Ten.

Soul Mates, Strings and All Your Little Things.

A/N: Hello Lovelies. Before I start, sorry for the extremely late update, college is a drag so I am sorry. I'll try to update this regularly, in the mean time, I started my first EXO fic to help me get over my writers block on this story, if you want to check it out i'll shamelessly advertise it here, if you dont, that's absolutely fine. It's 6:30am so sorry for not proof reading this, and apologies that its short and.. not the best. i tried. anyway, happy reading, thank you for staying with me so far! <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though the heating was a setting high enough to burn the soles of feet crossing the floor, the blonde still felt goose bumps decorate his arms as he dipped his hands into the foamy sink of the apartment’s kitchen; letting the warm water surround his arms whilst his body unconsciously shivered. Even since before their engagement, Jonghyun had kind of indirectly moved in with Kibum, spending the majority of his week in the small building and only a few days at home, without informing his parents or brothers. Being away from ‘home’ didn’t really bother Jonghyun; in fact, he was grateful to be away from all of Jinki’s obnoxious parties and his parent’s constant ‘meetings’ informing the family that they would be hosting dinners with the families they had met on holiday. The fact that Jonghyun’s father’s wife still wanted to introduce the family still confused him but he ignored it; heck, she even invited Kibum to meet the girls so her intentions could only mean well as far as she’d proved. Other than Taemin and Minho, the rest of the boy’s families had no realisation that Jonghyun and Kibum had got engaged, (even if Kibum did flash his decorated hand around) and until they felt comfortable, they intended to keep in that way. In reality, even Taemin wasn’t supposed to know but it didn’t surprise the two that he’d found out immediately after the proposal had happened.

Lightly brushing the foamy bubbles away from his fingers and towards the corners of the warm metal, Jonghyun reached over for another pan to clean, shivering slightly from the cold in the room.

Having Taemin around was more fun for Jonghyun than words could describe. The boy’s personality was as bright as his hair and with a maturity level the same as the blonde male, it was impossible for the two to not get along, so when Taemin had told him he wanted to skip school so he could wedding plan with the elder, Jonghyun couldn’t resist saying yes, since having Taemin around also meant he wouldn’t be alone in the apartment.

“Hyung!” Taemin called as he skipped towards the kitchen, orange fringe tied in a small bun as he used one hand to hop himself up onto the kitchen counter, the other holding an open magazine designed specifically for wedding planning.

Taemin had taken it upon himself to spend the afternoon picking out what he thought would look best at the elders’ wedding. Although the boys didn’t actually intend on getting married any time soon, Taemin still believed that it was utter nonsense, trying everything he could to push the wedding forward since he knew that in reality Jonghyun had no excuses; it’s not like he couldn’t afford it.

“Hyung look.” Taemin started, turning the book around and holding it towards his chest so he could look down on it. Jonghyun who was absentmindedly washing the dishes, turned his attention towards the red-head, placing the pan in the sink as the bubbles fell from his hands, and onto the floor.

“Isn’t this nice?” Taemin smiled brightly, his delicate fingers pointing towards a blue, pinstriped tuxedo fixed with brogues and a matching hat. Safe to say, Jonghyun’s face was the definition of unimpressed.

“Taemin we’re not mobsters, surely you’re not serious...” Jonghyun replied carefully, raising a brow to the boy who pouted in displeasure, before breaking out into another smile and turning the page.

“Okay so what about this one? I like the reds and golds, and if you look here it’s got a-“

“Taemin that’s a dress.” Jonghyun interrupted before Taemin could advertise the garment more.

“Yeah… But, hyung, don’t you think it’d look good as a suit?”

“Taemin, it’s Chinese..”

“Yeah.. but…”

Jonghyun raised a brow, waiting for Taemin’s response but only receiving a defeated look from the boy who once again flipped the page, his fingers to separate them as he did so.

“Okay fine, but what about his one! You have to admit this is nice right?!”

