Colliding

First rain

 

 

“Ms.Jung you’ve got great news!” her doctor told her.

 

Jessica was called by her doctor one fine morning. He had been tending to her illness for quite a long time and had been constantly making good use of his contacts abroad to try to find a way to save her life. And finally he’d had a breakthrough and wanted to break it to her as soon as possible.

 

“What is it doctor?” she asked.

 

“Did I tell you about Dr. Evan Connors?” he asked.

 

“Um, the Endocrinologist?…Yes you did. A few days ago I think!” she replied.

 

“Damn right I did! Well he is in Busan right now as we speak. He’s here for an International Medical Conference and he’d be more than happy to take a look at you!” his voice had a sense of elation and Jessica couldn’t hold her tears back.

 

“You mean..he can…” she choked.

 

“Yes Ms.Jung. With a little luck, he can save you. He isn’t nicknamed “The miracle worker” for nothing, you know!” he said.

 

“I….I don’t ….I don’t know what to say!” she stuttered.

 

“Just say ‘yes’ so that I can take you to see him tonight!” he said.

 

“Wh..what? Tonight? Really?” she stammered.

 

“Of course. Why put it off till god-knows-when when you can get it over with now? I’ll pick you up at 5 p.m. Don’t be late!” he trailed off.

 

“Thank you so much doctor” she was utmost grateful for his sincerity. If there was anyone who was headstrong about curing her it was him.

 

“Have a nice day Ms.Jung. Oh and don’t forget to tell your parents about it!” he said.

 

“Will do. Good bye.” And she hung up feeling a renewed sense of hope. She was finally going to be living her life to the fullest burying her darkest period of her life deep down not ever giving it a chance to resurface. Her brief relationship with Pierre had been disastrous and it was a mistake she wouldn’t dream of committing again. Suddenly she had the desire to share this piece of information with Siwon.

 

I need to let him know.

 

But then she stopped midway and hesitated.

 

Would he even care? I doubt he’d be the least interested.

 

She walked back and forth in her living room as her mom brought in breakfast and laid it on the table.

 

“Who was it dear?” she asked.

 

“It was my doctor. He said that Dr.Evan Connors has flown all the way down from the US and is in Busan for a medical conference. He wishes for me to meet him tonight.” She told her.

 

“That’s wonderful! When are you leaving?” she asked her.

 

“He said he’d come pick me up at 5 in the evening. I don’t know what to do mama..I am scared!” Her frail body shook as she couldn’t hide her nervousness.

 

A hundred possibilities flashed through her mind in an instant. For all she knew, Dr.Connors could throw in the towel at any time and say “Sorry Ms.Jung, I did everything I could….”

 

She wasn’t sure she could handle herself if things went wrong at this stage, especially when she had been given a renewed hope, especially when….she had started to develop feelings for Siwon. Not fake but real feelings of love, the kind that makes your stomach flutter like a thousand butterflies and makes you think of the person wondering what he might be doing at the moment. Siwon had of course, told her that he had found someone else but she just couldn’t help it. He was still so breathtaking, handsome, gentle, fresh and young, just as she had remembered him all those years ago and out of nowhere her determination to overcome her illness had overpowered her want to give up on her life altogether. The idea of it seemed to tempt her but a small part of her heart kept telling her to give up.

 

He’s never going to trust you again after what you did to him!

He’s moved on! He’s found someone else!

 

“Honey…you need to be strong. For yourself…For me and your father” her mom said and hugged her.

 

“I know mama.”

 

After finishing her breakfast, she decided to call Siwon anyway. She could hear his phone ring for about 10 seconds and then the call got disconnected. He hadn’t answered it and she felt disappointed. She tried his number a couple times more still the call went unanswered. And on the third try, she gave up.

 

He hates me.

 

Siwon had reached Busan at 8:45 a.m and he contacted his boss as soon as he arrived there. His boss gave him the address to the hotel where his employees were given accommodation during their three day trip.

