to hear you.

Strays
Please log in to read the full chapter

Minseok wasn’t sure what was happening the past days in his life. Everything seemed to roll the same way yet something was so damn different which, even if he tried so hard, he could not pin point it. But it was obvious that it had become such a distracting thing that often, Minseok would find himself stuck staring into empty space with nothing in particular in mind.

He wasn’t of the people to plainly stared. He wasn’t of those people who would be absent-minded and who would drop their work or task just to day dream—he was way too hard-working for that. So, when Minseok found himself doing what he hadn’t done even when he was a young boy, he couldn’t but feel out of place.

And what irritated him the most was the fact that he wasn’t only staring, his brain would also stop working and the time would pass until the point that, without even knowing, he would be late for whatever. He was late to his University; after spending already 3 years of his life in there, it was the first time that he was late for a class. He was late for errands put on him by his father; he would never let any essay unwritten even if it was due the next month. But he had, somehow, forgotten about a project which was due and he had written not even a single word for. He hadn’t attended the weekly meeting at his father’s company; in so many years, it was the first time his father was so disappointed from his attitude.

And above all, he forgot the weekend’s dinner, lying that he was almost there where, in fact, he was already wearing pajamas at home.

He felt like he had started to lose his mind. And he couldn’t believe that he would turn into an insane person before he found out the reason behind it all.

The next week started and, after putting 6 alarms for every passing minute, Minseok was so glad to be on time at the University. It felt kind of weird to be so relieved when he had always been of the first students to pass the entrance for a couple years already.

He couldn’t really believe what was that sudden change in him, how he had become someone he would have never dreamed of. But, thankfully, his cell phone’s calendar now held every announcement and when it was time for him to be somewhere soon, his phone would ring and inform him about it.

He fought his forgetfulness like that.

At the end of the day, it wasn’t such a bad idea and Minseok knew that he would return back to his usual self once this weird phase would end.

So when he would sit in class every day, he would concentrate hard in the subjects, often slapping his cheeks lightly whenever he caught himself waver into day-dreamland of plain nothingness.

“Minseok.”

Minseok’s head snapped up from his notebook, his hand stopping in mid-sentence as he looked around the big classroom. Every student his age was writing down everything the teacher had mentioned just now and no one, whatsoever, was looking at him. He couldn’t pin point where the sound came from so he looked at the teacher at the head of the class, currently explaining something written on the blackboard.

Weird.

He shrugged to himself, looking back at the notebook and resuming his writing. He didn’t go that far down the page when he heard his name being called again.

“Minseok.”

Looking up once more, he frowned in search of whoever had been calling him. But, the scenery around him was pretty much the same; students staring at their notebooks and writing furiously, the teacher explaining another formula.

Taking in a deep breath, he slapped lightly his cheek, bringing himself back to reality. Come on… Concentrate, Minseok!

Gazing back down at the notebook, he didn’t finish writing a character when he heard his name again. This time, however, it was his full name.

“Kim Minseok.”

Only then did Minseok register the tone of the voice; it was so familiar yet so unknown to him at the same time. He looked around quickly, deciding to catch anyone but the scenery didn’t change at all. He frowned to himself, his eyes falling on the wood of his desk in confusion.

“Kim Minseok…”

The voice was so soft and at the same time so perfect that Minseok’s brain’s gears started rolling slowly. The tone was so light, it felt as if it was a feeling of a feather falling onto your skin. The voice’s person must have been perfect because his voice alone was out of this world.

“Come to me…”

Minseok’s saliva was caught in his throat, throwing him into a coughing fit. His hands grabbed onto the desk’s wood, his eyes tearing up and widen at the same time. His heart beat so fast in his chest and his thoughts had become a mess. He pulled in frantic breaths as he tried to save himself from choking and let out the last one in a form of an endless sigh.

“Kim Minseok? Are you alright?”

This voice was different, it was too harsh for his liking. He wanted the soft one to call his name again.

I’m insane.

Minseok’s eyes widened as he looked up and faced the numerous students staring at him; some in curiosity, some in worry. And then, it was his teacher who also showed signs of concern.

“Can I… go to the bathroom?” he croaked and the elder man nodded, showing the door with his long stick as if to support his words.

Minseok didn’t waste time; in a couple seconds he was wandering down the spacious hallways with unsteady legs that carried him to the closest bathroom. His heart was beating do hard in his chest that he worried he would faint from high blood pressure soon enough. Or maybe from way too much blood sent to his brain.

He made his way steadily to the washroom, stepping to stand in front of the mirror and support his weight against the sink with his arms.

The voice…

That soft voice…

He had heard it when no one was calling for him. When no one was there to own such a soft and sweet voice. When no one seemed to hear it except him.

And a part of him liked the honey-covered voice to call his name. It sounded so nice coming from it. But… the request..? Was it also his imagination..?

I’m really insane.

Minseok looked at his reflection, he looked so pale. But he couldn’t see anything else than that and his wide, scared eyes.

As if his brain wanted to , it repeated the request.

Come to me

To where? To whom?

And most above all, why and how?

Was it that his brain was playing games on him? Because he couldn’t have heard something which had obviously come from it.

Or was his brain repeating a previous sentence he had heard before..?

As if on instinct, written words flashed in front of his eyes, the scribbled messy letters writing what he had heard just now in his brain; Come to me.

Reviving the memory, his eyes widened more at the fact that he had heard the words which were originally written on a piece of paper.

By Luhan.

Am I really this crazy?

His brain had taken the authority to answer the question positively but nonetheless, as much weird as he found this whole situation he was found in, a part of him felt a sense of familiarity.

As if the words gave him a reassurance he could not get otherwise. As if his body wanted to listen to an imaginary request f

Please log in to read the full chapter