Let's Step Back A Bit

Killing and Dealing Are The Names Of The Game

                “I can’t believe you took that job!” Youngjae huffed.

                Himchan shrugged as he and his younger brother and partner in crime walked down the street. It was such a weird feeling to walk along the streets like a normal person when he was a wanted criminal in over 7 countries. One of the perks of never having your face shown to the cameras.

                “Himchan!”

                “What?” Himchan whined in frustration. “You are being silly.”

                “Silly?” Youngjae scoffed. “I’m the one being silly here and not say the person who agreed to assassinate the most notorious drug lord in the Eastern Hemisphere?!”

                Himchan rolled his eyes. He spotted an interesting vendor and stopped to take a look at the wares, knowing how much being ignored irritated his younger brother. He ought to know, it was a trait they shared.

                “How much for the ring with the star engraved in black?” Himchan asked the shop keeper as he pretended to ignore the fuming man behind him.

                Feeling good over the huge deal he had negotiated, Himchan felt like spoiling himself. He indulged his need for the semi-expensive ring and slipped it on immediately, loving the way it fit, as if it was made for him.

                Youngjae was red in the face, hands shaking, when Himchan finally turned around. Himchan sighed and looked at his surroundings to make sure there was no one paying attention to them.

                “Are you trying to say you don’t think I can do it?” Himchan finally answered.

                “No, I’m saying why haven’t you done it already—yes I don’t think you can kill him!” Youngjae shouted.

                Himchan let his peaceful demeanor slip as he let the killer inside of him come to the forefront. His cold gaze was trained on Youngjae while his body tensed, as if preparing for a fight. Even knowing that Himchan wouldn’t actually harm him, Youngjae couldn’t help but gulp as he fought not to step backwards.

                “Is this the appropriate place to be talking about this?” Himchan’s already deep voice, sounded fiercer as he stared his brother down.

                “Where else would we talk about it? At the hotel where people are bound to pay attention to us?”

                Himchan stood there, silently glaring at his brother’s face. “You don’t need to broadcast our profession to the world, understood?”

                “Ye—yes, Himchan.” Youngjae looked down as he scolded himself for letting his voice crack.

                “Good.” Himchan’s body relaxed he has continued his leisurely walk forward down the crowded street. “Now, stay close and I’ll answer your question.”

                Youngjae was already at Himchan’s side, his permanent position since they had left their parents’ house over 10 years prior.

                “We are getting a lot of money from this job and we need it.”

                Youngjae frowned. “There aren’t other jobs you could have taken.”

                Himchan sighed. “Let me finish. We need money because I want to buy us an actual house. I want a place to call home where we can relax instead of staying in hotel rooms in spotty parts of town.”

                “I thought we had money saved up?”

                “We do, but between needing to buy weapons, ammo, plane tickets for two inconspicuously, and your schooling the money slips away.”

                “I am learning useful things…” Youngjae mumbled, his head hanging from guilt.

                Himchan ruffled the younger’s hair. “I know and I want you to keep going. Your chemistry skills are coming in handy.”

                Youngjae smirked, feeling pride build up within him. “The senator had no idea what hit him.”

                “And neither did his security guards which were the more important part.” Himchan looked at Youngjae proudly as the breeze made the younger’s hair flutter. Youngjae was Himchan’s biggest pride in life and the only person who knew anything about him. Youngjae had a few online friends which he had to lie to about what he did besides school but he was still able to talk to them. Himchan though only had Youngjae. Youngjae was his younger brother and best friend, Himchan’s one and only important person in his life and he wasn’t planning on that changing any time soon. He stared at his smart brother who was full of potential.

                “You look almost scarier when you look at me like that.” Youngjae teased when Himchan didn’t react to his question. “I asked how you were planning on getting close to Choi.”