 

He reached the Chosun hotel at 9:00 a.m and checked into his room. The place didn’t look over the top. It looked adequately furnished with minimal decorations and the room was adorable. There was a baby blue tapestry, matching curtains, a single bed covered with matching baby blue sheets, a couch, a dainty chandelier, a coffee table and a bedside table with a single lamp. A couple paintings were hung on the walls and Siwon’s room had the most amazing view of the city.

 

But his mind was elsewhere, thinking about a certain figure skater and his apparent state of silence. He made it a point to stare at his phone repeatedly as if the name ‘Kyuhyun’ would pop out suddenly and he’d get lost in the velvety voice speaking to him.

 

He broke free from his reverie and decided to freshen up. After taking a nice hot bath, he changed into his casuals and lay down on his bed. He was feeling exhausted, both from the two-hour journey and his paranoia.

 

Shuffling back up, he rang his mother to let her know that he had arrived at the hotel safely. Otherwise she’d throw a fit and that would leave another reason for Siwon to lose his mind.

 

“Hey mom” he said.

 

“Did you reach your hotel? How was your journey?” she asked.

 

“It wasn’t bad.” He said.

 

“A woman from the pet store had called earlier. She wanted to know when you’d like to have your pet delivered.” She said.

 

“Oh damn! I totally forgot about Layla!” he shrieked.

 

“Layla?” his mother was puzzled.

 

“That…well…that’s the pet’s name. If she calls again, tell her I’d like to have her by Monday.” He said.

 

“Ok. When is your meeting?” she asked.

 

“Its scheduled for 6:00 p.m” he said.

 

“Alright. You sound tired. Take some rest. Call me when you’re free” his mom said.

 

“Yeah I will. Bye. Love you” and he hung up and collapsed onto the bed. He rolled over and settled into a more comfortable position. He set his alarm to 12:00 noon, put his mobile in silent mode and dozed off completely unaware of the three calls that he had missed from Jessica and two from Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun was feeling better than he had felt the day before but not so good enough to be straining himself and walking up and down in his bedroom in frustration. He had called Siwon twice after noticing his calls from yesterday. He felt terrible for having ignored his calls and decided to call back. But when he did his call went unanswered twice. Those made him think if Siwon was indeed mad at him for yesterday. He wanted to make it up to him any way that he could. So he sent him a text message.

 

Sorry for not answering your calls:(

Please come to the rink today evening.

I have something very important to tell you.

 

Hoping that Siwon would atleast see this message and call back he headed downstairs. He was hungry and was in the mood for some hearty breakfast. After breakfast, he took his medication and plunged into the living room couch with Thomas. Snuggling together they made themselves comfortable in front of the television.

 

Kyuhyun didn’t know when he dozed off but by the time he woke up and noticed the time, it was close to 5 in the evening and the TV was still on and Thomas was trying so hard to get his paws on the figurine Donghae had gifted him that was on top of the television set. Scrambling back onto his feet, he scooped up Thomas in his arms and said “Oh no you don’t! You’re not gonna break another one!”

 

Apparently Thomas had been on a breaking spree a few months ago and no matter how hard Kyuhyun and Hankyung tried to curb this bad habit of his, he always somehow managed to scurry around the house breaking valuable china and pottery. But as soon as he had developed a for chewing on soft, springy things his habit of breaking had been long gone and forgotten.

 

Kyuhyun wanted to thank Donghae properly. To be perfectly honest, Donghae had been quite helpful and considerate that evening. And Kyuhyun had done nothing but rebuke him. Donghae has an uncanny ability to be irritable but that was his USP. That was what attracted people to him and Kyuhyun found this trait of his endearing. He was always so full of energy and so lively.

 

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to be friends…

 

Meanwhile Jessica’s doctor dropped by to pick her up from her house. Her mother and father were beside her as she stepped out and into his car.

 

“Did you tell your friend about it?” her doctor asked out of the blue.

 

“Huh? Friend?” she wondered.

