Tooth for Tooth

Waltz in Sorrow

“What the heck happened today?” Mi Rae wasn’t happy with the outcome. She went directly home-the big home- and dragged Joon Myeon with her. The lawyer was sleeping on his feet. He was very tired. He had three new cases to present in front of the judge.

“Boss, it’s Woobin’s fault. He’s messing with us. He’s trying to get our land” Mi Rae’s eyebrow was twitching.

“Remember what I told you, Kwang Seok?” The man shook his head. Mi Rae sighed and rubbed her forehead. “Our land doesn’t exist. It’s only a matter of childish games. There is no contract that says that place is ours or theirs”

“But boss, they attacked us. They attacked one of the kids” Mi Rae’s expression darkened. Kwang Seok took a step back when he saw her eyes. They were cold. It felt like watching into the depths of Hell.

“Then I have to do the same, don’t I?”

 

Later that night, Chen and Baekhyun decided to go out to karaoke with a few friends. Those few friends were actually their teams. While the girls were happy and excited, the boys were questioning their decision.

“Why is Henry here?” Baekhyun was not happy to have that demon around. He looked handsome and innocent yet they knew the truth.

“He is in my team” Baekhyun sighed defeated and started to talk about something different.

They got pretty quickly to the place. They got even faster into the karaoke room. There were a lot of people there that night. They were lucky to get the last available room.

 

On the other side, Mi Rae instructed her men to catch one of the young members of Woobin’s family. She was dead serious and it was scary. She wasn’t necessarily intimidating but she gave off a strong feeling.

She got to Sinchon quickly and cornered the young guy. His hands were tied behind his back and he already had scratches on his face. They definitely beat him a little before she came.

She walked closer to him and grabbed his chin. She forced him to look up into her eyes. He was pretty short.

“You tell Woobin that if he wants something, he should first come to me. If he attacks my men, then I will attack his. It’s only right if he gets one of mine in hospital, I will send one of his the same route” The boy had some guts. He glared at her and spit her. Thankfully, she moved out of the way just in time. However, he got a serious kick into the ribs. She still wore heels.

“You’re trash. Your whole family is nothing but trash. Woobin will get you out of the picture soon” She bit her lip and blinked innocently. She looked innocent. However, her right leg moved closer to his and she stepped on his foot. The pressure from the heel was strong. She was pressing hard. It reached skin and more. She stopped when she saw him unconsciously cry in pain.

“If you don’t go to hospital, you will get an infection. But then again, maybe I should make it easier for you, right?” The boy didn’t understand until she told them to take his shoes away. He was left barefoot, with one foot in terrible pain.

They were ready to leave when she turned for one last time.

“The closest hospital is TolBom. Don’t even think to enter it or you are going to die in an accident” The boy nodded quickly and limped away.

“We should go boss. Tomorrow you have to go to work” She nodded.

 

“Hey guys, I have to call someone. I’ll be right back!” Chen was trying to be heard over the speakers. No one minded him. They were absorbed by the songs. He rolled his eyes and walked out the building.

He was indeed ready to call a person whom he hadn’t talked to in a while. Ever since he moved to Seoul, they decided to break up. The real reason why he and his girlfriend continued their relationship after an event was because he felt worried. He was worried that she would leave out of nowhere, like someone else. They broke up and blamed it on distance but they both knew the real reason. He wanted to keep his promise.

“Promise you’ll find me”

Chen sighed. He forgot her name, unfortunately. He was curious if she returned to Seoul and how did she look like. She was such an intriguing girl in the past. He was curious what kind of life she was living.

While moving around, searching for her contact number, he caught something from the corner of his eye. It was a black car that was parked right across the street. He saw a young boy, maybe in high school, limping away. He was barefoot. He would have gone and helped him if he wouldn’t have seen the person who walked out from the same alley.

“Mi Rae?” He squinted a little, to catch a better sight. It was indeed his boss. Behind her were three sturdy guys in suits. She was dressed in the same clothes she came to work in. However, she was different. She looked empty; soulless.

Unfortunately, he was staring quite visibly. One of the men saw him and informed Mi Rae. The four persons turned and looked in his direction. She was across the street, but her eyes sent shivers down his spine. He forgot about the phone call and hurried back inside.

“Tomorrow is going to be awful”

 

The next day was indeed awful. However, it wasn’t because of Mi Rae. They suddenly got a handful of new patients in the ER and Baekhyun’s team was overwhelmed. They were running around like bugs. Chanyeol  had to take care of the scary patients whom he moved in the back.

