Emergency Room

Waltz in Sorrow

Nightshifts at TolBom were anything but normal. For the first part of the night nothing happened. At least nothing out of ordinary. There was one patient that made even Dr Kang annoyed. She didn't show it but there was a dark mist surrounding her. 

Around midnight came a 15 year old that had been in a car accident where her older sister, who was driving, was killed.  Her face had a serious injury to it and in addition she had abdominal trauma.  The three call teams were called in to work on her.  Kris and another nurse worked on her abdomen, while Chen worked on her face with Chanyeol.  Her facial injuries were quite severe, in fact some of the worst he had seen. They were called in at about 12:30 a.m. and they were still working on her. At some point, Chanyeol told Chen to take care of the other patients too. He wanted him out of the way. 

Around half past 3 in the morning, five emergencies came with two or three men. They had the same wounds. Chen wasn't stupid. He got intrigued by the men. They were all dressed very neatly and if he didn't know better, he would have been fooled. They didn't look that bad but their injuries were very messy. One of them fought and broke a few ribs and needed a cast. Another needed a few painkillers and bandages for a waist wound. Most of them had scratches and minor wounds. Only one of them, who looked to be the youngest, had a severe wound on the side of his head and needed stitches. He had to spend a few days in hospital too. He didn't look older than 20. Chen was really curious. 

"How does someone get beaten up like that?" The boy chuckled. His head hurt at the action and cringed. 

"I didn't try too much. It just happened" 

"But not as severe as that" The boy shrugged. "Did you fight those men?" Chen was trying to be silent but his patient started to laugh loudly. 

"No. God, no. The fight wasn't our fault. It just happened. That's how the dark side is" He checked out his doctor and smirked. "You're new, aren't you?" Chen nodded. "I guess you will see us a lot more then. We visit often" That didn't sound like they were happily visiting the hospital. They were getting hurt a lot. 

"Why did you choose this life?" His eyes softened when he saw someone he cared about.  
 

"She chose me and I love it" Chen frowned and turned his head in order to see what his patient was looking at. It was Mi Rae and she didn't look too happy. She was walking towards them.  

"Explain to me how did you get into a fight when you just got beaten up a few nights ago" Truthfully, Chen was perplexed. The tone she used was harsh but she was looking at him softly. She was scolding him. 

The boy shrugged innocently. She rubbed her forehead and placed her other hand on her waist. 

"You are grounded. For the next month you will work in the company, Hyuk" The boy looked terrified.

"No! I don't want to!" She narrowed her eyes at him.

"No? Then I should make it worse. You will work under Min Jun directly" His eyes widened and cringed. His headache just intensified.

"But I don't wanna" He was whining like a teenager. Chen was still not believing what he was witnessing. Of course, Mi Rae scoffed and left the room right away. The boy moved his attention on him. He looked easily enough to manipulate. "Can you talk to noona please? I don't want to work under Min Jun" 

"Who's Min Jun?" The boy blinked in astonishment.

"You really don't know, do you?" Chen shook his head. "Kang Min Jun. The CEO of Ads Company. He works in advertisment designs. He is an "

 

It took the whole night for the intern to realize what his patient told him.

"Wait. Kang?" He turned towards her office. "Kang? Seriously? There's two of them?" He sighed and fell on the nearest chair. He started to pity that poor young man.

 

When Baekhyun entered the ER that morning, he found a lot of people complaining and a lot of mess. He found Chen through the mass. He was looking really annoyed. There was a man who was clinging to him. Baekhyun raised an eyebrow but didn't interfere. He was enjoying it too much.

"So what's the problem, sir?" The man seemed to have a lot of pride too. He grabbed a paper out of his pocket.

"My back has been hurting for a while now. I also think I have a problem with my liver. I searched on the internet and-" Baekhyun laughed. Chen was going to kill that man. Or that was what it seemed.

"Sir, I'm going to run  afew tests and we will find out what is the problem. Please, come with me" He wrapped one arm around that old man and tried to help him walk. Instead, the elder brushed him off and walked by himself. Chen sighed.

"You know, there are four types of patients in the ER" Chen glanced at his friend and placed his hands in his pockets. He was waiting patiently for Baekhyun's self made theory. 

"Enlighten me"

"There's the type who’s had headaches for 10 years or foot pain for even longer. Most of them don't say anything new and they do not need emergency medical caring. I call them the Commoners. There's the patient with troublesome symptoms. Nobody—not their primary care physician, not the five specialists they’ve seen—has given him a satisfactory answer. He seeks for as much as he can get but let's be serious. We don't have the time and resources for that in the ER.I call them the Seekers. There's the type of patient who looks up his symptoms on the Internet. It might turn up that he has a brain tumor when he actually doesn't have anything serious. They want to know too much and they often get confused. They are the Navers. And there is the patient who sais yes to everything we ask. Headache? Chest pain? Shortness of breath? Fatigue? Muscle aches? Yes, yes, of course, yes. That is annoying and they end up lying to themselves. I call them The Yes Men" Baekhyun looked pretty proud of his list. Chen blinked in astonishment.

"And you learned that after working in the ER for one week?" Baekhyun smiled brightly and nodded. 

"And that's only the beginning" chen was scared to ask for more. He looked like he already labeled everything in the ER, most especially the people.