 

“Your friend! The handsome young man who had come to visit you that day!” he said.

 

“Oh! You mean Siwon. No. I called him a couple of times but he didn’t answer. He might be busy.” She said

 

“Hmmm….Dr.Connors is expecting us at 8:30 p.m. He is a busy man. He was supposed to leave immediately after the conference but after I told him about you he rescheduled his flight back home.” He said.

 

“I see….” She trailed off.

 

“Ms.Jung?”

 

“Yes..”

 

“You’re in good hands. You’re gonna be just fine!” he reassured her.

 

Kyuhyun got dressed in a pale blue skin hugging polo neck and a pair of white trousers. He got his gear ready and stepped out. Since the housekeepers were on an impromptu vacation, he left Thomas in the custody of his neighbours until he came back from the rink. He wondered if Siwon would have seen his message and if he would indeed come to the rink.

 

It was cloudy and there was no doubt that it would rain tonight. Not in the mood to take risks, he made sure to bring an umbrella and a raincoat with him. Just then he received a call.

 

Thinking that it might be Siwon calling him, he eagerly pulled his phone out only to notice that it was Hankyung calling him.

 

“Where are you?” he asked.

 

“I am heading to the rink.” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Did you take your medicine?”

 

“Of course I did.” He replied.

 

“Alright. The work at the academy is almost finished for the day. I’ll bring Victoria along for practise.” Hankyung said.

 

“Ok. See you there.” He hung up.

 

As usual he stretched and warmed up. Putting his lucky skates on that Siwon had gifted him, he began his routine. He wasn’t back to full health but as soon as he started he felt alive again. Last night had been a nightmare and he’d give anything to forget about it. Because of his carelessness his teacher had almost pulled him out from the competition but he vowed that he wouldn’t do anything of that sort ever again. His mind was at ease and he could concentrate a lot better and because of the revamped set of medications there was no difficulty in breathing normally.

 

Nothing should go wrong until the Olympics. Nothing!

 

While he was taking a much needed break, Hankyung arrived there with Victoria.

 

“How are you feeling Kyuhyun?” Victoria asked.

 

“Much better. Thank you so much for taking care of me last night!” he bowed and thanked her.

 

“You should take good care of yourself too, you know! Did you know how disturbed uncle and I were?” she said.

 

“I know. I am sorry. I’ll be careful next time.” He said earnestly.

 

“Alright. Now if you’ve done exchanging pleasantries can we please proceed to practise?” his teacher interrupted them.

 

“Tch! So pushy!” Victoria commented and rolled her eyes.

 

Since Kyuhyun and Victoria were new to the couple routine, Hankyung taught them the basics with the help of another tutor from his academy. Kyuhyun’s style was completely different from Victoria’s. While his was more dynamic, Victoria’s movements were subtle, elegant and poised. And Hankyung took it as a challenge to make them both compatible within a month’s time. He wanted Kyuhyun to slow down his movements and make them more attuned to Victoria’s as far as the couple routine was concerned. He showed him how to lift and support her and how to hold her.

 

Kyuhyun was a fast learner and quickly grasped everything he had been taught. Victoria was amazed by his talent. He was a natural and she couldn’t believe that he could skate at such a professional level at such a young age. He hadn’t even graduated from college. She could see just why her uncle was so hell bent on mentoring him.

 

If only he wasn’t so weak and sickly!

 

She took her time studying the young lad. The expression he held was of complete bliss. It was no doubt that with this amount of dedication, this kid was going to go places. He was pale, kind of feminine, had a pleasantly beautiful face and an iron like grit, completely in contrast to his outward appearance. She even thought that if he weren’t younger to her, she would have definitely fallen for him.

 

It was 8:00 p.m. And the practise session was rather fruitful. Time is of the essence and Hankyung didn’t want to waste a single second before the prelims had officially started.

 

“Come on! Lets get going. You can stay at my house till we go to Hokkaido.” Hankyung said.

