The Act

Heartstrings {Hiatus}

The next day, Kenji was waiting outside Himiko's house. "Why were you so slow?"

"Sorry. I was just-..."

"Never mind. I'll just make sure you'll pay for making me wait."

"What?!"

Well, it works again. And there goes that devilish smirk blooming again on his lips. He just really knows how to tease and get what he wants. "Let's go?"

They arrived in front of the biggest mall in Tokyo which is owned by Kenji's family and is currently managed by him. "What are we doing here?"

Kenji didn't answer her question but just smiled at her instead. The mall was still open but there's no customer or people around, only the two of them and the salesladies. "Aren't your mall closing at 8? Why isn't there any people already?"

"Didn't you liked it?"

"Wait, don't tell me that you-..."

And Kenji just shrug his shoulders and smiled naughtily gesturing that whatever she's thinking right now is absolutely right. "There's only the two of us now, so what do you want to do first?"

Though Himiko couldn't still believe, she can't help but feel happy and greatful that she couldn't hide her blush. "Shopping maybe."

First, they went shopping. Fitting every clothe lthey liked. Then bought popcorns to eat while watching movie. Taking pictures once in a while to keep as a memory. They rode on the ferris wheel that's installed outside the mall.

"Do you wanna eat dinner now?"

"Hmm...Do you know any great restaurant here that can cook the best food for me?"

"There is."

And when they arrived at last and top floor of the mall. "This isn't a restaurant, it's the rooftop."

"I know."

"Then what are we doing here? I thought we're going to eat."

"Yeah, just close you eyes."

"What?"

"Just close it."

Though Himiko is still wondering, she still did as she was told. She closed her eyes and Kenji opened the door to the rooftop. "You can open your eyes." Kenji told her. And as she does, lots of bright lights met her eyes. She dropped her jaw in surprise. It's more unbelievable than earlier. It's a candle-light dinner for two under the moon. Her happiness right now is unexplainable. It couldn't be expressed in just a smile or a simple 'Thank you'. This is the date that any girl would want to have and here she is experiencing it.

"Did you like it?" Kenji asked as he pull the chair for Himiko.

She smiled and nodded her head. And then they enjoyed eating the special foods prepared for just the two of them. Most are Himiko's favorite food. And after eating they just decided to stare at the view below. Streets of Tokyo is still busy busy even at night but it didn't bother them as long as they're with each other. It was so silent hearing only the breeze of cold air and not until Kenji's cellphone rang. *RING* "Hello."

"Uh..Sir, sorry but we have an urgent meeting." The girl on the other line probably his secretary says. 

"So? Cancel it or anything I don't care. I'm not going. I have an appointment right now much more important that whatever meeting is that."

"But Sir-..."

Kenji immediately put off his cellphone before his secretary could even continue. 

"It's your secretary right? Is there any problem?"

"Nothing. There's just a meeting and I don't wanna go so never mind."

"Why? It's a meeting and it's important so you should go."

"Are you serious? We're on a middle of a date and you want me to leave?"

"It's not like that but it's about business and you can't sacrifice that just for me. Don't worry I understand, okay? You should go now."

Kenji just sighed in defeat. He just couldn't stand it when it's Himiko who's asking him to do something. "Okay. But I need to get your payment before I go." And without warning, he pulled her closer to him and lifted her chin, looked at her eyes for three seconds and closed that tiny gap between there lips.

- - -

"8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..Okay that's enough for the day. Be ready for next week's practicum."

The trainees' Dance Instructor said to them as they were dismissed for today's training. Just before Shun could put a foot out of the room, the Instructor called him back.

"I know you've been having hard time being a trainee. And I believe on your talent. Just don't give up and keep practicing, 'kay?" Then he patted Donghae's shoulder to show his support and Donghae nodded on him.

- - -

"So how was your date?" Yuna asked curiously.

Though she doesn't actually want to hear it because it hurts, she has no choice but to do so. And besides, she knows that her best friend wants to talk about it. And there she is listening to her best friend's story telling. Himiko told her about what they did, how happy she was that time like she's the only girl in the world. How she appreciates the effort Kenji did just for her. They had fun and she enjoyed the time she had with her boyfriend even in a short period of time.

"And you know what happened after our date?" Himiko continued on her story with a cheerful smile on her face.

"What?"

"He kissed me."

- - -

Yuna paused from walking when she passed by the Dance Studio which is four rooms away from the Photography Club Room. There's just something that caught her eyes inside the room through the transparent glass that is attached to the door. She slightly opened the door to see it clearly. Shun was dancing in front of a big mirror attached to the walls of the studio. He stopped dancing when he saw a unexpected figure through the mirror. He turned around to look at Yuna who was standing by the door.

"Uh...Uhm, did I disturbed you?"

Yuna asked awkwardly when they both realized that they were both caught off guard. Shun held his nape before answering. "Not really." Yuna came in before Shun could invite her to.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have a practice with the soccer team?"

"We just finished practicing." Yuna just nodded at Shun's answer while walking towards the big mirror.

"Can I stay here for a while?"

Shun chuckled at her question. Literally because the Dance Studio isn't his and he's also not part of the Dance Club so there's no need to ask for permission.

But he still said, "Sure.", though.

Yuna on the other hand just smiled at her weird question and sat down on the floor and leaned her back on the mirror behind her. Shun followed her and sat beside her.

"What were you practicing?"

"Honestly, I'm having a hard time catching up with the steps for the weekend's practicum. Everybody's busy on there own stuff so I decided to practice here alone."

"It's hard being a trainee, huh?"

"Very hard." He emphasized.

He grabbed a bottle of water beside him and drunk into it & was secretly looking at yuna at the corner of his eye. He placed his arms above his knees while closing the bottle of water.

"Did anyone told you that you're such a good actress? I think you really deserve a 'Best Actress Award'." He said on a joking manner.

Yuna tilted her head to look at Shun.

"What?" She asked while chuckling.

"About the 'dating' thing."

"You mean Kenji and Himiko?" He nodded in response.

"You heard?"

" *CHUCKLES* How am I not going to hear it? You're just seating next to me, remember?...."

He paused for a while before asking the next question on his mind, hesitating if he should ask it or not. He wasn't sure about Yuna's reaction would be. But he wants to know how she feels. He knows that she needs someone to talk to. Yuna has been carrying this secret for a long time by herself, alone. And now that Shun already knew about it, he couldn't just let her keep everything to herself. No one ever knows so no one cares. But him, he knows so he cares.

"Are you okay?" He finally asked it.

Yuna didn't react differently to the question, unlike what Shun was thinking.  She embraced her knees instead before answering.

"If I say I'm okay, would you believe me?"

"No."

" *CHUCKLED SADLY* Because it would be stupid if I say that I'm okay even if I'm not. Its kinda odd having the feeling of happy and hurt at the same time. But I'm used to it. I 'should' be used to it." She corrected herself.

"Because she's my best friend and-..."

"You couldn't just bear to let them know about your secret." Shun continued for her.

And she just nodded gesturing that Shun was right.

"Yeah, I think I really deserve an award. *CHUCKLES* Then, would you mind joining me in this 'act' and win the 'Best Supporting Actor Award'?"

Yes, it has been an 'act'.

A great play of pretense.

Acting like it was always okay and normal.

Pretending that it doesn't hurt and doesn't care.

And ever since that day Shun found out about her secret, he was already part of the act. The thought was funny though it was a bit weird. They just ended up laughing together. They were both caught off guards when the door opened.

"H-Himiko..."

Yuna mumbled as the smile gradually faded from her lips and saw her best friend enter the studio.

"Erm...We were having a meeting with the Club Facilitators for the coming School Festival. I was looking for Matsumoto-senpai, I thought he would be here practicing. Have you seen him?"

The two looked at each other before shrugging there shoulders.

"No." Yuna answered directly.

"Okay. I'll be going then."

- - -

"What are you doing here?"

"Nothing, I just don't have anything to do at home. I'm bored." Himiko sat down beside Yuna.

"So, tell me, are you two going out?"

"Eh?"

Yuna was completely clueless about what her best friend was talking about.

"Psh...Don't deny it. I saw you. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Eh??"

Two times clueless than earlier.

"Psshh...You and Miyazaki are going out, don't you? We're best friends and I didn't even know about that. How come you didn't tell me? You're making me sad."

"What??"

