Prologue

[HIATUS] Red

                A long, long time ago, when Heaven is still a place where pollution is a thing of the imagination and common human trends are frowned upon, there lived Yue Lao. Yue Lao still lives don’t get me wrong, but heavenly beings also need to keep up with modern times so now he prefers to be called Yi Xing or Lay if he wanted to sound cooler.

                At present, Yi Xing is pondering on a big task, the biggest task of the century (ignore the frowning – when was he not? – face of Fate, currently known as Wu Yi Fan or Kris if he wants to be cool too). People of this decade no longer believe in his ability to match make. The red strings now of no use since people decided to take things in their own hands and preferred to seek their own future than to pray for his guidance. And that’s just so wrong in all accounts, and truth be told it makes him jobless (and useless Kris side comments, Yi Xing would love it if the reader ignore said remark because everyone knows Yi Fan is more useless).

                So Yi Xing plans to go down and walk among mortals to look for people who’d wish for his service. It’s a bit lowly for a person of his rank but the current computer program where he obtains peoples wishes is presently being upgraded by his assistants who he thinks have probably messed up the wishing software because all he gets nowadays are wishes for marriage to certain KPop Idols and since the wishes are more frequent in that particular area, Yi Xing decides to start his project there in the hopes of hearing a pure wish and a use of his match making skills. The ball of strings in his hand twitches, a clear sign of life or maybe just excitement of finally having something to do after being on a hundred year hiatus.

                He dons the human clothes his assistants have prepared for him. He wants to blend in and the flowing robes would be a dead giveaway (or a sure shot at an asylum – Yi Xing request for Yi Fan to stop inserting his smart comments on the narration coz for one, he isn’t smart and is just an and they aren’t funny – when was he ever?) of his identity as a high-ranking being of Heaven.

               "Never wanted to piss on someone's face more than I want to piss on yours.” Yi Fan reads out loud, eyebrows raised in question.

                He curses (yet again) Yi Fan’s ability to read in English (one of the many human languages Fate knows) and mock him for it. He’s never relying on his assistants for human fashion ever again.