001

Unexpected
 

The breeze came through the window to greet Nam Soon's reddened cheeks. His eyes were darted to the school field as there was a class having physical lesson there. The last lesson, History, did not interested him much, so he rested his chin on a hand and close his eyes to savour the cool breeze.

 

He did not like the school since the tragedy happened, but for his own sake, he needed school. The tragedy was barely forgotten by most of the students, but not him. He tried not to recall the past, but the shadow greeted him earlier.

 

"President."

 

Nam Soon slightly opened his eyes to have his teacher standing in front of his desk. He looked at her cluelessly and to his shocked, all eyes were on him as if he had done a crime. His eyes quickly searched for the vice president at the front row. She - the vice president shot a gazed - signalling him of his task. Nam Soon's lips formed an 'O' and lazily stood up. He thanked the teacher and his classmates did the same. He packed his things quickly as he smelt trouble coming by, but luck was not on his side.

 

"What you're doing?" Song Ha Gyeong, the vice president spoke. She folded her hands against her chest and stomped her right foot. Nam Soon did not bother to look and continued packing his stuff.

 

"What do you mean?" His eyes were still on his stuffs as he took out a pair of headphone then hung it around his neck.

 

"Hey, I'm talking about what just happened!" Ha Gyeong raised her voice, but just then she felt a cool breeze blowing past her - messing her hair and blowing at her hands. She fixed her hair then held up her hand near her little face and breathed out the heat to keep herself warm.

 

Nam Soon's heart ticked as he watched Ha Gyeong heated herself. He grabbed her hand and rubbed them to his to produce the heat. He then breathed out the heat and kept rubbing their hands together since Ha Gyeong's hands were cold as ice.

 

"I'm sorry, okay? I'll be extra alert next time. There." Nam Soon stuck Ha Gyeong's hands in her uniform's pocket.

 

Why you're being nice to me...?

 

The words echoed while he gazed into her eyes.

 

"If I'm not, who else, Miss Vice President? Keep them warm or you'll get a cold." He mumbled and she gave him a startle look.

 

"Thanks." Ha Gyeong broke the silence and left Nam Soon's desk. Nam Soon gave her a knowing look, but she did not bother to look.

 

"He shouldn't know about it." Ha Gyeong mummbled as she sat at her place to pack her stuffs, but her hands were hesitated to touch the stuffs on her desk.

 

Go easy, girl....

 

Ha Gyeong bit her lip and whispered, "why did you interupt me while I'm talking to him?"

 

What? You can hear me?

 

The voice sounded panic. Ha Gyeong smirked then chuckle, "more than hear, I can see you, ghost."

 

The shade slowly began to appear into a solid figure. His face and body was full of bruises and his clothes had stains of blood. Ha Gyeong was hinted that the so-called 'ghost' was a student, which he dressed in school uniform.

 

"Hello," he greeted her with a creepy grin at his bruise lips.

 

"Hi." Ha Gyeong greeted the 'ghost' as all her classmates left the classroom.

 

"So you're not afraid of me?" The ghost figure lied on the teacher's desk - a leg been raised up on the desk - and raised his eyebrow. Ha Gyeong shrugged then gave a 'why-should-I' look in reply.

 

-----

 

He read her mind.

 

He read Ha Gyeong's thoughts.

 

The power he was gifted since little.

 

The power that had him in trouble for quite some time.

 

The power that caused the tragedy.

 

He never told anyone about his power because he was afraid that the tragedy would happen again, so he kept for himself.

 

Nam Soon shrugged then plunged his ears with the headphone and directed the hallway. He smiled merrily as he had read Ha Gyeong's mind for the first time. For the first time ever, he heard compliments from her.

 

He hadn't thought where to go, so he followed his feet that stepped into the town of skyscrappers and ended up on a bridge in the middle of the town. He stepped on the bridge that witnessed the last date he had with his late-girlfriend before she comitted suicide because of his power. He recalled the last date they had that made him ended up in tears.

 

Her late-girlfriend - Ha Gyeong's younger twin sister - Ha Young was opposite of her. She was lovely, easy-going and sporty unlike her older grumpy, creepy and scary twin. They were exactly different from most twin sisters. But none of her personality interested him. He was now regretted for what had happened to her because he had never treated her nicely. He was an awful boyfriend for her.

 

----

 

"Nam Soon, let's break up." She phrased the words and plastered a calm smile at her lips. He was not shocked, but what made him curious was - what made her thought about breaking up? He had never seen her giving up of gaining his attention to her and she had successfully provoked him to be her boyfriend even though he was not one of the ideal boyfriend every girl had dreamt. He still remember her confession to him - 'Nam Soon, I love you. Can you be my boyfriend? You don't need to always be by my side, just let me be the one staying by your side.' - and that was why he ended up accepting to be her boyfriend. He was amazed by her hardwork.

 

"You said that you'll stay with me even it was tough. Why do you want to break up out of the blue?"

 

Ha Young's eyes began to heat. She held her tears and plastered a force smile. "I'm tired of it, Nam Soon."

 

He didn't want to believe her. He can't believe her because she had never mentioned the word 'tired' in front of him. There must be an exact reason of why she had been thinking of breaking up. 

 

"You lied. Please tell me the exact reason." Nam Soon asked in disbelief. He clenched a fist quietly.

 

Ha Young held a hand to shed her tears that began to roll. She leaned to Nam Soon, burying her face in his neck and tugged the end of Nam Soon's shirt. "Please, Nam Soon. I'm tired..." Nam Soon held her by the shoulders and he can feel his shirt was getting wet due to her tears. She shove his hand then left Nam Soon cluelessly on the bridge. Her steps echoed and Nam Soon could hear her mind. 

 

Sorry, Nam Soon..

 

Nam Soon tried to deal with his unfathomable thoughts and feelings on his own. It was difficult, when he hardly understood what was causing the shudder in his chest or the sting of tears in his eyes. Every time he felt a crying spell come on, he felt hopelessly terrified and confused. He didn't know why he was crying. When he attempted to understand his feelings, it only made him cry harder. Nam Soon had always been strong-willed and focused, but the loss of physical and emotional control scared the hell out of him. He wanted to pull himself out of the darkness consuming him, but he just couldn't rationalize his thoughts or fears, no matter how hard he tried.

 

-----

 

Nam Soon had nothing to do and he didn't feel about hanging out with his friends, so he strolled around the town with his must-headphone to plugged his ears from other sounds. As he was struggling from the crowd of workers, he heard footsteps. Lonely footsteps....

 

His eyes widened then made a turn. He saw no one but just a breeze blowing past. He was sure that he heard footsteps. Nam Soon took his headphone off his head then crossed his hands and stomped a foot. "Stop following me around."

 

You can see me?

 

Nam Soon curled a smirk. "Do you think so?" He asked in reply of the voice then rolled his eyes.

 

I don't think so... But you could hear me?

 

"Yah, it's too obvious, right? I guess I can't see any of you anymore." Nam Soon pouted then turned around on his track. He then sighed as he walked forward.

 

Why 'anymore'...? You can see us?

 

"Used to. But not now. So, you want me to treat you coffee or something?"

 

Huh? Coffee...?

 

Nam Soon shrugged then hung the headphone to his neck. "Teenager-ghosts like you always wanted me to treat them coffee, so yeah, I thought you too."

 

Yeah.. Sure...

 

"Ok, let's go!" Nam Soon raised his voice a bit. If he raised his voice a bit more, people would think him crazy because he was talking to a ghost? No one would believe.