So Complicated

Waltz in Sorrow

Berezka

 

On the second floor of TolBom, in the back hall from the surgical department was the horrible Room 303. In that one room, innocent intern Kim Jong Dae was trying to do his job.

“Can you, please, stay in the bed and let me take some of your blood?!” He was on the verge of losing it.

Outside the door, the nurses were making bets on how much more he could take. It had already been 2 hours since he took the case.

“I think he did something really bad if he got that case”

His teammates heard the rumors, as well. Hyuna, the only girl in his team, was growing worried. Even Sehun was reluctant to his teammate’s case. Besides, they all knew that his case was already finished. Mi Rae gave him that case just to take revenge or make fun of him.

“Mi Rae is evil. You may not believe me now, but you will feel it later on. All of you”

Henry was always the one who was putting pressure on the team. Their leader wasn’t around most of the time but Henry was enough. When there was no case, Hyuna and Sehun were trying to help or tidy in the ER. On the other side, Henry was always disappearing.

“What about you? You don’t hang with us and never help in the ER” Henry scoffed and leaned closer to her. He raised one eyebrow and bit his lip.

“I felt the wrath of the Devil so many times that I became unaffected. I am immune to her evilness” He winked and left the two. He walked down the hall, to the place he always visited.

 

The third floor was the emptiest. It had a big lounge somewhere in the back, where patients were able to play and entertain themselves. There were soft couches, big TV’s, even a game console. That was the lobby of the Therapy Department. It was seen as heaven from both the staff members and the patients. Most of them were children with cancer. Unfortunately, some of them weren’t cured. Song Ji Eun was trying her hardest to make them forget the pain. It was hard but she was a good psychologist and knew how to read their needs. They were young and wanted to have fun and make friends. She signed up for a lot of volunteering organizations. Therefore, there were volunteers coming every weekend to hang out with the patients. It was good for both children and elders. The variety of their ages was big.

That was the main reason why intern Henry fell in love with the psychologist. Ji Eun represented his ideal woman from the first time they met. She ignored him completely and he started to follow her around like a puppy. Mi Rae was so amused that she decided to make Henry a volunteer in TolBom. He started to develop some good skills in the surgical department. He had high chances to follow in his cousin's steps. That was why he hated being a surgeon. In the end he decided to help Ji Eun more.

“Oh, you came again” She was completely and indubitably not reciprocating his feelings.

“There’s nothing to do downstairs and there’s no new patient with an interesting disease. I got bored” He walked towards the couch and propped himself on it.

There were a few patients in the room and Ji Eun was trying to teach some kid how to play poker.  

“Isn’t that bad? You’re teaching a kid to play poker. What do you want? Get him become a gambler later in life?” She rolled her eyes.

“Better a gambler who knows how to play and win than one who loses all the time” She smirked.

Subtly, she reminded him of the poker games in the cafeteria. He blushed and turned his attention on the TV. She chuckled and shook her head bemusedly. There wasn’t even a game where Henry would win. He lost his pocket money in his cousin’s favor. 

“Do you have a team too?” She nodded and decided to postpone the poker with an 8 years old kid. “I don’t see them around”

“That’s because I give them work” Henry rolled his eyes. She walked towards him and sat next to him. He slightly blushed. “Mi Rae doesn’t give you any cases, does she?”

“She gave one to Jong Dae” Ji Eun frowned.

“Jong Dae?” That name was very familiar. She didn’t know where but she heard that name before. It was weird but she brushed it off quickly. “And how is he doing?”

“Bad. He got a brat case. The worst part is that he is only re-taking it. That brat has been already diagnosed and finished with” Ji Eun chuckled and grabbed a hand through her hair. Mi Rae was definitely an evil doctor.

 

“Finally!” In Mi Rae’s office, Baekhyun placed the last case on the shelf. He was done. The feeling was unbelievable. His hand was numb and he was sure he wasn’t going to use it for the rest of the night. Besides, his shift was ending soon.

He was ready to follow Mi Rae’s advice and choose two cases for himself from the pile of ‘possible new cases’ when the door opened and his best friend barged in.

“Are you seriously hating me?!” Chen’s eyes widened and he took a step back. Baekhyun was perplexed. “What are you doing in my boss’ office?” Baekhyun looked at his friend with big puppy eyes.

“Nothing” His hand was on the pile of files and he already opened it. Chen’s eyes traveled from his face to his hands. He raised one eyebrow and closed the door behind him.

“That looks like a big something to me” Baekhyun sighed and gave up.

“My boss made me clean his office today. I did quite a great job, I might say. That place was rotten” Chen’s questioning look didn’t change. “And your boss came in after I finished. She told me she has some work for me. I came here and she gave me all these cases to run through. There were around 54 cases, Jesus! And yes”

“So you did slave work for my boss and your boss” Baekhyun sighed again. It sounded harsher when his friend was saying it out loud. In the end, it was slave work. “It’s ok. It’s better than the case she gave me”

“What case?” Chen sighed heavily and took the nearest seat.

“She gave me a case of a brat who has Hernia. It was such a pain to get blood samples and consult” Baekhyun titled his head to the side and rubbed his chin.

“Weird. While going through the files, I swear I saw a similar case. Chest and abdominal pain; scared of hospitals because of early trauma” Chen’s head snapped his to his friend. “But that case was already established as solved” Chen felt like dying.

“She gave me a solved case?!” Baekhyun smiled pitifully. He definitely understood Chen’s pain. His pride as a doctor was on the line. He was trying his best yet he got zero chances to prove himself.

“Maybe I can help. She told me she will let me choose two cases for myself. If you want, you can take one and I can take one. That way, we both have equal chances to show our skills” Baekhyun’s smile was contagious. Chen felt so happy to have him as his friend. “But there is one condition”

“Sure, sure, anything” Chen was like a puppy.

“You do this weekend’s nightshifts” It didn’t seem as such an opportunity anymore. “You know I can’t work during night. You know what happened the last time”

In truth, Baekhyun was quite an annoyance at night. His personality was the complete opposite because his sleep time was changing. He wasn’t able to sleep on day so he would become worse than Henry at night. That, and he was scared of ghosts. For some reason, he thought there are ghosts in every hospital. When they first visited the morgue in school, he flew out the door in an instant.

 

The deal was done between the two friends. None had work during night until weekend. Maybe that was better. As soon as the clock struck 8 PM, the doors flew open and 3 patients got transported into the ER. Chanyeol hurried to take them in custody. He recognized one of them.

“Seriously, Jin. You should stop getting yourself in trouble” The man rolled his eyes. When Chanyeol started to touch his bleeding arm and leg, he flinched.

“Sorry doc, but I have to survive somehow” Chanyeol sighed and connected the man to the IV. He started to clean him and patch his wounds. It was nothing serious, thankfully. The three men were dangerous but they were people whom Mi Rae was involved with.

“What happened now?” Chanyeol was a curious guy.

“That freaking Woobin boycotted our sales today! He actually called the cops and we had to get outta there. After that, he instructed some of his minions to beat the out of some kid from the family. We had to interfere, doc. Family is family” Chanyeol nodded. He understood that part well. TolBom was family, too.

“You got attacked with knives and bats, right?” Jin nodded. He wasn’t per say a bad guy. He didn’t look his age at all and he was dressed formal. It was well known who in the suburbs of Korea dressed like that. “It will leave a mark. You should hide these in front of your girlfriend” Jin laughed and patted Chanyeol’s head.

“I really wish Mi Rae would end up with a guy like you” Chanyeol frowned.

“I hope not. I can’t live with someone so complicated”