                Himchan blinked and looked back out at the shops. He pulled Youngjae over to a restaurant that had outdoor seating and sat down at a table without people nearby. He crossed his legs as he looked out at the river thinking about Youngjae’s question. “I don’t actually have a plan yet.”

                Youngjae nodded, expecting as much since Himchan had only gotten the job today. “This is our biggest target yet and one of the most heavily guarded ones. It will take a lot of planning.”

                “Do you have your tablet on you so we can get started?”

                Youngjae rolled his eyes. “That’s like asking if you have your gun on you.”

                Himchan smirked as Youngjae pulled his tablet out of his satchel. The brothers scooted their chairs closer together and began to dig into the life of their newest target. By the time the waitress returned with their food the boys were getting frustrated. Finding out about his cover life was easy. The man was a shipping businessman. Definitely could see how that helped his drug business but Himchan doubted that information about his cover would actually help them.  

                After an hour they had only figured out what the man’s family looked like and where he lived. Even with Youngjae’s basic understanding of computer programming and hacking, finding out the name of the contractor who built the man’s mansion had almost been impossible. Not that it had helped though. It appeared that the company had gone under after the owner had committed suicide and burnt his main office to the ground.

                “Suicide… right.” Youngjae groaned as he leaned back. “Finding blue prints is going to be impossible. We might need to attack him when he is outside.”

                Himchan nodded slowly, his thoughts consumed with possible scenarios and all the possible outcomes. “Attacking him outside his home may be just as hard. His security will be more on guard outside but at home he is more relaxed.”

                “What about at his company?”

                Himchan hummed as he took a closer look at the simple building diagram they had. “It will be difficult but we should try getting an actual blueprint for this.”

                Youngjae nodded as he typed himself a note. “No matter what we do this mission is going to be difficult.”

                Himchan sighed as looked back out at the scenery. Watching the people walk by with the river in the background was relaxing him. Once again he thought about how different life would have been if he hadn’t been raised by drug addicts whose thoughts were consumed with where they would get their next high and not what they would put on the table for their two growing boys. Himchan had never been quite book smart, not that he was stupid but, he was better with the musical instruments he could never afford to play than the books he used mostly to block the yells of his crazed parents from his ears. The one thing Himchan had picked up quickly was the ability to sneak into places and stealing. Stealing was easy and was another thing he did under another alias. Killing though gave him a rush like no other and he knew there was no way he would be able to have a normal life. He laughed whenever scouts on the street tried to convince him to become a model.

                No, Himchan was born to be a criminal and he was a damned good one. Somehow he would figure out how to deal with Choi and then he would make himself a home base, a place to relax in between jobs. His dream life would come to him soon; he just needed to figure this job out.

                Just then, something caught his eye and he nudged Youngjae. “That kid looks familiar.”

                Youngjae looked around, he gasped a bit when he saw who Himchan was pointing out. “Isn’t that the Choi boy?”

                “The son of the man I’m going to take out? Without any bodyguards around?”

                Youngjae smiled, his evil intentions clearly shining through. “It’s like my birthday came early.”

                “Let’s go.” Himchan stood up and started casually walking away, not even concerned about not paying for their dinner.

                Youngjae scrabbled to put his tablet away but was quick to follow Himchan. “Plan?”

                Himchan picked up their pace, but not enough to warrant attention. His eyes were trained on his target. He was a tall younger man, taller than Himchan but looked younger than Youngjae, who looked fit, but his loose clothes didn’t show much of his muscle development. Fortunately, the boy was listening to his music through one headphone and wasn’t paying too much attention to his surroundings. They stayed back far enough that it wouldn’t look like they were following the boy as Himchan thought of their move.

                When the younger Choi turned down a busy street Himchan could have smiled. He knew this street from his pickpocketing days. Everyone here was too busy on their phones or talking to one another to notice little things. If they acted quickly and quietly they could get away with anything.

                “Himchan.” Youngjae whispered. “Any ideas yet?”

                Himchan smiled. “Do you have any needles with you?”

