked severely they decided to tie it to the person’s pinky finger, it’s less dangerous and more scientific (that’s what every human is saying, apparently the pinky has a vein that directly connects to the heart). Yi Xing doesn’t know if it’s something someone made up or if it’s really scientifically true, he doesn’t bother learning about anatomy.

 

                He could try shaking hands with the barista, but what for? He’ll think of a way eventually for now there’s a mug of piping hot coffee waiting for him and his assistants. Chen hasn’t been to a café since they started doing research and it’s usually Yi Xing who goes around stalking their victims, ermmm clients.

 

                The smell of coffee is overwhelming, but no longer offensive. He could get used to the smell, it’s a bit comforting to be honest. Like taking a whiff of ambrosia. One of his assistants, Tao is walking around the café sniffing every beans he can lay his eyes on. Can’t he act normal for once?

 

                Chen decided he wanted to try one of the concoctions written on the board. The pastries looks appealing too, maybe he could try a few of those. He pats his jean pockets and was reassured that Fate’s credit card is with him. Maybe they all can indulge in something sweet this time. Tao decided to start acting like a human and is now standing next to Chen looking over the café menu.

 

                “What’s a bubble tea?” The taller of his assistants inquired, tilting his head to the side.

 

                Chen smiles at his co-assistant. “I don’t know, I don’t work here…” Tao glares at him as he proceeds on scrutinizing the menu.

 

                “Bubble Teas are really nice. Those are my favourite! But Minseok-hyung, the resident barista, doesn’t make them…”

              

                Chen and Tao simultaneuosly swivel their heads to the direction of the voice. Realizing who the speaker was, Chen has a smirk on his face as soon as he recognize who it was. He’s sure Tao’s trying really hard to keep his face blank.

 

               

                “My friend here, his name is Tao is very much interested in Bubble Tea… Maybe you could recommend a certain flavour to him since it’s his first time trying the drink…”

 

                “It’s your first time drinking bubble tea? Man, you’re missing a lot…”

 

                Tao glared at his shorter companion, but Chen thinks he doesn’t look like he means it. So since Tao has someone to show him the wonders of bubble tea, he decided to approach the barista on the counter to ask for a suggestion.

               

                Yi Fan or Kris since he’s on Earth now, has been watching Yi Xing as he writes names on an ancient-looking tablet. He can’t believe Yi Xing still brings that around. It’s old fashioned and clearly heavier than the modern tablets that everyone carries around nowadays. He must be writing the names of his next victims. That’s still no use though, Fate still gets to decide when the destined lovers would meet.

 

                “Stop sneering at my tablets…”

 

                “There’s a more modern thing that you could use instead of that, you know…” Kris crosses his long legs and sips his tea. The baristas here are good at making these things, maybe he could have his assistant work here for a while so he can make decent coffee.

 

                “Me and my ancestors before me has used these things for a long time now and besides this is just for documentation. So, have you decided what type of suffering my destined lovers would have in this lifetime? Oh and just a favour, please stop killing the shorter one with incurable diseases. It’s been used a ton of times, you’ve already reached your quota for that…”

               

                “How did you…”

 

                “I have my ways… You’re not the only with friends in Higher Places…”

 

                “It’s Ba Zian, right? I really should fire him… You’re secretary manipulates him easily…”

               

                “That’s because I employ only the best…”

               

                “You employ deceiving, evil people…”

 

                “Stop sour-graping about my ability to hire good staff…

 

                Kris’ attention was momentarily caught by a lone figure hovering over Yi Xing who’s still not done writing on his ancient tablet.

 

                “Why are you writing my Minseokkie’s name on that rock? What do you intend to do with it?” a somewhat familiar (crazed) voice made Yi Xing look up. The guy is early, he told this particular (note: only) client  to not go there until it’s closing time to visit the café.

 

                “There’s a lot of Min Seok’s in Korea, how would you know I’m writing about THAT Min Seok…”

 

                “Well… for one it says Kim Min Seok…” his client puts his pointer finger to his chin, this makes him look endearingly stupid. “0326… That’s his birthday… and you’re here at a café where he works at. I do think you’re planning something that involves my Minseokkie…”

 

                Of course I am, it involves you too, stupid. Yi Xing mutters under his breath. But “That doesn’t make sense… Go away…” is what he says out loud.