Of friday night rendezvous and stereotypical male leads

Of Love Story Clichés and the Woman Who Hates Them

"Thank you for scaring away my friend and making him hate me for being the instigator of that horrid blind date" Bom begrudgingly takes her seat at Dara's dining table. It was a friday night and, as per tradition that dates back to the early days of their now nine years of friendship, they spend it together.

"You're welcome." Dara arranges the food she's prepared on the table before taking a seat across Bom's.

"So tell me, what happened to the dashing and intelligent guy I was supposed to meet last night?" Dara loves sarcasm. Bom loves sarcasm when it's not directed at her.

"At your age, one can't really be picky. He can be dashing if you dress him up nicely and every person has a share of intelligence in them you know." Bom says defensively.

"As any sane person, I am allowed to be picky with the who I'd choose to spend time with. I can't be with someone who cares only about himself and would unabashedly brag about it." Dara wrinkles her nose as she remembers how Kwang soo talked about his house, his car, his collections and all the other stuff he can call his.

"Plus he looked like a giraffe. I am not insulting giraffes per se but that Kwang soo person really looked like one."

"I never knew you to be a person who would judge another person's looks." Bom said accusingly.

"I am not judgmental unless that person is so conceited that he'd deserve to be put down a notch."

Bom laughs in agreement now. "I'm sorry but I seriously thought a miracle would happen and you guys would hit it off. I'll find someone better next time. Promise."

Dara sighs "How many times must I tell you to stop setting me up on blind dates. I am fine with how my life is going right now. Someday, somewhere, if fate wills it, then I'd meet that right person for me."

"At least you haven't given up on love." Bom munches on the grilled corn Dara especially made for her. "Pass the butter please."

Dara hands it over to her "No one should give up on love. I'm just not ready yet." she whispers.

"Anyways, you should be more concerned about your love life. You are older than me and although you have a boyfriend, you guys have been together for five years and he still hasn't proposed. Don't you think it's time to drop some hints?" Dara stirs the conversation to Bom's predicament.

"Months! I'm older than you by just a few months!" Bom leans back on her chair and takes a deep breath.

"Seunghyun isn't really the romantic type. I am secure with our relationship. I love him and I know he loves me too. But, I guess just like you, he's not yet ready for the kind of commitment a marriage requires. So, what else is there to do but wait"

The two friends share a sigh of frustration.

"This is just pathetic. Two beautiful girls being all weepy on a friday night is just not right. Let's take our dinner to the living room and watch some movies." Dara suggests.

"As if that's not pathetic at all." Bom said but runs for the living room straightaway leaving Dara to carry the food. "Yah!"

Bom leafs through her stack of DVDs "Which one do you prefer Clueless or When Harry met Sally?"

"Both." Dara places all the food she could carry at the coffee table and settles in with Bom at the couch.

Just another friday night, Dara thought.


"Hyung, when are you planning to propose to Bom-noona?" Junmyeon looks at all the photographs displayed on his cousins work table. Most of the framed photographs are of Seunghyun and Bom chronicling from when they were just friends until present. He takes one long look at a particular picture of three people.

"Do you want to sleep on the streets tonight." the thunderous voice of Seunghyun booms from the kitchen.

Kim Jumnyeon has just returned from studying abroad and is currently staying at his cousin's bachelor pad while he waits for his new condo unit to be ready for occupancy.

"Hyung, all I'm saying is that you've been together for five years not counting the eight years you've spent secretly pinning for Bom-noona's attention."

Seunghyun peeks from the kitchen, "What does a 22-year old fresh graduate like you know about the entanglements of love." he waves his hands as if he was dancing only that he looked really stiff while doing so.

Junmyeon laughs, "Definitely a lot more than a 26-year old bachelor who does not have the courage to marry the love of his life."

"While I, Kim Junmyeon, will brave the throes of love for the heart of a selfish witch." He pumps his hands in the air as if to emphasize his point.

Seunghyun joins him in the living room holding a bowl of fried chicken on one hand and a pack of beer on the other. "I'd let that comment about my relationship pass since you are slightly correct. However, I can't help but ask who is this b*tch you're talking about."

"Watch your language hyung. She may be a witch but she is the love of my life. And, I'm not telling you yet who she is but you'll
know all about it in the near future because I'd probably need your help...and Bom-noona too."

Seunghyun taps him on the chest a little too hard which made Junmyeon cough, "Don't involve my lady love in one of your schemes you fox!"

"Now she is your lady love? Just minutes ago, you admitted that you can't even marry her yet."

Seunghyun just sighs in response. He opens a can of beer and guzzles it down. " love." He whispers.

Junmyeon opens his own can and stares at it contemplatively before drinking it. Tastes like piss. He leans his head on the back of the couch.

Dara dara bright dara, Junmyeon hums in the silence of that living room.

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun smacks him on the head, "Stop humming. It feels like some killer would suddenly pop out of nowhere and murder us."

 

 

(This chapter is more of a filler that I wrote just so I could introduce the BomTop couple. Everyone's going crazy for "BoDong" lately that I just had to include BomTop here to soothe my aching BomTop heart. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ)