Past Issues

Waltz in Sorrow

 

Waltz in C Sharp Minor Op.64

 

The next day, at school, Yuri and Mi Rae decided to ignore each other. There was only a year left and they were going to take different paths. However, teacher Wu had different plans. It became obvious that he had a soft spot for Mi Rae and the group of girls started to take sides. Most of them chose Mi Rae since she had a better reputation than Yuri.

The rest of the week went like that. Her father didn’t come home and she was a little worried. Siwon assured her that President Kang was very scary when it came to business. He knew what he was doing and he wasn’t going to place himself in danger.

On the other side, she quite enjoyed the closeness between her and Siwon. She started to tell him everything about anything but he wasn’t as talkative as her. He opened up more towards her and Min Jun, but not enough. He wasn’t telling them personal information. That was bugging her but she wasn’t going to destroy their small relationship for such details.

The whole chaos begun that weekend. Since she didn’t have anything planned, she called Suzy and asked her to hang out at the mall, like they used to. Suzy was trying really hard to deny the invitation but in the end, she accepted. They met around lunch and went on a shopping spree. Coincidentally, they met teacher Wu in one of the stores. Suzy was a little reluctant to how close he was to Mi Rae. He was asking her personal question and Mi Rae wasn’t very happy to respond to them. After they left, Suzy turned to her friend.

“Are you sure there is nothing going on between you and teacher Wu?” Mi Rae raised one eyebrow and groaned.

“Yes. I don’t know why he is so close to me. I never did anything to make him think that I like him” Suzy rubbed her chin thoughtfully.

“But he does. Maybe you should confront him. Tell him how much trouble he causes and that he should stop. That should work well” Mi Rae bit the inside of her cheek and nodded. That might have been a good idea.

But it wasn’t. The next Monday, she asked him to meet her after classes. That day was flying by too fast. She didn’t know what to expect and she was scared that he wasn’t going to stop. In no time, she found herself all alone with her teacher, in an empty classroom.

“Look, I know you are handsome and girls fawn over you” He chuckled but didn’t deny. She rolled her eyes at his modesty and continued. “Even from the first day, I caught your eye. I know that”

“Then you should know what the next step is” She blinked confusedly. He chuckled and walked closer to her. He caressed her left cheek and pulled her closer. She squirmed and pushed him away.

“No. There is no next step. I don’t know if this is a game for you or just your way of getting girls but I don’t like you romantically” He furrowed his eyebrows and grabbed her wrist harshly.

“Is that a no to an adventure, Mi Rae?” She squirmed and tried to free her hand. He was quite strong for such a fragile looking man. “Too bad. You have already been chosen” She frowned.

His words, his tone, his body language were all hints to what he actually wanted from her.

He had been nice, careful, flirty and even worried, only to get her in his bed. She narrowed her eyes at him and did what her father taught her to: fight back. With quite a scholarly skill, she retracted her hand, pulling him closer in the process. She raised her leg and kicked him hard in the stomach. He stumbled and let her go.

She wasn’t a girl who would get scared easily but she was surprised by his behavior. She didn’t know what to do so she ran. She called Joon Myeon and told him what happened. He was ready to go and kill his English teacher. He had the skill to do it quietly.

At home, she went straight into her room and into her personal bathroom. She felt dirty. The feel of his hands were still on her and she could still smell his cologne. It was sickening. She showered twice, just in case. After she dressed in her pajamas, she tucked herself safely in her blanket. She curled into a ball and started to think about her mother again. That was the only way she could calm down.

“Mi Rae? Are you alright?” She heard him knocking a few times on her door but she didn’t respond. “Are you going to open the door or should I break it down?” She chuckled.

He was probably going to do what he said. She was scared what would happen if she were to remain without a door to lock at night. Therefore, she grabbed the blanket and went to unlock the door. She wasn’t crying but her eyes were sore. He hurried inside and took a moment to inspect her.

“What happened?” She shrugged and walked back to her bed. He followed her closely. “Is it about that girl problem again?” She nodded.

“Let’s say that the situation evolved” His eyes narrowed and he grabbed her arm. He pulled her out of the blanket and studied her face.

“You’re scared” She shook her head furiously and tried to free her arm. His grip tightened and she groaned. “Who scared you?”

“No one” She mumbled and started to fidget. She was nervous and his strong gaze was making her feel small. 

“It doesn’t matter. I know already. He’s been watching you all this time” She raised an eyebrow and leaned back into the softness of her blanket.

“And you didn’t do anything” He glared at her.

