Realising

First rain

Siwon happily skipped past his mom in thought and she thought that something indeed wonderful had happened to her son. Seeing him happy and cheerful, she pulled a smile and made him sit down beside her on the couch forcefully.

 

"So...What makes my handsome son so happy?" she asked him with inquisitive eyes.

 

Replying her with a brilliant "thousand-watt" smile, he hugged her before saying " Mom ...I am so happy...I feel like running up a steep mountain and screaming my heart out that I am in love....again!"

 

Hearing her son literally jumping about like a novice in love, her face fell in unfathomable worry.

 

"Wh..what do you mean ...in love again? Siwon-ah?" she asked him in anticipation.

 

"It means what it means mom....I am in love...And I can never be more sure about it!" Siwon had unfortunately failed to catch hold onto his mom's worry filled tone when she had asked that question.

 

Hence she rephrased " You have gone through a lot since your first break up Siwon-ah, we have gone through a lot. Dont you think you should take it slowly....I just dont want you to ...I simply cant bear to see you go through another one!"

 

"Mom...relax...I know of all people you were probably the most affected due to my first disastrous relationship. My affection for Jessica had been the result of constant persuasion from her side. It was bound to fizz out eventually. She and I were never meant to be together. But not this time...."

 

"Coz this time its spontaneous. It was love at first sight. And I instantly knew that it was just the right thing to do. Falling in love again and giving my life a second chance!" Once Siwon was finished with his explanation, his mom sighed and shifted a bit away from her son. She grit her teeth and was having difficulty controlling the tidal wave of emotions.

 

"Who is it?" she asked out of the blue and Siwon had to ask again what she had just asked him.

 

"I asked who is it this time? Surely she had to be someone very much prettier than Jessica to have made you fall head over heels at first sight!" his mom assumed.

 

"Its..um...not a she....Its a he...I have fallen in love with a boy!" he stuttered. His mom was utterly shocked with this revelation. She had instantly felt like someone had splashed her with a douche of cold water and a myriad of emotions were splayed on her wrinkled face. She never would have even imagined in her wildest of dreams that her precious Siwon would one day surprise her this way by confessing that he had turned gay one fine morning.

 

"I am sorr...." As Siwon began he was abruptly silenced by his mom's index finger.

 

"I dont want you to explain......I've heard enough from you for today!" his mom said and got up from the couch in a flash.

 

"Bbu..but mom, listen" Siwon urged meekly but his mom turned her back on him and retreated into her bedroom. Combing his fingers through his hair in frustration, Siwon couldnt do much to convince his mom and hence decided to hit the hay hoping that she would change her mind on her own and come around eventually.

 

Stupid Siwon! What did you think? That she would welcome you in her embrace after knowing that her only son had turned gay in the blink of an eye!?

 

He slapped the back of his head for his stupidity. Then again, he thought about why it felt so right for coming out with his feelings honestly. Truth be told, it had alleviated a bit of a tightness from his chest that he had indeed been honest to his mother about it. Right from his childhood, Siwon had been quite open about his life and shared everything with his parents without any inhibition. He had found solutions to the most difficult of problems tormenting him after discussing it with them.

 

His feelings right now were conflicting, arousing a war of emotions within him. A paradox that couldnt seem more undecipherable and Siwon hoped that he would find a solution to this humungous task at hand of convincing his parents tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

 

Soon came the next day and Siwon prayed to his dearest lord to support him for whatever lay forth. He came dressed downstairs to meet his parents for breakfast but found his mother mixing the soondubu-jigae over the hot stove. For him, there were only two options left which were, to go in and get hit by a rolling pin or wait patiently at the table till breakfast was served and continue yesterday's incomplete conversation. For his own safety's sake, he opted for the second option and calmly sat at the table awaiting the soondubu-jigae and steaming pancakes. His mother came out of the kitchen with a large enclosed bowl filled with the jigae but didnt bother giving him a look as she went inside again to get the plates ready. By the time, she arrived with the plates, his father had joined him shortly.

