Hate You, Love You

The Kim Family

 

Heechul never liked having dongsaengs but a year after his birth Shindong came, he can’t help it there’s not much of a difference. He didn’t feel threatened then because Shindong had become a very good partner-in-crime and help. However, things weren’t the same five years later --- when Donghae was born. Everyone has given the little thing all the love and attention Heechul thinks belongs solely to him and he began to hate Donghae since then. For Donghae, however, his Heechul-hyung was like the sun that shines the brightest among all despite how Heechul pushes him to Shindong or ignores him.

 

“Hyung…” called a teary-eyed 5 year old Donghae.

“What?” Heechul replied without looking away from the tv. He was in a foul mood, his parents were away and Shindong was in school so he’s left all alone with the ‘thing’.

 

Donghae was outside, standing at the porch, he wanted to get his ball but he was afraid of the black cat staring at him with those slit-like marble eyes.

“Hyung…” Donghae called again.

“What?!” Heechul snapped and finally turned to see what’s wrong.

Donghae looked at him with big doe-like eyes and pointed at his ball.

“I can’t get my ball…*sniff* the cat is *sniff* scaring me… Heechul-hyung help!” Donghae cried. 

Annoyed, Heechul got up, went out and grabbed the ball and cuddled the cat on the other arm. Donghae cringed when the cat was inches from him. Heechul can’t help but smile at his dongsaeng’s stupid fear of cats.

“It’s harmless Hae. Cats are not scary, they are cute like dogs but not as noisy as them, and not as smelly as them.” Heechul has no idea why he’s comforting Donghae, he hated the kid after all.

“Really?” Donghae asked in a meek voice.

Heechul nodded with a smile.

Donghae wiped his tears and smiled then slowly the cat’s fur. “Hehe… the cat is like Heechul-hyung.”

“What makes you say that?” Heechul was curious

“Some kids say that you’re scary but I know you’re not! I love you Heechul-hyung, thank you!” Heechul was taken aback and just sat there letting the little kid hug him for the first time.

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Present:

Heechul’s room was a mess, piles of clothes here, books scattered on the floor, his garbage bin overturned.

“What’s with this mess?!” came his umma’s shrill tone.

“I’m looking for something!” Heechul said almost yelled.

“Do you have to make this mess?”

“Yes!”

“Well what are you looking for?”

“My keychain.” Heechul continued scouring his belongings.

“A key chain?! Just for a key chain?!”

“Not just key chain, my cat key chain!”

“What’s the difference it’s still a key chain, a cat key chain.”

“There’s a big difference umma! Now have you seen it?” Heechul was already yelling.

“Go ask your brothers.” Replied their umma calmly. “And clean up this mess!”

 

Heechul asked Shindong first, if he’d yell at least not to the little ones. Shindong didn’t saw the keychain and now that his temper has subsided he decided to ask his newest dongsaengs.

 

“Umma said you were… what was he again?” Kyuhyun said and turned to ask for Kibum’s help.

“Drunk Kyu, that’s why he can’t remember where he put it. Ah! I remember Donghae-hyung hang it together with the other keys!” exclaimed Kibum.

Then both of them smiled widely at him. He ruffled both their heads and thanked them.

 

The keychain was really just hanging together with the other keys and key chains. Heechul sighed with relief and placed it inside his pocket. Shindong passed by the living room, where Kibum and Kyuhyun were playing.

“Shindong-hyung.” Called Kibum, Shindong stopped. “What’s so important with that key chain Heechul-hyung’s been looking for?” Kibum’s curiosity arised again.

Shindong grinned and plopped to the couch, beckoned the two kids towards him.

The two followed earnestly.

“Actually, that was a gift from Hae when we were still little.” Shindong whispered and narrates briefly their childhood.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Past…

 

When Donghae was little he would almost always come home crying because of being bullied at school and Heechul would quietly take care of things and nobody bothered Donghae since…

 

…The sun was suddenly covered by dark clouds and it began to rain heavily without any warning. Kangin and his family decided to stop the search until the rain stops but Heechul went on his own and continued looking for his little brother. Then he heard someone sobbing. At a corner beside the carousel was Donghae crying and wet.

“Of all the days to get lost, you have to get lost on my birthday?!” Heechul yelled.

“Sorry hyung… I was just…”

“Whatever. Let’s go!”

The rain had stop and they were getting back to their family in silence. Donghae was still sniffing, Heechul looked down and saw Donghae’s right knee scraped. He stopped and bent down then glared at Donghae.

“Didn’t you even bother to fix this wound?! Really!” Heechul reprimanded as he tied his handkerchief around the wound.

“I was running after this cart that sells cute things and I somehow fell. I didn’t notice it. Sorry.”

“Why did you run after that stupid cart?”

“Because I wanted to give you this.”

Then Donghae opened his fist and inside laid a cat key chain. “Happy Birthday hyung! You like cats, right?”

Heechul don’t know what to say but took the key chain from Donghae’s hand and ruffled his hair. “Let’s go.” He softly said as he took one of Donghae’s little hands in his. Donghae had really, successfully penetrated his heart.                   

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Donghae just came back from school and Heechul was about to leave for a party.

“Hyung, I found your key chain on the front yard late last night, I hanged it…” Donghae said while Heechul put in his shoes.

“Yeah~ I saw it. You should’ve told me or left a note at least that you placed it there.” Heechul said sarcastically.

“Sorry I guess I forgot.”

“Whatever… well, what are you standing around there for?”

“Nothing!” Donghae said then turned his back. 

I guess I’ll just ask him over the weekend, its due on Monday anyway. Donghae thought.

 

“But Heechul-hyung doesn’t treat Hae-hyung really nice.” Kyuhyun said after observing how Heechul treats Donghae.

“You two are still too young to understand how hyung’s mind works.” Shindong said with a laugh.

 

S3: END.