                “Of course! And I stole more Propofol from the school labs last week.” Youngjae rummaged around his bag until he pulled out a plain gray case and showed it to Himchan.

                “Ready to be used?”

                “Just need to pull it out.”

                “Good. Run ahead three blocks and you will see a really thin alley. Wait for us at the mouth of the alley.”

                “Understood.” Youngjae ran down the next street and Himchan knew he would find a way to get behind the buildings.

                Himchan knew that Youngjae wouldn’t let him down if he could help it, so he put his trust in the boy. Getting close to the alley which he remembered to have a blind spot thanks to all the bars and clubs around here, Himchan picked up his pace once again to get close to the kid. He pulled up the hood of his jacket as he started a countdown. He inhaled deeply to calm his nerves, the adrenaline already running through his body. Seeing the familiar red sign, Himchan made his move.

                He pushed forward, stumbling and swaying like he was drunk. He was mumbling incoherently before he fell onto the boy, hard.

                “Hey-- what?”

                Himchan continued mumbling, something about alcohol and kittens; even he wasn’t sure what he was saying. All he knew was he needed one more push. The younger man was so confused by Himchan’s presence that he was caught off guard when Himchan pushed him into the alley, stumbling in afterwards.

                “Drunk bastard, how—“

                Himchan let the tall blue haired boy fall to the floor, showing a kneeling Youngjae with a now empty needle in his hands.

                Youngjae looked up at Himchan. “Are you sure no one saw?”

                Himchan laughed. “Obviously no one is here yelling at us, right? Good job being hidden.”

                Youngjae beamed at the praise before shrugging, pretending it didn’t mean anything. “I knew what you were planning.”

                “Of course you did.” Himchan said as he observed the slowly breathing boy. His clothes were good brands even though he wore them big, like a low level gangster. His baby face with clean white skin and delicate long eyelashes didn’t match the clothes or the height of the unconscious boy. Himchan couldn’t stop the frown that appeared on his face as he thought about if they really did have the right guy. He knew they did. They didn’t mess up their targets. But the young man seemed too innocent for Himchan to hurt.

                “Hey, Himchan?”

                “Yeah?” Himchan stopped analyzing the boy to answer his brother.

                “How are we going to get him to the cabin?”

                Himchan’s paused. “Right… we need to take him with us…”

                Youngjae laughed. “We are so used to killing people. When was the last time we took someone back with us to torture and didn’t just torture them on the spot?”

                Himchan’s lips twitched in amusement. “A year at least.”

                “This will be interesting…”

                “No, it’s fine. Call a cab.” Himchan swung one of the boy’s arms around his neck and after placing an arm under his legs he lifted him bridal style. “We need to take our drunken friend home.”

               

                Himchan’s foot tapped impatiently as he watched their captive sit in the chair still unconscious. It wasn’t like they had all night to let the kid sleep. They needed answers and preferably before the owners of this fishing cabin came back for a random fishing trip. He glared at Youngjae. “How long is he supposed to be out?”

                Youngjae shrugged. “It should have only been a few minutes. Maybe he was lulled asleep by the taxi ride.”

                “I’m done waiting.”

                Youngjae watched his brother as he walked out of the room. “What are you doing?”

                “Waking his up.” Himchan walked back in with a metal bucket and began filling it with cold water from the tap. He walked to the freezer and threw a few ice cubes in for good measure before heading into the spare room they had put Zelo in.

                He tossed the water at the young man and watched as he gasped from the impact of the chilly water. Himchan waited a few seconds as his captive regained his consciousness and understood his situation. Seeing him test his chains, Himchan figured it was a good time to gain his attention.