 

"Good morning Siwon-ah" he greeted.

 

"Uh..erm..good morning dad!" Siwon greeted back but his eyes were trained on his mom's retreating back.

 

"Is something the matter? You look nervous" his dad said.

 

"Uh..No......Everything is fine dad." Siwon insisted though his dad knew deep down that everything is anything but fine. And as he tried to get his son to spill the beans, his wife sat down beside him to join him and his son for breakfast.

 

"Breakfast's getting cold. How many times have I told you two not to talk during meals?" his mom remarked. Her remarks were biting, full of untold irritation and Siwon gulped loudly as he braced himself for a full frontal attack of some good old scoldings. The pancakes were delicious and the jigae was yummy as always but Siwon had lost his appetite long before the food even made it to his mouth. He nibbled timidly on the pancakes as his head hung low. He fiddled with the soup spoon and never once lifted his head up to look at his parents. His father had had enough of this suffocating atmosphere. He had hoped that if it wasnt his son then atleast his wife would explain the situation. He placed the spoon back in his soup bowl and cleared his throat slightly to bring the attention of the other two oblivious people on the table towards him.

 

"Could someone please tell me what happened?" he asked frustratedly.

 

"Um...erm..dad I have a confession to make" Siwon replied.

 

"Well..Go on. I am listening" his dad encouraged.

 

Well...here goes nothing!

 

Siwon shifted a bit on his chair to a more comfortable position and poured his heart out in front of his parents. His dad was equally shocked at first but as he explained how genuinely he felt for the young skater, his expressions started to soften up. He believed that his son was mature enough to make critical decisions of his life and if he feels so strongly that his love is here to stay indeed then he was willing to put his trust in Siwon.

 

"Dad I would have never even ventured into something like this again if I werent sure about it myself, if I knew that I was about to hurt myself again. I love Kyuhyun. I really do and I dont think I can live without him." Siwon finished his explanation with a dramatic sigh.

 

"Hmm...When are you going to introduce him to us?" his dad asked out of the blue.

 

"Wh..What?" Siwon couldnt believe what his ears. His dad had a big smile painted on his face as he asked him and that boosted his morale to a great extent. Beside him, his mom was smiling as well and he was relieved after noticing that even she had begun accepting his decision.

 

"Siwon-ah! Just remember that we're always here for you and that we only want the best for you. If you think that you have finally found your happiness then who are we to rob you off it?" his dad said and Siwon hugged him tightly.

 

"Thank you..Thank you both so much." he said as he released his hug. He couldnt have asked for a better acceptance from his parents than this!

 

"Now tell me. Have you told him yet?" his mom asked.

 

"Well...I intend to, pretty soon. But I am not sure what he thinks of me to be honest. So I am thinking of sticking to being his friend for the moment and enjoy spending time with him more." he said.

 

"Whatever it is that you planned to do, just be careful not to hurt that boy or yourself. And just come out with your feelings when you think the time is right. Before its too late!" his dad adviced and stood up. Siwon nodded in agreement and stood up to help his mom clear the table.


 

Soon the much awaited weekend came and everyone in the neighbourhood was excited for the summer festival. The festival marked the end of the scorching summer and the beginning of the rainy season ahead. All the arrangements were being made right from the start of the week for it. People were busy putting up tents for various stalls ranging from fast food to games, accessories and such. It even had its very own flea market where people from all over the city and outside came to sell their old stuff at a reasonable price. Basically the whole purpose of the festival was for people to have fun anticipating the glorious rainy days that lie ahead.

 

But the much awaited meeting between Kyuhyun and Siwon was not until the evening as Kyuhyun had to practice indoors again with his coach all day. Even during practice, he couldnt help but feel warm and fuzzy inside just by thinking of the proposed "date", as he liked to call.