“Of course not. I can’t go and kill whoever seems suspect” She scoffed and turned her back to him. She was tired and she needed to sleep. He could find the door by his own.

 

The next morning was no different than the rest. Joon Myeon wasn’t there to save her from the awkwardness. In the moment she entered the classroom, Suzy waved at her happily.

“How did it work?” It was a subject that interested many. They had to whisper about it or they would get caught. It didn’t matter what kind of high school was, gossips were spreading quickly everywhere.

“Bad. He tried to force himself on me” Suzy gasped loudly. Mi Rae tried to cover it up with another subject. Yuri was cautiously watching from her desk.

“Did you tell the principal about it?” She shook her head. That was a little too much. She had no evidence and her family was already known as being troublemakers. Min Jun was enough for one city.

“No. I don’t care what happens, truthfully” Suzy stared at her friend worriedly. That wasn’t exactly how a girl was supposed to act in such situations.

 

At lunch, Mi Rae was forced to sit at the same table with Yuri. The two ignored each other the whole time, until Joon Myeon walked into the cafeteria. He grabbed Mi Rae and dragged her into the hall. She furrowed her eyebrows confusedly. Joon Myeon was usually a calm guy. He was rarely in a hurry.

“Go home” She raised an eyebrow and pushed his hand away. She had already been grabbed for more than enough times.

“Give me a good reason for that” Joon Myeon was looking anywhere but into her eyes. He was sweating and he was rubbing his hands together. He was scared and nervous. It worried Mi Rae since it was the first time she had seen him acting like that.

“Listen to me. There has been a commotion and someone died” Her eyes widened. She took a step closer to her friend and tried to touch his shoulder. He pushed her away harshly. “Go home, Mi Rae”

The young teenage girl saw enough and heard enough about deaths and mafia related commotions. She was used to it and she was ready to handle such a situation. She didn’t budge from her place.

“Is it about my family or yours?” Joon Myeon gritted his teeth and rubbed his eyes.

“Yours. Now please, leave” Surprisingly, he grabbed her books and put them on the windowsill. “There is a car outside. It belongs to my family. The driver will give you a ride home” She sighed. Joon Myeon was that kind of guy who didn’t accept a negative response. He was very persuasive. She had no choice but leave.

 

When she got home, she went around looking for her bodyguard. He was nowhere in sight. She called him several times but it went directly to voice mail. She sighed and went into her room.

A few hours later, her father came home. He had a smile plastered on his face which meant his business went smoothly. Min Jun arrived home a few minutes after his father. Siwon wasn’t with him. He got a ride from Joon Myeon as well. Mi Rae was growing suspicious.

“Dad, have you talked to Siwon today?” Her father looked up from his magazine and stared at her blankly.

“No. I haven’t talked to him at all these past few days. His job gravitates around you and Min Jun. I can’t take care of myself” Her father thought she was worried about him. He thought she was finally going to accept her fate and the title of a mafia leader. Unfortunately, she wasn’t exactly interested in his life. She was worried for Joon Myeon.

It was around half past 10 o’clock at night and Siwon wasn’t home. Joon Myeon didn’t call Mi Rae at all. She was supposed to be in her room and learn for her math test but she didn’t feel like it. She walked into the living room and sat beside her father. Min Jun was in the room as well, eating and watching the news feed. She shook her head, bemusedly. Min Jun was so different than kids his age.

Overall, it was a rare view. The family was, for once, at home, in the same room. It looked and it felt nice.

 

We have breaking news. Last night, around midnight, the passer byes heard shooting noise around the Southwest part of Gangnam Area. The police inspected the noise and it has been confirmed that a young man, in his mid twenties, has been shot.

The news themselves weren’t life changing. When the picture of that young unfortunate soul appeared on the screen, Mi Rae gasped.

His name is Wu Yi Fan. He was a teacher at Gangnam High School. The police don’t know exactly what happened and there hasn’t been found any fingerprints. The culprit remains a mystery. We will return to this case when we will have new information.

Mi Rae’s eyes widened throughout the whole news. She knew something must have happened for Joon Myeon to be so alarmed but she definitely didn’t expect something like that.

“Isn’t that your teacher, noona?” She glanced at her father and started to play with her necklace. She didn’t know what to do. She couldn’t possibly tell her father. She didn’t know who killed her teacher.

“He got himself in a lot of trouble if he ended up dead” Mi Rae tried to look indifferent. Her father started to talk about the risks of getting in trouble with the underground mafia and he started to explain why his family wasn’t involved with the lower classes. Mi Rae rolled her eyes. Her father was such a hypocrite.