Red Mugs; Two

Red Mugs

Luhan shuffled down the snow covered parking lot towards the warmly lit convenience store.  The dreaded moment of having to pull out his hand from his pocket to push open the frigid metal door, came and went.  Soon enough, Luhan found himself strolling through the small aisles with only one item on his mind.  After roaming around for a while and not finding the seeked sweets, Luhan frowned and looked up over the short shelves.  

"Hello?" he called out tentatively.  He swiveled around on his toes to get a view of the entire store. He seemed to be the only person inside of the store.  "Hellooo?" he called out again, stuffing his hands deeper in his coat pockets.

"Oh? Huh?" Luhan's head snapped towards the front of the store as a voice entered his ears.  There was nobody to be seen, but Luhan had definitely heard somebody respond. "Ah, ow ow," somebody whined right after a thud was heard.  A boy popped out from under the front counter, nursing the top of his head. "Ahhhh," he met Luhan's gaze.  

Luhan eyed the droopy eyed boy curiously.  His hair was dark brown and swept over to the side, covering an eye.  He seemed drowsy and dazed, swaying in his spot from side to side. "Did you call?" he asked Luhan.  Luhan nodded and tried to control his facial expressions.

"Do you have any, um, marshmallows?"  Luhan slowly made his way to the employee.  His eyes swept over the name tag on the boy's shirt.  It read Lay. 

"Marshmallows?" Lay asked, angling his head slightly to the side.  

"Yes, marshmallows.  You know,"  Luhan began to explain himself.  He felt the need to go into furthur detail seeing as Lay seemed quite bewildered. "those fluffy, sweet pillow-like things.  You put them in hot chocolate or put them on a stick and hold them over a fire..."  Luhan trailed off, and scrutinized Lay's expression hoping his description had been enough to make the young employee remember.

Lay's expression changed at a blinding speed.  His eyes and mouth formed flawless circles, and he waved his fingers in the air. "Oh! Oh! I know what you're talking about!"  Lay leapt over the counter, completely forgetting about the flap to the side.  Luhan was startled and he found himself backing away and almost stumbling onto the ground.  Lay moved swiftly to the back of the store and disappeared through a STAFF ONLY door.  Luhan froze in his spot, gripping onto a shelf for support.

The droopy-eyed boy was back in no time with three boxes stacked in his arms.  "I forgot to stock them.  Thanks for reminding me," he said to Luhan, his words muffled by the wall of boxes.   

"Uh, yeah sure. No problem,"  Luhan answered uncertainly.  As soon as Lay restocked the marshmallows and retreated back to his spot behind the cash register, Luhan swiped two bags of pink marshmallows. He walked back to the front counter and placed the bags in front of Lay.

"Oh, hello.  Good thing I stocked the marshmallows before you got here," Lay said cheerfully.  Luhan was too stunned to reply.