 

“Only if you agree to cook for me. That sea food platter is long overdue and your Beijing fried rice and the steamed dumplings.” Victoria listed out.

 

“You better keep an eye on your fitness young lady! All that grease isn’t gonna evaporate into thin air you know. Kyuhyun needs to be able to lift you up!” he teased.

 

“So you think I’ll become fat? Is that what you’re saying?” she asked.

 

“Please, you two! Stop fighting!” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Ok fine! Just because of Kyuhyun, I am letting you off the hook uncle. Don’t expect me to be so magnanimous the next time you tease me!” she said and got into the car.

 

“Such a diva! Aren’t you coming?” Hankyung asked as he noticed that Kyuhyun hadn’t done packing.

 

“I’ll come after sometime. Don’t worry seonsangnim!” he reassured.

 

“Really? You sure you’re feeling alright?” he asked.

 

“I am. In fact I am in the mood for a bit more of practise. I promise I’ll come home by 9:30” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Ok. It looks like it could rain. Do you have your raincoat with you?”

 

“Yes. I do. Now please stop nagging me and go home already!” he said and Hankyung left in his car with Victoria.

 

I wonder if Siwon would come!

 

He checked his phone again. No messages and absolutely no calls whatsoever. He wondered where Siwon could be right now.

 

Donghae had overslept. He was gonna get ready to see Kyuhyun at the rink this evening but hadn’t heard his alarm going off. He cursed out loud for his clumsiness and got ready.

 

He got in his car and sped off towards the rink. On the way he received a call. It was from Jessica.

 

Tch! What does she want with me now?

 

“Hello Donghae?” she said.

 

“Yes its me. What is it, Jessica?” he asked trying his utmost to remain calm.

 

“I was wondering where Siwon could have gone to. He is neither answering my calls nor replying to my messages. Do you know where he is Donghae?” she asked.

 

“He said he’s going to Busan for a three-day business trip. He might be in an important meeting.” He said as he swerved his car at a turn.

 

“What? He’s in Busan. Well so am I! Ok then! I’ll see if I can contact him.” She said and by the sound of her voice she seemed more than pleased.

 

“You’re in Busan too. Why?” he asked.

 

“I came to see an Endocrinologist that my doctor had suggested for me.” She said.

 

“Oh I see. Well Siwon will be tied up with work related stuff. So don’t be disappointed if you couldn’t catch up with him.” He said.

 

“Um..sure. Thanks. I guess I’ll see you around.” She said and hung up.

 

Now that that’s taken care of, I need to man up and confess!

 

A while later, he was at the rink, dashing inside hoping that Kyuhyun wouldn’t have left. To his good fortune he found him still there skating away to his heart’s content. He stood there transfixed. If there was one word that could describe Kyuhyun at the moment, it was “Perfection”. Donghae being a photographer had had tremendous experience at spotting attractive locales and attractive people. He had a knack of capturing the innate beauty of things with a click of his camera but he was yet to capture Kyuhyun in his most beautiful state. He had had the chance to click a few photos of his but none was close to perfection. And Donghae strives for perfection.

 

God he’s too perfect!

So beautiful….So mesmerising!

 

He went to the rental store and rented a pair of skates. He slid across the ice to where Kyuhyun was practising. For some reason he was unusually bold. Kyuhyun had his back turned towards Donghae and he was skating backwards fully confident that there was no one behind him.

 

And then they collided. Kyuhyun’s back met Donghae’s firm chest and the momentum just made them both spin out of control for a few seconds before both fell on the ground with Kyuhyun on top of Donghae.

 

“Hi there” Donghae said. And that’s when Kyuhyun’s eyes opened.

 

“You look like a fish”

 


 

Well! This is quite an update wasn’t it!?

Would you guys be kind enough to drop your suggestions?

I want an honest opinion from all of you! Do you guys still want me to continue this story? Cos the response has been quite lukewarm lately. If it is so then please do let me know. I’ll see what I can do!

Have a nice day guys!...<3