With a forced smile, Jonghyun nodded carefully as he took gentle steps towards the boy because damn they needed to turn the floor heating down. As much as Jonghyun enjoyed Taemin’s enthusiasm, a pinstripe suit, Chinese dress and floral shirts weren’t the exact idea of a picture perfect wedding to Jonghyun. Although it wasn’t his preference, Jonghyun still wanted Taemin involved, (he had chosen an amazing venue already) and this meant he didn’t want to dishearten the boy. With a bright idea, Jonghyun snapped his head up, removing the book from Taemin’s hands to place it on the side before grabbing the boy’s shoulders.

“Taemin I have a great idea!”

Sensing Jonghyun’s enthusiasm and excitement, Taemin eagerly looked up to the blonde.

“Let’s play a game Tae; so… I’ll pick a colour, and you have to find as many suits in that colour as you can okay? No dresses, no.. Patterns… Just suits okay?”

Taemin wasn’t dumb, but in reality the boy was undeniably gullible and easily excitable, so with a bright smile and a nod so violent it forced his tied fringe to shake, Taemin hopped off the counter, grabbing his magazine.

“Sure hyung! What colour do you choose?”

Without hesitation, Jonghyun smiled before responding, “White.”

And Taemin went with it.

“Okay Hyung, that sounds good!” The slim red-head yelled cheerfully; running back towards the sofa to collect his magazines before spreading them onto the coffee table, eager to find the perfect white suit. Upon his search, Taemin turned his head to hear a faint call of his name from the kitchen, greeted by the blonde’s figure holding a spoon in one hand; chopsticks in the other.

“Keep your eye out for a pink one too Tae. Not bright pink, just subtle. Like baby pink, you know?”

 

 ----------------------------

 

As the bitter winds carelessly nipped at every inch of his exposed face, the tall student pulled his hood up on his jacket, wrapping the garment closer to his body as he headed towards the small, disused park on the corner of the town.

Unsure as to why he had a sudden sour attitude, the student decided to blame a mixture of three things. The weather, his sports and his ‘friends’. These three piled together created a huge weight upon the student’s shoulders and so at half one in the afternoon; end of lunch period and beginning of fifth class, Minho decided to ditch school and hang out in the park, agreeing with himself that this was a much better idea than wrestling with his anger for the rest of the afternoon.

As he walked across the slowly whitening grass, the brunette felt the soft stems crunch between his feet, giving his face some form of hidden emotion as he felt a soft smile graze his lips, causing him to squint his eyes to protect himself from the cold further.

Snow was not common in Seoul. Minho had lived there all his nineteen years of life and he was sure he’d only seen snow twice. Once when he was a younger teen, and once when he was a baby. (Only remembering the last one from family pictures that were currently decorating the fridge.)

Minho enjoyed the snow; he thought it was fun, and strangely beautiful. He was the kind of person that would stand for hours, staring up at the sky and ignoring the cold just so he wouldn’t miss a moment. The snow was rare, he could at least enjoy it whilst it lasted. But when there wasn’t snow, there was sun. And when there was sun, there was soccer. This was another thing annoying Minho, his currently cancelled soccer practice due to weather conditions. As a soccer fanatic, Minho had told the other players to ‘man up’ in the hopes that they would play through the season, but his hopes fell short when his coach agreed to end the sport for the winter, and so Minho would have to anticipate the spring and dislike the winter season once more.

Dragging his feet towards the iced over bench, Minho turned his head towards the swings, anticipating whether or not he’d rather take his place there until his sight caught vision of a frozen figure huddled on one of the old chained tires; the males long legs crossed in an act of warmth as frozen water began to crystalize his dark blonde locks.

Minho knew it was a person he’d been trying to avoid, but maybe for once he could make amends with someone, rather than sitting in the cold; feeling sorry for himself.

Minho’s relationship with his former, close friend had taken a sudden downfall after the summer. When their studies got more intense, the boys began to see less and less of each other and only at the end of the first term back did rumours begin to spread.

