Between The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea

A Series of Supernatural (EXO-M) One Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[South China Sea, Song Dynasty - 960AD]

I was taken by the chief of our small little town to make me one of his concubines. It started when he was making rounds house by house for the census. Then he saw me, when I was still a child holding onto my mother's skirt. He started bringing 'gifts' for us, then on my tenth birthday, he asked my hand in marriage. I refused, I would never marry a erted old man. My father said that we'd rather starve to death than to give up his little princess to an evil leader. The chief wasn't happy with my decision, he made my family suffer. Cutting the prices of our farmed products and banning us to buy necessities in the public market. He also accused my father as a thief, ordered public execution using *lingchi method. They said it was an 'accident'. It wasn't. The fire that burned our hut down to ashes was never an accident. I wish I was burned with it. 

After the traumatizing event, I never spoke to anyone. The apothecary and doctors said that it was due to the shock and they haven't find a cure for my 'illness'. One time I heard the chief talking to his comrades that it would be useless if he won't hear me scream his name, so he'll postpone the honeymoon until I'm cured. The truth is that I just don't want to speak and I learned how not to make a sound escape my lips. I also forgot how to smile or laugh and even my voice. But unfortunately, I accidentally screamed when I fell downstairs. Good news for them, not for me.

Now, I'm sitting in front of a mirror in his house letting his servants bathe me, dress me up, paint colors on my face to prepare me for the hellish wedding with a devil. Like marinating a pig before roasting. I feel dirty even just stepping a foot in his place. I begged them to just kill me, but they wouldn't. It doesn't matter anyway, I'm already dead inside. I have nothing anymore, I have nothing to lose. The joyful girl inside me has died long ago with the fire. Crying every night won't do me good.

 

 

I suggested to have a house near the beach which they already set a voyage to the South Sea. Although, tonight I'm planning to jump off the terrace to water and drown. At least I can die with dignity, it's the only thing I won't let him take it away from me.

When everyone's asleep, I sneaked out and climbed on the cliff. I'm standing on the edge, my knees are shaking. I took a deep breath.

I've been wanting to die for days, what am I waiting for? This is the only freedom that I can attain.

I started crying, the wind amplifies my muffled whimpers as I weep. I tried to make it as soundless as possible, but I've been keeping to to myself and it just erupted before I knew it. Then I heard a beautiful melancholic melody. It must be the wind singing with my sorrows. I closed my eyes and let it lure me to the waters when I fell off the cliff. I saw a glimpse of a figure. A person with a fish tail, jiāorén.

 

I woke up the next day in my room, they changed my clothes.

Was it all just a dream? No, it can't be. It's so real. Why am I still alive? Right. The merperson saved me, but why?

I tiptoed and listen to their chattering.

"So it was real then? The mermaid?" The old chief said

"Yes, chief. I think it's them who saved your wife."

Wife? It's disgusting to be called that. I have a name of my own.

"Ha! Then we have to capture that mermaid! It will bring wealth to me! I heard that they weave special silk and their tears turns to pearls!"

"But sir, catching a jiāorén might bring storm and bad luck."

"Just shut your mouth! We can use the mermaid and I heard that in Japan, consuming a mermaid flesh can gain me immortality. Ready the traps and catch me a mermaid!"

"But--"

"No buts! Or do you want me to kill

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter