Walnut Head.

I,who was heartless.

 

 

                                              

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBIvhPUseaM


 

“You can sit over there.” Said the teacher while pointing into the only empty seat. Of course, the one next to mine.

My eyes widened. At that moment my heart started to beat faster. He walked toward his seat. He was getting closer and closer to it. Walking while looking at his shoes.

Please don’t look at me. Please. Please.

With that last prayer, I raised my head and that’s when I cursed myself for doing so. My eyes directly met his. These soft eyes I missed so much.

I couldn’t take it any longer so I turned my head covering my right side with my hair. That was childish I know. I should have acted like I didn’t care but the thing is...I actually cared.

“Since it’s your first day, we won’t study today. I also have some things to organize in my office so I would like you to keep calm while I’m away.”

“Yes, teacher.” They all answered at the same time.

When the door closed, I felt another ball of paper hitting my head.

“What is it this time?”

“What’s your relationship with this guy?” He said while pointing at Jae Jin.

I could feel that my face had reddened so I abruptly took his hand and brought it back to his table.

“There’s no relationship between us. I don’t even know him.”

He stared at me. His glare telling me that he knows it all.

“The way you had reacted when he entered and when I asked you this simple question doesn’t show that there’s nothing.”

I was caught.

“What does that have to do with you anyway? I don’t even know your name.” I said while turning back.

I felt his finger nudging me so I had to turn to face him once again.

“I’m Kim Jongin.” He said while smiling.

I had to admit it, his smile was cute.

“You finally asked for my name. So what is...”

“I didn’t ask for anything!”

“You can deny it as much as you want.”

“What? Are you deaf? I said that I didn’t know it. I didn’t ask for it.”

“Really? I thought that it was a way to ask for it. Like you know indirectly.” He winked.

I couldn’t respond. This guy was weird. I stayed there looking at him with widened eyes. He suddenly started to laugh.

“You are so easy to tease.”

What?

“I mean look at your face.”

So he was making fun of me?

I turned back and laid on my hand once again.

“Yah. I was only joking you know?”

I didn’t respond.

“Are you mad? Like seriously?

I heard him getting up from his seat. He was now facing me.

“I didn’t mean anything bad.”

I closed my eyes not caring.

“So you are serious.”

Silence.

“I’m sorry okay?”

I slightly opened them to see his reaction but didn’t answer.

“Huh?”

I busted into laughter. I couldn’t take it any longer.

“Got you!”

“Is that your revenge? Seriously? I thought that you real did get mad.”

“You should have seen your face.” I said while sticking out my tongue out.

“It must have been as funny as yours earlier.”

He stuck his tongue out and went back to his seat.

“So what is your name?”

“I’m Kim Hyo Jin.”

“Nice to meet you.”

He was tending his hand at me. Should I shake it? Would it be okay to make a new  friend? Can I trust him? I stared blankly at his fingers that were about to curl up because of my late reply. Before he could retire his hand, I shook it and smiled.

“Nice to meet you too.”

If we really do become friends, I hope that I won’t regret it.

I don’t know how it happened but we basically stood there, each one of us facing the window waiting for something interesting to happen in the corridor. Nothing.

“Did anyone tell you that you were so cute?”

“Oh my God! You are exactly my type!”

Who were these girls talking to? Their voices were so close. Should I just turn head? Wait, what if it’s Jae Jin? I would seem so desperate.

“Jae Jin-ah! Why are you looking over there? Do you know that girl?” I’m sure that she was talking about me. I could feel her finger pointing at me, slowly piercing my back.

“What? How would I know her?”

“Right, our oppa wouldn’t know that low class. Our oppa deserves the best of the best.”

Our oppa? Disgusting. Why would you call someone you just met oppa? And since when was Jaejin a guy who wasted his time talking to desperate girls?

Wait. Jae Jin just denied very single second we spent together. Everything. He erased everything. Was I dreaming during the time I spent with him? Then why was he looking at me? When I first heard it, it’s true, my heart fluttered a bit. But he just had to crush my tiny hope.

My eyes got teary. I was about to cry. Fighting the tears, I tried to swallow them but he had to do it.

Kim Jongin had to make me explode and cry.

No one could have seen my teary eyes. I was the only one facing the window with both of my head sides and cheeks covered by my straight strands of hair. Breathing in and out, I was sure that I could swallow back the tears to my heart’s entrance.

However, at that precise moment, Kim Jongin came to me and put his headphone on my head, making me listen to a song he had previously played. At that time, every effort I made to not cry went in vain. Jongin’s comforting smile while leaving left a big impression on me.

He just helped me out and went back to his sit. He didn’t want me to listen to the rest of the conversation. He knew that something between us was up. He knew that I was hurting at that time.

Thinking about it, I cried a little more. This time because I was happy that someone was beside me.

Kim Jongin was.