Chapter 1

Punch

Chapter 1

 

“Wait, what?” Yongguk perked up, turning to face me.

 

“Say what now?” said Himchan, raising an eyebrow.

 

“YOU DID WHAT?!” Daehyun cried out, his eyes widened.

 

Youngjae scoffed. “You're joking, right?”

 

“What kind of lessons?” Jongup asked curiously.

 

“I don't know about this, noona,” Zelo said wearily.

 

I sighed, slumping down onto a chair. I sort of had a feeling they'd react this way. “I'm so sorry, guys,” I said, burying my face in my hands. “It was on a whim and, it would mean a lot if you could just help them out. Just for a little while, I ask.”

 

“How long is a while?” Himchan spoke up, narrowing his eyes at me suspiciously.

 

“It's negotiable,” I curtly said.

 

“What's that supposed to mean?” Daehyun asked defiantly.

 

“Why would you sign us up for something we don't want to do, Amanda?” Youngjae asked in frustration.

 

“Wait, what did Amanda noona sign us up for?” Jongup asked, turning to Youngjae.

 

“Muay Thai lessons?” Zelo said, scratching the back of his head, unsure himself.

 

“What?” It was Jongup's turn to scratch his head in confusion. “What's that?”

 

“I think it's a form of fighting,” Zelo told his best friend.

 

“So are we learning how to fight?” Jongup beamed. “Cool!”

 

“I don't think any of the hyungs are happy about this,” Zelo stated.

 

“You know,” Yongguk spoke up. “The least you could have done was talk to us about it first.”

 

“Exactly!” Himchan added.

 

“Even if I talked to you guys, the answer would have been no so I did what I had to do and wrote your names down on the sign in sheet,” I said.

 

“Wait,” Youngjae raised his hand, stepping forward. “How did this come about anyways?”

 

I cleared my throat, shutting my eyes slightly. “Well, I went to visit a friend and may have told him you guys might be interested. He was more than willing to sign you guys up and you're meeting with him tomorrow.”

 

“WHAT?!” they all exclaimed, startling me.

 

“Guys,” I begged of them. “I assure you that Ryan is a really nice guy. He won't scare you guys away. And he's a really great teacher so I think you'll be in good hands.”

 

“Ryan?” Yongguk repeated. “Wait a minute. Is that who I think it is?”

 

I sighed, then nodded. “Yes, Yongguk. That's exactly who you think it is.”

 

“Wait, who's Ryan?” I could hear one of the guys ask.

 

“I don't know,” I heard another mutter. “Clearly, he's a friend of Amanda's.”

 

“It seems like Yongguk hyung knows him,” another pointed out.

 

“I doubt it,” said Himchan. “Bang might know about him but I'm pretty sure he hasn't even met the guy. At least, not that I know of.”

 

Eventually, Yongguk and I turned to face them. They immediately clammed up.

 

“Care to explain what happened?” Yongguk finally asked, crossing his broad arms over his chest.

 

I frowned. “Well,” I began. “I kind of went to go visit him today at the gym.”

 

“Kind of?” Yongguk scoffed, shaking his head. “Kind of?!”

 

“Okay fine, I went to go see him, okay?!” I snapped. “Are you happy now?!”

 

“Go on,” he said flatly.

 

“Anyways, I went to the gym where he was working and as we were catching up, I may have asked for a tour of the new gym,” I said, looking down in defeat. “It's still a relatively new business which means they're still in dire need of clients. I mean they have a group of regulars who attend all the classes and stuff, but I think they'd like to add more people which brings me to my suggestion.”

 

“I knew I wasn't going to like where this was going,” Daehyun muttered.

 

I turned to shoot him a look which immediately shut him up.

 

“I may have told him about you guys,” I continued. “Of course, he knows nothing about BAP but then you guys have a fanbase and I feel like BAP's influence on such a small business could market the gym to potential new clients and business could be booming!!!” I exclaimed excitedly. “And, I told him that you guys might be interested and he'd love to meet with you guys tomorrow, if that's okay.”

 

“And, what if we don't want to meet with him?” Youngjae countered back.

 

I frowned, giving each guy a pleading look. “Guys, I made a promise to Ryan. I wouldn't want to let him down,” I finally said. “I didn't necessarily sign you up for lessons but it could be nice, you know.” I turned to Daehyun. “You could use this as an opportunity to burn off that cheesecake.”

 

Daehyun's jaw locked. “What did you just—“ he prepared himself to charge towards me, only to be stopped my Youngjae, who shook his head. He refused to tear the dark glint in his eyes away from me.

 

I chose to ignore him before turning to Himchan. “And, didn't that fan from the fanmeet throw you under the bus about your weight?” I reminded him.

 

His expression grew solemn. I knew I'd struck a nerve on that one.

 

“Did I forget to mention there are going to be a bunch of pretty girls working out?” I added with a sly grin. “They're wearing tight workout clothes and shorts. Not to mention sweating from a good workout.” I sang out.

 

His solemn expression soon turned into a satisfied smirk. “Good point,” he finally said.

 

“Oh gosh,” groaned Yongguk.

 

“I mean, you all could use a new workout regimen,” I finally said, eying them one by one. “I assure you that Ryan is a great teacher. If not, you all could go to Master Andy, who's like a well-respected father figure to everyone. I mean, they're all great teachers.” I beamed. “And, if it'll make you guys feel any better, if you guys choose to sign up, I'll join with you.”

 

The whole room grew silent. I was assuming they'd readily agree as soon as I told them I'd join. Boy, was I wrong. So much for trying to encourage them.

 

“There's no way out of this, isn't it?” I could hear Daehyun ask Youngjae.

 

“No, Dae,” Youngjae shook his head, sighing heavily. “There isn't. Unfortunately.”

 

Yongguk sighed, “Alright, here's what we're gonna do,” he garnered everyone's attention. “We're gonna go meet with Ryan tomorrow.”

 

“WHAT?! But hyung!” the other guys whined with the exception of Himchan, who yelled: “Bang!”

 

“Relax,” Yongguk held up a hand to calm them down. “I said we're just going to meet with him. I didn't say we'd sign up or anything.” He turned to give me an assuring look. “If we don't like it, then we just won't sign up. And that's final.” He finally said. “Alright. You guys could all leave now.” He dismissed them leaving the two of us alone.

 

“Thanks,” I said turning to face him.

 

“Yep,” he curtly replied.

 

“I owe you guys one,” I prodded.

 

“Don't worry about it,” he said dryly.

 

His unresponsiveness was starting to frustrate me. “What's wrong?” I asked, furrowing my brows.

 

He sighed heavily. “Nothing,” he said.

 

“No, really,” I firmly said, “What is it?” I demanded.

 

Eventually, he relented before turning to face me. “Tell me,” he said. “What do you hope to gain from all of this?”

 

I looked at him, confused. “What do you mean?”

 

“You know what I mean,” he firmly said. “Why would you drag us into this?”

 

I scoffed. Is he really going there? “I just wanted to help out AND I wanted you guys to try something new and different for once,” I told him. “I mean, I'm even agreeing to take lessons with you, for crying out loud!”

 

“No!” he snapped, startling me. “That's not what I meant! I'm talking about him!” He was breathing hard. I mean, I've heard Yongguk yell before but it's different when you're the one he's yelling at. My heart was literally palpitating at that point.

 

From that moment, I knew exactly what he meant. “I—I,” I began, my voice was shaking. “I still like him.” I confessed, looking down in defeat.

 

He scoffed, shaking his head. “No surprise there,” he laughed bitterly. “You still like him after all those times he shot you down.”

 

“He didn't shoot me down,” I countered back defiantly. “He was just busy and didn't seem to notice my feelings for him. That's all. He was going through a tough time and I realized it wasn't a good time,” I gave him a hopeful smile. “Maybe, this is my time.”

 

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” he asked in a concerned manner. Leave it to Yongguk to be protective of me.

 

“I wouldn't have come to you guys if this wasn't a good idea, Gukkie,” I said, before smiling back at him. “I have a plan though.”

 

“Go on,” he said, staring back at me expectantly.

 

I shut my eyes momentarily, taking a deep breath. “Okay, here's what we do,” I began, “If you guys decide to sign up for the lessons, I would like for you guys to befriend him. He's a really nice guy, you can't hate him. And as soon as you guys become great friends, I want to use this as an opportunity to finally make my move and tell him how I feel! It's full-proof!”

 

Yongguk gaped at me in astonishment. “You seriously watch too many movies, Amanda,” he pointed out. “Are you sure about this?”

 

I shrugged innocently. “Not sure, but it's worth a shot,” I said with a hopeful smile.

 

He frowned. “Honestly, I don't think I'm gonna like him but if he can make you happy, then I don't see why not,” he finally said.

 

“So you'll help me?!” I beamed.

 

He sighed, slumping forward before nodding. “I guess so,” he finally said.

 

Immediately, I lunged forward, wrapping my arms around his neck. “OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I shouted. “You have no idea how happy I am, Gukkie!”

 

He chuckled, patting my back slightly. “Yeah, yeah,” he grumbled.

 

As I pulled away from him, our faces were mere inches apart. And for a moment, we stared into each other's eyes. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. No, I thought to myself. Not again. History cannot repeat itself again. So instinctively, I back away from him. “Thanks again,” I said before turning to leave.

 

If I was like any of Yongguk's fangirls, they'd probably die right then and there given the close proximity we were both in just now. I'd be lying if I told you that I never once had feelings for him. I did at one point but the reality of it slapped me in the face when I realized he didn't feel the same way for me AND he was out of my league. His image was on the line and I didn't want to ruin it some more if I were to date him. There was just too much drama involved and I didn't need any of it. Eventually, I got over my foolish feelings for him and became friends with him again after that. I realized, we were better off as friends nonetheless. And as a friend, he must help bring me and Ryan together. That's just how it's supposed to be.