                “Are you awake?” Himchan asked

                The young man slowly tried to lift his head to which Himchan rolled his eyes at. He quickly reached forward to tug the boy’s chin up so that he could look him in the eyes. The eyes were finally focused so he pushed him back roughly. Himchan didn’t have time or reason to think about how much better looking the young man looked awake and dripping wet. No, there was no point letting those thoughts rise to the surface. He took a step back as he tried to measure up his captive, trying to see what his first response would be. Such things were important for determining one’s character.

                 “Wh—what do you want?” His voice came out hoarse, as if he hadn’t had a drink of water in days.

                Himchan tilted his head as he examined quietly. A common response that didn’t give anything away. No threats or pleads for mercy right off the get go. “I want you to tell me everything you know about your father’s business.”

                “Go to hell.”

                Himchan could feel himself smile, somehow satisfied with the answer. “Maybe you should sleep on your answer one more time.”

                “Wh—“

                He swung the heavy bucket at the younger’s head, effectively knocking him out one more time.

                “Aren’t you being too harsh?” Youngjae asked from the kitchen area.

                Himchan shrugged as he entered the room. “Why should it matter if I’m planning on killing him?”

                Youngjae was quiet as he thought about it. “Good point.”

                Himchan returned to the sink to fill up the bucket once more. “Did you want in on this?”

                Youngjae perked up. “You’ll let me help?”

                Himchan chuckled. “It’s about time you gain some more experience. There may be a time I need you to do this.”

                Youngjae tried not to let his smile show but Himchan could tell how happy he was that he was being included. Himchan handed the bucket of frosty water to Youngjae and let his younger brother walk back into the room first.

                “Ah!” Himchan stopped Youngjae from starting. “What’s his name again?”

                Youngjae put the bucket down to run out to his tablet. “It’s Junhong!”

                Himchan nodded. “Okay, you can continue.”

                Youngjae splashed the water onto the already drenched man and then kicked the chair before threating him to wake up.

                The captive lulled his head, taking great effort to try keeping it straight. “How am I supposed to answer your questions in this condition?”

                Himchan’s eyes widened at the question but his face was cold before Junhong was able to open his eyes again. Youngjae looked at Himchan to make the first move.

                Himchan leaned against the wall, the object of indifference. “You better think of a way for your own sake. Now, Junhong Choi, what do you know about your father’s business?”

                Junhong sighed he finally got his head straight and eyes open, although squinting slightly, most likely from the pain to his head. “Why do you want to know?”

                Youngjae snorted. “Obviously so we can kill him.”

                “Jae.” Himchan growled making Youngjae close his mouth and back up.

                “You are going to kill my father?” Himchan turned his gaze back Junhong, surprised to hear how happy he sounded… or was it relieved?

                “That’s the plan…” Himchan said slowly as if the words were heavy in his mouth, uncertain why he was confirming the plan with this boy.

                Junhong laughed. “Why didn’t you tell me that in the first place?”

                “Umm… what?” Youngjae looked at Himchan in confusion, definitely not expecting this reaction.

                “I want to kill my old man too.” Zelo grinned.

                The innocence the young man portrayed was still there for Himchan to see but through the grin he was able to see that that wasn’t the only thing that defined Junhong. There was a ruthlessness hidden behind his eyes that peaked Himchan’s interest. Patricide wasn’t a common crime, not even among criminals, but here Junhong was saying he wanted to do just that and Himchan couldn’t deny how serious the heir sounded.

                “His business practices are getting sloppy and the way he treats his guards and employees is shameful. If you let me go I’ll help you.”

                “I don’t believe you, Junhong Choi.” Himchan said out of habit.

                Junhong shrugged. “We can write up a contract of some sort if it would make you feel better. If you take my father out for me then I’ll pay you. Also, stop calling me by my real name. I go by Zelo.”

                Himchan looked at Youngjae and jerked his head towards Zelo.

                The youngest in the room groaned. “Do we really have to do this again—“

                Youngjae put the bucket down after knocking Zelo out with it. “Was it necessary to knock him out again?”

                “Of course. If he doesn’t need to be awake then he shouldn’t be. Remember that.” Himchan lectured.