 

Hankyung caught on to his protege's distraction with ease and said "Earth to Kyuhyun! If you can stop daydreaming and start working your legs, we can then consider calling off practice well in advance or you could be stuck in here with me all night"

 

"Ah! Seonsangnim, you're so mean" he pouted cutely. Perfecting his moves, Kyuhyun was equally thrilled to compete in the Olympics after his graduation. It was only a matter of a year and then, he can proudly stand tall representing his country in the world wide arena just like his mentor. Hankyung mercifully called off practise in time without any delay.

 

"*sigh* Thank god. You sure seemed like you were holding me prisoner" Kyuhyun said exhaustedly.

 

"Well. Dont just stand there! Scram before I change my mind!" Hankyung threatened and watched his student run into his bedroom eagerly.


 

On the other hand, Siwon was in crisis mode. He just couldnt decide what to wear. Though he had many sets of casuals and semi-formals to choose from, he wasnt anywhere near finalising his outfit and the time seemed to be flying by faster than usual. He reached out to a simple black silk shirt, that he wore for special occasions among the mini mountain of splayed clothing on his bed. He thought for a moment before throwing it back into the bundle and frustratedly plopped down on his bed.

 

Calm down Siwon! Just go with something simple. No need to go overboard.

 

He sighed and made up his mind to go with a plain white T-shirt and a pair of dark blue jeans. He quickly changed into his clothes for the evening and admired his selection in front of the mirror. He gave himself a thumbs up for having chosen the most appropriate casual wear for a "friendly" night out. He didnt want to alarm Kyuhyun by being overly dressed for a relaxing evening.

 

He informed his parents that he was going out and then set off towards Kyuhyun's house to pick him up on the way. As soon as he reached his destination, he straightened his tee and readjusted his pants. He smoothed out his hair and double checked for traces of bad breath. As he made his way inside the compound, he smiled to himself thinking how he was paying attention to even the most minute detail. Could he be blamed or criticised for it? No! The guy was in love. Hesitating a bit, he rang the door bell and was immediately met by the welcoming demeanour of Hankyung.

 

"Oh Siwon-ssi. You're here early! Please come in" he welcomed.

 

"I hope you dont mind waiting for a few minutes. I'll send Kyuhyun down in a bit!" Hankyung trudged upstairs and was heard calling Kyuhyun out. Siwon was offered coffee by the maid and as he sipped the hot beverage, he saw Kyuhyun running downstairs in hurry. Placing the mug down on the table, he stood up in a dazed manner as he admired how Kyuhyun was practically glowing in the dark chocolate brown semi-formal shirt and faded jeans. His somewhat long-ish soft curls swayed as he approached Siwon with a warm smile.

 

"Sorry for the delay. Shall we go now?" he asked.

 

"Sure lets go." Siwon agreed.


 

The festival contained almost everything under the sun. Kids and grown-ups alike had fun. Siwon's smile didnt seem to have an off-switch all the moment when he was with Kyuhyun. The younger was vivacious, witty, snarky and adorable all at the same time. Something that he had never seen in Jessica. As they maneuvred past the stalls, one such stall grabbed Kyuhyun's attention. Siwon noticed the younger looking adorably at a small chew toy placed at the top most shelf.

 

"Do you want that toy?" Siwon asked as he fell in step with Kyuhyun.

 

"Uh! No. What do you think I am? A 2 year old?" Kyuhyun retorted.

 

"Well you're definitely not! But the way your cheeks fluff up cutely in irritation makes you look like one!" Siwon teased and Kyuhyun blushed at the comment. His blush was immediately replaced by mock anger as he crossed his arms forcefully and turned his back on Siwon.

 

"FYI I want to buy that for Thomas. He simply loves chew toys!" Kyuhyun added.

 

"You should have said so! Allow me to do the honours!" Siwon said as he picked up the fake-rifle ready to win it for the sake of his crush.

 

"No no no no no. Since Thomas is my pet, I want to win it for him!" Kyuhyun whined.

 

"Alright then! Its all yours!" Siwon gave into his request and handed him the rifle. He watched with amusement at how Kyuhyun got ready in his shooting stance. But he noticed him struggling to steady his aim and was constantly brushing away the stray strands of hair that fell in front of his eyes blocking his view.

 

Lowering the rifle a bit, Kyuhyun turned back to look at Siwon and said " Siwon could you please tie my hair?! Its annoying me!"

 

"Look at you throwing tantrums like a frustrated teenager! How am I supposed to tie your hair? Do you have a hair-band?" Siwon asked.

 

"Reach for my back-pocket, you'll find one!" Kyuhyun instructed.

 

Backpocket? As in the pocket over his *gulp*.....WHACK! Stupid thoughts! Go away!

 

He reluctantly put his hand inside Kyuhyun's back-pocket and navigated till he found the hair-band. He slowly pulled his hand out and couldnt help but feel the faint suppleness of the younger's cheek. Mentally slapping himself, he removed his hands in a flash and begun gathering the brown locks into a tiny pony tail at the back. As this was the first time he was touching Kyuhyun's hair, he revelled in the softness as he wrapped the strands within the hair band. He didnt seem to want to let go of the feeling.

 

With the annoying strands out of the way, Kyuhyun finally aimed at his target and shot it down. The shopkeeper rewarded him with the chew toy.

 

"*sigh* Finally Thomas will stop chewing on my shoes!" Kyuhyun heaved a sigh of relief and smiled at Siwon who was intently watching him from behind.

 

"Ha ha ha...He chews on your shoes!?" Siwon asked. Man! That could have ended up into a nasty tongue-twister!

 

"Leather shoes to be exact! And you have no idea how many pairs I had to replace wiithin a span of three months!" Kyuhyun said.

 

" Its a good thing he'll have a distraction from now on! Good job!" he patted Kyuhyun's hair as he proceeded towards the rest of the stalls.On the way suddenly Siwon pulled Kyuhyun into one of the small street food stalls with fervour.

 

"Sorry but...um...I cant have street food. I get sick very easily if its not hygienic!" Kyuhyun hesitated as Siwon looked at him apologetically..

 

Placing his arms on Kyuhyun's slim shoulders, he said "Dont worry. I know the owner of this place and he makes the best tteokbokki in town. And I assure you that its 100% hygienic!"

 

"Erm..O..kay. If you say so" There was still hesitation evident in Kyuhyun's eyes and Siwon reassured him again as they went near the stall.

 

The owner immediately recognised Siwon and said "Oh! Siwon-ah! Long time no see"

 

"Yes its been long. I've come with a friend of mine and we'd like to order two large servings of your best tteokbokki!" Siwon ordered. Within minutes they were given two bowls filled with hot and spicy tteokbokki. Thanking the owner, Kyuhyun and Siwon made way towards a bench and sat down with their bowls in hand.

 

"Eat before it gets cold!" Siwon said as he took a spoonful of the rice-cakes marinating in the sauce.

 

Smelling the delicious aroma of the mixture, Kyuhyun mixed it once before tasting it. And it was beyond delicious. He couldnt believe what he had been missing out on all along fearing his weak immunity. He savoured the sweet and spicy taste of the sauce and the soft rice cakes for a while in his mouth before swallowing them carefully and slowly. his lips, he fixed his gaze on Siwon and a smile bloomed beautifully on his perfect face.

 

"This..is..sooooooooo yummy! Thank you so much Siwon!" Kyuhyun felt like he was on cloud nine and Siwon couldnt have asked for anything better than a chance to see his beloved happily enjoying the things in life. Right then he deemed himself responsible for bringing Kyuhyun out of his protective shell and let him savour all the happiness and joy that he so rightfully deserved!


 

Chapter 7 updated! Here it is guys! After quite a bit of stalling and a couple of earnest requests from my loyal readers, I have updated chapter 7! Drop comments! Its a sincere request from me as I would want to know if the story is headed in the right direction! See ya'all very soon! Stay tuned! Love you all!...*muah*