"Yuna, you don't have to keep it from me. It's okay if you and Miyazaki are going out. There's nothing wrong about that."

"But we're not going out."

"Oh, really?"

"We're just friends."

"Okay, I'll just pretend that I believe you even if I don't. Is this some what kind of showbiz or something? That 'We're-just-friends' thing. So how can you explain what I saw in the Dance Studio? You two sitting next to each other inside the studio, alone, laughing and acting like a...lover?"

Yuna paused for a while when she starts to recall what were they exactly doing that time.

"I just accidentally saw him dancing inside the studio. I was curious so I asked him and we got into a story telling about him being a trainee."

"That's all?"

Yuna paused again because the questions were making her a bit guilty.

It wasn't a lie.

But her answer was just a part of what really happened and what they really talked about. She couldn't possibly tell her what really happened, could she?

"Yeah. and that's the time you came."

"Okay, I believe you...for now. But I really think that Miyazaki likes you. He's a nice guy, handsome and talented. Why don't you go out with him?"

"I would if he would ask me out. But he didn't and he wouldn't [I think] because were just friends so don't assume for it, okay?"

Then suddenly Himiko's attention was diverted to another thing and totally forgot about the dating thing she was talking about earlier. Thanks to Yuna's manga that she saw above the mini table.

"Oh my god! You have this?"

"Yeah."

"This is the latest volume! Why didn't you tell me you already have it?"

"I didn't know you want that."

"Where did you bought this?"

"At the mall."

"Let's go to the mall and buy it!" Himiko exclaimed as she drag her best friend out of the room.

"What?! Right now?!"

"Yes, right now." Himiko insistently said. And all Yuna could do is sigh. Well, it's better this way being dragged out to a place than being interrogated with questions that you don't know how to answer.

- - -

The next morning, Yuna was having breakfast with father and mother.

"Dear, here's your bento. Be sure to eat all of it, okay? You could share it with Himiko-chan if you want to." Yuna's mother told her as she wraps the bento.

"Arigatou Okaa-san. Uh...Is there any excess food left?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Uhm, Can I have another bento?"

"For whom?" Her mother inquired.

"Uhm...Nothing, I just thought that sharing my bento with Himiko wouldn't ne enough as you know her. Being piggy when it comes to food." [Yeah, what an excuse?]

"Okay."

Luckily, her mother believed her. Well, maybe it was just like that. Making excuses and white lies is much easier when you're already used to it.

- - -

Dacing to the rhythm, step by step, taking the right timing to turn. Glide to the right, pop, pop and make a good ending pose.

*CLAPS*

"What can you say?" Shun asked Yuna who was apprently sitting in front of him leaning on the on the mirror watching him practice his dance steps for the weekend's practicum.

"Hmm, You're already a great dancer just a bit more emotion and timing would already do."

"Thanks. What are you doing here by the way?"

"Nothing, I just don't have anything to do in the club room and I thought that maybe you haven't eaten your lunch yet so..."

Shun sat across her as she gets her thing out of her bag.

"Tada~!"

"What's that?"

"Bento."

"Yeah, I know. But why is there two bento?"

"One for you and one for me. I just thought that you might over work yourself in practicing and forget about eating."

A shy smile bloomed on Shun's lips. "You really don't have to, but thank you."

"Ittadakimasu!" They both said in unison.

While eating, Shun secretly looked at Yuna as if observing her, thinking how beautiful she is and how Yuna makes her happy in her little ways.

"Why?"

"Uh...Nothing. The food was delicious."

"My mom cooked it so it should be delicious." Yuna said proudly.

Unknown to there knowledge, Himiko was standing outside the studio's door and watching over them. "Yeah, they're just friends." Himiko told herself ironically. But she was caught off guard when Kenji saw her. "What are you doing there?"

"Oh my! Ssshhh.." She said in shock gesturing that he should keep quiet. Kenji raised his eyebrow in confusion and looked inside the studio to find out himself why Himiko wants him to keep quiet. And seeing Yuna and Shun happily eating together made his eyes turn into sad look. Of course, Himiko didn't fail to notice. "You okay?"

"Eh? Y-Yes." He stuttered. "Tss. Just leave them alone you eavesdropper." Kenji continued as he held Himiko's hand and drag her together with him to completely leave Yuna and Shun alone.