TolBom Hospital

Waltz in Sorrow

                      

Gramophone Waltz

 

As Mi Rae was preparing herself spiritually, so was the hospital staff. They knew she was going to make quite an appearance and scare the interns away. They had opinions on what approach she was going to use.

“I’m sure she will scare them with her attitude. She can be evil sometimes” Park Chanyeol chuckled and hit his friend. “Did you see how mad she got when the police came and questioned the legibility of our contracts? She almost killed them with her stare”

“I don’t think so. She wouldn’t stare at them for long. She can figure out their potential in a few seconds”

Ji Eun was the balance between Chanyeol and Kris. While the boys were skeptical regarding the new interns and their boss’ reputation, Ji Eun didn’t care.

Despite what most people thought about the young therapist, Ji Eun was a woman who didn’t care for much in life. If she were to die the next day, she wouldn’t mound or pity her sad life. She never cared about girly accessories or fashion; but she wasn’t a tomboy either. It was complicated to characterize Song Ji Eun.  

“I still think she will end up beating one of them. Have you even seen their faces?” Chanyeol turned to Kris and raised an eyebrow. “Have you seen your team, yet?” Kris shook his head.

He was partially scared to see the pupils. He wasn’t known as a patient person. His lifestyle wasn’t a good example either. There were 60% chances for him to die of cancer and he was perfectly fine with it.

Chanyeol was, probably, the nicest medic in that hospital. He seemed to have a joyful life and the patients loved him. He was always neat and respectful. He looked a little weird but handsome nonetheless. His face and personality were always attracting attention, but in a good way.

“I hope she will scare them away and leave us alone. I don’t need to babysit four interns”

Perfection was hard to achieve. Park Chanyeol wasn’t perfect, unfortunately. The real emergency doctor was a prodigy with personality issues. He hated how high were the expectations put on his shoulders and he gave up on everyone who ever believed he was worth more. He wanted to keep his life simple yet people were always making it complicated. That was why he had only a handful of friends. Three of them were working with him and one was his boss.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, but the interns are here”

The three department heads turned in synch. There were three groups with four members each. Ji Eun and Chanyeol sighed heavily. On the other side, Kris smirked evilly and straightened his posture.

“Let’s scare them away” Chanyeol chuckled and high fived his friend. They were all in their mid twenties yet they were acting like teenagers.

 

“Have you seen them?”

Every intern was curious about their leader. They knew about the most important doctors in the hospital. They were scared of their high expectations. TolBom Hospital was popular, especially for its doctors. Their schedule was hectic but somehow, they were always fresh and happy.

The three groups were excited.  They were wondering who their leader was going to be. However, something was missing. They were supposed to be 16 yet they were only 14. Two cadets were missing the entrance ceremony.

“I hope I’m not with the surgeon. I heard he has some nasty habits” There were both girls and boys, but mostly boys.

“I hope I’m with the head of the emergency room” Most girls wanted there. Chanyeol had his own fan club already.

There was one person who didn’t seem excited to be there. He was anxious that his friend wasn’t going to make it in time.

“Where are you, Chen?” Byun Baekhyun was scared that his flat mate was going to be fired before he even got hired.  He was rubbing his hands together and pacing through the hall.

“Is there something wrong?” Baekhyun’s head turned quickly to the side.

He faced a pair of wide and worried eyes. The guy was rather small and skinny. However, he looked pretty good in his intern uniform. It made him look smart and responsible. Baekhyun couldn’t exactly say the same thing about him. Truthfully, he didn’t know how he got the chance to work as an intern in TolBom. He didn’t finish his studies and he hasn’t been the best student in school.

Baekhyun stared at the smaller guy. He blinked a few times before he threw his arms in the air. It made the other take a few steps back.

“My friend! He woke up before me and got ready but he isn’t here yet. How can that be possible?” The other guy, the smart Do Kyung Soo, tried to sympathize with Baekhyun.

“Maybe he got caught into traffic” Baekhyun rolled his eyes and sighed dramatically.

“We live in the same place. How did I manage to come here on time and he is still stuck in traffic?” Kyungsoo shrugged. There was a slight possibility that his bus was faster than his friend’s.

“Who’s your leader?” Baekhyun didn’t seem to understand Kyungsoo’s question. It made the smaller guy cough uncomfortably. “I mean your group’s leader” Baekhyun’s mouth opened into a round O.

“I didn’t check” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He expected that response. He grabbed the taller guy and dragged him to the panel. He checked the groups and found out that they were on the same team, under doctor Park Chanyeol. There were two more names. None indicated Chen’s.

“I guess your friend is not in our group, huh?” He saw Baekhyun’s face drop suddenly and figured the reason on his own. Baekhyun looked for Chen’s name. There were three doctors with four interns. But from what he knew, there had to be another doctor.

“Where is he?” He was worried. They got their acceptance letters together so he knew that Chen’s name had to appear on the panel. “Kim Jong Dae, Kim Jong Dae” His eyes were inspecting the paper closely.

“I found him” Baekhyun’s head turned quickly to his colleague. His eyes followed Kyungsoo’s finger on a different list. “He’s in the group with Oh Sehun, Lau Henry and Kim Hyuna. Their leader is Doctor Kang Mi Rae”

“Kang Mi Rae? Isn’t she the director?” Both boys turned their heard in synch to the intruder. It was a woman who seemed to be younger than both of them. That was intriguing. She looked like she knew who she was talking about. They had no idea.

“Who are you?” She excused herself and bowed in respect.

“My name is Kim Hyuna. It seems I am in director’s team” She smiled cutely and blinked innocently. Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and tried to figure what was so weird at her. Maybe because she was so happy and nice; or maybe because she didn’t seem very smart; anyway, something was off.   

“Do you know what they say about the director?” The three interns got interrupted by two new faces.

Baekhyun wondered what was happening with all those people. He was sure he didn’t have anything written on his forehead. Yet, they were crowding around him.

“They say she is the devil” One of the new guys rolled his eyes. That was only a theory based on nothing but rumors.

“I doubt that, Sehun. My stupid cousin has a lot of time on his hands. He doesn’t seem stressed at all” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow and leaned against Baekhyun. 

“Your cousin? He works here?” The newbie nodded and pointed towards the front desk. There was a guy who looked completely disinterested in what was happening around him. He had four interns around him; four innocent souls who looked horrified.

“That’s my cousin, Kris. He’s the head of the surgical department, somehow” The two boys looked similar. The only problem was that Kris looked paler. “I’m Henry, by the way. It seems we have found our team” “Not really. Kim Jong Dae’s missing. Besides, our leader isn’t here either” Baekhyun was getting nervous. If what the team was implying was correct, Chen had to keep his mouth shut around his boss.