Neither of the boys knew who started the rumours, but they knew that they were cruel and unpleasant, and so the two thought it best to just avoid each other; ignore each other and then the rumours would stop as soon as they started. Unfortunately for the boys, the school’s students apparently had nothing better to do and so the rumours kept up until they got worse and worse, causing an all-out verbal war between the two boys and their groups of friends and that’s where they ended their friendship.

In Minho’s eyes, it was a pure waste. He didn’t actually want to fall out the boy; he had a heart of gold and he was one of Minho’s closest friends. But since the outburst they had avoided each other completely.

Minho didn’t want that; he never wanted that.

Maybe his conscience was telling him that it didn’t have to be that way, since he found his body unconsciously moving closer towards the boy, alone in the park.

With slow steps, the brunette kept his head down, his hood falling further over his face until he reached the old tire swing set, carefully holding onto one of the frozen chains as he effortlessly placed himself on the seat. Minho wasn’t one for greeting people; it was obvious the other boy had sensed his presence; Minho could see him watching him from the corner of his eye but for some reason it took him a minute; he was hesitant to speak first and maybe he felt guilt over what had become of their friendship. Carefully removing the hood from his head, Minho pulled down his scarf, revealing his mouth as he dared to face the younger boy beside him. With a small smile, Minho swallowed his pride, watching the winter wind lace his words with smoked ice as he spoke.

“Hey Kai…”

With a frozen expression, the younger boy pulled his leather jacket closer to his body, forcing himself not to shiver as he dared to respond.

“H-hey.”

 

-------------------------

 

In the over-bearing warmth of the apartment, Taemin stood on his tip-toes, watching over the short blonde’s shoulder as he eyed the onion balancing carelessly on a wooden chopping board, a knife rested at its side.

“Are you sure Taemin?” Jonghyun asked confused, feeling the red-head nod behind him as he avoided the steam that was currently rising from the pot and masking his face.

“Yes I’m sure! At least, I think so?”

“That’s not good enough Tae-“

“Okay I’m sure, just get on with it!” The younger male replied mild aggressively, watching Jonghyun’s back tense in a laugh as the stocky male chopped the onion in half down the middle, throwing it straight into the boiling pot along with a few chillies before closing the clear lid. With mixed expressions, the two boys watched as the large onion floated to the surface, decorating the food.

“…I still think we should have cut it more..” Jonghyun admitted, slightly moving Taemin out of the way to remove his apron as the slim red-head moved to get a better view of the pot.

“No… I think it will be okay.” Taemin replied unsure, “Anyway I was thinking that-“ Taemin started, interrupted by a quiet shut of the door that caught his attention as the more feline blonde entered the home, hanging up his coat and shaking the ice from his hair.

“Hey hyung!” Taemin announced, greeting his brother with a small hug before running back towards the kitchen counter, ready to show him what he had found during his time off school, completely ignoring Kibum’s complaints as to why he wasn’t actually there already.

Jonghyun who had heard Taemin’s greeting also made his way towards the door, a bright smile decorating his face as he intended to greet the boy all the same, only to earn a hard expression in response.

“Hey… Um, are you okay?” Jonghyun asked genuinely concerned, only to receive a simple nod from Kibum who mumbled about how he would ‘be in his room’ before completely ignoring the elder; removing his shoes and heading towards their currently shared bedroom. Kibum wasn’t sure what it was but as Woohyun’s words played in his head like a broken record, seeing his lover’s happy face just caused his stomach to churn in an unfriendly way. Kibum knew Woohyun’s words were lies; he knew the boy was just being a brat and so he would just brush it off as a headache, keep his anger to himself until the morning and then he’d pretend like nothing happened.

Jonghyun didn’t have to know.

On the other hand, the shorter blonde stood there dumbfounded, unsure of what to do until the Taemin skipped over, still clasping his magazine with a slight pout before bending down to Jonghyun’s level.

“I guess he didn’t want to talk huh? Must be a rough day..” He smiled, patting Jonghyun’s golden locks before dragging the male by his arm to the sofa. “Anyway, come with me, I think I found the most perfect suit, you’re just going to love it!

 

------------------------------------------