“They think we are bad people, don’t they?” Jin was amused. He had seen a few young doctors and nurses look their way. They weren’t scared but they were curious. Maybe too curious.

“I prefer to stay here with the dangerous and intriguing patients than be out there in the wild” Chanyeol was readying peacefully on a chair. The three men looked at each other and started to laugh.

“You are such a weird guy. The head of ER is actually skipping work?” He rolled his eyes but didn’t move them off the book. “What does your boss say?” He smirked.

“My boss is the one who made me department head. ER is mine to do whatever I want with” Jin watched the younger man for a few more seconds until he chuckled and went to sleep.

 

“I can’t move my legs” Baekhyun was very tired. More than tired, actually. He felt like his soul would leave his body and go rest in peace, somewhere. His teammates weren’t far from that either. Kyungsoo tapped his friend on the shoulder and told him to make room for him.

“It’s hard to be on duty when there are so many sudden cases” Baekhyun sighed and leaned his head back. He closed his eyes and tried to catch a few moments of sleep.

“Are you already tired, cadet?” He opened one eye to look who was the intruder. He didn’t know the face well.

“It’s been busy this morning” The unknown person chuckled evilly and placed his hands into the pockets of his gown.

“I assure you, there will be even more mornings like this. You should restock on energy drinks, newbie. You won’t have a life outside of this hospital” He winked and left. Baekhyun remained dumbstruck.

“You do know who that was, right?” One of the girls asked him. He shook his head.

“Kris. He’s the best surgeon here and he’s the head of the surgical department. He is one of the Big Three” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo looked at the girl questioningly. She sighed and decided to explain the bases of TolBom. “There are three big doctors in this hospital. One is the ER head, Park Chanyeol. He’s our boss. He is very well known and liked. If you say something bad about him, the whole hospital will become your enemy” Baekhyun’s face paled.

“There’s Kris Wu, head of surgical department. He is the rebel of the hospital. His methods are a little unorthodox but he never lost a patient” The other girl continued. “His life outside the hospital is a mystery. Rumors say that he was in a gang before he became a surgeon here”

“And there’s the head of the therapy department, Song Ji Eun. She is a true lady but something always seems off. Maybe because she is a psychologist. Whenever she looks at you, she just analyzes you and tells you exactly what are your flaws” Kyungsoo rubbed his chin.

“What about Director Kang?” The girls gasped.

“She is the most mysterious person in this hospital. She is the creator of TolBom but she doesn’t do much. Except paperwork, she doesn’t really take cases. She is the boss so I think she doesn’t know much about medicine. She probably finished business and started a hospital line”

“I don’t think so”

Baekhyun  read all the 54 case files in her office and he was pretty sure that a quarter of them were diagnosed by Mi Rae. Also, he saw a medical diploma on her wall. She definitely finished Medicine but she wasn’t applying it much.

 

“I think I will die”

“How soon?”

“Maybe today”

“Then should we have a moment of silence for our beloved and always joyful and enthusiastic, Kim Jong Dae?”

Chen stared at Henry hard. The older intern was innocently readying through a file. He got a patient whom didn’t seem to be mentally stable. He cut himself and tried to chop his face off. It was all because of media influence. He didn’t find himself pretty enough to live in the normal society. Henry was extremely happy when he got that case. He was going to have what to talk to his beloved Ji Eun.

“Are you that inconsiderate?” Henry moved his eyes off the papers for one moment. He looked at his teammate and nodded. After that, his eyes went back to the file.

“What’s in the plan today, friends?” Sehun was a complex person. He asked something normal with a face that insinuated he doesn’t really care. He had that habit actually. He would say funny or normal sentences with an expressionless face.

“Chen’s going to die” Henry responded quickly before he got on his feet and left. Sehun’s eyes traveled to his friend. He titled his head to the side and leaned back against the chair.

“Did you have a fight with Mi Rae?” Chen shook his head. He didn’t have a fight with her; not yet. “Then probably that’s the second level. Firstly, she gave you a finished case. Secondly, she finds a reason to scold you and in the end” He trailed his hand on the neck from one side to the other, as if he would cut it.

“That’s not helping me at all” Chen was truly curious how he ended up with such ed up people in the team.

“It’s alright, hyung. You will go to a better place” He blinked a few time before he left, as well. Chen was truly wondering what he had done in his life to deserve such punishment.