                Youngjae sighed. “So, are you going to take the deal?”

                Himchan crossed his arms as he stared at the source of his confusion. “Honestly, I’m not sure… what do you think?”

                Youngjae grinned, happy that Himchan was asking his opinion. “I think we should take it.”

                “Why?” Himchan questioned quickly.

                “Because we could use the extra money.” Youngjae began listing off reasons. “We need to ask for some up front though so if he is lying we at least get some money.”

                Himchan nodded, waiting for Youngjae to continue. He knew his brother was great at thinking about plans and coming up with deals, one of the reasons he wanted to ask his opinion.

                “Also, if he isn’t lying then we get more money and an inside source—the best inside source we could possibly get. He would be the only person to know our faces though.” Youngjae chewed on his bottom lip.

                “But we might also get more jobs from him the future if he needs to outsource.” Himchan said. “And there is nothing that says we can’t kill him later.”

                Youngjae smiled. “Looks like you already made your decision.”

                Himchan walked forward to unchain their prisoner turned guest. “I still wanted your thoughts. We are a team.”

                “Do you need help?” Youngjae asked happily.

                The brothers carried Junhong and the chair he was sitting on out to the kitchen table. They let the chair drop, rocking slightly before it settled, and Zelo slowly began to wake up again. Himchan and Youngjae took their seats on the other side of the table.

                Zelo groaned. “Could we not knock me out anymore? I do need those brain cells if I am planning on running a huge drug syndicate.”

                Youngjae pulled a notebook and a pen out of his satchel and placed them on the table.

                “Let’s make a deal, shall we?” Himchan smiled as his eyes glared at Zelo, promising death upon him if he was to them over.

 

                A few hours later and one successful contract signed later, Himchan was escorting Zelo back home. Youngjae was on his way to their hotel where he was going to start his homework. Zelo was blindfolded so that he wouldn’t know where Himchan and Youngjae had kept him but Himchan also went with him so that nothing happened to him on his way back. If he had been able to kidnap him so easily then anyone could have gotten to him.

                “Will they be suspicious about you getting back so late?” Himchan asked.

                Zelo laughed. “I doubt they will even notice. I stay out a lot and it isn’t like anyone watches me.”

                Himchan frowned, wondering why an heir wasn’t being treated with more respect. There were many factors here that just weren’t adding up. The rest of the taxi ride into the city, Himchan couldn’t help but think about why it was that this son would want to kill his father. Not only that but why he wasn’t already given the position of second in command. He was an adult and Himchan had heard of other gangs passing over the torch at even younger ages, so why wasn’t Zelo being treated the same?

                Soon the taxi came to a halt in front of a mansion. The two criminals stepped out of the car after Zelo paid for the cab. Zelo eyed Himchan curiously but Himchan didn’t make a move until after the taxi left. He walked towards Zelo until the tall boy was leaning against the cast iron gate.

                “Look here rich kid,” Zelo scoffed, but Himchan continued on unaffected. “I know that the little contract we made doesn’t count for much. There isn’t a criminal’s court I can go to in order to turn you in. If anything it only helps me get you if I’ve been arrested already.”

                Zelo smirked. “And here I thought the younger one was the smart one. Looks like you aren’t bad yourself.”

                Himchan glared, his expression making Zelo lose some of his confidence even though they were outside of his house full of armed thugs. “I can’t afford for this little deal to go south.  I don’t want Jae getting hurt and I especially don’t want people to know who we are. We work best in secret and I plan on keeping it that way. This deal may not mean much to you, kid, but I am trusting you with a lot here brat because this job is important to me.”

                Zelo had a neutral expression, giving away none of his feelings, as he gently pushed Himchan off of him. “Trust me; I need this as much as you.”


A/N: What do you guys think? Interested? 

I wasn't planning on taking this angle with the Himlo request but I kind of like it now ^_^